You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Slattery

Ultimate Frontier, pleasant surprise.

12 comments in this topic

[WOLF3]
Members
1,635 posts
6,255 battles

I usually avoid playing UF at all when it rolls to the top of the Operations list.  All you have to do is search the forums for UF and you will be bombarded with thread after thread, post after post talking about what a craptacular extravaganza it is.  The list of problems with this operation has been well documented.

This week, I decided to go check it out again just to see if anything had changed.

What a nice surprise!  UF HAS been changed and for the better.  It's actually winnable without having 4 unicoms on your team to do the heavy lifting.  I scored my very first 5 star victory and won every match I played.  Only the 5 star victory had better players than me.  I was top of the list every other time and I'm not exactly what you would call a top level player.  It was just late night randoms, like me.  :Smile_smile:

The enemy accuracy has been dialed down.  The fire breathing dragons have been removed and replaced with actual ships that DON'T set fires with every shell.  The forts are no longer made of paper mache.  Nice.

I took in battleships exclusively and I spawned down with the cruisers every time.  Other BBs spawned up north so that hasn't been removed, just changed a bit.  I like having a BB spawn down south.  Much more fun for me to be down there.

This is what NORMAL mode is supposed to be like.  HARD mode would be what UF used to be.  When I get good enough, maybe one day I will put on my "bigboy" pants.  Right now, this suits me to a tee.  Hopefully WG will implement the HARD difficulty button so that the one percenters who thought UF was just fine "as is" can have a challenge.

Thanks for listening and responding WG.  :Smile_medal:

• Cool 2

[WOLF2]
Members
300 posts
5,927 battles

oh dang, I didn't even try it, since I'm so used to it being a terrible grind.  Thanks for the heads up

[4HIM]
Members
2,512 posts
8,268 battles

You must have had better team than I had.  I do agree they've dialed it back a bit as it is winnable now.  It's no longer the Kobayashi Maru it was.  But many times I had potato teams.  Several times an Atlanta just sat in the repair base not shooting at anything.  Even had a full health BB sitting in the repair base just watching as the reds pulled up and casually killed the air base.  One time I was on the way to kill the CV, but had to turn around because Whiskey was approaching the base and no one was even bothering to shoot at them.

And the fire starting has been toned down a bit.  But it's still a case of the bots getting EXTREMELY good fire RNG.  If I were starting fires as often as the bots, I'd have had 40 fires set in one match.  Only a couple times have I died from eating a torp or a MB hit.  9 times out of 10 it's because of fire.  It's better than it was last time it rolled around.  Still needs to be toned down a little more.

[INTEL]
Members
10,845 posts
30,569 battles
42 minutes ago, LCPL4ever said:

oh dang, I didn't even try it, since I'm so used to it being a terrible grind.  Thanks for the heads up

Ditto thanks. I've been ignoring that in favor of Narai (which has been sadly dumbed down). 

[ARGSY]
Members
13,528 posts
8,727 battles
1 hour ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Several times an Atlanta just sat in the repair base not shooting at anything.  Even had a full health BB sitting in the repair base just watching as the reds pulled up and casually killed the air base. 

That's unforgivable. For sure I've sat still in the repair base and used it like something of an invincibility shield while I farmed (bring your Juliet Charlies, people), and I can understand people going a bit quiet at first if they're near-dead when they get in there, but not firing at all is inexcusable.

[WOLF3]
Members
1,635 posts
6,255 battles
1 hour ago, Taichunger said:

Ditto thanks. I've been ignoring that in favor of Narai (which has been sadly dumbed down). 

I agree.  Narai could use a boost.  Maybe uptier some of the enemy ships.  Of course, the carriers may return in 0.8.0.  Maybe we wait and see on that one.

Members
466 posts
3,692 battles

I had been avoiding this also, until yesterday.  Tried it and even though a few potato teams cost us some wins, it is possible to win now, even got one 5 star and quite a few 4 stars.  This was a pleasant surprise, I had been watching for a thread about this since it rotated up again this time.  I hadn't seen anything posted until you did.  Thanks

Members
27 posts
2,905 battles
52 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

Is this still the operation of the week? Don't they cycle on Wednesdays?

Operation Dynamo has replaced it this week.

Edited by Mortis007
bad grammar

[ICOP]
Members
1,076 posts
4,023 battles

The issue with Ultimate Frontier was never the bots and their insane aim, it was the players.

[O_S_D]
[O_S_D]
Members
168 posts
18,297 battles
6 hours ago, Captain_Slattery said:

What a nice surprise!  UF HAS been changed and for the better.  It's actually winnable without having 4 unicoms on your team to do the heavy lifting.  I scored my very first 5 star victory and won every match I played.  Only the 5 star victory had better players than me.  I was top of the list every other time and I'm not exactly what you would call a top level player.  It was just late night randoms, like me.  :Smile_smile:

I believe that player quality improves after midnight Central Time.  Since the Operation of the Week won't launch short-handed, the wait can be long but it's worth it to be on a good team.

Edited by Daffyd9x