You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CylonRed

Perth any good?

19 comments in this topic

Members
5,033 posts
8,547 battles

Got a Santa crate from the PEF directive and got the Perth.  Really know nothing about the ship as I just got it a minute ago... :)

[CMFRT]
Members
10,452 posts

Ignore the "meta uber alles" noise.

The Perth is a fun ship. (Also got one in a crate a yesterday.)

It has "in motion" smoke, hydro and a spotter plane, which lets it smoke up on a slow move (harder to for enemy to blind torp or shoot) and still see somewhat without other players spotting for it.

[HSD]
Members
512 posts
11,005 battles

Perth is a fun ship, it is not say Belfast or Kutuzov, but it definitely has it's own appeal.

It's quirks may take some getting used to for maximum fun. Key thing is you need to stay at 1/4 to not outcreep your own smoke, but when kiting away if you can interpose the smoke correctly you can go at full speed but there is definitely more risk. The double plane skill on Perth is a good skill for both redundancy in keeping a plane for the range increase and extra self spotting. Personally though I try to alternate. Use the smoke without spotter planes relying on team vision and when I have to scurry away and wait out the smoke CD I then use the spotters for the range boost to give me some wiggle distance and more comfortable island firing. As a Commonwealth ship you may not have a captain already trained up for her but when you hit 14pts she will again pop because you can take both CE and IFHE.

As others have stated equipping special mods onto her makes her pop even more, the Smoke mod and Spotter plane mod are the two big ones, if you have any of those lying around put them on her. If not consider buying from the arsenal, I would IMO go for the smoke mod first.

Members
3,937 posts
4,211 battles

It's a good ship, mate. She has some interesting tricks in her play book. For example I remember someone mentioning that if you need to get out of a situation, pop smoke and move backwards behind it. You'll outrun it, but so long as no one can spot you it should be good times. IFHE is nice on her too. 

[SYN]
Members
8,133 posts
12,777 battles

Perth is solid and a lot of fun, she has a lot of tricks, handles like a dream, has good concealment and the smoke can be exploited pretty nastily.

She was the best thing I bought with doubloons or got from crates last Christmas.

[FML]
Members
3,165 posts
13,519 battles
38 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

Got a Santa crate from the PEF directive and got the Perth.  Really know nothing about the ship as I just got it a minute ago... :)

Its a solid ship, and I've seen others do very well in her.  But, despite thousands of battles in UK CLs, including over 600 battles in a Leander, I still cannot make Perth work for me - I'm just not good enough :). 

I wish you the best of luck though!

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,690 posts
5,207 battles

You need to invest the time and effort to learn her particular niche.

Once learnt, she's fun. The learning curve, however, is not...

Sink your coal into the smoke mod. Get her concealment down. Boost the spotter aircraft ... and you essentially get a T6 Belfast (the aircraft are your eyes as you crawl along in smoke, protected from torps by your hydro)

[TBW]
Members
8,633 posts
15,512 battles

It's biggest fault, is that it is a stand alone ship. Elite commander XP is great for getting the Captain the points he needs.

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,690 posts
5,207 battles
20 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

It's biggest fault, is that it is a stand alone ship. Elite commander XP is great for getting the Captain the points he needs.

Now has Vampire and Haida in "Team Commonwealth'...

[WOLFC]
Members
2,127 posts
12,083 battles
26 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

It would be great if I could use it as a trainer for my RN cruiser captains ... 

Members
4,156 posts
15,647 battles

Grats! Perth is a excellent bote. Once you get the hang of playing her, she'll do ya proud. Even with IFHE (IMHO, a must have on any CL) she's a good fire starter. She's my favorite tier 6 CL.

As @HMS_Formidable aptly put it, Perth's a tier 6 Belfast.

[WOLF3]
Members
22,454 posts
20,530 battles

Her damage output is okay but she really shines in three phases.

1.  When her Creeping Smoke is available.

2.  When the DDs are dead, she has the concealment to fill in as a "Pseudo Destroyer" and scout carefully, even Stealth Cap if need be.  This is how you get fat XPs with Stealth Capping Perths late in the game.

3.  She has the concealment and smoke to let her follow a bit behind friendly Destroyers and help them out with her nice 152mm guns.  This is another source for fat rewards as you help get damage / kills against enemy DDs.  This may help your WR% with the ship because you directly affect the DD Minigame, which often dictates who wins, who loses.

The most dangerous part of her gameplay is when she has to fight and her Smoke Generator is on CD.  Her Main Battery range is a mere 12.81km.  For a BB, that's easy to whack someone at that distance.  Perth can encounter Battleships whose Secondaries range almost match her Main Battery range.  With such short Main Battery Ranges and being so squishy that 160 second cooldown on her Smoke Generator II will feel like forever.

Leander, Perth, Huanghe are all very dependent on their consumables among Tier VI Cruisers.

If you do get her, make sure you slot the Spotting Aircraft.  This can let you temporarily engage at safer gun ranges while your Smoke Generator is on cooldown.

You have to manage your concealment, engagement ranges carefully.

I also highly recommend getting Smoke Generator Mod 1 from the Arsenal if you don't have it already for use on Perth.  This extends the duration of how long your smoke generator pumps out smoke.

Jack of All Trades and the signal flag to reduce consumable CD is a great thing to implement into her builds.  Superintendent is vital so she has more smoke, more spotter planes.  Again, Perth is highly consumables driven.

Perth is unlike most other Cruisers in the game.  It'll take some time to get a feel of how she works.  Due to her super reliance on consumables, there is a certain rhythm to how you fight.  Anytime you try to fight without the safety of Creeping Smoke or the extra range buffer from Spotting Aircraft, you greatly endanger yourself to instant deletions.  The threats you face from Tier VI alone can easily 1-2 shot you.  The Tier VII-VIII threats are even more dangerous.  Even the CAs will easily perforate you.  You live on your concealment and consumables, as well as discipline to stick to her particular fighting style.  The moment you try to act like Budyonny, La Gal, Dallas, that's when you die.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[187]
Members
1,625 posts
9,552 battles

All great advice thank you all...I got the ship in a crate recently and was tripping out on the smoke puffs following me like my engine was on fire lol...great tips I will use them on this ship.

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,441 posts
4,898 battles

Haven't played it, but it looks very unique.   I probably would have already bought it but I kind of hate the thought of training a captain that I can't use for anything else?   Still been tempted by the sale pricing.   

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
1,151 posts
4,464 battles

Is Goodbote. If you know how to open water in Brit CL's then you will do alright during cooldown on the smoke gen. Even has spotting planes so you don't need people to spot for you. Just make sure you pick up IFHE...

Torps are nice for when BB's or DD's try to yolo you.

Members
5,033 posts
8,547 battles

Played one game last night and........  it is challenging to say the least, especially coming from playing a lot of French cruisers.  Going to take some practice - thanks for all of the advice.

[WOLF3]
Members
22,454 posts
20,530 battles

Forgot to mention how team-dependent the ship is, as with a lot of smoke camping ships.  Naturally when you're in your smoke you can't spot anything.  You can probably throw up your Spotting Aircraft to detect people as they have their gunfights, but having Smoke + Spotting Aircraft active at the same time is putting all your eggs in one basket.  When those two consumables go into CD now you're really f--ked.  You're stuck with no portable cover and no way to extend that awful 12.81km gun range.  This is far worse than say, a Kutuzov gunfighting with her Smoke on CD.  Kutuzov still has 19.1km gun range and she can use that at good distances and still be relevant.  But Perth with 12.81km gun range is suicide range.

Smoke Gen II CD 160 seconds

Spotting Aircraft II CD 240 seconds

Sail with teammates in the area so that they spot for you.  If you like having 1-on-1 fights, Perth is one of the worst choices to take.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway