Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Slurms_McKenzie

Torpedo Acceleration Skill

5 comments in this topic

Members
9 posts
2,907 battles

Does this affect the torpedo arming distance?  In other words if I get this skill and my torps become 5 knots faster, does that mean that I need to drop them from farther away to give the torps enough time to arm before they hit the target?  And if that's the case, does this skill have any net benefit? 

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
23,138 battles

No! All it does is increase their speed but decrease their range. The arming distance for all torpedoes is depicted in the aiming area, they don't arm until they pass the line where the green aiming arc starts alongside your hull.

Members
689 posts
5,768 battles
10 minutes ago, Slurms_McKenzie said:

Does this affect the torpedo arming distance?  In other words if I get this skill and my torps become 5 knots faster, does that mean that I need to drop them from farther away to give the torps enough time to arm before they hit the target?  And if that's the case, does this skill have any net benefit? 

No.

The skill has niche uses (within the "viable" category) on ships with unreasonably long range torps.

Ships that benefit from torpedo acceleration include but are not necessarily limited to:

Every CV.

Gearing long range torps.

Asashio torps.

USS Black torps.

Shimakaze longer range torps.

Any DD where you think "these torps have long ranges I'm not going to always use" can have a playstyle switch or improvement by cutting torp range and boosting speed.

• Cool 1

Members
1,526 posts
11,524 battles

Keep in mind, if you use torpedo acceleration on, for example, Shimakaze, then it also affects any premium you drop that captain into. For example, Kamikaze. It would make playing that premium immeasureably harder than normal.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this