You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Pulicat

PSA: Bourgogne part 2

50 comments in this topic

[O7]
Members
5,215 posts
10,769 battles

If your choice this new year is between Stalingrad or Bourgogne, then it really isn't a choice at all. It could be said that Stalin may have the slight edge when it comes to clan battles, but that's only because these two ships occupy different class slots.

When it comes to random battles, the Bourg is the superiour choice. It's speed, stealth and reload booster come together to create THE most aggressive battleship in the game. You can easily reach some respectable top speeds in the game at 38.5 knots, outrunning most cruisers and even some DDs. Your stealth at 12.6 makes you very Hindenburg like, without his limitations. This stealth allows you to sneak up on advancing cruisers and lock them in with the threat of your reload booster, if they try to turn away you flick a switch and punish their sides. 

Unlike Stalingrad, your HE is actually usable as well. In fact it goes very well with your reload booster, and you can reset 2-3 fires on an enemy BB that used his DCP with 36 shells in ~25 seconds. This is especially useful when facing bow in Yamato's or Des Moines, as you cannot reliably use your AP against their bow. Flushing them out with HE is a good option, or simply relocating with your stealth advantage. Or you can just toy with their emotions, combining speed boost and propulsion mod to fluctuate direction and speed quickly. It's an effective way to fight any enemy.

In short, Stalingrad wishes it could be a Bourg. They play similar with their AP, but Bourg has so many other options and the maneuverability to accomplish them that it becomes completely outclassed. When Stalin released and everyone complained how an OP ship was going to OP players for the most part, they really should have held their tongues and waited for the Bourg to hit the scene. This is what a good cross between cruiser and battleship looks like, not Graf Spee, Moskva or Stalin etc.

Of course, there are a few disadvantages. For one, your B Turret does not survive well in close range engagements with another BB. At ~10km, typically 2-3 well aimed salvos at your turrets will completely destroy turret B forever. You do also have a lower HP pool to consider at 74k, but this can be compensated by dodging salvos with propulsion shenanigans or simply going full 38 knots, people will not aim a cruisers distance for a BB (yet) much like people did not aim Khab distance when shooting at that DD.

I'm sure there's a couple more, but they don't come to mind when there's so many good things going for you. If you want a good random battle ship bought with steel, Stalingrad will not put a smile on your face. Get Bourgogne.

And yes, I made this topic again because I feel people are mistakenly picking up stalin because of its 'hype', when the ship to actually go crazy about is a shiny new Bourgogne.

• Cool 10
  • Funny 2

[O7]
Members
1,785 posts
16,060 battles

100% correct. I support this message. Get a Bourgogne if you aren't going to play Stalin in clans or if you already have stalin.

-Members-
6,958 posts
9,224 battles

Agreed!! Good recommendation. have played a friend's Stalingrad and own Bourgogne myself and I think Bourgogne is a more fun and dynamic style of gameplay as compared to Stalingrad with greater influence on the match.

[BBICT]
Members
3,573 posts
3,720 battles

As someone who misses his old pre-nerf Alsace I can see why people would love the Bourgongne.. She is just Al on steroids now at Tier X. I do hear you about B turret getting knocked out a ton.. The only time it really bugged me was when the Stalinator was still in testing at this happened to me:

HcoX8do.jpg

Something about a "cruiser" doing that to me just bugged me at the time, LOL. 

I don't have the steel for either one, but I'd be torn tell you the truth... 

Members
8 posts
7,210 battles

100% agree with this. Never had so much fun playing a battleship before. Bourgogne is a great recommendation, quite OP in Randoms. 

• Cool 1

-Members-
6,958 posts
9,224 battles
5 minutes ago, Sir_Davos_Seaworth said:

As someone who misses his old pre-nerf Alsace I can see why people would love the Bourgongne.. She is just Al on steroids now at Tier X. I do hear you about B turret getting knocked out a ton.. The only time it really bugged me was when the Stalinator was still in testing at this happened to me:

HcoX8do.jpg

Something about a "cruiser" doing that to me just bugged me at the time, LOL. 

I don't have the steel for either one, but I'd be torn tell you the truth... 

I played Alsace only post-nerf and I still loved it. One of my favorite ships!

[GTA]
Members
72 posts
14,279 battles

The ship I am almost annoyed about being locked behind the steel wall.  But I will do what it takes to get one (assuming it sticks around awhile).  Currently at 10.5k in steel.

[OO7]
Beta Testers
278 posts
17,854 battles
8 minutes ago, PinkoCommieScumbag said:

An Alsace with reload booster for 30k steel- lol no thanks but you do you.

this comment= LUL

[O7]
Members
5,215 posts
10,769 battles
10 minutes ago, PinkoCommieScumbag said:

An Alsace with reload booster for 30k steel- lol no thanks but you do you.

a far cry better than a random battle punching bag for about the same. The difference of having fun and being bullied.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[INTEL]
Members
11,372 posts
31,838 battles
7 minutes ago, Pulicat said:

a far cry better than a random battle punching bag for about the same. The difference of having fun and being bullied.

Thanks... Nerfed Alsace a ton of fun still, tho. I will wait patiently for WG to release the Borgnine for use by ordinary players like me at some point.

• Cool 1

[R-F]
Members
233 posts
10,017 battles

I have both Bourgogne and Stalingrad, and at least of those of us with 80 games the highest damage game in the Bourgogne. I've been telling those who are picking to get the Stalingrad first because it could well stay relevant in clan battles, and because it provides a more unique playstyle compared to other cruisers, where Bourgogne's playstyle can be largely replicated when playing Jean Bart. 

[OO7]
Members
105 posts
14,289 battles

I have both as well and I 100% agree with this post.

• Cool 2

[-BRS-]
Members
1,645 posts
17,690 battles

Fine with me if more people keep choosing the Stalin over the Bourgogne....

Jut means more Stalins showing more Broadside  and eating citadel upon citadel of my glorious 380mm AP shells.

But if anyone is trying to decide which of the two they want, you could go with what Ossium suggested being that its relevant in CB.

But ask yourself this..... would your clan let you play the Stalin even if you had it?  so you get a Stalin but your like the 4th best Stalin player to choose from.

How often you gonna get to use it for CB ya think?

Or get the Bourgogne and take a DIv into Randoms or go Solo anytime you want and quickly move around the map blasting away and dropping off like no ones business and have fun doing it.

Or again get the Stalin, sit mainly bow on and get focused down my anything that shoots HE until some BB gets your side like me.

Your choice though...… I hope you all choose Stalin I do not really like sharing the map with another Bourgogne anyway.

• Cool 1

Members
1,063 posts
1,286 battles
4 minutes ago, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

Fine with me if more people keep choosing the Stalin over the Bourgogne....

Jut means more Stalins showing more Broadside  and eating citadel upon citadel of my glorious 380mm AP shells.

But if anyone is trying to decide which of the two they want, you could go with what Ossium suggested being that its relevant in CB.

But ask yourself this..... would your clan let you play the Stalin even if you had it?  so you get a Stalin but your like the 4th best Stalin player to choose from.

How often you gonna get to use it for CB ya think?

Or get the Bourgogne and take a DIv into Randoms or go Solo anytime you want and quickly move around the map blasting away and dropping off like no ones business and have fun doing it.

Or again get the Stalin, sit mainly bow on and get focused down my anything that shoots HE until some BB gets your side like me.

Your choice though...… I hope you all choose Stalin I do not really like sharing the map with another Bourgogne anyway.

I really don't see anything that "glorious" about 380s at T10. Sure, if you catch the side of any ship you're going to punish it. But unless the Stalingrad captain is bad, you're not gonna get that side unless you spend a lot of time dark trying to sneak around the map, doing nothing fun hoping not to get spotted. And when you are spotted, you're going to chunked apart by HE in that Bourogne with its 32mm armor everywhere.

[O7]
Members
1,785 posts
16,060 battles
Just now, PinkoCommieScumbag said:

I really don't see anything that "glorious" about 380s at T10. Sure, if you catch the side of any ship you're going to punish it. But unless the Stalingrad captain is bad, you're not gonna get that side unless you spend a lot of time dark trying to sneak around the map, doing nothing fun hoping not to get spotted. And when you are spotted, you're going to chunked apart by HE in that Bourogne with its 32mm armor everywhere.

how does 10-15k superstructure AP or withering HE and fire sound for Bourg vs Stalin?

Members
1,063 posts
1,286 battles
34 minutes ago, Kebobstuzov said:

how does 10-15k superstructure AP or withering HE and fire sound for Bourg vs Stalin?

at least a decent portion of Stalingrad is covered with 50mm. Bourg you can blast HE anywhere

Edit: lol why did somebody get "angry" with this post? What about it is untrue?

Edited by PinkoCommieScumbag
  • Angry 1

[-BRS-]
Members
1,645 posts
17,690 battles
1 minute ago, PinkoCommieScumbag said:

200 games in the Borgogne and I have yet to be chunked apart by any HE other than that of the Conq.

You would be surprised just how often people are broadside and what little effort it takes to get their Broadside.

This game is 90% people turning and showing side and the other 10% Bow on almost every game.

You just have to know when and where they will most likely do it.

• Cool 1

[O7]
Members
1,785 posts
16,060 battles

at least a decent portion of Stalingrad is covered with 50mm. Bourg you can blast HE anywhere

Well, your mind won't be changed, but if you get the Bourg or ever get a chance to play it, and are good at the game, you'll understand what we are saying. It is a ship that dies fast in the hands of spuds, and punishes and survives in the hands of good players.

[R-F]
Members
233 posts
10,017 battles
14 minutes ago, Kebobstuzov said:

Well, your mind won't be changed, but if you get the Bourg or ever get a chance to play it, and are good at the game, you'll understand what we are saying. It is a ship that dies fast in the hands of spuds, and punishes and survives in the hands of good players.

This is a really good point too. Actually I also tell people when they ask that both Stalingrad and Bourgogne are similar in that they are really strong against weaker players, but if played poorly are incredibly soft and prone to dying. Bourgogne is a glass cannon with that booster but is at its core a tier 9 hull at tier 10. Still my favorite BB in the game though so I could be biased. 

Members
1,063 posts
1,286 battles
17 minutes ago, Kebobstuzov said:

Yeah, I mean I liked the Alsace both before and after the nerf. I have the steel for it, but I'd rather save it for something that isn't another ctrl+v ship with some tweaks.

[OO7]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
76 posts
7,349 battles

Yeah, I mean I liked the Alsace both before and after the nerf. I have the steel for it, but I'd rather save it for something that isn't another ctrl+v ship with some tweaks.

Lol then get the Stalin. The ship is dumb good, just play smart and don't get [edited]wrekt by HE