You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ZARDOZ_II

Where to go from here

30 comments in this topic

[4HIM]
Members
2,722 posts
9,502 battles

Well, with the 200% bonuses over the last several days I've finally managed to unlock the Des Moines, my first tech tree T10.  I had also recently picked up her sister the Salem.  So no longer need a rental to do CB any longer.  Did manage to grind all the way through the Buffalo Chip without succumbing to the urge to FXP past it.  And doing 'the grind' all the way through means now the DM captain currently stands at 16 points.  Plus I'm sitting on over a million FXP.  Not too far from the ability to pick up the Kron and the Nelson both (no interest in the Musashi).  But with the discounts on modules and the 200% bonus, I've unlocked a few ships in short order (and kind of close on three more), purchasing them means I'm broke credit wise.  I know I need to start working on the "Legendary" (or whatever they're calling it now) upgrade for the DM.  But other than that, I'm seeking input on where to go from here.  Options I'm considering are:

1:  Pick up Knon and Nelson

Kron may be useful in the upcoming Ranked season.  Nelson is kind of a meme boat with its zombie heal.  The PRO side is this gets me two ships, some steel and coal, and an additional trainer in each line.  The CON side is it will consume all my FXP.  But that can be earned again.  Some may say to wait for Alaska.  But right now it seems like a pig in a poke.  Plus I'm not thrilled with the way WG has inflated the price on it.  And I'm not sure I need another US cruiser.  Tech tree wise I'm only missing Seattle and "War-chester".  

2:  Use the FXP to generate a 19 point captain

Currently sitting on about 480k ECXP.  So along with FXP I could boost one captain to 19 points (from the current 16) and then start grinding ECXP for the next.  Several more captains in the 13 - 14 point range I could start working on next.

3:  Keep the FXP to more quickly get hull upgrades or skip past awful ships

Basically, before FXP ships, this was what it was used for.  Several have told me how bad Seattle is.  And currently I'm not digging the grind on the Yorck.  

Anything else I'm overlooking here?  Just looking for advice from others who have tread this path before.

Edited by ZARDOZ_II

[PONL]
Members
98 posts
7,715 battles
3 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Well, with the 200% bonuses over the last several days I've finally managed to unlock the Des Moines, my first tech tree T10.  I had also recently picked up her sister the Salem.  So no longer need a rental to do CB any longer.  Did manage to grind all the way through the Buffalo Chip without succumbing to the urge to FXP past it.  And doing 'the grind' all the way through means now the DM captain currently stands at 16 points.  Plus I'm sitting on over a million FXP.  Not too far from the ability to pick up the Kron and the Nelson both (no interest in the Musashi).  But with the discounts on modules and the 200% bonus, I've unlocked a few ships in short order (and kind of close on three more), purchasing them means I'm broke credit wise.  I know I need to start working on the "Legendary" (or whatever they're calling it now) upgrade for the DM.  But other than that, I'm seeking input on where to go from here.  Options I'm considering are:

1:  Pick up Knon and Nelson

Kron may be useful in the upcoming Ranked season.  Nelson is kind of a meme boat with its zombie heal.  The PRO side is this gets me two ships, some steel and coal, and an additional trainer in each line.  The CON side is it will consume all my FXP.  But that can be earned again.  Some may say to wait for Alaska.  But right now it seems like a pig in a poke.  Plus I'm not thrilled with the way WG has inflated the price on it.  And I'm not sure I need another US cruiser.  Tech tree wise I'm only missing Seattle and "War-chester".  

Currently sitting on about 480k FXP.  So along with FXP I could boost one captain to 19 points (from the current 16) and then start grinding ECXP for the next.  Several more captains in the 13 - 14 point range I could start working on next.

3:  Keep the FXP to more quickly get hull upgrades or skip past awful ships

Basically, before FXP ships, this was what it was used for.  Several have told me how bad Seattle is.  And currently I'm not digging the grind on the Yorck.  

Anything else I'm overlooking here?  Just looking for advice from others who have tread this path before.

Since Kron and Musashi will no longer be available when 0.8 comes live and since i'm sitting currently at 1kk free XP also, I can tell you what I will do soon:

- Once I grind the coal needed (32k I think is what I need atm) I will purchase Musashi

- With the Free XP I will go for Kron

After that, another huge grind to get back to 1kk to get the Alaska when it comes out.

Since T7, I do not play any ship stock, I use Free XP to fully upgrade once I buy a new ship. So while grinding to get the Alaska, probably I will be using some free xp for modules on new grinded ships.

Don't need to spend 350k on Nelson since is going nowhere atm. If the day comes and it will be remove, I will grind again to have it.

[O_O]
Members
5,701 posts
13,065 battles
28 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Well, with the 200% bonuses over...

My +200% first win bonuses are still active...I think it goes another day or two.

[HYDRO]
Members
3,682 posts
5,280 battles

Unless it's urgent wait up on Alaska. Alternating your Commander between three ships should get you to 19 points quite quickly while also making good money with her and Salem.

Keep in mind that Alaska isn't your typical cruiser as well.

Finally, though this is quite risky, you could free xp odd tier CVs, buy the permanent camo 50% off and double your money (you get back full doubloons based on the rules they stated).  You can get all the FXP back as well as compensation. That said, things can change so it's a gamble. 

Edited by warheart1992

[HINON]
Supertester
22,146 posts
16,004 battles

Option 4: wait for Alaska

[O_O]
Members
5,701 posts
13,065 battles
30 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Plus I'm sitting on over a million FXP.

Currently sitting on about 480k FXP.

So, I'm a tad confused by the contradiction.

But, I would suggest going for Kronshtadt before she goes away.  Everything else you can get in due time, but Kronshtadt will no longer be available.

Nelson is well worth the Free XP, but I am not hearing anything about her leaving the tech tree anytime soon, so there is time for her.

I haven't used Free XP to boost my captains, because I have spent it on Missouri, Musashi, Nelson, Kronshtadt, and now have 1M waiting for Alaska.

There is real value in using Free XP to upgrade recently acquired stock ships, because stock ships can be painful.  However, I would not skip entire ships with Free XP.

Alpha Tester
10,267 posts
4,608 battles
49 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Plus I'm sitting on over a million FXP.

Currently sitting on about 480k FXP. 

Which number is it?

fry.jpg.c52725525e64e2180b4c4c4672c2eb97.jpg

[4HIM]
Members
2,722 posts
9,502 battles
24 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

So, I'm a tad confused by the contradiction.

Typo.   Fixed.  480k Elite Commander XP.

31 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

My +200% first win bonuses are still active...I think it goes another day or two.

I said it was over the last week or so.  I know it's still going on.  

[PVE]
Members
18,382 posts
11,377 battles
1 hour ago, desmo_2 said:

The +200% is gone tomorrow morning at server reset.

TWJRRzB.jpg

[4HIM]
Members
2,722 posts
9,502 battles
3 hours ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

200% bonuses over the last several days

50 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

The +200% is gone tomorrow morning at server reset.

Yes, again, I know that.  I said it was "over the last several days".  I never said it was over completely.  

So far this thread has been mostly about a typo I made and a partial quote of a sentence taken out of context.  Only a couple people have actually responded to the question.

[PVE]
Members
18,382 posts
11,377 battles
1 minute ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Yes, again, I know that.  I said it was "over the last several days".  I never said it was over completely.  

So far this thread has been mostly about a typo I made and a partial quote of a sentence taken out of context.  Only a couple people have actually responded to the question.

I'm biased. I'm a ship hoarder collector, so I would say get them all. :Smile_playing: :Smile_teethhappy:

The stock grinds are not going anywhere and the 19pt Cmdr is not going anywhere. Kron is leaving, so I would get that.

[TBW]
Members
8,624 posts
15,496 battles

To be or not to be. What was the question?

Seriously though I would go with option 1.

[ARGSY]
Members
15,156 posts
9,917 battles
3 hours ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Anything else I'm overlooking here?

Never use Free XP to boost a captain, even to 19 points. (OK, if it were going to cost me a tiny fraction of my FXP at a point where I was too tired to be bothered fighting another battle, had run out of flags and wanted to go to bed with a sense of accomplishment, I might do it.)

Use the FXP to get something which you might not have a chance to obtain again. If you really think Kron is your speed, she'll only ever be a supercontainer ship from now on. If you blow the FXP on a 19 pointer, you lose that chance.

You can always earn more FXP to bypass stock grinds or bad ships AFTER this is done.

DISCLOSURE:

I don't want Worcester enough to be bothered with Seattle, so the call on whether to FXP past her is irrelevant to me but the principle is sound. Don't. IIRC Tier 9 cruisers take about 300,000 XP to get through; where you are now, assuming your 16 pointer is your Cleveland captain, and you can retrain him with a premium ship or doubloons, grinding Seattle will take him up a point and change.

I couldn't give a rat's posterior about Kronshtadt, and cannot inform you one way or another whether she's a good purchase; that one is on you. I spent my hoard of FXP on Musashi, and am happy with my choice. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks and all that. :Smile_honoring:

I already have my first 19 pointer and I remember what a godawful grind that was to do at the speed I did it. Even so, I wouldn't use FXP for it. There was a brief moment I was tempted, both when I had a stash for Nelson (which has been very useful for me) and for Musashi (which I hope will be, now that I have her upgrade modules fitted), but I resisted.

[RMRGD]
Members
452 posts
21,193 battles

Its all on what you like to play.   Nelson plays like a bow in tank much like a Moskva.   

If you like cruiser play that can tank Kronshtadt is fun.   Its guns are a little wild but its a good time and strong ship

If you like Yamato you will like Musashi.   I honestly don't like this play style she is one of the few ships I do not have.   I like moving fast etc so french BBs is where its at for me.

Everyone is saying "Get Alaska" remember it needs to fit your playstyle.  if you like DDs then she probably isn't for you.   If you like to smoke up and shoot lots of shells... she isn't for you.  I am sure she will be a good ship but you need to confirm to what she is used for. 

There is no right or wrong choices.    

[4HIM]
Members
2,722 posts
9,502 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

assuming your 16 pointer is your Cleveland captain

He's actually in the Des Moines now.  A few wins in CB with Dragon flag can help speed the grind.  Right now I'm about 750k CXP from 19 points.  Less the 480k ECXP I have hoarded up until now, I may have enough for the Kron and still have enough to boost him to 19.  And the Kron would give me another Russian cruiser captain trainer (in addition to the Murmansk and Molotov Cocktail I already have).  If I do that it would likely influence me to focus on unlocking the Chappy.  Aurora is in the Schchchchchors and currently just 12 points and change.  But I have a LOT more German premiums to cycle a captain through and my Yorckie captain is a bit over 13, with Thea being close to reaching 13.  I'm REALLY light on IJN captains though.  

[4HIM]
Members
2,722 posts
9,502 battles
2 minutes ago, deresistance said:

Everyone is saying "Get Alaska"

And IMO, I don't see what Alaska will do for me right now.  Already have the US CA line finished.  Plus I have Salem.  I still have to grind our the "War-Chester", so IMO the Boise would probably fit better to train that captain.  And at this time, Alaska is an unknown.  Where the Kron is "the devil you know".  

[ARGSY]
Members
15,156 posts
9,917 battles
15 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

He's actually in the Des Moines now.  A few wins in CB with Dragon flag can help speed the grind.  Right now I'm about 750k CXP from 19 points.  Less the 480k ECXP I have hoarded up until now, I may have enough for the Kron and still have enough to boost him to 19.  And the Kron would give me another Russian cruiser captain trainer (in addition to the Murmansk and Molotov Cocktail I already have).  If I do that it would likely influence me to focus on unlocking the Chappy.  Aurora is in the Schchchchchors and currently just 12 points and change.  But I have a LOT more German premiums to cycle a captain through and my Yorckie captain is a bit over 13, with Thea being close to reaching 13.  I'm REALLY light on IJN captains though.  

You already know what I have said, but if you must spend free XP on boosting your captain, for eff's sake get the Kronshtadt first.

Chapayev's not going anywhere and hankering after her is going to bankrupt you. Leave your Aurora in the Shchors for now; moving her is going to cost you retraining effort that's best put into your DM captain, unless you're happy to spend doubloons for that.

I was going to ask you what other US premiums you have, but while I was typing this you made it clear that you already have Salem as well, so hot-swapping them for first wins is going to be perfect for you. You need to find the right time to drop everything else you can before you go for the home stretch on the 19 pointer - I don't know if you're doing PEF-dependent steel missions right now, but it's best to wait until that is over if you are.

FINISH THE HIGHEST CAPTAIN FIRST. That's your US CA captain. When he is done, the Germans look like the next best candidates going on the basis of number of ships. When you have two 19 pointers, it means almost always having a 19 pointer to take out at any time; the ECXP builds rapidly after that. This is my own goal for this year.

Once you have started that 19 point grind, the ONLY thing I would set it aside for is something like Space Battles or Halloween, where they give you a whole bunch of 19 pointers and you can grind the living heck out of all of them and make ECXP on every battle without getting bored of a particular ship or nation.

After the first one, take a break before starting on the next - especially if you were hardcore spamming that captain with all the flags all the time. For the next patch after that, try to dedicate yourself to playing your next candidate in all their premiums to the first win, then go full-on hardcore again only when you have had a rest.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[4HIM]
Members
2,722 posts
9,502 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

for eff's sake get the Kronshtadt first.

It will likely be in my port soon.  And not talking about the WG patented SOONTM either.

4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Chapayev's not going anywhere and hankering after her is going to bankrupt you. Leave your Aurora in the Shchors for now; moving her is going to cost you retraining effort that's best put into your DM captain, unless you're happy to spend doubloons for that.

Not going to FXP the Cappy.  I'm just not too terribly far from unlocking it (him?  I think Russian ships are referred to that way).  By the time I do unlock it Aurora will probably be closer to 13 points at that time.  When I do move captain up, I typically pay the 200k and then hop them around the various premiums for the 1st win bonus until they're fully trained.  Takes a while but it's not a race.  I did hear Zath say in the last stream I watched that he didn't think it was the best idea to move captains up the line any longer.  Wish he'd gone into that more.  I'm probably so far behind in captain points because early on in my WoWS journey I mismanaged them a lot.  Had I been smarter I'd likely be further ahead than I am now.  

But thanks for your input.  I do appreciate it.

[NG-NL]
Members
6,001 posts
9,654 battles

I've gone up against Kron, it's not a powerful ship unless gets good targets that present broadside--hard to get at the tiers she plays at. Only careless DDs really fear her. Her deck armor is also vulnerable at any angle to plunging AP fire from even other cruisers. Her final negative is the T4 AA she comes with, so she'll be a favorite target of CVs come the rework release.

Nelson works if you like the bow-in tanking strategy. Only real caveat is her slow 24 knots makes her painful when uptiered. I mostly got Nelson because little else to use FXP on and there were directive missions that required her or Vanguard.

I wouldn't use FXP to make a 19-pointer unless it'll take 100K of it or less (assuming you have flags and Premium time to rebuild it gradually). After 3rd 19-pointer you won't want to FXP another one again.

Skip past what "awful" ships? Namely, what lines are you looking at? Seattle's a powerful CL in her own niche, deadlier to DDs than Buffalo because of her RoF plus thin enough armor that getting citadeled is harder. Yorck is an excellent T7, well-suited to long-range HE spam and surprise AP attacks if get close enough.

[4HIM]
Members
2,722 posts
9,502 battles
5 hours ago, Reymu said:

Skip past what "awful" ships? Namely, what lines are you looking at?

Well, the temptation to FXP past the Buffalo Chip was REAL strong.  Not until the last handful of games I played with it did I actually have decent games.  Oddly, my last game in it was just downright awful but a couple players (and one in a Shima in particular) carried my rather rotund rump to a win.  I think the Shima driver needed a chiropractor after that one.  Others have said the Seattle is far worse than Buffalo.  Given I've yet to unlock and purchase it, I'll have to find out for myself.  

But I didn't give in to the temptation to FXP past the Buffalo Chip.  Now I'm kind of glad I didn't.  The grind helped me gin up a few more captain points.  As it is, I got this one to 16 points in the game I played before the one where I finally garnered enough XP to unlock the DM.  Had I taken the FXP shortcut I'd have a T10 ship with a 13 point captain.  

And I know about the many weaknesses on the Kron.  But I don't see where the Alaska will help me grind out more captain XP given I have Salem as a USN heavy cruiser captain trainer.  I don't see where it adds anything for me.  

Members
2,897 posts
10,699 battles
7 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Well, the temptation to FXP past the Buffalo Chip was REAL strong.  Not until the last handful of games I played with it did I actually have decent games.  Oddly, my last game in it was just downright awful but a couple players (and one in a Shima in particular) carried my rather rotund rump to a win.  I think the Shima driver needed a chiropractor after that one.  Others have said the Seattle is far worse than Buffalo.  Given I've yet to unlock and purchase it, I'll have to find out for myself.  

But I didn't give in to the temptation to FXP past the Buffalo Chip.  Now I'm kind of glad I didn't.  The grind helped me gin up a few more captain points.  As it is, I got this one to 16 points in the game I played before the one where I finally garnered enough XP to unlock the DM.  Had I taken the FXP shortcut I'd have a T10 ship with a 13 point captain.  

And I know about the many weaknesses on the Kron.  But I don't see where the Alaska will help me grind out more captain XP given I have Salem as a USN heavy cruiser captain trainer.  I don't see where it adds anything for me.  

The Seattle is more difficult to use than the Buffalo. (edit: personally I didnt mind either of the grinds, found I could perform just fine in both of them. And was helpful to the team in its overall goal of trying to win)

But both those ships play like their tier 10 counter parts. It's good practice just to play them. You play generally in the same tier bracket, so its relevant experience.

I wouldnt use FXP on capt training, imho it's wasteful; even moreso than using it to skip entire ships in the tree lines. 

Id just aim for whatever fxp ships that interest you the most. 

Edited by Octavian_of_Roma

[SFBBW]
Beta Testers
1,185 posts
9,678 battles

Personally, I'm going to go with Option 5 - I'm holding on to what I have, until I see what the heck happens with this CV rework. Nothing in the Arsenal really interests me. 2.1 mil FXP and 600K EXP, my old Warspite captain as a 19 pointer, my DM 19 pointer, and a crapload of premiums to cycle them thru. I'm going to relax, do dailys with my two 19 pointers and premiums, level up different captains, do what campaigns and events that strike my interest, just build up my resources until the Airpocalypse happens, and see where I need to go from there.

Alpha Tester
10,267 posts
4,608 battles

I've got over a million fxp atm and by the time the rework drops I can double that since I'll have a couple paychecks to play around with. Might pick up the kron sooner if the timeframes doesmt line u as good.

[PVE]
Members
18,382 posts
11,377 battles
3 minutes ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

I've got over a million fxp atm and by the time the rework drops I can double that since I'll have a couple paychecks to play around with. Might pick up the kron sooner if the timeframes doesmt line u as good.

Today is the last day of the 1:35 FXP sale, so if you are going to buy FXP, do it before the server reset at 6am EST.