Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Billy2Hawks

WG Player Base

10 comments in this topic

[SANK]
Members
301 posts
6,004 battles

TBH I have been playing MMOs for 2 decades now, and hands down, WoWS/WoT have some of the most toxic players. I mean I have played PvP in Eve, Everquest, and several other games where ganking people for gear was quite common.

People in this game are always quick to tell you how poorly you are playing, how stupid you are, or any number of negative or armchair quarterbacking quips. They like to tout how much they know the game, but they seem to forget:

1) We are quite often 12 different players with at least 6 different ideas on how to play the map.

2) Team composition can define strategy, and that strat might not always be the same one because of team composition.

3) It is not like you have been in a room planning the battle 10 minutes before you play it, and can strategize against enemies you do not know. At best your beginning strat MAY start with a few brief blurbs before the timer goes off. After that, you might get some communication, but 90% of the time those communications are insults hurled between people who believe it is the other persons fault the team is losing.

4) Quite often people are guessing at what the team is going to do, and some times that guess is wrong. Some times you push and your team hangs back, some times you push and your team moves forward.

5) There is really no communication in game, and some people will shut off the chat BECAUSE of the toxicity, this means that each player is playing their own game.

One example of the toxicity I have, is one from when I first started playing. I was in a T4 match, and still learning. I had had success with using AP to do a lot of damage in my cruiser. So I am running around the map firing AP at everything, because; Hey, I had a few really high damage games using AP. Towards the end of the match, one of the dead players starts going on about how stupid I am, how I don't know how to play the game and that I should just not play the game at all.

At this point in my WoWS career, I have not figured out if I liked and was going to continue playing the game, much less learned the game mechanics well enough know better about AP/HE. I commented that I had just started playing, and did not know how to use the ammo types, and that now I knew. I also mentioned that maybe he should have not assumed that I had the experience to know the difference, and approached it that way instead of hurling insults. He said something to the effect that I should have known and how horrible I was as a player. You you know, encouraging a new player in all of the positive ways.........

This is the norm though, players are all more than willing to tell you how horrible a player you are, especially when your team is doing bad. Words of encouragement are horribly infrequent to almost nonexistent. It is because of this, that I will try to tell people how good they are doing if I am dead and watching, or I see really good play. If I see someone using ammo inappropriately I ask if they know what each is used for, instead of accusing them of being not intelligent.

WoWS/WoT toxicity ranks up there with Eve online in how horrible it is.

The best game, in terms of friendly community in game, was City of Heroes.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 4

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
20,049 battles

@Billy2Hawks I have been playing this since 2015! Do what I learned to do long ago! IGNORE IT, REPORT ABUSE/HARRASSMENT and forget posting about it in the forum.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
10,015 posts

I really don't see much actual toxicity in the game. Mostly I see things like "This team sucks" or "CV, your air cover sucks!" but they are usually not wrong when they say it.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,361 posts
4,321 battles

The toxicity is probably worse in WoT but I know what you mean. They removed global chat because players were being spiteful and giving away friendly player locations. That doesn't seem to happen in WoWs even though opportunity is there. Smack talking ragers are yes unfortunately part of online gaming. The better players are usually the quieter ones! Playing CVs would make me hate the CV haters as they'd spew disgust as if it was your decision to make them what they were/are. With the current AA too cruisers are far more potent at downing aircraft than fighter squadrons. Even if the proposed AA is crap hopefully it will get fixed. The high tier stuff seems to be, like now, better.

Edited by Sumseaman

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,694 posts
1,251 battles

Over here is pretty tame although it exist thanks to Co-op, WOT which does not have Co-op usually rage a lot more, TK far more often as well as insulting other players with their inferior stats and saying they are useful as meat shields for the better stat players.

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,575 posts
9,548 battles
32 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I really don't see much actual toxicity in the game. Mostly I see things like "This team sucks" or "CV, your air cover sucks!" but they are usually not wrong when they say it.

Honestly I don't pay much attention to chat at all. 

Otherwise WoWs is a bit of a competitive game where some amount of skill is required to be good. Taht and you need most of the other 11 players on your team to be at least competent to stand a chance of winning.

Members
1,059 posts
6,073 battles

Gotta love those armchair commanders... leading our valiant forces from the bottom of the sea...

Chat toxicity should administer benzodiazepines... or at least a finger or two of cognac...

• Funny 1

[WOLFD]
Members
369 posts
2,863 battles

That's why I'm almost an exclusively co-op player. My very few forays into random have been largely unsuccessful and universally frustrating. Everyone expects you to be good, but there's nowhere to git gud. Even low tier random is full of clubbers grinding premiums.......and god forbid your lack of experience costs them the game. I'll take the slow progress of shooting bots over the inevitable whining of Princess Entitlement any day

• Cool 4

[FML]
Members
3,186 posts
13,596 battles
1 hour ago, Billy2Hawks said:

TBH I have been playing MMOs for 2 decades now, and hands down, WoWS/WoT have some of the most toxic players. I mean I have played PvP in Eve, Everquest, and several other games where ganking people for gear was quite common.

People in this game are always quick to tell you how poorly you are playing, how stupid you are, or any number of negative or armchair quarterbacking quips. They like to tout how much they know the game, but they seem to forget:

1) We are quite often 12 different players with at least 6 different ideas on how to play the map.

2) Team composition can define strategy, and that strat might not always be the same one because of team composition.

3) It is not like you have been in a room planning the battle 10 minutes before you play it, and can strategize against enemies you do not know. At best your beginning strat MAY start with a few brief blurbs before the timer goes off. After that, you might get some communication, but 90% of the time those communications are insults hurled between people who believe it is the other persons fault the team is losing.

4) Quite often people are guessing at what the team is going to do, and some times that guess is wrong. Some times you push and your team hangs back, some times you push and your team moves forward.

5) There is really no communication in game, and some people will shut off the chat BECAUSE of the toxicity, this means that each player is playing their own game.

One example of the toxicity I have, is one from when I first started playing. I was in a T4 match, and still learning. I had had success with using AP to do a lot of damage in my cruiser. So I am running around the map firing AP at everything, because; Hey, I had a few really high damage games using AP. Towards the end of the match, one of the dead players starts going on about how stupid I am, how I don't know how to play the game and that I should just not play the game at all.

At this point in my WoWS career, I have not figured out if I liked and was going to continue playing the game, much less learned the game mechanics well enough know better about AP/HE. I commented that I had just started playing, and did not know how to use the ammo types, and that now I knew. I also mentioned that maybe he should have not assumed that I had the experience to know the difference, and approached it that way instead of hurling insults. He said something to the effect that I should have known and how horrible I was as a player. You you know, encouraging a new player in all of the positive ways.........

This is the norm though, players are all more than willing to tell you how horrible a player you are, especially when your team is doing bad. Words of encouragement are horribly infrequent to almost nonexistent. It is because of this, that I will try to tell people how good they are doing if I am dead and watching, or I see really good play. If I see someone using ammo inappropriately I ask if they know what each is used for, instead of accusing them of being not intelligent.

WoWS/WoT toxicity ranks up there with Eve online in how horrible it is.

The best game, in terms of friendly community in game, was City of Heroes.

Hi. That has not been my experience. Personally, I’ve found the WoWS community overall pretty positive.   You will always get muppets in online games, but you ignore or laugh at them instead of letting them hurt your feelings. WoT is a different story though, so more inclined to agree with you there.

Having said that, it would be good if everyone had to pass on information in a polite ad constructive way, and if WG made better turtorials for new players. If wishes were horses...

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,694 posts
1,251 battles

They can always add Co-op in WOT, this will drop the toxicity level to wows level which is OK. Will be even nicer if there is no arty in that mode. 

Sign in to follow this