You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

Buyer Beware... Prinz Eitel Fredrich

176 comments in this topic

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,675 posts
6,469 battles

Go ahead and grind the missions, but I wouldn't buy it.  I really consider this the worst premium BB in the game.

• Cool 15
  • Meh 5

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,701 posts

I like it.  But it’s a ship with a singular purpose.  Kill cruisers.  It’s a true battlecruiser and needs to be played as such.

It was a mistake taking it into ranked.   It’s terrible for ranked because there’s not enough of its preferred prey there.  Even worse, as a battlecruiser it will struggle in a heads up fight against a battleship.  You have to be able to do that reliably in ranked.  Not going to happen in PEF.

Overall I prefer WV ‘41 to this ship though.

• Cool 3
  • Meh 1

[WOLFA]
Members
824 posts
7,145 battles

If they addressed the shell drag and maybe a buff to the turret traverse it would be a great ship.

I've had a few epic battles in it but it has to be played correctly.

Edited by CorradoG60

[USCC]
Members
3,080 posts
14,369 battles

I managed to do the Nerves of steel campaign in 80 matches in PVE, hated literally every match.

I agree, the ship struggles to do reliable damage, but it's not the worst ship in game, I can think of an Italian boat I dislike even more. :Smile_veryhappy:

• Cool 1

[FFG33]
[FFG33]
Members
373 posts
14,498 battles

I would argue with the PEF if you buy it you are actually just buying doubloons, early access to the steel mission (less frantic grinding in a short time window) and getting a meh ship free.

Edited by custer_14
  • Cool 2

Members
6,779 posts
21,196 battles

I am turning mine into a full AA build. With the amount cv's at that tier I get more joy from shooting down planes than spray and pray and when you do hit...over pen.... 

Alpha Tester
2,552 posts

For all the hate PEF is getting, grinding to death for it really does not seem worth the effort either. I'll still try and finish the campaign just for the steel, but if I can't I won't beat myself up over it. I also gave up on Duck of Yuck because the campaign was too tedious and everyone was calling it garbage, haven't looked back since.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
21,735 posts
15,788 battles
19 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

I like it.  But it’s a ship with a singular purpose.  Kill cruisers.

The definition of glorious is what you do to Omahas and similar prey in brawling mode. And while this often requires co-op, that can be a LOT of fun.

She's not quite the brawler Scharnhorst is - the lack of torpedoes is going to hurt her in this context, and the non-turtleback armour scheme invites being citadelled - but she's not hopeless. She simply isn't designed to fight higher-tier battleships, and she's not going to be death and destruction to even-tier ones either; that's Bayern's job.

4 minutes ago, Wolcott said:

grinding to death for it really does not seem worth the effort either.

Amen. I'm very glad I won mine. My sympathies go out to anyone who's attempting that grind without econ flags or premium time, because unless you have a LOT of time up your sleeve, you probably won't be in a position to do Mighty Prinz or Nerves of Steel afterwards. WG screwed up; they should have made it more like 2 million per cash grind OR allowed people to unlock the next directive as soon as the first one was complete. This would have given more time at the end.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
Members
7,227 posts
14,042 battles

Instead of Detonation flags, load up ramming flags and use it like a Kongo. I've gotten as many as three good rams out of it in one mission. Adjust your fun. On your replay, I saw a good three good opportunities for ramming. Fun, Fun... If we break this, WG might nerf ramming.

• Cool 2

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,701 posts
8 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Instead of Detonation flags, load up ramming flags and use it like a Kongo. I've gotten as many as three good rams out of it in one mission. Adjust your fun. On your replay, I saw a good three good opportunities for ramming. Fun, Fun... If we break this, WG might nerf ramming.

That’s actually a good idea.  I have mountains of ramming flags that I never use.  Always wondered what to do with them.

Members
2,458 posts
13,701 battles

Hey

It's kind of funny how many people complain about "Pay to Win" but then find the likes of PEF, Le Terrible, Kii, Ashitaka, Indianapolis (Give this damn ship a super heal!!), and so many other premiums are so very lacking as compared to their tech tree counterparts, no wonder they get the "Meh" rating at best, some just plain garbage.

Pete

• Boring 1

0 posts

All this hate makes me like it, while if it is in effet a battlecruiser, let's play it like one. And, make good use of its excellent maniability, and fine cruiser killing guns.

I can't wait for a battlecruiser tech tree or MM, it would resolve much of the confusion.

In short, OP, as a wise but condescending player once said, "git gud". It is so tiring to hear at every premium ship release "its not as good as the tech tree ships", well, there is no reason it should be, no reason at all.

• Boring 1
  • Meh 1

Beta Testers
531 posts
3,617 battles

PEF is fine.  That's it though, just fine.  It's honestly on the top half of the T6 BB heap if you know how to use it on most maps.

The guns are basically shooting RN BB AP shells, they will never cit other BBs really but you can get juicy full pens.  You need to find cruisers or US/KM BBs to drop full pens into while protecting your hull.

Full secondary build with bonus AA makes it a very comfortable ship.  I can see it being bad in ranked, you need time in a match to let the PEF work.  Early game is fire and AA support and you transition into brawler late game.  You will need to make up your damage by chipping away constantly rather than hoping to cit things a few times like most BBs.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Members
782 posts
62 battles
29 minutes ago, Abides said:

Ashitaka is no treat either.

Are you drunk? Ashitaka got type 91 shells and is easily one of the best premium BBs tier by tier.

@NoZoupForYou - a million times yes on toast!

Glad you are speaking up where all they other CCs are hiding somewhere. Some minor inaccuracies but all the way the right conclusions. This ship is a turd. Played it in ranked sprint but changed back to Arizona to quickly Rank out. It’s like day and night. I don’ mind Dunkerque either but this thing is a joke. And a pretty bad one. 

It could easily be fixed though by improving the MA reload. 24/25/26 sec would suffice 

[PEED2]
Members
159 posts
10,046 battles

they need to definitely boost the turret turning, better sigma...heck maybe give it access to the 60% better dispersion for man secondaries instead of the pitiful 15% it suffers from, never understood that tier cutoff anyway.  This ship needs help badly.

Members
6,779 posts
21,196 battles
10 minutes ago, lron_Dog_of_Jutland said:

Are you drunk? Ashitaka got type 91 shells and is easily one of the best premium BBs tier by tier.

if you make it work good for you. but it's less than average premium WR tells a different story.

0 posts
8 minutes ago, landcollector said:

This is, and remains, a trite and meaningless line to say outside of trying to memepost.

it is for those that are not interested, (or for those truly hopeless cases), in improving their gameplay.

Abruzzi, Terrible, 2 other examples of ships, slammed by community reps on their release, but which do just fine in practice, played to their strengths, and accounting for their weaknesses.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

Members
782 posts
62 battles
7 minutes ago, Abides said:

if you make it work good for you. but it's less than average premium WR tells a different story.

Pre-buff or post-buff? She pretty much jumped from PEF-garbage level to amazing. Not sure if the statistics take that into account?

[BONKS]
Members
1,017 posts
8,744 battles

Dont know why people are complaining. Its a good ship. I cleared a full flank with the PEF and carried our team to victory. It requires a bit more effort but i guess players want citadels for every shell

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

Members
798 posts

Im in the same boat as you Zoup.  I love BBs, but I hate this one.  I feel like when i do 60k ive crossed a desert on foot, its like finally that match is over what a slog that was.  Ive managed to triple cit a nagato but thats not hard at 3km, its dispersion is great but the shell drag BLOWS its so unlike all the other german ships in shells, they are slow and they shatter much easier.   The original tested version that was faster and more stealthy looked fun, what we got though is nerfed hard from that.

I rather be in any other T6 BB then the PEF and only reason im still playing her is as you said the PEF nerves of steel.  8k base exp felt like climbing a mountain.  Her secondaries are good for T6 but lack range to really make them a selling point, her AA is good but with the upcoming AA over haul they will go from good to garbage over night when our AA ceases to overlap.  I just feel i can go out in any other T6 BB and do 60k dmg OR more so much easier that its not even funny, her speed is made moot in that a slight turn she drops 8knots or more and the engine power curve is terrible feels to long to reach top power.

I know some other people like her, I just dont click with her like all the other german ships i have.  Like you i rather play the graf spee, PEF uptiers like garbage.  One of the few premiums i flat out regret getting in its current shape.  I can do well in her but it feels like a significant struggle to do so compared to any other t6 bb.

• Cool 1