You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DocWalker

I Wish You Rough Seas, My Friends ...

14 comments in this topic

[WOLFC]
Members
2,097 posts
11,974 battles

There's an old saying, some say from the British Navy dating back to at least 1863, that says something along the lines "Smooth Seas Don't Make A Skilled Sailor".  If you had ever sailed a 30 Foot Sloop in a Force 9 Gale out of Mexico, or worse, you no doubt would understand what that means.

However, we play a game that's not so dangerous.  It offers only fantasy challenges but also a chance to excel and beat the odds.  I believe the new year will offer many of those challenges ... and I wish them all upon you.  For it is only through such endeavors that we learn and ultimately, hopefully, win.  Have a great 2019!

download.png

Edited by DocWalker
  • Cool 9

[XBRTC]
Members
2,989 posts
9,670 battles

Make no mistake about it: the sea is the real enemy.

I rode out one storm in the North Atlantic in January that literally kinked the bow of an FFG about 2 degrees to port, bent the platform for the fire control radar, knocked the air search radar out of alignment, spun both gyros, and caused about 2 million dollars in other structural damage that we actually fixed. (They never fixed the bow, but the ship moved up the decom list a bit.)

image.png.909aeb5721f294aeece59c2804b90f4f.png

• Cool 4

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
1 hour ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

I heard those words used by a British captain during WW2 when asked why British naval ships should stop to assist survivors of a ship they may have just helped to sink

Beta Testers
1,602 posts
10,096 battles
5 hours ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

I rode out one storm in the North Atlantic in January that literally kinked the bow of an FFG about 2 degrees to port, bent the platform for the fire control radar, knocked the air search radar out of alignment, spun both gyros, and caused about 2 million dollars in other structural damage that we actually fixed. (They never fixed the bow, but the ship moved up the decom list a bit.)

image.png.909aeb5721f294aeece59c2804b90f4f.png

Always wondered how ships larger than the WW2 corvettes and DD's weathered big storms....

[WOLF7]
Members
226 posts
5,341 battles

I spent my last 12 Years working at the Sea, although I have no intention of coming back, I do miss It. I Live close to entry of the Bay where the ships harbour and my heart always get heavy when I see the ships departing.

• Cool 1

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,748 posts
5,814 battles

Imagine if WoWs actually had rough seas. Now that would be a sight with your tiny destroyers violently bobbing up and down. Sadly even in maps with storms, the sea is completely flat and calm.

[ARGSY]
Members
15,091 posts
9,835 battles
3 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Imagine if WoWs actually had rough seas. Now that would be a sight with your tiny destroyers violently bobbing up and down. Sadly even in maps with storms, the sea is completely flat and calm.

If WOWS had rough seas, Vanguard would be unforgivably OP. Her IRL strong suit was the ability to maintain speed in godawful sea states that would leave other battleships WALLOWING. If WOWS had rough seas, Vanguard could chase anything down and run from anything if it needed to.

Right now I think the moving storm fronts they model do a reasonable job of mimicking filthy weather; however, we do not need simulator levels of accuracy to make our gunnery any harder than it is right now. Imagine having to take a seasickness penalty for DPM because your gunners were too busy throwing up to load.

[WAIFU]
13,748 posts
5,814 battles
22 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If WOWS had rough seas, Vanguard would be unforgivably OP. Her IRL strong suit was the ability to maintain speed in godawful sea states that would leave other battleships WALLOWING. If WOWS had rough seas, Vanguard could chase anything down and run from anything if it needed to.

Right now I think the moving storm fronts they model do a reasonable job of mimicking filthy weather; however, we do not need simulator levels of accuracy to make our gunnery any harder than it is right now. Imagine having to take a seasickness penalty for DPM because your gunners were too busy throwing up to load.

I'm down for that.Give everyone in that storm +20% dispersion for sea sickness.:Smile_teethhappy:

Personally I think WG doesn't have them more because of graphics issues it would present. When I used a large wave mod a long time ago the waves just ended up clipping through the length of destroyers and some smaller cruisers.

[ARGSY]
Members
15,091 posts
9,835 battles
7 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Personally I think WG doesn't have them more because of graphics issues it would present.

That too. I don't mind having the weather effects we've got now, but IMO they need to put their efforts into more important things for a while.

[H_]
Members
2,887 posts
13,281 battles

As many of you have reminded me about over the past year: reality dose not equal a good game.........  Personally, I'd love to have major and minor random storm systems.   It would ground CV's though.  It would eliminate long range fire for ships without radar (the entire IJN line as an example...)

Technically, it would be just about impossible since this game engine would not support that level of 3D animation from a random terrain generator.....  Neat idea, not economically logical: it would drive even more players away !!!  Wait till subs get into the main stream rotation !!!!!  Or, missiles.......  Or, gyro-stabilized gun systems with lock on capabilities........  Or........

[BBICT]
Members
3,573 posts
3,720 battles

I think I might get seasick if we had real storms in the game...:Smile_veryhappy: I'm prone to motion sickness, lol. My wife would be happy, as I would play a ton less, LOL. 

[WAIFU]
13,748 posts
5,814 battles
1 minute ago, Sir_Davos_Seaworth said:

I think I might get seasick if we had real storms in the game...:Smile_veryhappy: I'm prone to motion sickness, lol. My wife would be happy, as I would play a ton less, LOL. 

I feel ya. I can't play 1st person shooters at all because I get very motion sick.

[NSEW]
Members
1,530 posts
9,702 battles
8 hours ago, MG1962 said:

I heard those words used by a British captain during WW2 when asked why British naval ships should stop to assist survivors of a ship they may have just helped to sink

The days when gentlemen were able to place aside their differences for the sake of more pressing issues.

[NUWES]
Members
2,615 posts
8,402 battles
3 hours ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

That would be fantastic to see, unfortunately most players' computers couldn't handle animating the waves.