You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Random Thoughts from Deep R'Lyeh: Paying them off.

13 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
21,733 posts
15,778 battles

A short while ago I started keeping a spreadsheet of all my earnings for various ships, so that they could "pay their own way" and recoup their credit costs. This was the result of having several lines come to fruition at once and the new lines costing me a lot of silver all at once.

It went without saying that exactly the same happened over the recent Snowflake period. I free XP'd past a few things in order to get some of my lines to tier 5, and bought a couple of things to earn a little bit of XP to make up the difference needed to get there.

As a result, my ship spreadsheets have now been altered.

The columns in which XP, cash and captain XP are recorded for every battle remain. 

XP is summed into a single cell. Whenever a module is researched, the amount required is subtracted from the XP-per-battle column.

Entries into the cash column are summed into a single cell labelled cash balance. When the ship is first bought, negative figures are entered for the ship, its modules, and if necessary the 200,000 XP required for half retraining. Gun, engine, torpedo and hull upgrade costs are also entered as negatives.

As soon as the ship is in harbour, its sale price is entered as a positive figure into the cell immediately below cash balance (away from the per-battle columns). The cell immediately below THAT is labelled "break-even", and when this finally becomes positive, one of a number of things will happen.

1) If the ship after it has not yet been researched, the ship is listed as paid off and becomes a free-profit ship. Earnings from it were previously put into a spreadsheet called "general revenue", but will now be assigned to other ships that are still in debt.

2) If the next-tier ship HAS been researched, the captain will remain in the current ship until it is paid off, either by its own earnings or by the earnings of ships that are already profit-makers. This is so that the ship can remain at its maximum efficiency to pay off. This is the principle I used in deciding when to move my Acasta captain up to the Icarus when I already had both ships.

3) If the ship does NOT have a permanent camo, it will be sold off unless I have sentimental reasons for keeping it in my port. If it does, it will never be sold.

Up until now, all my premium ships were regarded as automatic for-profit ships because they didn't have to recoup their silver costs in the tech tree. But this meant I also gleefully ignored their upgrade-slot costs. This will now have to stop. 2018 was the year of building the diverse fleet I realised I needed at the end of 2017, but that is adequately achieved. I now have ships at EVERY tier, and can afford to slow down the progress a little.  

This is a good thing. I need to improve in the ships I already have, and forcing them to earn their own keep will ensure I stay in them long enough to really master them. I hope.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,097 posts
22,686 battles

A laudable effort but too much work for me. I just watch the credit and Free XP counter in the top right of the port screen climb to know I am making a profit, overall. 

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,217 posts
14,759 battles
1 hour ago, Khafni said:

A laudable effort but too much work for me. I just watch the credit and Free XP counter in the top right of the port screen climb to know I am making a profit, overall. 

I do the same and as long as any dips in credits are not extended and there is a general and steady climb I don't worry.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,733 posts
15,778 battles

I hear you both. But Snowflakes turned a slow rise into a very heavy drain (which isn't quite done yet), and this is my way of imposing a bit of discipline on myself. It also helps me identify ships I can and should sell off.

• Cool 1

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,097 posts
22,686 battles
57 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I hear you both. But Snowflakes turned a slow rise into a very heavy drain (which isn't quite done yet), and this is my way of imposing a bit of discipline on myself. It also helps me identify ships I can and should sell off.

The drain I experienced from Snowflakes was purchasing back all 64 tech tree ships I had previously researched. Than ran about 250 million all together. I made half of that back after the fact with sales but my credit "bank" can't really be broken (1.15 billion, now). I run mostly premium ships in Random matches which keeps me deep in the black. I consider myself fortunate - and somewhat of a mini whale.

If your tracking method works for you - and it seems it does - then congrats on having that discipline!

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
1,115 posts
4,173 battles

I've tried to keep all my T5 and up ships as I go, except I dumped the Acasta and Icarus as duds, specifically for things like Ranked Sprint and the Snowflakes event, where the more options I have in those tiers, the better.  Yeah, it'll take me longer to progress, but I enjoy collecting.

[A_51]
Members
961 posts
30,804 battles

I'd rather play the game than spend a lot of time on spreadsheets, but to each his own.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,733 posts
15,778 battles
3 hours ago, Khafni said:

The drain I experienced from Snowflakes was purchasing back all 64 tech tree ships I had previously researched. Than ran about 250 million all together. I made half of that back after the fact with sales but my credit "bank" can't really be broken (1.15 billion, now). I run mostly premium ships in Random matches which keeps me deep in the black. I consider myself fortunate - and somewhat of a mini whale.

If your tracking method works for you - and it seems it does - then congrats on having that discipline!

Yeah, if my credits were where yours are now, records would be meaningless. 

2 hours ago, Seaneroo said:

I'd rather play the game than spend a lot of time on spreadsheets, but to each his own.

You point is a good one. However, I mostly do my spreadsheet stuff at times when, for whatever reason, I have leisure time but cannot play WOWS (e.g. lunch breaks at work).

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
4,091 posts
16,000 battles
6 hours ago, Khafni said:

It sounds like the difference between cash accounting and accrual accounting. Cthulhu is seeking to build a more proper measure of the profit and loss of each ship, making sure it’s in the Black before moving on. 

Personally, I take the global view as well - playing premiums and fully upgraded tech tree ships like my Fiji and Leander are to deliberately cross subsidise my new ship and module purchases. 

On that note, Cthulhu, how do you factor in module sales like now, or use of premium consumables etc?

4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

You point is a good one. However, I mostly do my spreadsheet stuff at times when, for whatever reason, I have leisure time but cannot play WOWS (e.g. lunch breaks at work).

Bah, you get lunch breaks??!? Jealous!!

[ARGSY]
Members
21,733 posts
15,778 battles
4 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

On that note, Cthulhu, how do you factor in module sales like now, or use of premium consumables etc?

Modules get charged against the balance sheet of the individual ship when I fit them.

There are some records that are going to be incomplete; I wasn't keeping completely detailed records of the premiums in their own individual files, so there are some per-ship costs that might have to be written off, but that changes from now on. In any case, module costs are the only sunk costs premiums will ever accrue, and they will pay them back eventually.

Use of premium consumables is figured on a per-battle basis; the money figure I record is the one after all post-battle costs, including PC's, have been deducted. 

I finished the module sale in a very good place. Thanks to my OH's forebearance and generosity, I had most of the day to grind; I picked up the Dallas and Normandie in the Mighty Prinz mission, both of which I already had, sold off a few T4 and unwanted post-snowflake T5 ships, and so was flush with credits. I am pretty sure I've got the modules for everything I currently have in port that looks like it might be kept or be around for a while, and I've got a set lying around for the Jervis when I grind up to her from the Icarus. A lot of free XP got used, but it meant I could grab the Gaede and fit her out while modules were going cheap, and because I never fitted them to the T-22 she went out the door in the black.

4 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Bah, you get lunch breaks??!? Jealous!!

I eat my lunch at my office desk in case anyone needs me for anything, and it has been interrupted more than once. Less jealous now?

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Funny 1

[A_51]
Members
961 posts
30,804 battles
On 1/1/2019 at 12:44 PM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

In hindsight, I think my post was unnecessarily snarky.  My apologies.  

Edited by Seaneroo

[TDG]
Members
1,853 posts
13,940 battles

I make the point of getting away from my desk for lunch, but I was in a support role where I could be interrupted in the lunch room in a previous position.

I don't quite track individual ships in the way you do.  I do track planned spending and my progress against that.  I also track the net earnings per mode for each ship to determine which ones are the best earning.  (And which ones to avoid using in certain situations.)

I find that I am limited by credits more than anything else.  I looked at the Snowflake event and made a spreadsheet to investigate the most credit and XP efficient way to acquire Steel.  Now, I have a plan for that.  I have the XP I need.  I am a few days from having the credits.  I will then grind to reduce the Free XP cost.

It should be noted that I am a collector, so I keep my ships.  This does slow my progression as I need more credits.