You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Nemo_Veritas

Yamato and musashi seem like they have zero counterplay

44 comments in this topic

Members
26 posts
2,854 battles

What I'm talking about is how they can just overmatch everything. I have seen countless Yamatos that just reverse in their base and still manage to hit you for 10k even sometimes 20k volleys in excess of 19km, and it's annoying that the game promotes this kind of behavior. In the way Yamato is designed, its accuracy and overmatch encourage players to camp, and its one of the worst ships to play against. It's almost like the Conqueror, where no matter how you angle against it, it still does 15k against you every time it fires. It promotes the same kind of brain-dead Conqueror gameplay where you shoot and see magical big numbers appear on your screen, even if the enemy player angles like he should. Its even worse if you're in a down-tiered ship and you have to fight it. The other thing that I noticed is that the Yamato has the second highest average damage among all tier 10 battleships, behind the Republique (at least on NA), despite having twice as many battles. Honestly this just proves even more how retarded it is, and every time there is a Yamato or musashi on my flank, I'm forced to turn around and kite away from it and I still get spanked every damn time it fires even though not a single inch of my broadside is facing it. The Yamato is also a ship that requires multiple team members working together focusing fire on it in order to bring it down, otherwise it just dominates the flank that it's on especially if it has team support. I hate ships like this that you can't reliably play against that clearly give its user a clear advantage. The only counterplay that I can think of is that you need to show a much more wide angle of your belt armor to make the shells bounce, rather than just making the Yamato's shells punch right through your nose, but that still doesn't help most of the time because of plunging fire or RNG. The other option is to just run, and most of the time especially if I'm in a BB I have to literally go to the other side of the map just to escape it. I want to hear what people think about this subject, and I want to know what method I should use to play against a Yamato, if it even exists.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 4

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,735 posts
7,019 battles

her counterplay?HE spam,her concealment sucks so she can't hide from cruisers,bb and even DDs(ijn dds specially).

CV's are their natural enemy,yamato and musashi arent exactly a problem to midway and the other tier10  CV(forgot her name).

their bow camp behaviro is predictable,easy to torp since they are almost static.

Edited by Cruxdei

[MKF]
Members
583 posts
20,416 battles

I enjoy torching those now reversing Yammys in my Zao... good times

[SSBN]
[SSBN]
Members
384 posts
8,484 battles

don’t fight them at range. They don’t manuever well and eat a lot of citadels at just about any angle.

• Cool 1

[OBS]
Members
354 posts
1,080 battles
Just now, Dath_1 said:

I enjoy torching those now reversing Yammys in my Zao... good times

Indeed, any halfway compitent ifhe bote and Captain poonish the yammy and sashi really bad

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
961 posts
10,139 battles

Well you know it's there, dodge....not hard to angle away from a Yamato camping 19km away as you say.

It's guns can over match but there's only 9 of them with glacial traverse and don't have fast reload like Repub. It has one of if not the most vulnerable citadels in the game. HE spam is everywhere. It's spotted from the moon. It's a brick so it's a torp magnet. I could go on but there's no need.

Sounds like you got blasted by one and could use a hefty dose of map awareness. Suggesting one of the most vulnerable T10 BBs in the game is uncounterable is going to get you torn apart on this forum lol

Members
26 posts
2,854 battles
2 minutes ago, gmrbull said:

don’t fight them at range. They don’t manuever well and eat a lot of citadels at just about any angle.

Fighting a Yamato at close range unless its like under 5km is suicide. They can overmatch you and do so much damage that it's practically signing your death warrant

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
961 posts
10,139 battles
2 minutes ago, Nemo_Veritas said:

Fighting a Yamato at close range unless its like under 5km is suicide. They can overmatch you and do so much damage that it's practically signing your death warrant

The best suggestion I have for you is to grind it out and play it yourself. Once you do you'll realize just how unforgiving it can be. Mistakes are punished. HARD

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
37,360 battles
16 hours ago, Nemo_Veritas said:

LOL. I always fight them as close as possible. That fat cheek is good for 50K citadel hits. I'd much rather brawl a Yammy than a Monty or a Republic.

• Cool 1

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles

I don't play tier 10 but I must ask.......why is the almighty Yamato's win rate only a bit over 49%. I would like to know.  Serious question. Ships with a win rate like that are considered average. 

Edited by dmckay

Members
26 posts
2,854 battles
1 minute ago, Taichunger said:

LOL. I always fight them as close as possible. That fat cheek is good for 50K citadel hits. I'd much rather brawl a Yammy than a Monty or a Republic.

When you say close range, I mean 10-8km. Under that is close, like you say, and is really where the Yamato underperforms. But most players don't brawl in a Yamato

[SALVO]
Members
25,517 posts
27,504 battles
14 minutes ago, Nemo_Veritas said:

What I'm talking about is how they can just overmatch everything. I have seen countless Yamatos that just reverse in their base and still manage to hit you for 10k even sometimes 20k volleys in excess of 19km, and it's annoying that the game promotes this kind of behavior. In the way Yamato is designed, its accuracy and overmatch encourage players to camp, and its one of the worst ships to play against. It's almost like the Conqueror, where no matter how you angle against it, it still does 15k against you every time it fires. It promotes the same kind of brain-dead Conqueror gameplay where you shoot and see magical big numbers appear on your screen, even if the enemy player angles like he should. Its even worse if you're in a down-tiered ship and you have to fight it. The other thing that I noticed is that the Yamato has the second highest average damage among all tier 10 battleships, behind the Republique (at least on NA), despite having twice as many battles. Honestly this just proves even more how retarded it is, and every time there is a Yamato or musashi on my flank, I'm forced to turn around and kite away from it and I still get spanked every damn time it fires even though not a single inch of my broadside is facing it. The Yamato is also a ship that requires multiple team members working together focusing fire on it in order to bring it down, otherwise it just dominates the flank that it's on especially if it has team support. I hate ships like this that you can't reliably play against that clearly give its user a clear advantage. The only counterplay that I can think of is that you need to show a much more wide angle of your belt armor to make the shells bounce, rather than just making the Yamato's shells punch right through your nose, but that still doesn't help most of the time because of plunging fire or RNG. The other option is to just run, and most of the time especially if I'm in a BB I have to literally go to the other side of the map just to escape it. I want to hear what people think about this subject, and I want to know what method I should use to play against a Yamato, if it even exists.

1. Yammies and Musashis tend to fight at range because their turret traverse is so bad.  So, if they can find a nice spot to (horrors!) camp and blast away without having to turn their glacially slow turrets, that's what they'll do.   Arguably, if their turrets turned more quickly, Yammy/Mushy players might be more willing to be more mobile.  Regardless, the fact that they often fight from a fairly static position is also a weakness because it makes for a relatively easy target for HE spammers that have the range to reach them.

2. Yammies require multiple team members to bring it down?  Well, duh.  Same as pretty much any other tier 10 battleship.  They all have enormous HP pools.  And taking them down without getting another BB in position to get cits or DD to land torps or CV to torp/bomb it, does take time, because you're basically talking about chipping away relatively slowly at that HP pool.  That's just the way it is with all high tier BBs, not just the Yammusashi.

3.  If you're in another BB when there's a Yammy on the other team, try to be aware of his position and where his guns are aimed.  And if he's aimed in your general direction, try to angle your BB's armor.  And if you can get close to a Yammy even in a lower tier BB, don't be afraid to brawl with it, and if you have superior speed, try to fight a battle of maneuver where you out turn his turrets.  Also, if you're in a tier 8 USN BB or a Richelieu, don't be afraid to rush the Yammy directly (i.e. showing only your bow).  And if you can get the Yammy's health down low enough, you can ram him for the kill.  Or at least make him THINK that that's what you want to do.  Some Yammy drivers might make an instinctive turn away and expose their broadside, at which time you can blast them!

Yammies can indeed hit like a truck.  But they're not invincible.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
25,517 posts
27,504 battles
7 minutes ago, dmckay said:

I don't play tier 10 but I must ask.......why is the almighty Yamato's win rate only a bit over 49%. I would like to know.  Serious question. Ships with a win rate like that are considered average. 

Because so many people have a Yammy, of all skill levels.  Some players may think that it's an auto-win button when it really isn't.  And that's reflected in the ship's overall WR.  Even the most OP ships going will end up with decidedly average WGs when enough average or worse players start to play them.

Members
941 posts
4,088 battles

HE spam works, aircraft works, torpedo works.

Also, if you get close enough or if he's angled to you, you can citadel him since he has an angled citadel.

Beta Testers
718 posts

From playing the Yammy and Mushy, I can personally say that they arent that great...RNG hates me though, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I cant seem to do much damage with them at all. My shots always seem to go around my target.

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles
12 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Because so many people have a Yammy, of all skill levels.  Some players may think that it's an auto-win button when it really isn't.  And that's reflected in the ship's overall WR.  Even the most OP ships going will end up with decidedly average WGs when enough average or worse players start to play them.

I see what you mean however there are quite a few ships that hold a high win rate in the +50% range that have well over a million battles.  Graf Spee last time I checked has a win rate of over 54% and has over a million battles.  I think that is the highest win rate for a cruiser in her tier and close to the highest for all German ships in all tiers. There are other ships that hold high win rates over time. Quite a few. Tks and carry on mate. 

[ABCD3]
Members
511 posts
13,324 battles

As big as they are, in size and firepower, they do fall hard to with this disadvantage they have too.  You have to play the style of "David and Goliath".

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
555 posts

cv are the counter to bb but they were near extinct in 8.0 the game will make sense again

lone camping bb will just be sweet juicy potatoes like they should be

[WOLF9]
Members
4,651 posts

The lolpen is definitely annoying, but like others have said, it's far from invulnerable.   I do say that putting Musashi at tier 9 was in poor taste, though- there's no need to inflict that ship on tier 7's...

Long range fire works in both directions, and no ship can be pointing it's guns in several directions at once...   I quite enjoy inflicting citadel pens of my own on them with Missouri and Montana.   The slow speed of their shells helps at long range- your shots are falling down when they hit, and can sometimes hit deck instead of armor belt.  Those shots hurt like hell.  Not to mention the ones that land on turret roofs, and knock them out.   I even occasionally get a citadel on a German BB with a long range salvo- almost always from a lucky shell that hit the deck around one of the front turrets.

I'm a BB brawler at heart, but I'll take those long range shots if they present themselves.   Otherwise, I'd rather get closer- where you have better penetration, and they have less time to dodge.  (and YOU take far fewer hits to your deck and upper belt, lol)

My advice is to keep an eye on any spotted Yam/Sashi, and use terrain to block it's line of sight, while you move to a more advantageous position.   From experience- these guys are right- you can hurt these ships BADLY if you flank them.  Even without citadels, these ships are huge targets that are difficult to miss- and eat normal pens through the secondary deck just like any other BB.

As for the Conq.  Yep, WG's RN BB HE schtick is definitely irritating with this ship- BUT:  It eats pens like crazy.   They also burn quite nicely.   So SHOOT IT.  Shoot it often!  Pound it like a bully who just stomped on your lunch, or sucker punched your kid brother.   They take lots of damage from CA and BB caliber AP.  (at least USN and German CA's)  Citadelling one is very unlikely, but nailing it for several normal pens is easy- and hurts just as bad.

Don't let them scare you into focusing on total defense or running away- that just means they can pound away at you with impunity.   The players of those ships don't like getting kicked in the teeth any more than you do.

I prefer to play USN CA's and BB's and French BB's- esp high tier ones- so I see all three of these ships a lot.  (screw torpedoes- gimme something to shoot at!!)

[DANKY]
Members
734 posts
2,066 battles

They’re slow, easy to hit, easy to citadel when you get their side, they can’t dodge torps, and pointing their guns is a strategic decision that won’t change quickly. Fires burn as a % of HP, so everyone wants to get you burning. 

Edited by Eugenie_101

[-NOM-]
Members
107 posts
12,284 battles

Wow

Everything counters Yammys.   Fire, DD torpedos, CV's.   I ground out the Yammy legendary skill, there were lots of brutal games....

• Cool 1