You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
groundace

Musashi, Jean Bart, or Salem for fun?

69 comments in this topic

Members
77 posts
5,846 battles

Hello, I'm close to being able to afford Jean Bart and Salem and have been able to get Musashi for a few weeks. But I've been debating which one to get. Since i'm not interested specifically farming coal much longer I'll likely only ever get around to buying one of them. So to those that own any of them or all three, which is the most fun to play? I'm not asking for the best or most competitive since I'm one of the weird bunch that consider Gasconge and Vanguard their favorite ships, but rather which is the most enjoyable to play.

Also as side notes

1.I main co-op (again one of the weird bunch) so for instance Salem's gimped radar has reduced effect on my decisions (Although in the 8.0 PT destroyer bots will actually stay and stealth fire in their smoke) . and yes, I'm aware that @LittleWhiteMouse Reviewed (with the exception of the Musashi, though I already own Yamato) as meh for co-op but I just want a fun free ship for the (belated, i'm lazy with coal farming) holidays.

2. Yes I've considered Flint and Black, but I've already done the math and unless I buy steel monsters I won't be able to afford either even with a coupon, so I'll likely convert my free steel to coal.

Sincerest apologies if my format is confusing or hard on the eyes. Anyway thanks in advance for any comments or advice, happy holidays, and best of luck in the new year.

[PVE]
Members
16,228 posts
10,762 battles

Musashi, Jean Bart, or Salem for fun?

• Funny 1

Members
77 posts
5,846 battles
6 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Funny, but my brain is being a big ol' doink and can't for the life of me tell what you mean in relation to the question.

Members
77 posts
5,846 battles
1 minute ago, KiwiSmurf said:

Musashi, shes gone soon, and shes a super fun

like dev stikes nearly every game?

I know shes good but I already own Yamato, with the HSF perm camo no less. Is it worth having both? sounds like it'd be more of the same.

[NZS]
Beta Testers
59 posts
Just now, groundace said:

I know shes good but I already own Yamato, with the HSF perm camo no less. Is it worth having both? sounds like it'd be more of the same.

both pretty much the same, but  Musashi, gets to see tier 7s, and its highly amusing

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
16,228 posts
10,762 battles

Jean Bart and Salem aren't going anywhere.

[NZS]
Beta Testers
59 posts

id still get her for the "rare" factor and credit making, unless you already have a mighty mo.

just saying one day you will regret not getting it, like i did with mighty mo ><

[ARGSY]
Members
13,592 posts
8,775 battles
24 minutes ago, groundace said:

I'm close to being able to afford Jean Bart and Salem

I was very recently in the situation you are in, and I chose Salem. Why?

1) I had recently bought Musashi for free XP, so I already have a Tier 9 premium battleship and did not feel like I needed another.

2) Taking the Tier 10 choice, my first Tier 10 ship ever, means that I now have my own ship for Clan Battles, in which I can practice and improve at leisure in between, and which I can also take into Randoms any time I want, something which is not possible with the rental ships. Ditto Ranked, if we ever go back to T8/10 Ranked Battles again.

3) If I want to do Clan Battles a LOT, or if Ranked goes back to the Tier 8/10 format, Salem's service costs are stupidly cheap. So cheap that I can run her in co-op at a profit if I want to chill at high tier, without even mounting any economic flags - only the camo she comes with. For a prolonged campaign, that's important.

I am happy with the ship I chose.

Be aware that my reasons may not fit your situation. I present them as a point of view and food for thought, to place into your own context as applicable. I personally would not convert steel for coal, because you never know when other steel events may come up that would enable you to get Flint or Black, but that's your choice.

• Cool 1

Members
3,781 posts
4,102 battles

If you like the Yamato play style, sure get Musashi. Less accurate and not great AA or secondary build options though. Still fun to wreck things. Jean Bart if you want to be on the move all the time, with speed and reload booster on your side. You can deal with your side and get right back into the action before Christmas. 

Not sure about Salem though if you think you'll want the better heal and like the Des Moines playstyle, sure why not. 

Edited by Yoshiblue

[VW]
Members
3,062 posts
15,639 battles
4 minutes ago, groundace said:

The mushy prints xp and credits better than yammy. Plus your 19pt capt will generate more capt xp

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
956 posts
7,792 battles

The reload booster on the Jean Bart makes for next-level enjoyment in almost every  game. I absolutely love that ship. Prints credits as well. 

[NZS]
Beta Testers
59 posts

pretty silly question tho tbh

get the ship thats going away 1st, then by time comes around again for removal of more ships, u will have earn enough coal/FXP and u can get them before they go too.

you really dont want to miss out on a ship this relatively easy to get and is good, its being removed for a reason :P

[TCNNA]
Members
1,061 posts
17,341 battles

Not a BB fan, I got musashi from a container, but not use it much. I bought with coal Salem. Just one battle and in co-op with 10% clan discount is 27k of repair. I only play co-op. Looks like a good cruiser trainer.  Imho

[WOLF3]
Members
1,642 posts
6,294 battles

I have Musashi and Salem.  I am also a PvE main.

I have great fun in both but Salem is more effective and more fun in co-op due to the nature of the meta.  Quick action, over early.

My highest damage game is in the Musa, but sometimes she just gets there too late to be effective.

I would Salem, if I were you.

[NZS]
Beta Testers
59 posts
Just now, Captain_Slattery said:

I have Musashi and Salem.  I am also a PvE main.

I have great fun in both but Salem is more effective and more fun in co-op due to the nature of the meta.  Quick action, over early.

My highest damage game is in the Musa, but sometimes she just gets there too late to be effective.

I would Salem, if I were you.

Salem is not going any were tho, so why the rush to get it? get Musa before it goes, re-build coal then get Salem or JB

[ARGSY]
Members
13,592 posts
8,775 battles
3 minutes ago, KiwiSmurf said:

get Musa before it goes

If he didn't already have the Yamato, I'd be advising this as well.

It seems to me that one of the attractions of the Musashi was having a Yamato-class battleship without having to grind or FXP all the way up the line for it and then deal with Tier 10 service costs. Plus the Musashi, being a premium, can easily switch captains in and out. I wonder how many people got her who have one or more ARP battleships and/or the Ishizuchi and just wanted something at higher tiers, e.g. for permanent campaigns and to share their captain(s) with for XP farming, without having to grind up the whole tree or do any retraining. (And yes, that's me; I have both Ishizuchi and Musashi but in the tech tree I'm still on the Kawachi.)

[NZS]
Beta Testers
59 posts
8 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If he didn't already have the Yamato, I'd be advising this as well.

It seems to me that one of the attractions of the Musashi was having a Yamato-class battleship without having to grind or FXP all the way up the line for it and then deal with Tier 10 service costs. Plus the Musashi, being a premium, can easily switch captains in and out. I wonder how many people got her who have one or more ARP battleships and/or the Ishizuchi and just wanted something at higher tiers, e.g. for permanent campaigns and to share their captain(s) with for XP farming, without having to grind up the whole tree or do any retraining. (And yes, that's me; I have both Ishizuchi and Musashi but in the tech tree I'm still on the Kawachi.)

i get that, but Musashi is going soon, how many people to this very day regret they missed out mighty mo, thats just a iowa?? Musashi will be the same story

Members
3,781 posts
4,102 battles

Me. Radar and a real credit maker, why didn't I grind the free exp when I could? 

[ARGSY]
Members
13,592 posts
8,775 battles
3 minutes ago, KiwiSmurf said:

how many people to this very day regret they missed out on it? Musashi will be the same

It all depends on your world-view. Do you want the Musashi because you want THE MUSASHI, or do you want the Musashi because she's a Yamato-class battleship and you want that health pool and 18.1 inch main battery? If you already have a Yamato-class battleship (the Yamato herself) and already have access to that hull and gun combination, you may not want or need the Musashi and the resources required to get her can be diverted to other things.

I certainly understand where you're coming from, though, and since I do NOT have the Yamato and have no idea when I will ever get up to Tier 10 in the IJN tech tree, the Musashi was right for me and I flogged myself hard to get her as soon as I heard she was going. OP's priorities will be different since they already have Yamato; the only call is whether they really, desperately want to have both ships.

OP also stated they don't want to grind a whole bunch of coal any more and has to choose just one ship; thus, it seems better for them to get one that isn't a near duplicate of something they already have.

[JHF]
Members
370 posts
5,861 battles

I have enough for the Musashi or that Russian Cruiser, but I think I'm just gonna save my free exp for the 1mil FreeXP Alaska or whatever else. My logic is that the Yamato is a better version, and I've heard the Russian Cruiser kinda suxs….. so.... yeah.

As for Co-op play.... I don't know about playing anything higher than Tier 7 on  Co-op. Pretty sure I always lose silver doing that.

As for the Mo... people want that ship because of the Credit Earned multiplier it came with, really nothing more than that. None of the current freexp ships have it....

Edited by Hydra_360ci

Members
77 posts
5,846 battles
13 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It all depends on your world-view. Do you want the Musashi because you want THE MUSASHI, or do you want the Musashi because she's a Yamato-class battleship and you want that health pool and 18.1 inch main battery? If you already have a Yamato-class battleship (the Yamato herself) and already have access to that hull and gun combination, you may not want or need the Musashi and the resources required to get her can be diverted to other things.

I certainly understand where you're coming from, though, and since I do NOT have the Yamato and have no idea when I will ever get up to Tier 10 in the IJN tech tree, the Musashi was right for me and I flogged myself hard to get her as soon as I heard she was going. OP's priorities will be different since they already have Yamato; the only call is whether they really, desperately want to have both ships.

OP also stated they don't want to grind a whole bunch of coal any more and has to choose just one ship; thus, it seems better for them to get one that isn't a near duplicate of something they already have.

^this. Also sorry for the late reply was working on daily wins before the free premium ran out. getting ships for the sake of rarity (in this case being no longer availible) has little interest for me, if I really want a Musashi as a collector i'll just buy a model to build. also I don't intend to keep grinding much longer, as much i enjoy the game i'll often take huge breaks. so for the sake of practicality, if you could only get one of these ships for the rest of time(Edit: one opportunity, moms spaghetti, sorry I had to), which would be the most enjoyable

Edited by groundace

[SIM]
Members
3,927 posts
6,592 battles

If I only had to pick one of the three, it would be Salem. I find her playstyle to be the most engaging of the three. High risk, high reward.