You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Old_Norse

I'm Sorry but this game is all about the DD

104 comments in this topic

[PRIME]
Members
14 posts

Yep that's right. This game is all about the DD. Its funny how a DD can destroy with all its Torp. But then a full heat solvo on them can't destroy them. At least i never had one. Its also amazing that you can't see them 4k away. I must be blind. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 4
  • Meh 14

[PQUOD]
Members
2,426 posts
5,357 battles

I'll take a DD over a CV any day of the year.

• Cool 5

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,765 battles
Just now, FrozenFinger said:

Yep that's right. This game is all about the DD. Its funny how a DD can destroy with all its Torp. But then a full heat solvo on them can't destroy them. At least i never had one. Its also amazing that you can't see them 4k away. I must be blind. 

Heh. You might think that...

At low tiers, you are very right. A well played DD is very powerful. It can be countered but it's difficult.

Once you get into CVs and radar, the game will shift.

Good luck and have fun! And vary that course and speed so the torps don't find you as easily.

• Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
12,601 posts

I one shot DD's all the time with BB guns. But it requires awareness of what's out there, and what ammo you should have loaded.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 2

[O_O]
Members
6,771 posts
16,218 battles

I'm sorry, but you are just wrong.

DD's are easily countered beginning at Tier 5.  They can be countered at lower tiers, as well, but it is a bit more difficult and requires more experience.

I play DD's, BB's, and cruisers.  I don't fear DD's.

If a destroyer can survive until late in the game (which is actually fairly rare) and they are unopposed by an enemy DD, their speed and concealment can allow them to control the caps and possibly influence the outcome.  But, it takes a disciplined DD captain to make that kind of late-game influence.

Edited by desmo_2
  • Cool 4

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,615 posts
10,339 battles

I mean DDs play a large part in the outcome of a battle but they aren't almighty as you say they are. CVs on the other hand......

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
Members
2,426 posts
5,357 battles
5 minutes ago, FrozenFinger said:

DD's punish people that sail in straight lines pretty hard. I tend to change my course and speed quite often. Can't count how many times it has saved me from running into torps. Gives DD captains the craps to watch their torps go sailing by.

• Cool 1

[BTD]
Members
294 posts
11,298 battles
7 minutes ago, Kevik70 said:

I mean DDs play a large part in the outcome of a battle but they aren't almighty as you say they are. CVs on the other hand......

yep for sure.  But if there is no CV in the game the dd is pretty damn important like you said.  

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,808 posts
17,000 battles
6 minutes ago, Anonymous50 said:

Curious which DD has a 4 km  concealment range?

IJN if one exists

[WORX]
Members
11,465 posts
19,211 battles
8 minutes ago, FrozenFinger said:

Yep that's right. This game is all about the DD BBs. Its funny how a DD BBs can destroy with all its Torp Salvo. But then a full heat salvo on them can't  Can destroy them. At least i never had one (Pratice aiming, map awarness and team play like tell your cruisers to sink DDs instead of DMG farming BBs). Its also amazing that you can't see them 4k away. I must be blind. (Assured Detection is 2km away, not to mention a good support cruiser will have a red DD almost near perma spotted) 

^^^^^ Fixed/edited your comment to reflect the current reality of the game. All I can say is tier 10 for now is BB god tier, if you want to feel invincible/unsinkable hen tier 10 is your tier for BB cpts.

One you you have to learn in all tiers, DODGE!

GL/HF

• Boring 2
  • Meh 2

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles
10 minutes ago, awiggin said:

I one shot DD's all the time with BB guns. But it requires awareness of what's out there, and what ammo you should have loaded.

I frequently 2 shot kill em with my cruisers. 

[BTD]
Members
294 posts
11,298 battles
7 minutes ago, Anonymous50 said:

Curious which DD has a 4 km  concealment range?

ppl dont always get all these game mechanics.  maybe he was passing and island or who the heck knows but none have 4k.   It could a few reasons why he didnt see the dd at 4k unless its just exaggerating

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,615 posts
10,339 battles
1 minute ago, Rickjoshi1765 said:

yep for sure.  But if there is no CV in the game the dd is pretty damn important like you said.  

Very important for spotting and typically deal far more damage than they take if played competently. They are definitely not as OP as the OP makes them out to be, in fact I'd say that within the first 5-8 minutes of the game 50% of all destroyers are sunk for various reasons.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
718 posts
1 minute ago, Navalpride33 said:

^^^^^ Fixed/edited your comment to reflect the current reality of the game. All I can say is tier 10 for now is BB god tier, if you want to feel invincible/unsinkable hen tier 10 is your tier for BB cpts.

One you you have to learn in all tiers, DODGE!

GL/HF

Try saying that when you are getting focused by a Worcester and a Minotaur and you are in a BB. Its a death sentence if you cant get out of their shots arcs.

• Cool 3

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles
1 minute ago, Kevik70 said:

Very important for spotting and typically deal far more damage than they take if played competently. They are definitely not as OP as the OP makes them out to be, in fact I'd say that within the first 5-8 minutes of the game 50% of all destroyers are sunk for various reasons.

Hell well played DDs are indeed a big threat but most, or many, are gone pretty quick.  I get on teams all the time with like 3 DDs that are gone in 5 min...or less.  Now the ones played well that hang around till the end can be game winners but not many do hang that long....in my experience. 

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,615 posts
10,339 battles
Just now, dmckay said:

Hell well played DDs are indeed a big threat but most, or many, are gone pretty quick.  I get on teams all the time with like 3 DDs that are gone in 5 min...or less.  Now the ones played well that hang around till the end can be game winners but not many do hang that long....in my experience. 

I started several games today asking DDs not to die in the first 5 minutes, can't say it worked all that well. What erks me though is when they die in the first 5 minutes and then complain that the team didn't support them enough. I'm sorry, how was me supporting you going to change the fact that you sailed into a torpedo and got sunk? Or better yet, there were 4 enemy radar ships on the other team and you dove into the cap anyways, how exactly am I suppose to kill all of them before the enemy team melts you from your own stupidity?

• Cool 1

[WOLF4]
[WOLF4]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
874 posts
13,452 battles

Oh look, another BB main moaning that he can't sail in a straight line. Maybe trying playing a DD line other than the 3 RN DD's you got from the RN missions.

Besides that if DD's were so OP, maybe you would play them more than the BB's.

• Cool 1

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles
1 minute ago, Kevik70 said:

I started several games today asking DDs not to die in the first 5 minutes, can't say it worked all that well. What erks me though is when they die in the first 5 minutes and then complain that the team didn't support them enough. I'm sorry, how was me supporting you going to change the fact that you sailed into a torpedo and got sunk? Or better yet, there were 4 enemy radar ships on the other team and you dove into the cap anyways, how exactly am I suppose to kill all of them before the enemy team melts you from your own stupidity?

Ya I can relate.  I see poorly played DDs all the time that charge at full speed right at the reds the moment the match begins.  They generally get dead fast.  Follow them in my cruiser?  NO WAY.

[--K--]
Members
5,392 posts
17,921 battles

Attention we're receiving a message from the Fleet Office in Port. 

DQzCWvF.gif

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[WORX]
Members
11,465 posts
19,211 battles
1 minute ago, Raigoth said:

Try saying that when you are getting focused by a Worcester and a Minotaur and you are in a BB. Its a death sentence if you cant get out of their shots arcs.

You can;t have it all, I mean for years BBs complained about torps (even though torps have what %8 hit rate?). FIre and HE are the only thing to take down a BB who has

• a 2 to 1 HP pool adv over a cruiser or
  • a 3 to 1 HP POOL adv over DDs. 

Not to mention, can deal DMG to a bow on cruiser for minimum 8k dmg outside the cruiser battery range (that is about 5 salvos and the cruiser is gone/sunk/sent to port without fear of retaliation). 

Its the current tier 10 meta, That is why people who play tier 8 dont want to be in tier 10 battles. The difference between tier 8 and tier 10 this year is much wider then last year and that is bad.

In summery two things you cant have in a arcade game.

1. Cant have ships who can one salvo sink a ship.
  2. Can;t have ships with no way of sinking it.

Will see what happens for he new year, but as it stands yeah no wounder people complain about tier 8 being up tiered to 10. Hopefully now that the CV rework is done, this topic can be revisited to re-balance tier 8-10 ships.

Happy New year !

• Boring 1

[LOIN]
Supertester
835 posts
30 minutes ago, awiggin said:

I find it difficult to harm DDs with Spee's HE, AP seems to do alot more than HE for Spee. After the update (with the 10% rule). AP seems to not work as well. And HE on the Spee against DDs was still worthless. AP seems to still work better but not as well as it use to.

[SYN]
Members
8,256 posts
14,111 battles

Have you tried to Git Gud? Should solve your problem really well.

Spoiler

For real though, looks like you are a BB main. Best way to learn how to stop dying to DDs is to play DDs, likely you are ignoring all the warnings of where they are and where the torps are coming from. Situational awareness + WASD hacks

• Meh 1