Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
dechion

Learning to cruiser

8 comments in this topic

[WOLFX]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,099 posts
4,047 battles

Over the time I've been playing wows I have tried all 4 classes. 

I didn't care for CV play and abandoned it pretty quickly.

BB's are a bit like playing in slow motion, but can be fun.

DD's are where I got my groove, having lots of fun especially with more vision control/torpedo centric boats. 

Recently I've started trying to learn how to CL/CA effectively. Lower tier ones like Murmansk are fun. The Cleveland I got from a mission some time back is fun and challenging, though I don't play her to her potential I'm sure. 

I'm looking for a bit of advice on what cruisers in the tier 5/6 range would be good to develop the right skill set to do well at higher tiers.

The only ones I actually have at that level so far are Murmansk and Marblehead, one from a contest on FB and one from a crate.

Perhaps even multiple ships to learn different things from?

Anyhow, I'm open to suggestions. 

[BLHK]
Members
558 posts
38 minutes ago, dechion said:

I'm looking for a bit of advice on what cruisers in the tier 5/6 range would be good to develop the right skill set to do well at higher tiers.

The only ones I actually have at that level so far are Murmansk and Marblehead, one from a contest on FB and one from a crate.

Tier 5 and 6 cruiser play wont really prepare you for higher tiers. At that tier it is all about maneuvering. At the higher levels the game sort of slows down for cruisers and it is a lot more about positioning.

Marblehead is an interesting ship. Many dont like her but I have always had a blast when I dust her off for a game.

Becoming a competent cruiser driver will make you a much better DD main in the long run. The old "Know thy enemy" thing going on

[5D5]
Members
1,664 posts
9,864 battles

I recommend the German and French line of cruisers...  Konigsberg and Emile Bertin at T5 especially.

Both Jack-of-all-trades, the Germans are serious gunboats with defensive torps, French are barn-burners that run fast and kite well.

2 somewhat different playstyles, but good skills to develop.

[WOLFX]
1,099 posts
4,047 battles
1 hour ago, MG1962 said:

Tier 5 and 6 cruiser play wont really prepare you for higher tiers. At that tier it is all about maneuvering. At the higher levels the game sort of slows down for cruisers and it is a lot more about positioning.

Marblehead is an interesting ship. Many dont like her but I have always had a blast when I dust her off for a game.

Becoming a competent cruiser driver will make you a much better DD main in the long run. The old "Know thy enemy" thing going on

What ships would you recommend for learning tighter tier play? Just sticking with my Cleveland?

[WOLFX]
1,099 posts
4,047 battles
1 hour ago, OtterWolf said:

I recommend the German and French line of cruisers...  Konigsberg and Emile Bertin at T5 especially.

Both Jack-of-all-trades, the Germans are serious gunboats with defensive torps, French are barn-burners that run fast and kite well.

2 somewhat different playstyles, but good skills to develop.

Thanks. I think I have both lines at tier 3 already, with plenty of free XP to bump up to upgraded tier 5's.

May even have captains laying about.

[5D5]
Members
1,664 posts
9,864 battles
On 12/31/2018 at 6:17 PM, dechion said:

What ships would you recommend for learning tighter tier play? Just sticking with my Cleveland?

Tier playstyle is progressive.. Once you get to 5, I wouldn't recommend jumping over tiers, unless you already know what you are in for. I would recommend grinding one or two lines though each tier to prepare you for high tier.

So, by the time you grind your Cleveland to Seattle, theoretically, you'll understand what tier 8 is about.. At least from an USN point of view.

Same with the other nations. Standard wisdom is that if you grind 80% of what you need for the next tier, you will have a grasp of how that tier plays.

Once you have done one or two lines all the way to tier 10, it will become easier to understand the "flavor" of a new line.

BTW, the toughest cruiser line for me to begin to grasp was British. They confounded me all the way to Minotaur.. :fish_book:

On a personal note, my Dad was a tin-can sailor as well...  USS Bell, DD587 (Fletcher-class)

Members
82 posts
595 battles
18 hours ago, OtterWolf said:

Tier playstyle is progressive.. Once you get to 5, I wouldn't recommend jumping over tiers, unless you already know what you are in for. I would recommend grinding one or two lines though each tier to prepare you for high tier.

So, by the time you grind your Cleveland to Seattle, theoretically, you'll understand what tier 8 is about.. At least from an USN point of view.

Same with the other nations. Standard wisdom is that if you grind 80% of what you need for the next tier, you will have a grasp of how that tier plays.

Once you have done one or two lines all the way to tier 10, it will become easier to understand the "flavor" of a new line.

BTW, the toughest cruiser line for me to begin to grasp was British. They confounded me all the way to Minotaur.. :fish_book:

On a personal note, my Dad was a tin-can sailor as well...  USS Bell, DD587 (Fletcher-class)

I think, based on my own experience, that this sums it up the best for me as well.  Personally, I prefer lower tier cruiser play or game play in general.  but I would say that the best strategy is to just grind thru what ever line it is you want to work on.  Each has it's own quirks and the only way to really get a handle on them is to play  them thru the tires.  Also, at T10 many of the cruisers change significantly from their T9 counter parts.

Ditto with the British for me too by the way.  Still getting a handle on Mino but now, after a massive losing streak, things are looking up a bit.

Also, my Dad was a DD guy as well.  USS Brinkley Bass DD887 (Gearing Class)

https://goo.gl/images/qoxmvF

[GOCRY]
Members
639 posts

Learning the play style of a particular line is more important than learning “higher tier” play, as they all play differently.  What line to pick generally depends on how you want to play, but if I’m going to recommend any particular line, then it would be the German cruisers, as they are generally considered the most well-rounded / Jack-of-all-trades line.

Sign in to follow this