You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SJ_Sailer

Z-39 Smoke & Hydro

17 comments in this topic

[ADOPT]
[ADOPT]
Members
883 posts
2,655 battles

Has anyone successfully used Smoke and Hydro with a Z-39 to penetrate DD smoke cover and secure a kill?

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,541 posts
11,454 battles

Yes. 

I generally drop the torps into the smoke first and only after they pass do I pop Hydro. 

I also wait to smoke until I am spotted. Sometimes you can Hydro and shoot without being seen because of the enemies smoke. 

Edited by HazardDrake

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,747 posts
16,273 battles
33 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Has anyone successfully used Smoke and Hydro with a Z-39 to penetrate DD smoke cover and secure a kill?

Just once?

Or every game?

I do it 65% of the games in her.

[ADOPT]
[ADOPT]
Members
883 posts
2,655 battles
1 minute ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Just once?

Or every game?

I do it 65% of the games in her.

I have 3 battles so far and have yet to try it.  She has 5K hydro so need to get that ring on the Mini Map and charge a smoke cloud until inside the ring.  So far I have only ever used hydro defensively for spotting torps, never offense.

[CRMSN]
Members
8,527 posts
9,191 battles

Repeatedly. I mean, what's the point of having the tools if one isn't going to use them? Z-39 is a DD murdering machine.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,747 posts
16,273 battles
58 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

I have 3 battles so far and have yet to try it.  She has 5K hydro so need to get that ring on the Mini Map and charge a smoke cloud until inside the ring.  So far I have only ever used hydro defensively for spotting torps, never offense.

Don't forget you can torp them.

Usually they pop forward when spotted so lead them and enjoy.

[ADOPT]
[ADOPT]
Members
883 posts
2,655 battles
15 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Repeatedly. I mean, what's the point of having the tools if one isn't going to use them? Z-39 is a DD murdering machine.

Yes, I admit I have not used one of the Z-39's best abilities yet but I am getting there.

[ADOPT]
[ADOPT]
Members
883 posts
2,655 battles
2 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

I have a few times.  The hydro rush is very situational due to the threat of counter detection or running into more than you can chew up.

Yes I was thinking situational.  Where 2 DD's contest a cap and can only spot each other.

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,786 posts
7,767 battles

I found it to be a great tool mid game, when you are facing less threats that are grouped up while the DDs still tend to be alive. Your large hitpool which is likely to be larger than that of your opponent will come in handy here.

[VCRUZ]
Members
3,303 posts
8,136 battles

Yes. I use it all the time. Bait the enemy DD to use smoke, than pop hydro and either kill him or push him out of smoke and take his smoke for yourself.

Just need to becrefull with other ebemi ships in the area.

[ADOPT]
[ADOPT]
Members
883 posts
2,655 battles
22 minutes ago, Xlap said:

Yes. I use it all the time. Bait the enemy DD to use smoke, than pop hydro and either kill him or push him out of smoke and take his smoke for yourself.

Just need to becrefull with other ebemi ships in the area.

So make sure you PT or Detected falls off before going in.

[ADOPT]
[ADOPT]
Members
883 posts
2,655 battles
59 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Any other Z-39 DD murdering tips?

[CRMSN]
Members
8,527 posts
9,191 battles
45 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Any other Z-39 DD murdering tips?

Know the maps, the entrance and egress to the caps is vitally important. Know and understand the DD's you face, just because you have the tools doesn't mean they can't easily murder you in return if you get cocky and/or sloppy. More, you have cruiser guns, they don't, while your torps can, and should, murder them, those torps will also give you easy shots to gun them down, as they try to evade them.

Members
55 posts
4,367 battles

Sure have since she carries that 5km hydro but Haida is just generally more suited for it.