You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
permanentnoob

The 0.8.0 CV/AA update has a lot more changes than you know

244 comments in this topic

Members
154 posts
7,792 battles

(DISCLAIMER: My graphics abilities suck, so please excuse the lack of creative pics.)

With all this talk of what new 0.8.0 CV/AA play will be like, I decided to take a look on the player test server. Maybe even practice a bit with new CVs.

What I found was way more changes than I've seen discussed on here. Upgrade slot and consumables changes, more details on AA changes and Captain skills changes.

This is just an FYI of the changes I discovered on the PTS server.

I am assuming that being this close to release (approx. 3 weeks), the data/values on the PTS are correct and should be carried over when 0.8.0 drops.

All info below was based on comparing PTS Roon against current Roon. I just randomly picked it because it was the highest tier boat in the PTS that I owned in game. Since different ships have different options (i.e. upgrade slot options), this info is NOT all inclusive. I'm sure there's more changes to other ships on the PTS that I simply have not seen yet.

Let's start with the upgrade slot changes.

Slot #3 now adds +2 explosions in the med and long AA bubble. The amount of base explosions varies for each ship (see AA defense in next section).

image.thumb.png.3726b234bd74ba963ce449dd664ce998.png

I don't even know how to sum up slot #6. Do you gain an effective 30% dmg bonus, or is "Continuous damage" somehow different than "Explosion damage"? I don't know enough about the actual AA mathematics/process to give an answer.

image.thumb.png.e52be908f748f16ea39619d02786c323.png

And the Defensive AA and Catapult fighter consumable changes.

image.thumb.png.d80a4640718312332aff55e8744097de.png

I'm not 100% certain of the actual DPS numbers with this change. It looks like the overall bonus is reduced from 200% to 50%, but you gain 75% in med and long range AA. Duration and reload stay the same.

image.thumb.png.601e548f2e151b2c3cc894af25b4ad7a.png

Again, no data on DPS for the new cat. fighter. You do get 6 of them instead of 1, but the action time is severely reduced from 3min (360sec) down to just 30sec. It would seem that this option will provide much better AA defense (assuming the DPS stays the same, you get 6x the fighters), but for a very short period of time. And the reload time is reduced as well, although I don't understand why the free fighters reload is reduced by 45%, but the P2P fighters are only reduced by 25%.

Now on to the general AA data changes....

image.thumb.png.094714bcec30bcf25b1ca8dbf9349b4a.png

Lets start with the number of explosions. They vary for each ship. I did not look at the number of AA explosions for every ship on PTS, but a quick glance a a couple other boats shows that it is a variable number. Example: Roon has 6/6 Long/Med explosions. Saint-Louis has 3/7, Chung Mu has 4/2, Alsace has 6/7 and Iowa has 8/10. If you select AA Guns Mod 1 in slot #3, with a static value of "+2", you could be effectively be adding 100% of the number of explosions, or only adding 25% or less. So on a Roon, you gain 33%/33% (going from 6/6 to 8/8) more explosions with the upgrade, but on an Iowa, you only gain 25%/20% (going from 8/10 to 10/12).

Then we have this "AA sector reinforcement" business. WTH is that? Is it always in play, or only when using Manual Fire Control Caption skill? How many sectors are there... 2, 4, 8, 20? Which sector is selected by default? What exactly is a sector? And since it takes 10sec to change sectors on a Roon, you better be doing that as soon as planes are spotted. 10sec is a lifetime doing any function in a T10 game. And it looks like the sector can only be reinforced for 10sec? Then what happens?

I've read the preliminary info WG has put out about 0.8.0 updates, but none of this was spelled out, so I'm at a complete loss of how this is going to work.

Oh, and as someone else mentioned in another thread, the short, med and long range AA values are no longer stacking. They all have minimum distances, which just happen to be the maximum distance for the next lower range.

Now on to the Captains skills changes. (There are skills that are specific to CV only, but I'm not throwing them in here).

DE and SE now includes changes for aircraft.

image.png.631e9bd068cb61d0b5cee0ab56bf3d62.pngimage.png.4cd375fe21c8d12591abc040e0f0c286.png

Looks to me like BFT gets a -10% nerf, but since I don;t know the AA mechanics, I can't say for certain.

image.png.f21dd77cee16070e1c23c3892938b220.png

No more 20% AA range bonus for AFT, but you do get a +15% damage bonus.

image.png.1dc4fb6e8568e1b7bb9ae94e52e1308b.png

Manual Fire Control for AA loses its big AA gun bonus, but now gets 20% sector reinforcement and efficiency bonuses. So on the Roon, you get 2 seconds additional sector time. That doesn't seem like a lot to me for a 4pt captain skill.

And I have no idea what "20% efficiency" bonus means. Is that damage, dispersion or something else?

image.png.4f34ab5dd2870edcab6452bddd8aaa61.png

And now my personal favorite.......

image.png.6197cafe48ce76bbde560b89deaf5e93.png

That's right boys and girls..... it looks like your det range of CA/BB/CV is going up across the board. Maybe this is just a PTS thing, at least I hope so.

In summary...

With the amount of new things that affect AA (distance changes, reinforcement, sectors), I hope WG spells out in great detail what all of that means before the update goes live. There is a metric crap-tonne of changes going on and no word yet on free captain respec'ing, consumables/upgrade swapping, details for proper AA defense, etc. We really need more info from WG and hopefully some time soon.

• Cool 11
  • Funny 1

Alpha Tester
7,114 posts
3,732 battles

Catapult fighter exchanges aircraft at a 1 to 1 ratio. So if you have 3 fighters you kill 3 CV aircraft, but with the Skill you get 6 fighters and kill 6 CV aircraft. 

Keep in mind the CV can use his fighters the same way.

• Cool 2

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
8,295 posts

I've been trying to get this word out for a couple of days -- thank you for this thread.

• No range boost to AA from the AFT skill.
  • Manual AA skill nerfed to hell by changing it from +100% to "better sector reinforcement" (useless).
  • AA does not overlap in range bands -- your large AA guns just stop at the max range of your medium guns, and your medium guns just stop at the max range of your small guns.
  • Cat fighters reduced from 300+ to just 30 seconds.

Add in the total loss of actual fighters for the CVs, and in total Wargaming has made an absolute wreck of anything that can slow down the striking power of CV bombers.

• Cool 13
  • Funny 1

Members
154 posts
7,792 battles
Just now, Madwolf05 said:

Catapult fighter exchanges aircraft at a 1 to 1 ratio. So if you have 3 fighters you kill 3 CV aircraft, but with the Skill you get 6 fighters and kill 6 CV aircraft. 

Keep in mind the CV can use his fighters the same way.

Help me understand this... the default value of cat fighters on the Roon is 6.

What "skill" do I need to add to increase that number? I don't understand what you;re saying....

Beta Testers
754 posts
9,452 battles

I agree that 30 seconds is WAY too short.  However, given as the OP mentioned there are still many unknowns, we will have to see how this rework impacts game play.  My biggest fear is that the reason for the rework is that a bad/good CV player can have a disproportional affect on a team now, I believe the rework has made it worse.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
8,295 posts
Just now, Siegewolf said:

I agree that 30 seconds is WAY too short.  However, given as the OP mentioned there are still many unknowns, we will have to see how this rework impacts game play.  My biggest fear is that the reason for the rework is that a bad/good CV player can have a disproportional affect on a team now, I believe the rework has made it worse.

The rework is going to make it far far worse -- in part because the new interface is a total b**** to use.  Anyone who can master that muddle is going to be a monster.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
16,904 posts
10,908 battles
12 minutes ago, permanentnoob said:

(DISCLAIMER: My graphics abilities suck, so please excuse the lack of creative pics.)

With all this talk of what new 0.8.0 CV/AA play will be like, I decided to take a look on the player test server. Maybe even practice a bit with new CVs.

What I found was way more changes than I've seen discussed on here. Upgrade slot and consumables changes, more details on AA changes and Captain skills changes.

This is just an FYI of the changes I discovered on the PTS server.

I am assuming that being this close to release (approx. 3 weeks), the data/values on the PTS are correct and should be carried over when 0.8.0 drops.

All info below was based on comparing PTS Roon against current Roon. I just randomly picked it because it was the highest tier boat in the PTS that I owned in game. Since different ships have different options (i.e. upgrade slot options), this info is NOT all inclusive. I'm sure there's more changes to other ships on the PTS that I simply have not seen yet.

Let's start with the upgrade slot changes.

Slot #3 now adds +2 explosions in the med and long AA bubble. The amount of base explosions varies for each ship (see AA defense in next section).

image.thumb.png.3726b234bd74ba963ce449dd664ce998.png

I don't even know how to sum up slot #6. Do you gain an effective 30% dmg bonus, or is "Continuous damage" somehow different than "Explosion damage"? I don't know enough about the actual AA mathematics/process to give an answer.

image.thumb.png.e52be908f748f16ea39619d02786c323.png

And the Defensive AA and Catapult fighter consumable changes.

image.thumb.png.d80a4640718312332aff55e8744097de.png

I'm not 100% certain of the actual DPS numbers with this change. It looks like the overall bonus is reduced from 200% to 50%, but you gain 75% in med and long range AA. Duration and reload stay the same.

image.thumb.png.601e548f2e151b2c3cc894af25b4ad7a.png

Again, no data on DPS for the new cat. fighter. You do get 6 of them instead of 1, but the action time is severely reduced from 3min (360sec) down to just 30sec. It would seem that this option will provide much better AA defense (assuming the DPS stays the same, you get 6x the fighters), but for a very short period of time. And the reload time is reduced as well, although I don't understand why the free fighters reload is reduced by 45%, but the P2P fighters are only reduced by 25%.

Now on to the general AA data changes....

image.thumb.png.094714bcec30bcf25b1ca8dbf9349b4a.png

Lets start with the number of explosions. They vary for each ship. I did not look at the number of AA explosions for every ship on PTS, but a quick glance a a couple other boats shows that it is a variable number. Example: Roon has 6/6 Long/Med explosions. Saint-Louis has 3/7, Chung Mu has 4/2, Alsace has 6/7 and Iowa has 8/10. If you select AA Guns Mod 1 in slot #3, with a static value of "+2", you could be effectively be adding 100% of the number of explosions, or only adding 25% or less. So on a Roon, you gain 33%/33% (going from 6/6 to 8/8) more explosions with the upgrade, but on an Iowa, you only gain 25%/20% (going from 8/10 to 10/12).

Then we have this "AA sector reinforcement" business. WTH is that? Is it always in play, or only when using Manual Fire Control Caption skill? How many sectors are there... 2, 4, 8, 20? Which sector is selected by default? What exactly is a sector? And since it takes 10sec to change sectors on a Roon, you better be doing that as soon as planes are spotted. 10sec is a lifetime doing any function in a T10 game. And it looks like the sector can only be reinforced for 10sec? Then what happens?

I've read the preliminary info WG has put out about 0.8.0 updates, but none of this was spelled out, so I'm at a complete loss of how this is going to work.

Oh, and as someone else mentioned in another thread, the short, med and long range AA values are no longer stacking. They all have minimum distances, which just happen to be the maximum distance for the next lower range.

Now on to the Captains skills changes. (There are skills that are specific to CV only, but I'm not throwing them in here).

DE and SE now includes changes for aircraft.

image.png.631e9bd068cb61d0b5cee0ab56bf3d62.pngimage.png.4cd375fe21c8d12591abc040e0f0c286.png

Looks to me like BFT gets a -10% nerf, but since I don;t know the AA mechanics, I can't say for certain.

image.png.f21dd77cee16070e1c23c3892938b220.png

No more 20% AA range bonus for AFT, but you do get a +15% damage bonus.

image.png.1dc4fb6e8568e1b7bb9ae94e52e1308b.png

Manual Fire Control for AA loses its big AA gun bonus, but now gets 20% sector reinforcement and efficiency bonuses. So on the Roon, you get 2 seconds additional sector time. That doesn't seem like a lot to me for a 4pt captain skill.

And I have no idea what "20% efficiency" bonus means. Is that damage, dispersion or something else?

image.png.4f34ab5dd2870edcab6452bddd8aaa61.png

And now my personal favorite.......

image.png.6197cafe48ce76bbde560b89deaf5e93.png

That's right boys and girls..... it looks like your det range of CA/BB/CV is going up across the board. Maybe this is just a PTS thing, at least I hope so.

In summary...

With the amount of new things that affect AA (distance changes, reinforcement, sectors), I hope WG spells out in great detail what all of that means before the update goes live. There is a metric crap-tonne of changes going on and no word yet on free captain respec'ing, consumables/upgrade swapping, details for proper AA defense, etc. We really need more info from WG and hopefully some time soon.

There will be continous AA damage and AA flak clouds for the planes to dodge. Med and Long range AA generates the flak clouds.

The AA efficiency for AFT is when you hit a priority sector for port or starboard for AA. Not sure if the bonus will be on both sides or not. It takes time to swap sectors, so this reduces that sector switch time as well.

The CE change is coming as some BBs could get less of a detect range than some cruisers.

Edited by Kizarvexis
spelling

[5IN]
Supertester
2,047 posts
9,662 battles

Since CVs never run out of planes in the new update, then why take such a huge nerf hammer to AA?  I understand it needs to be reworked to fit with the changes, but from what I've read here and elsewhere, its a bit much.  Especially given that planes are unlimited now.  

B

• Cool 6

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
8,295 posts
7 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

There will be continous AA damage and AA flak clouds for the planes to dodge. Med and Long range AA generates the flak clouds.

The AA efficiency for AFT is when you hit a priority sector or port or starboard for AA. Not sure if the bonus will be on both sides or not. It takes time to swap sectors, so this reduces that sector time as well.

The medium and long range ALSO generate continuous AA damage, and from what the PTS shows, that damage ALSO stops at the max range of the next bracket inward. 

AFT just makes the explosions more powerful now, big stinking woop -- that's a complete nerf from when it increased the range.

Manual AA skill is the one that makes the "sector swapping" more effective and faster, again big woop, as the sector swapping is a useless distraction.

1 minute ago, bassmasta76 said:

Since CVs never run out of planes in the new update, then why take such a huge nerf hammer to AA?  I understand it needs to be reworked to fit with the changes, but from what I've read here and elsewhere, its a bit much.  Especially given that planes are unlimited now. 

There was nothing about the old AA system that needed to be reworked for the new CV system. 

The point was evidently to make AA more "interactive".  :Smile_facepalm::Smile_smile:

Edited by KilljoyCutter

[WOLF2]
Members
241 posts
6,246 battles

More than anything, there simply must be a free captain respec in the next update.

I find it absurd to be expected to pay doubloons or use Elite Captain XP to respec commanders with this many changes to current builds. 

[ARGSY]
Members
14,033 posts
9,049 battles
8 minutes ago, bassmasta76 said:

Since CVs never run out of planes in the new update, then why take such a huge nerf hammer to AA? 

Your AA will only have to deal with ONE flight element from each carrier, only PART of which will be making an attack run. You won't have to cope with multiple bomber and torpedo squadrons from the same carrier coming in simultaneously any more, particularly not from several directions from the same CV. At high tiers, that's going to make a hell of a difference.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 4

[PVE]
Members
16,904 posts
10,908 battles
3 minutes ago, bassmasta76 said:

B

Only one squadron from one CV can attack one ship at a time. Only 3 planes from that squadron will make each attack run, but all 12 can be shot down.

1 minute ago, KilljoyCutter said:

The medium and long range ALSO generate continuous AA damage, and from what the PTS shows, that damage ALSO stops at the max range of the next bracket inward. 

AFT just makes the explosions more powerful now, big stinking woop -- that's a complete nerf from when it increased the range.

Manual AA skill is the one that makes the "sector swapping" more effective and faster, again big woop, as the sector swapping is a useless distraction.

Maybe I could have  been more clear in that first sentence, but yes, close, medium, and long range AA all do continuous damage. Med and long range AA also generate flak cloud.

Part of the rework is going to be for AA ranges to be standardized. It remains to see if AFT will be worth it for the increased damage. It may or may not.

I'm not too happy with sector swapping, but I would like to know two things. Is the AA sector reinforcement for both sectors or just the one being prioritized. IIRC, prioritizing a sector boosts it to 115% damage and the other to 85% damage. If it boosts both, then it would be 135% and 105% (or 120%/120%) and that would be worth more to me than the AFT boosting the flak clouds by +15%.

[PVE]
Members
16,904 posts
10,908 battles
12 minutes ago, HTSMetal said:

More than anything, there simply must be a free captain respec in the next update.

I find it absurd to be expected to pay doubloons or use Elite Captain XP to respec commanders with this many changes to current builds. 

I would be surprised if there is not a general Cmdr respec and a free demount on AA upgrades. I have some AA builds that I would change around. Looking more and more like MFCAA will be the skill to take before AFT. Right now, AFT is better to take first over MFCAA because of the AA range boost. 

[WOLFC]
Members
1,300 posts
7,172 battles
9 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Your AA will only have to deal with ONE flight element from each carrier, only PART of which will be making an attack run. You won't have to cope with multiple bomber and torpedo squadrons from the same carrier coming in simultaneously any more, particularly not from several directions from the same CV. At high tiers, that's going to make a hell of a difference.

I'm trying to  understand this dynamic  (I'm not a CV main so I've not been following too close)

One part of a squadron makes an attacking run.

Is the squadron done then?

or

Can another part of the squadron, assuming there are some left, get to make an attacking run?

[90THD]
[90THD]
Members
3,050 posts
2,482 battles
26 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

The AA efficiency for AFT is when you hit a priority sector for port or starboard for AA. Not sure if the bonus will be on both sides or not. It takes time to swap sectors, so this reduces that sector switch time as well.

Right, if you had a base of 120% when you reinforce one sector, the skill add to that number.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
8,295 posts
10 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Only one squadron from one CV can attack one ship at a time. Only 3 planes from that squadron will make each attack run, but all 12 can be shot down.

Maybe I could have  been more clear in that first sentence, but yes, close, medium, and long range AA all do continuous damage. Med and long range AA also generate flak cloud.

Part of the rework is going to be for AA ranges to be standardized. It remains to see if AFT will be worth it for the increased damage. It may or may not.

I'm not too happy with sector swapping, but I would like to know two things. Is the AA sector reinforcement for both sectors or just the one being prioritized. IIRC, prioritizing a sector boosts it to 115% damage and the other to 85% damage. If it boosts both, then it would be 135% and 105% (or 120%/120%) and that would be worth more to me than the AFT boosting the flak clouds by +15%.

The loss of AFT's range boost makes it useless for AA.

The "standardization" of AA ranges is part of the bloody problem with the rework. 

• Cool 1

[90THD]
[90THD]
Members
3,050 posts
2,482 battles
1 minute ago, Anonymous50 said:

I'm trying to  understand this dynamic  (I'm not a CV main so I've not been following too close)

or

Can another part of the squadron, assuming there are some left, get to make an attacking run?

the squadron fly over your section making the attack run. You return to that after you finish the run. How many passes you can do is depend on how many planes are left in the squadron, reduced by flak/fighter or having made the attack run.

[5IN]
Supertester
2,047 posts
9,662 battles

Thanks for the replies.  I guess it makes sense... to someone...  at WG...maybe.  

I am not opposed to change, but as many others have pointed out, this just isn't ready for prime time.  Especially when WG even says it isn't ready and will take a number of updates to tweak things.

It really makes me sad... I've played this game for 2.5 years and have adjusted to the many changes (good and bad) they have made.  I fear this won't go well but hope for the best.

B

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
16,904 posts
10,908 battles
18 minutes ago, Hurlbut said:

Right, if you had a base of 120% when you reinforce one sector, the skill add to that number.

But does MFCAA buff both sectors or only the one you have prioritized? If it is only the prioritized sector, that is not as useful.

17 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

The loss of AFT's range boost makes it useless for AA.

The "standardization" of AA ranges is part of the bloody problem with the rework. 

For you it makes it useless. For me, I want to see how effective the flak clouds are. For others, it will be awesome. Variety is the spice of this game and not everything will be to your liking. as the game isn't made for you but for everyone.

16 minutes ago, Hurlbut said:
18 minutes ago, Anonymous50 said:

or

the squadron fly over your section making the attack run. You return to that after you finish the run. How many passes you can do is depend on how many planes are left in the squadron, reduced by flak/fighter or having made the attack run.

Every squadron from every nation and carrier is 6-12 planes right off the deck. You can make up to 4 attack runs, with the 12 planes from T10 CVs. As planes are shot down, you can make less. Say you lose three of the back up planes on the first attack pass. You are now down to at most two more attack passes of 3 planes each as three have attacked and three planes (a full attack pass) were shot down. Lose 9 or more planes on your first attack pass and that could be your only attack pass for that squadron. Lose no planes at all and you can make four separate attack passes.

Edited by Kizarvexis
edited the number of planes per CV tier, see below

[HINON]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
2,562 posts
4,805 battles
3 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

But does MFCAA buff both sectors or only the one you have prioritized? If it is only the prioritized sector, that is not as useful.

For you it makes it useless. For me, I want to see how effective the flak clouds are. For others, it will be awesome. Variety is the spice of this game and not everything will be to your liking. as the game isn't made for you but for everyone.

Every squadron from every nation and carrier is 12 planes right off the deck. You can make up to 4 attack runs, with the 12 planes. As planes are shot down, you can make less. Say you lose three of the back up planes on the first attack pass. You are now down to at most two more attack passes of 3 planes each as three have attacked and three planes (a full attack pass) were shot down. Lose 9 or more planes on your first attack pass and that could be your only attack pass for that squadron. Lose no planes at all and you can make four separate attack passes.

oops couple of corrections...  no of planes in flight is by tier..  6 at T 4   12 at T10    T6 and 8 are in between

Second after your attack run, the a/c that dropped ordnance return to carrier anyway, you can't keep using them if they survive so yes, its diminishing returns.. 

Third..  once you take a flight off, the new aircraft for that type start to regenerate...  if you loose ALL planes on the first run, you won't have a full flight to use of that type for a while...  regen speeds vary by tier with 10 being the longest regen.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,028 posts
12,532 battles

My knee jerk reaction is that the changes nerf AA into the ground - less range, less DPS, more input into the RNG/useless looking 'flak bursts'.

That's not necessarily the case however, after all if AA values are reduced and plane HP is similarly reduced, plus as others have noted the aircraft by coming in waves spending more time in the auras then maybe... just maybe things will work out, or can be balanced (right now AA seems pretty useless).

On the other hand some of these mechanics are simply dumb -

• Having seen video of Montana vomiting 6 Catapult fighters into the air in 1.5 seconds which then each magically claim a kill before running out of ammo (but are no better vs. T8 than T10 attackers...?) just hammers my disbelief. Maybe they could launch so fast because they only have 30s of fuel, what are they Me 163's? Yeah, it's not a simulator but damn, I really don't like that.
  • The AA range nerfs... one of the best ways to seemingly have AA work is to group up and cover teammates, but slashing the range down from 7.2 to about 5km for 5in, and seemingly 8.6 to 6kim for 6in heavy AA guts its' ability to cover allies. Ships move very quickly in this game - 30kt is about 78m/s, getting in out of a 5km aura takes no time at all. A 5km aura protects an area of 78 sq km, a 7.2km aura protects double that - 162 sq km.
  • The AA sector set up is no better than ctrl+click, in fact it's slower, seemingly totally ineffective, the graphic covers the whole screen, and the whole way aircraft attack - either alternating from sides back and forth as they fly over then restrike with TB's or from bow/stern with DB's utterly invalidates its use.

Are we being encouraged to lemming train even more tightly together? It's already a miserable experience being tied on a string to potentially idiotic teammates, at least right now if I'm running in a destroyer I can fall back to only 7-8km from a friendly Mino/Worcs or AA-spec BB for some level of cover, having to drop back to <5km is just garbage. Especially as planes don't attack from range 0 with rockets or torpedoes.

• Cool 2

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
8,295 posts
5 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

AFT in the old system increased the exposure time of enemy aircraft, and started affecting them farther out, making it harder for them to drop with impunity.  It also gave good AA ships the ability to offer actual protection to more of their team.  

In the new system, it's just a little more damage, not accomplishing much.

[ARGSY]
Members
14,033 posts
9,049 battles
11 minutes ago, Anonymous50 said:

or

Depending on the tier you are playing, the squadron gets so many attack runs. e.g., at T4, you have a six-plane element of rocket fighters or dive bombers. You are able to make three separate attacks with two aircraft each.

Aircraft that have made their attacks automatically return to the carrier if they survived, and your flight is now smaller.

The whole flight is susceptible to AA fire at all times, but AFAIK the focus switches to the airplanes that make the attack. When all the aircraft have made their attacks or have been destroyed, you must press F to return to the carrier for rearming and launching a new squadron. While you are away, other aircraft of that type are being readied for flight, one at a time, which takes a certain time each.

The fewer you lost, the quicker the whole squadron of that type is ready for battle again.

By Tier 10, you have 12 airplanes in the flight with, IIRC, four attacks of three aircraft each, and the time taken to ready replacement aircraft has increased.

The supply of aircraft is infinite, but the time it takes to recharge the aircraft ready for launch is not zero; you cannot just keep spamming planes straight into the face of heavy AA fire, or eventually you will be attacking with grossly under-strength squadrons and will not achieve much. This is also why you can't loiter spotting in the face of heavy AA fire. Your planes gradually get damaged and you can see this happen - they smoke, they burn, and then they go down.

[PVE]
Members
16,904 posts
10,908 battles
1 minute ago, MaliceA4Thought said:

oops couple of corrections...  no of planes in flight is by tier..  6 at T 4   12 at T10    T6 and 8 are in between

Second after your attack run, the a/c that dropped ordnance return to carrier anyway, you can't keep using them if they survive so yes, its diminishing returns.. 

Third..  once you take a flight off, the new aircraft for that type start to regenerate...  if you loose ALL planes on the first run, you won't have a full flight to use of that type for a while...  regen speeds vary by tier with 10 being the longest regen.

Shiny, thank you.