You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
J0nk

too many overpens?

83 comments in this topic

[BONKS]
Members
1,017 posts
8,737 battles

I dont usually play BBs because I am more of a DD and cruiser player.

However, I am playing the PEF and trying to get the missions done. Its a long grind and I am at the last stage of earning 3 mil credits. While playing it I noticed that I am literally getting all overpens. I get a citadel only once every 4-5 shots ( in co-op where the bots charge you and I am broadisde to cruisers and BBs smashing them at point blank range to 5-6 km even more than that and all I get is overpens. though for some reason the last shot where I kill the bot is always a citadel.... uhh ok i guess?) I played the Bayern too and I noticed a lot of overpens..... is it just me or did other BB players notice that too? and ofcourse the pens without damage is there just to troll us. 

maybe WG screwed the mechanics when it changed the mechanics of overpens to DD's only and even they dont know it or they just wont admit it. maybe of applying it to class types, they couldve went for armor scheme and all those over pens.

meh I wont play BBs anytime soon and my aim is atleast good enough that I know I am hitting the center of the ship. if the center of the ship is getting overpens... then ok i guess?

Edited by lungiwear
  • Cool 4
  • Meh 1

[USCC]
Members
3,075 posts
14,337 battles

Yeah, I had the same issues, so has many others, there is something broken with this ship, one salvo will look bang on, and you get 1080 damage, another same broadside shot, you get a cit or two.

Literally every salvo is a roll of the dice, hell some don't even hit, the dispersion is generally pretty good, but every now and then it's like WTH lol How could I have missed?

I played 80 games to complete the Nerves of Steel campaign, I can honestly say it I hated just about every match in that damn ship. :Smile_veryhappy:

Edited by SpudZero
  • Cool 1

Members
4,478 posts
19,839 battles

It aint just with PEF. I've noticed that I get a lot more overpens lately with Cruisers and BBs from hits on Cruisers and BBs. Makes me wonder why I bother to load AP.

• Cool 3

[USCC]
Members
3,075 posts
14,337 battles
3 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

It aint just with PEF. I've noticed that I get a lot more overpens lately with Cruisers and BBs from hits on Cruisers and BBs. Makes me wonder why I bother to load AP.

I actually stopped with the AP for a few matches and only used HE, .... I went back to AP, as even with the wonky crap going on, I still got more average damage done with the AP.

[BTD]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,253 posts
5,848 battles
6 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

CA main will disagree with you and just say get good. 

But anyone that has played BBs knows there is something wrong with BB AP as there is way more overpens than pens nowdays. Didn't use to be this way. 

Members
864 posts
15 minutes ago, mustangman6579 said:

CA main will disagree with you and just say get good. 

But anyone that has played BBs knows there is something wrong with BB AP as there is way more overpens than pens nowdays. Didn't use to be this way. 

It hasn't been right since the nerf to BB AP vs DD's , they should've eliminated the double dipping and left it alone after that .

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[BONKS]
Members
1,017 posts
8,737 battles

yup. I havent noticed overpens on cruisers. I play the DM and mainly use AP on it. getting all the citadels of red ships in the DM but as soon as I get a BB and shoot AP its overpen city

WG, you screwed up the mechanics, own up to it and fix it

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
961 posts
10,139 battles

Was farming Narai the other night and was pumping salvo after salvo into the side of the CV with Fiji with penetration ribbon after penetration ribbon showing up and no damage being done. Died to a ******* Phoenix... 

• Cool 1

[LEGIO]
Members
3,470 posts
8,179 battles
3 hours ago, retic1959 said:

It hasn't been right since the nerf to BB AP vs DD's , they should've eliminated the double dipping and left it alone after that .

Apparently that wasn't acceptable to most DD players who expect a 16" shell passing through their ship to never detonate regardless of impact angle.

[-N-]
Members
2,227 posts
14,831 battles

Agree with everyone, a lot more over pens are happening since the AP nerf to help DDs last longer.

• Cool 2

Members
220 posts
6,578 battles

Lot over over pens happening but ive always been in the mind of damage is damage - better an overpen than a miss

But that being said the PEF yesterday I did get a round with 6 Cits from destroying 4 CL's  - After some the games ive had in it its made me think about how usefull this ship is

That being said, against other BB's all I ever seem to see is shell's bouncing off things - And its worse when up tiered ((not only this ship with that) Find the worst uptier is say 7-9 match)

Edited by Feclez

[HINON]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
2,562 posts
4,805 battles
3 minutes ago, Feclez said:

Lot over over pens happening but ive always been in the mind of damage is damage - better an overpen than a miss

But that being said the PEF yesterday I did get a round with 6 Cits from destroying 4 CL's  - After some the games ive had in it its made me think about how usefull this ship is

That being said, against other BB's all I ever seem to see is shell's bouncing off things - And its worse when up tiered (not only this ship with that)

It's rather hilarious to see the AP bombs on the new carriers on PT being dropped vertically onto ships decks and bouncing as well because theyare treated as shells with the new op bounce routines :)  Can we talk unintended consequences here?

Members
220 posts
6,578 battles
22 minutes ago, MaliceA4Thought said:

It's rather hilarious to see the AP bombs on the new carriers on PT being dropped vertically onto ships decks and bouncing as well because theyare treated as shells with the new op bounce routines :)  Can we talk unintended consequences here?

Yeah and once again I bet it is worse when your a T6 or 7 dropping on a 8/9

Ive had it on the HOOD from less then 10-12K full broadside on a T9 and had 6 of 8 shell BOUNCE off - Be easier to just ram ships when uptiered like this, certainly get more damage done to things

[CNO]
Members
6,083 posts
18,564 battles
11 hours ago, lungiwear said:

I get a citadel only once every 4-5 shots ( in co-op where the bots charge you and I am broadisde to cruisers and BBs smashing them at point blank range to 5-6 km even more than that and all I get is overpens.

As a BB main, that sounds about right.

As for all those videos that show cit after cit....remember, we all like to show the games where we rock the boat.  Not the games where we potato...or even do average.  So the videos will be skewed toward more cits, and not reflect the norm.

Edited by Soshi_Sone
  • Cool 1

[XBRTC]
Members
3,154 posts
10,065 battles
11 hours ago, SpudZero said:

I played 80 games to complete the Nerves of Steel campaign,

Jesus, seriously? HOW? 

This is the entire list of battles I've played in it, and this represents completing Nerves of Steel, Steel Monsters, and all but the one task + the final task of mission 5 on Mighty Prinz. 36 battles total, including 21 random, 10 ranked, 4 co-op and 1 scenario.

image.thumb.png.08fe408a6fc87d906c95f5914fe5a804.png

[H_]
Members
749 posts
12,111 battles
11 hours ago, ReddNekk said:

I would agree with this..  although the other night on my Tirpitz I had 20 main gun hits and 12 of them were overpens on cruisers or BB's on a DD i expect that to be the case with AP loaded.  Not on a cruiser or BB though.

I see why some folks just use HE not matter what.. although it's kind of sad to see it on BB's..

Members
809 posts

I've also noticed that the percentage of overpen hits has skyrocketed. I'm not aiming any differently than before, but now there are times when it's 40% overpen. I am definitely in the camp that believes that WG may have made a mistake while making adjustments to what AP shells do to DDs.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
2,562 posts
4,805 battles
1 minute ago, guns_at_last_light said:

I've also noticed that the percentage of overpen hits has skyrocketed. I'm not aiming any differently than before, but now there are times when it's 40% overpen. I am definitely in the camp that believes that WG may have made a mistake while making adjustments to what AP shells do to DDs.

Agree..  in fact this has driven me towards using more and more HE because whilst less potential damage, it's more reliable damage.

[AAYC]
Beta Testers
791 posts
12,722 battles

Hmm,

Guess this maybe a thing.  Been real frustrated of late, using BBs and getting a disproportional amount of overpens.  I just thought it was me and I was overthinking it or it was an act of shell wonkyiness .  This is against other BBs and CAs.

Members
84 posts
2,760 battles

IT's good to know that I'm not the only one noticing this although it's not just BB's that are affected. Even my Leander is getting over pens on DD's and CL's.

Members
809 posts

What would be great is for WG to come out and say "hey, we know that you believe that overpens are happening more frequently now, but we can confirm that we looked at the code and are positive that nothing changed." Unfortunately, that will never, ever happen.

[BTD]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,253 posts
5,848 battles
On 12/30/2018 at 10:18 PM, lungiwear said:

yup. I havent noticed overpens on cruisers. I play the DM and mainly use AP on it. getting all the citadels of red ships in the DM but as soon as I get a BB and shoot AP its overpen city

WG, you screwed up the mechanics, own up to it and fix it

Exactly. I have the Kron, and get like 10 Cits a match. 
I play a BB, and get 1-2 if I'm lucky. 

Lately I have been seeing around 57% overpen rate on my BBs. That jumped up from the old of 30% before. 

• Cool 1