Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Dark_Power

Republique armor has a black hole?

16 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
36 posts
2,022 battles

I was messing around in a training room with my Moskva when I noticed that 99% of my AP shells that registered as "penetration" and was aimed at the lower broadside of the French Tier X Republique ship did almost no damage. Even just above the water line by quite a bit it's still the same issue. This only seems to happen in the mid and stern sections of the ship. The bow area doesn't seem effected. Below is a gif of what I noticed. Is the ship designed like this? 

If it doesn't load: https://i.imgur.com/4kOtUXy.gifv

nEq0gED.gif

Beta Testers
36 posts
2,022 battles
7 minutes ago, Admiral_Franz_von_Hipper said:

I am thinking it has to do with the "spaced armour" gap between the 32mm plating and the belt.

I think I see what you're talking about but it should still be registered as a hit box Instead of having the shell be a penetrating no-damage. Plus I noticed it didn't happen near the bow of the ship but it did near the mid and stern. The armor layout is pretty much centered though, so that makes no sense. 

[BE-ER]
Beta Testers
49 posts
12,563 battles

It could be the same effect as when you score a pen against an AA gun or something. The gun absorbs all the damage and registers as a pen, but doesn't do any actual damage.

Members
2,133 posts
5,416 battles
2 minutes ago, Dark_Power said:

I think I see what you're talking about but it should still be registered as a hit box Instead of having the shell be a penetrating no-damage. Plus I noticed it didn't happen near the bow of the ship but it did near the mid and stern. The armor layout is pretty much centered though, so that makes no sense. 

The same thing happens with the French cruiser spaced armour too; the shells will show pen, but not give any damage.

[CAPGO]
Members
732 posts
6,067 battles

Right now AP shells are either overpen or pen with zero damage. This is becoming a real issue.

• Funny 1

[K0]
Members
1,728 posts
7,131 battles

Pretty sure this is the spaced armor thing on French ships. Torpedo belts work the same way, and last time WG tried to change how it works people didn't like it.

Members
310 posts
2,298 battles

It looks like the shells are being taken in the torp bulge then not penetrating the main belt, similar to a spaced armour layout of the French cruisers.  The only problem here is that there is a pen ribbon awarded, it's not really a problem other than people wigging out about zero damage pens for some reason and no cause for worry.

[RNG]
Members
49 posts
6,225 battles

Others have said it already, you're shells are penetrating the outer plating, then entering the torpedo bulge, failing to penetrate the main belt, and exploding in the torpedo bulge. The result is that you have not damaged anything important to the ships ability to continue functioning.

Further, wargaming tested awarding 10% maximum damage for such hits, and it was promptly determined that it made ships with these spaced armor configurations incredibly fragile when previously they had been reasonably tanky.

Wargaming just needs to figure out a better way to display whats happening so you can understand.

[D00M]
Beta Testers
100 posts
3,795 battles

This is not an issue. The ap is penetrating the torpedo belt and counting as a penetrating hit. But it does not pass the belt armor to do damage.

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,062 posts

The internal bulkhead eats the shell before it can do damage. That's why it was such a big deal when WG was trying to push that 10% shell damage for all pens, as it would of neutered both the Battleship AND Cruiser lines for the French as they have their armor belts internally instead of externally. (Notice how none of the french ships have external raised hull sections where the belt armor is on the port display.)

[EGO]
Members
80 posts
11,423 battles
3 hours ago, VVoony said:

Right now AP shells are either overpen or pen with zero damage. This is becoming a real issue.

I've been finding this to be the case in a lot of games lately.  I know a lot of people have been saying that it's always been like this, but I've been playing this game since the end of beta and something's definitely changed within the last few months.  I run into so many games where nearly half of my pens inflict zero damage.  It makes fighting kiting cruisers in a BB especially difficult, since you're having to predict correctly and pray to RNGesus just to hit them at all.  Now, even assuming you hit, what penetrations you achieve will just as likely do absolutely nothing while that CA burns you down.  This needs to stop.

(Caveat: I do occasionally run into games where this doesn't happen much or the percentage is low enough that it doesn't hinder my play so badly that I want to just chuck my computer out the window in frustration.)

Edited by Wrayeth
  • Cool 1

Members
310 posts
2,298 battles
3 hours ago, Wrayeth said:

Now, even assuming you hit, what penetrations you achieve will just as likely do absolutely nothing while that CA burns you down.  This needs to stop.

No it doesn't there is nothing wrong here.  I don't understand why people are in such a tissy about this whole thing.  The entire problem is simply one of viability.  No mechanics have changed, nor are they incorrect it is just that you are getting a ribbon that says a penetration and not getting damage.  What is the deal here?  Is it the expectation that a penetration must equal damage?  If so, that is where you are going wrong.  A penetration does not automatically mean damage and a such we are ending up arguing about a ribbon. 

6 hours ago, VVoony said:

No they are not and you know it.  Leaving aside all the shells that do damage, what you really mean is that a penetration equals damage and the game clearly does not work that way.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,682 posts
11,740 battles
16 hours ago, Flashtirade said:

Pretty sure this is the spaced armor thing on French ships. Torpedo belts work the same way, and last time WG tried to change how it works it broke the game.

Fixed that for you. 

Members
1,691 posts
8,497 battles
17 hours ago, Dark_Power said:

The spaced armor over the the main belt counts as a torpedo bulge. Since there isn't anything in torpedo bulges, they aren't part of the ship's damage model. Personally I think they needs to make another flag for torp bluge shots since a lot of people are rightly confused by them. 

Sign in to follow this