You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lochnivar

Thoughts on the Asashio

12 comments in this topic

[D-H-O]
Members
176 posts
9,912 battles

So, Santa was kind to me and I got a LOT of premiums this year, including the Asashio.  This is one ship that I've been drooling over since it first arrived.  Not so much for it's abilities, but for it's gimmick.  I like gimmick ships.  I love my Atlanta and I bought the Terrible simply for it's speed. (MEEP MEEP!)  So, when I dropped it in a crate, my jaw also dropped.

So, what's my take on it?  I like it.  A lot.  Not so much for it's BB-torpedoes-of-doom, but for the package it really brings to the game.  This is how a destroyer should play.  More specifically, this is how an IJN destroyer should play.

Before the BB'ers blow their tops, consider this.  It's so freaking easy to dodge torpedoes if you are paying attention.  You really don't have to know where the torps are and still avoid them.  With the Asashio torpedoes, it's more the case.  Yes they are fast (I have mine to the 72 kt. version); however, they still take almost a minute, or so, to get to their full range.  As soon as you see your spotted icon go off and you can't see who spotted you, you need to start turning, moving, something.  Any form of deviation will throw off torps that have already been fired.  I don't really feel bad a BB has had a full minute to maneuver and still hits my fish.  As a BB player, I don't get salty when I get torped, I should have been more agile.  That's on me.

That being said, the Asashio torpedoes aren't the game enders that they are feared to be.  A savvy BB player is already taking evasive reactions.  I've fired many a torpedo salvo that went wasted because people have discovered WASD hacks.  (Damn you Jingles!)

The ship also isn't the one trick pony that people pan her as.  It's true that her torps can only hit BBs and CVs; however, against an alert CA or DD player, you're not going to hit them any ways.  You're really not losing anything there.  Her guns aren't great.  They aren't bad, but they aren't great.  

Where the Asashio shines is her detectability.  I've gotten her down to 5.4, which is insane.  As long as I'm keeping an eye out, I can roam the map and never get spotted.  More importantly, I can roam the map, spotting for my team.  It's not uncommon for my games to end with spotting damage over 100k and 0 for my actual damage.  As long as others are hitting what I've spotted, I'm happy to keep them lit.

And that's where IJN destroyers really need to be in this game.  We don't need another offensively minded DD line.  Originally, they were designed to be the "passive" class with the USN as the "aggressive" class.  However, lazy players, both DDs and other classes, demanded a change to the existing line that pushed them from the niche.  Now we have a creep to where ALL DDs are offensive weapons, not the support weapons they really are.

I know, I know, a lot of players don't want to be passive players.  I understand that.  There are other lines to play.  If you want to knife fight, go USN.  Gun and run?  Go Soviet.  Speedy? Go French.  Agile?  Go British.  Go ninja?  Sure, go IJN.  But stop complaining when you can't delete BBs and you are relegated to support roles.

And that's the lesson from the Asashio that I'm learning.  With a detection range of 5.4, if I'm playing offensive, I'm really misplaying the ship.  I should be looking for ways to keep enemy ships spotted and quick cap grabs.  If my actual damage is higher than my spotting damage, I'm doing it wrong.  Actual torpedo runs should be when the opportunity arises, not the whole point of the ship itself.

• Cool 6

[-K-]
Members
7,298 posts
12,003 battles

Well said.  Finally, someone who actually gets how to play an Asashio properly.  +1 to you.

Asashio may be one of the most misplayed ships in the entire game.  Those 20km torpedoes foster some very bad habits from inexperienced players.

• Cool 1

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,746 posts
5,814 battles

I saw an Asashio B trying to torpedo a Cossack at close range last night. Guess how that went for him.:Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

[ICOP]
Members
1,042 posts
15,211 battles
1 hour ago, Lochnivar said:

I should be looking for ways to keep enemy ships spotted and quick cap grabs.  If my actual damage is higher than my spotting damage, I'm doing it wrong.

I agree with a lot of what you said, brother. Particularly about using the ship to spot and contest caps. I think the torpedoes might, as you suggest, cause a fair number of players to sit back and make use of that torpedo range, rather than pushing in and getting close. But I believe it is possible to spot and do damage.

Respects,

Am

• Cool 1

[D-H-O]
Members
176 posts
9,912 battles
2 minutes ago, Amracil said:

I agree with a lot of what you said, brother. Particularly about using the ship to spot and contest caps. I think the torpedoes might, as you suggest, cause a fair number of players to sit back and make use of that torpedo range, rather than pushing in and getting close. But I believe it is possible to spot and do damage.

Respects,

Am

Very much agree.  Perhaps a better way that I should have said that is something like if you focus on making your actual damage number higher than your spotting number, you're playing her wrong.  Those torps are dangerous when they do hit.

• Cool 1

[D-H-O]
Members
176 posts
9,912 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

Well said.  Finally, someone who actually gets how to play an Asashio properly.  +1 to you.

Asashio may be one of the most misplayed ships in the entire game.  Those 20km torpedoes foster some very bad habits from inexperienced players.

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

I saw an Asashio B trying to torpedo a Cossack at close range last night. Guess how that went for him.:Smile_teethhappy:

torp-a-cossack-with-an-asashio-im-afraid

[90TH]
Members
1,096 posts
9,811 battles

I had an Asashio game recently where I never fired the guns, and landed zero torps, yet I competely controlled our side of the map with smoke, spotting, and the simple fleet-in-being threat. My mere presence forced the red BBs to run away into bad positions where they were easily farmed.  My low detection kept cruisers and DDs alike from finding me, although they wasted time trying.

I was easily the most influential ship in the game, with zero damage. The problem is, I was also near the bottom of the XP charts:Smile_facepalm: Zero compliments and I’m sure my teammates who hid behind rocks taking advantage of my spotting patted themselves on the back for how they carried me, smh.

One addendum about the guns: they are useable but you need to alpha strike, hide, then alpha strike again... I’ve taken out plenty of red DD gunboats this way. When two DD’s meet, often one will turn and smoke out of sheer habit. This gives you a chance to land one volley then go undetected again because of their smoke. You now have a health advantage. Find that DD, alpha strike once, the use your smoke.  Now it’s 100% health vs 75% health and they are even more afraid to engage anyone.  You can snowball like this...

Edited by n00bot
  • Cool 1

[PHD]
Members
748 posts
3,824 battles

I am new to the game and very new to DDs. Seems like it works best for my Umikaze to flank the red team's ships and fire torps undetected. It helps if there is a friendly CL to keep the other DDs distracted.  Seems like I get killed acting like other DDs, rushing caps and so forth. 

[WOLFC]
Members
1,384 posts
7,599 battles

The most fun is the BB's who call me a "Coward" for torping them from past concealment range - they don't realise I'm within 7 km of them.

Best role for Asashio - folding up a flank in concert with a BB & a CL.  Red  BB's run scared, DD's get wasted & CL's don't know where to fire.

[BGA]
Members
18 posts
3,600 battles

Beyond OP the quick torp reload and stealth torp is major [edited] on this ship. The only other lines with quick reload really only have it because they only get of 6 torps at a time with the asashio you get off 8 alone.It is not easy to dodge torps like you say when that ship has 1km distance detection torps. You nee hydro to be able to detect those and no BB has wide enough hydro to dodge any

Edited by KeDoG3