Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
OgreMkV

Advice for Premium Ship Purchase (Dubloons)

13 comments in this topic

[POP]
Members
1,294 posts
9,734 battles

So, I've got almost 6k dubloons and was thinking about a ship purchase. My choices are: 
Perth
Duca D"Aosta
Huanghe
De Grasse
Aurora (no, I'm not getting this, but it's in my range)
Molotov

Do you think that any of these are a "must have"? Why?
Are any of these a "cool ship, but would never actually play"? (I already have a bunch of port queens.)
Or should I just save the dubs until Alaska comes out and use them to convert to FreeXP? (and a few port slots while they are cheap)

Thanks!

• Cool 1

[POP]
Members
991 posts
12,468 battles

I like the Perth, well mostly because I loved the Leander, and I can use one captain on Haida, Vampire, and Perth.

Molotov is also a good bote.!

• Cool 1

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
531 posts
3,572 battles

None are really must haves.  Perth, De Grasse and Molotov all have their quirks and are "fun enough".  Perth has a very strong smoke, De Grasse is a solid CL and Molotov has hilarious guns on a terrible hull.

I assume you missed the sale as well since it was suppressed to end today, so personally I would wait and see what comes of the next big event unless you desperately need a premium ship for some reason.

• Cool 3

[HINON]
Members
1,981 posts
19,363 battles

Agree with the above.  None are a must have; but several are fun.

I would choose Perth if you like the hunting DDs in a smoke.  Huanghe if you have a PA line you are grinding as she makes a great trainer for the Capt, or Molotov if you like the Russian cruiser line.

De Grasse isn't a bad ship, just not a really great one.  Probably the most well balanced of the list but kinda boring.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
888 posts
14,840 battles

After 3 years of the game, truth is,, take some more doublons,, and buy anyT8 you like.

I have lots of t5-t6 ships but ye if not this snowflakes event i ll keep them in port :D 

I know it because when i play in that event all my ships i find instead 30 lower tier ships it will be better have 5-6 T8 ships.

T8+ give you more average exp, more average silver, since elite xp now don't need to have each class each nation premium ships /as before/, T8 count to emblems mission, are more balanced etc.  

You can even consider take any regular tech tree ship like bismarck yamato, fletcher and buy themn ,, premium camo,,  train 19point captain and oocne you have one you ll snowballing retrain points for other captains.

Edited by Gandariel
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
22,146 posts
16,004 battles

DeGrasse is a good base line CL. Molotov is a bit more challenging to drive well but quite rewarding when you do.

• Cool 1

[VW]
Members
3,228 posts
16,288 battles
37 minutes ago, OgreMkV said:

So, I've got almost 6k dubloons and was thinking about a ship purchase. My choices are: 
Perth
Duca D"Aosta
Huanghe
De Grasse
Aurora (no, I'm not getting this, but it's in my range)
Molotov

Do you think that any of these are a "must have"? Why?
Are any of these a "cool ship, but would never actually play"? (I already have a bunch of port queens.)
Or should I just save the dubs until Alaska comes out and use them to convert to FreeXP? (and a few port slots while they are cheap)

Thanks!

My advice is wait till next year. The sale just ended, why buy today?

• Cool 1

[ARP]
Supertester
337 posts
8,756 battles

Perth - She is a great ship and I like to think of her as a mini-belfast. shes a terror at T6, only drawback is commonwealth cpt only so she can be a slow trainer unless you use a bunch of time or bunch of cpt fxp. 

Duca D"Aosta - she's speedy at 36.5kts and can fit Hydro / DFAA / Spotting Aircraft all at the same time. drawback same as perth slow cpt building. 

Huanghe - She basically a perth with the option of torpedo reload, not bad, but I would just snag the Perth. 

De Grasse - Really nice 152mm guns with fast reload, good torps, fast and hard to hit... and that sweet dazzle camo.

Molotov - She defines 'glass cannon'. She is a powerhouse with those 180mm guns, but if someone blows a kiss to hard at you then :etc_swear:

really if I had to pick based on my playstyle and whats the meta is today. I would go Perth. I mean lowest detection cruiser in her tier, HE & Royal Navy AP rounds, great Maneuverability and the unique version of smoke that allows Perth to move at low speeds and take her smoke cloud with her.

[ARGSY]
Members
15,156 posts
9,917 battles
34 minutes ago, OgreMkV said:

My choices are: 

For each one of your choices, ask yourself:

1) Do I have any other ships for this nation? If not, seriously rethink the purchase.

2) Of the ones which answer yes for above, which ones have captains that can cross over with at least a few of their more useful skills still relevant, or are there glaring gaps/inconsistences? (Let's say you run Pan-Asian destroyers and have them heavily specced for guns, to be able to handle enemy DD's since you can't torpedo them - BFT/AFT will only buff the Huang He's AA, but will be pointless on the main armament and a Lo Yang would be a better match. French battleships at higher tiers are good for secondaries, but how good is the ubiquitous BFT/AFT/MFCS combo going to be on the De Grasse? And so on, as is applicable to your circumstances.)

3) Does this ship do anything that something else in my fleet doesn't already do well?

[WOLFX]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,018 posts
2,992 battles

My advice would be to do what I'm doing with my 6K dabloons.

Sit on them until  few patches after the CV rework rewrites the meta.

Great ships may become meh, and port queens may become awesome. No clue how it will all shake out at this point, so unless you really need one for some reason I'd advise waiting.

[JOLLY]
Alpha Tester
568 posts
4,710 battles

My advice is to wait until 8.0 and then assess which ship is the best considering the new meta.

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
13 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

For each one of your choices, ask yourself:

1) Do I have any other ships for this nation? If not, seriously rethink the purchase.

2) Of the ones which answer yes for above, which ones have captains that can cross over with at least a few of their more useful skills still relevant, or are there glaring gaps/inconsistences? (Let's say you run Pan-Asian destroyers and have them heavily specced for guns, to be able to handle enemy DD's since you can't torpedo them - BFT/AFT will only buff the Huang He's AA, but will be pointless on the main armament and a Lo Yang would be a better match. French battleships at higher tiers are good for secondaries, but how good is the ubiquitous BFT/AFT/MFCS combo going to be on the De Grasse? And so on, as is applicable to your circumstances.)

3) Does this ship do anything that something else in my fleet doesn't already do well?

This! Very sound advice.

[ICOP]
Members
1,078 posts
4,068 battles

At this point, sit on the doubloons.  They may offer different ships in the future and the tech tree premium ship sale ended earlier today.

Sign in to follow this