You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Slipzstream

Noob question

21 comments in this topic

Members
5 posts
21 battles

So a friend of mine accidentally got me to try this game  (by telling me to stay away from it). I did a couple of the co-op missions, but I've always been more of a PvP gamer so I've been trying random. Think I'm 1-6 so far. I've figured out the colon guys are bots, and the others are players. The skill gap with some players compared to me seems absurd. They're the same tier as I am (just got my first tier 3) and I'm not dumb enough to think we're all equal but damn. Is there a training mode or something I'm missing? If I'm getting schooled this bad at tier 3, I'm dreading tier 4.

• Cool 2

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,009 posts
4,625 battles
2 minutes ago, Slipzstream said:

So a friend of mine accidentally got me to try this game  (by telling me to stay away from it). I did a couple of the co-op missions, but I've always been more of a PvP gamer so I've been trying random. Think I'm 1-6 so far. I've figured out the colon guys are bots, and the others are players. The skill gap with some players compared to me seems absurd. They're the same tier as I am (just got my first tier 3) and I'm not dumb enough to think we're all equal but damn. Is there a training mode or something I'm missing? If I'm getting schooled this bad at tier 3, I'm dreading tier 4.

Stick in tier 2-3 for a bit longer. Even if you get the ability to unlock the tier 4 ship stick with it in tier 3. Try other ship classes out and get a feel for all the different mechanics. 

What line did you start with?

Members
5 posts
21 battles
8 minutes ago, Cobraclutch said:

What line did you start with?

I read these forums a bit before playing so I decided to go Japanese destroyers and maybe US Cruisers. Been mostly using the destroyer in random though

Members
1,529 posts
11,560 battles

Don't start the game by playing destroyers : )

If you started out with destroyers or carriers, the learning curve is quite steep. Start with german battleships to get used to the gunnery and controls. They take damage pretty well, and if you make a mistake, then you won't be punished as harshly as some other classes. From there, branch into cruisers, japanese or german or possibly american. Other than that, watch some of ichase's tutorial videos on youtube.

Edited by _Rumple_

[_SMS_]
Members
936 posts
4,341 battles

In the beginning i played my first 50 - 75 games in CoOp just to get a feel for the basics and overall i've played about 500 games at Tier 5 or below in random while learning and working through the tech trees of the various nations and ship types.  Total i've played just a bit over 3,000 games of all tiers and i'm not ashamed to say i still get schooled every now and then.  Don't rush.  Learn from your mistakes.  If you learn how you die and how you can kill others you will learn the strengths and weakness of the ships and the techniques.  If you want to get semi-serious you can watch the official WoWS video series "How it Works" and also video tutorials and play throughs from community contributors like Notser and Flambass as well as others.  At tier 3,4,5 there are players that make a career out of using there overpowered captains and ships just to bully newer players.  They are know in the community as "seal clubbers".  These are just a fact of life and should not be taken so much as your weakness as much as their need to dominate because they can't cut it at higher tiers.  Also, it would be good if you can division with some players and team up and learn the ropes if you come across some friendly like minded indivduals to run some random matches with.  

The good news is that we are all going to be re-learning the game with the new CV release and major changes coming so you'll be right along with everyone else adjusting to the future of the new gameplay.  Hang in there.  

Edited by T_O_dubl_D

[WOLFC]
Members
691 posts
26,108 battles
9 minutes ago, Cobraclutch said:

Stick in tier 2-3 for a bit longer. Even if you get the ability to unlock the tier 4 ship stick with it in tier 3. Try other ship classes out and get a feel for all the different mechanics. 

This is excellent advice. Just because the game lets you move up to the next tier doesn't mean you have to. Get comfortable at the lower tiers. Get familiar with the ships, their strengths and weaknesses. Try out the different classes of ship to find the ones you like to play.

And keep in mind that you will run into players who have thousands of matches under their belts. You will get your butt handed to you. But you're just starting out. You will get better.

Members
1,059 posts
6,189 battles

First off, welcome to wows. :cap_like:

There are tons of resources out there:

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

https://youtu.be/xaZeeKB4RAs (naval academy vids)

IJN dds have great torps and solid stealth but if they get in a close quarters (knife fight) with most other nations they'll croak pretty quick.

German bbs are a great place to start because of how incredibly forgiving they are of mistakes.

A few searches on YouTube will tell you all the ins and outs of angling, citadels, fires, positioning,  spotting... all the good stuff. 

Wows is definitely an easy to play difficult to master game. And dont feel like you have to buy premium ships... they're almost always the equal or even inferior of their tech tree counterparts.

Members
5 posts
21 battles
3 minutes ago, T_O_dubl_D said:

At tier 3,4,5 there are players that make a career out of using there overpowered captains and ships just to bully newer players.  They are know in the community as "seal clubbers".

So.....this game discourages new players? What sort of game lets veterans run rampant over new players? What's the point of spending 50-75 games in co-op if I'm just going to be a seal when I jump into random? I'm starting to see why my friend told me not to bother.

[_SMS_]
Members
936 posts
4,341 battles
1 minute ago, Slipzstream said:

So.....this game discourages new players? What sort of game lets veterans run rampant over new players? What's the point of spending 50-75 games in co-op if I'm just going to be a seal when I jump into random? I'm starting to see why my friend told me not to bother.

I wouldn't say it's rampant - just wanted you to be aware that there are a few bad apples out there.  If you run into these players you should know that the deck is stacked against you and take it with a grain of salt and not let it trouble you or your ability.   These seal clubbers are a very small percentage of the population but it helps to be aware so it won't make you hopeless when you feel like you've got a umbrella against a hurricane.

Members
1,529 posts
11,560 battles

All he is saying is that seal clubbers exist, just be aware. They can be found in nearly every online game out there, some worse than others.

Members
1,059 posts
6,189 battles
3 minutes ago, Slipzstream said:

T7 is the happy spot. Great ships that uptier well. The way t8+ matches pan out these days is a bit meh for some of us so t8-10 isn't always appealing. But even a veteran with a 19pt captain slumming it in the lower tiers for kicks isn't even remotely "all powerful"... it's a very rock paper scissors setup. Destroyers wreck battleships, battleships > cruisers, cruisers > destroyers... and until the carrier rework goes live, carriers > everyone. Guess that makes them spock?

If you're anything like me you started this game thinking it would be a meh version of playing with toy boats (or fascimiles) in the tub as a kid... only to stay because you remember how much fun that could actually be. Plus: better explosions sans m80s.... 

[RAGE]
Members
1,950 posts
8,199 battles

This game does a shat job at tutorials, or any kind of introduction to the mechanics. 

The absolute first thing to learn is how the aiming mechanics work.  Here's the cliff notes version, and a video attached that goes into more depth.

1) First, go into your setting and change your crosshair to "dynamic".   Don't worry about the differences as a beginner. The dynamic crosshair is simply better in every way. 

2) When you're in a game and hit Shift to zoom in, you'll see a  line with numbers on it, as well as shell travel time number on the bottom-left of your aiming reticule. 

3) If the shell travel time says "9 seconds", put the 9th tickmark on the numbered line in the middle of the ship you're aiming at

4) Note:  This assumes the ship is travelling at 30 knots.  Smoke from the smoketakes indicates if the ships is travelling at full speed.  It will take time and practice to gauge speeds.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,809 posts
1,478 battles

Don’t need to worry about it, those players you met at tier 4 are probably just veterans getting their +100% grind to convert to free xp or just credit grinding. In fact a fraction of the player base just stays in Co-op and gave up random battles. 

[FML]
Members
4,091 posts
15,965 battles
59 minutes ago, Slipzstream said:

Welcome to WoWS :) 

I've pasted some guidance below, but you're welcome to message me in-game and I'll division up with you and provide some tips if you'd like!

Best,

Conceptually, the ship types - in a very general sense, with exceptions - fall into the following roles:

• Destroyers (DDs): Stealthy ninjas - they use their speed and concealment to set up ambush attacks on enemy capital ships with their torpedos, and they use their fast firing but low damage guns against other destroyers. 
    • Note: some DDs are better at killing enemy dds (like American DDs), and others are better at killing enemy capital ships with torpedos (like Japanese DDs) - this national flavour is common to this game, and you'll have to learn this as you go. 
  • Cruisers (CA/CLs): High damage-per-minute and accurate guns, but very squishy (ie, easy to kill) ships - their fast firing and moderate damage guns wreck destroyers and can put serious hurt into battleships if they are left unmolested... they are extremely vulnerable to enemy battleship guns in particular as they have no effective armour - instead, they must use hard cover (like islands) and smoke screens (including those deployed by friendly destroyers) to stay alive long enough to bring their firepower onto the enemy - caught out in the open, they do a lot of dying. 
    • Cruisers are possibly the hardest conventional class to do well in. 
    • CA = Heavy Cruiser (ie, armed wuth 8 inch guns or higher), and CLs = Light Cruiser (ie, armed with 6 inch guns or smaller). 
  • Battleships (BBs): High Alpha, usually low-ish damage per minute ships that can strike from  relatively long range - they are less accurate than cruisers, but by late tiers you dont really feel the difference. They have high hitpoints, and strong armour, but that does not make you immune to damage - torpedos, fires and battleship guns can all bring you down.  As you tend to be slow and not agile, make sure you are always near teammates in cruisers and destroyers who can help you screen faster/lighter enemies away from you.  
  • Aircraft carriers (CVs): A completely different style of play, more like an RTS like Command&Conquer than the FPS of the other styles.  Dominance of the air means that you can spot enemy ships, use dive bombers or torpedo bombers to attack enemy ships, and use your fighters to protect friendly ships from enemy carrier attacks.  
    • Carriers have a massively disproportionate impact on your team's chances of winning - do badly, and you'll keep losing.

Once you have a few more battles under your belt, I strongly encourage you to read the following: 

For new players, I recommend the following as easy to learn and to play: 

• Destroyers: American destroyers are the easiest to play - their fast firing guns, and torpedoes on both sides (at low tier) means that its a fast, fun run-and-gun style, with great smoke screens.  They are very forgiving - rush in, gun enemy destroyers, and if you win and live, then rush up to a battleship and shove him up with torps... once you get more experience, you can do all of those things better, faster, longer etc. 
  • Cruisers: French cruisers are probably the easiest to play at low-mid tiers. Load HE, shoot slow targets at near your max range to set them on fire - when they repair those fires, set more.  Dodge incoming shells (particularly from battleships) by slamming into full reverse and throwing the rudder over into a hard turn - then accelerate away again before the next salvo comes.  Use your long-range torpedos to shoot down narrow alleys where the enemy is coming from - sometimes you'll get a hit, and it'll be great. More fires!
    • DO NOT start on the British Cruiser line - these ships take detailed understanding and experience of the game mechanics in order to play; things like target selection, map positioning, map awareness, spotting mechanics, AP bounce and shatter mechanics, smoke screens, fire detection range in smoke, sonar and torpedo aim all to be functional. Experienced players even struggle with this line.  Steer clear.  
  • Battleships: 
    • British: These are sturdy battleships that have excellent HE direct damage and high fire chance - unlike most battleships, shooting HE at things will make them go boom. Because of that, and because they have decent armour protection generally, these battleships are easy to learn: aim well, and profit. 
    • German: Much stronger armour, but wonky/inaccurate main guns - you'll mostly be shooting AP shells at enemy battleships and cruisers.  However, your battleships have good to excellent secondary battery (particularly from Tier 7) and are a defining feature of the line.  Because they are meant to be played up close to the enemy, these ships are easier to aim, take solid damage, and encourage your team to push the capture point you're currently on, helping to win games. 
  • Aircraft carriers: Personally, I suggest avoiding them entirely for now - they are very different to play and hard to do well at (and carriers have a massively disproportionate impact on your team's chances of winning - do badly, and you'll keep losing).  Whilst the first American Carrier, Langley, is the best at Tier 4, the Japanese (IJN) tech tree carriers from Tier 5 and up are superior to massively superior to their American carriers (for no historical reason).
  • Cool 1

[LWA]
Members
1,186 posts

There are a lot of player harvesting snowflakes from their lower tier premium ships, and they are good players.

[TDRB]
Members
5,151 posts
13,741 battles
5 hours ago, Slipzstream said:

Commander points make a difference, even for lower tiered ships. Some pad their stats by "seal clubbing". Placing a commander with 10 or more points on a T3 or T4 ships up against new players is one way to pad stats. It frustrates new players as well. Grinding commander points is much slower than XP & credits.

Coops do give you a chance to learn your ship and gunnery before venturing into randoms.

[PVE]
Members
20,018 posts
12,704 battles
6 hours ago, Slipzstream said:

Welcome to the game. You have 21 battles so far, so it will get better.

You are account level 6 and are in protected MatchMaking (MM). You have about 34 battles still in protected MM where, unless the queue is empty, you will not see the seal clubbers.

139f23be-0201-11e9-979c-d89d6715223c_120

In any case, stay at low tier Random or Co-op to get down the basics of angling, leading targets, watching the minimap and drive/shoot, etc. Lots of good advice above. You can practice things in co-op, just remember that the bots will not necessarily punish a mistake right away and players generally do. You can be WAY more aggressive vs bots than people. As long as you can adjust your playstyle, you can do both. If you have specific questions, certainly ask as almost everyone here is helpful.

I would suggest concentrating on cruiser and maybe battleship at first and branch out into DDs later. DDs have a steeper learning curve than cruisers or BBs.

GL&FS <O

[PEED2]
Members
159 posts
10,046 battles

Before you go further, I would recommend Going to YouTube and watching iChases Captains Academy video series. He starts with the basics and goes as deep as you want to into each ship class. The problem with world of warships is that there is so much information you need and learning it through trial and error hurts a lot. Learn the tips and tricks from the pros on YouTube. It will be time we’ll spent and make you wayyyy better in game. Good luck.

• Cool 1

Members
1,059 posts
6,189 battles
4 minutes ago, IAMMUDBONE said:

Before you go further, I would recommend Going to YouTube and watching iChases Captains Academy video series. He starts with the basics and goes as deep as you want to into each ship class. The problem with world of warships is that there is so much information you need and learning it through trial and error hurts a lot. Learn the tips and tricks from the pros on YouTube. It will be time we’ll spent and make you wayyyy better in game. Good luck.

THATS the academy I was looking for earlier. iChase. Disregard my previous link. Use iChase.