You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Mouse & Lert's Most Memorable Premiums of 2018

74 comments in this topic

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,277 posts
10,382 battles

5fOGs8d.jpg

Happy New Year!

Make-Sub_Octavian-feel-love.png
The last dregs of 2018 are dripping away, so it's time to look back on the last 365 days and get all mushy about it.  In my case, this largely involves reflecting on all of the ships Wargaming released over the last twelve months that tried to bait out your wallets, your time and/or your sanity.

A total of thirty new premium and reward ships were released in 2018, including four clones.  Of these, twenty-six were sold and eleven were "free" ships.  There's a bit of overlap there. Given the gating of alternative currencies used, it was all but impossible for a player to acquire all of the free ships without forking out money.  Of these eleven freebies, six were high-tier reward ships including no less than two vessels that can only be purchased with Steel.

2018 wasn't anywhere near as dramatic as 2017 when it came to ship releases and shifts in the meta.  Given the upcoming aircraft carrier rework slated to drop in the early months of 2019, this past year looks like a quiet lull sandwiched in between two poop-tornadoes.  Leaving fecal-forecasting aside, I've asked Lert to once again join me in looking over the premium and reward ships released in 2018 and going over which ones we thought were the most memorable.

Refrigerator-3.png
This year has gone without great controversy, as far as premium ships are concerned. No Alabama, no Graf Zeppelin. One might argue that West Virginia was a controversy when they announced the 1941 version instead of the more coveted 1944 one, but all in all the outrage about WeeVee was a drop in the bucket compared to the aforementioned tier VIII premiums of years of yore. Maybe we as a community grew up a little and learned how to present our opinion without rage, maybe WG listened more and capitulated earlier, I don't know - but the end result is overall less controversy, and I can only consider that a good thing.

As for the premium ships themselves, maybe I'm getting older and more jaded, but I think this was one of the lesser years in World of Warships history as far as interesting premium ships are concerned. Sure there were some gems and some stinkers, but overall I'd say 2017 was a better year than 2018 was and 2016 a better year than 2017 was. But even a mediocre year for premiums still leaves me with enough to talk about. So without further ado ...

Title-1024x502.png
These are all of the new premium and reward ships released in 2018 arranged by order of their release.  Starting at the top left: Musashi, Roma, Aigle, Gascogne, Varyag, Asashio, Duca degli Abruzzi, Z-39, Kronshtadt, Salem, Monaghan, Haida, Massachusetts, Nueve de Julio, Boise, T-61, Stalingrad, Cossack, Le Terrible, Jean Bart, Charleston, Vanguard, Dreadnought, Bourgogne, Atago B, Asashio B, Massachuetts B, Tirpitz B, West Virginia 1941, Prinz Eitel Friedrich.

The Biggest Disappointment

ma9bhSy.jpgQSSX7Sf.gif

Refrigerator-3.png
Varyag is an underpowered and totally superfluous premium ship. Remarkable for being completely unremarkable. Did we really need another low tier Russian protected cruiser? Nothing interesting in the way of game play, she only stands out for being absolutely drop dead gorgeous. Varyag gets the waste of effort award for the 3D modeling and texturing team churning out an absolute masterpiece that the balancing team couldn't make worth actually taking out into battle.

Varyag is not even interesting enough for a second paragraph. Moving on ...

Varyag wasn't even on my radar, which I guess supports Lert's argument that she's utterly forgettable.  There were a few candidates here, including Vanguard, Salem and WV41.  However,  in my mind, the biggest disappointment was also the ship I found to be the most frustrating.

Duca degli Abruzzi is the Krasny Krym of 2018.  This undergunned, overtiered abomination is only held together grace of her Repair Party.  However, the near-exclusivity of that consumable at tier VII immediately lost its shine when Boise and Nueve de Julio showed up.  I have no doubt it will continue to erode in the future.  The poor manner in which she was balanced fills me with dread.  Rather than address the core issues with the ship Wargaming resorted to diving into their box of gimmicks.  I am not optimistic about the balance and play style upcoming Regia Marina cruisers.

There is no doubt a health counter-culture movement that loves Abruzzi but she's no darling of mine.

That Time Wargaming Made Me Uncomfortable

shot-18.10.06_17.48.35-0088-1024x576.jpg

Refrigerator-3.png
Jean Bart is a battleship with main battery reload booster, but that's not why I'm discussing her here. She's an uptiered tier VIII with some tweaks, buffed AA and a reload booster. That's it. She manages to be very flexible and reward good aim, a worthy addition to the game in and of itself. But that's not the reason she's on this list. She's here because WarGaming broke their long standing rule of not directly selling anything higher than tier VIII for money. Of course, Jean Bart cost a veritable aft load of money, but there she was, a tier IX, being sold directly in the premium store.

What does this mean? Well, it opens the gates for further tier IX premium ships for direct sale. Here's hoping for Friesland. Ah, who am I kidding - we'll see pigs fly before Friesland makes it into the game. Jean Bart, she's fun, she's novel, she's flexible and she's the first tier IX sold for direct money.

I echo Lert's concerns here regarding Jean Bart.  She had a troubled development cycle, showing up originally as a tier VIII premium and then getting bumped up to a IX when she proved to be too powerful.  I dunno why they chose to sell her directly.  Maybe the penny-pinchers at Wargaming had already forecast that Jean Bart was supposed to recoup X amount of money and they needed to make up the difference.  Maybe they were simply testing to see what they could get away with.  In either case, it left a bad (and memorable) taste in my mouth, so she deserves to be on the list.

The False-Alarm

ey77W2R.gif

XD2.png

Ooh, I'ma go first on this one!  Remember that time when they said that Asashio was going to reduce the number of battleships in the queue, all by herself?  Remember when they said that no battleship was ever going to push anymore?  Remember when someone predicted some other unrealistic hyperbole and blamed Asashio for it?  I remember.  I remember it fondly.

Look, Asashio is a terrible design good for one thing and one thing only: trolling.  Ostensibly Asashio was implemented to test the viability of giving the Japanese destroyers access to deep water torpedoes as an alternative armament.  I wonder what their data is showing regarding this experiment?

Refrigerator-3.png

Yeah, can't really make a most memorable premiums list without discussing Asashio. The destroyer nobody was asking for, with a gimmick nobody needed. Many people - including me - feared that Asahio's long range, deep water torpedoes that can't hit cruisers would lead to bad play. While my fears were not completely realized, the fact remains that Asashio is criminally misplayed, in general.

Too many people stay at too long range, just lobbing torpedoes at the general vicinity of the red team, forgetting that they are a small, stealthy, fast destroyer. Too many people don't provide enough vision, don't contest caps. And while I can't blame all that on Asashio, I also don't think her 20km, battleship-and-carrier-only torpedoes really do much to dissuade such bad play.

The Click Bait

shot-18.08.31_11.06.31-0763-1024x576.jpgshot-18.11.29_23.08.18-0857-1024x576.jpg

You can't talk about ships released in 2018 and not mention Stalingrad.  The community at large cannot agree if she's overpowered or underpowered, if she's viable in competitive modes or if she's a troll pick.  With Wargaming giving away and directly selling Steel this holiday season, her sense of exclusivity has been severely damaged.  There's fears that this accelerated Steel acquisition is an indicator that she will soon be pulled from the Arsenal.

As far as drama llama boats go, Stalingrad isn't the raging dumpster fire of yesteryear's Alabama or Graf Zeppelin.  2018 was pretty tame when you get down to it if the only thing we could really get uppity over was another perceived helping of Russian-bias or Lert' choice...

Refrigerator-3.png
If there was one controversy this year, it was this ship. West Virginia 1941. She turned out a decent ship by herself, and the controversy wasn't anything about her consumables or gimmicks; it was because Wargaming completely missed the point with choosing her for introduction. Many were the requests for West Virginia through the years, this G heard. But all of those wanted the arisen-out-of-the-ashes, 1944, Puget Sound refit - which apparently went over their head.

I have to give the community props though, the controversy as it were was a lot less noisy than previous ones. Cooler and calmer heads prevailed, most threads about #WV44 were polite discussions rather than rant fests, and WG actually listened. While personally I would've introduced WV'41 as Maryland and kept the WV name for the 1944 Puget Sound refit, I can find myself in the solution WG has chosen.

West Virginia 1941 gets my 'Bless their hearts, they tried' award, though Mouse is likely going to list this entry under a 'controversy' heading.

Make-Sub_Octavian-feel-love.pngSmarty pants.

The People's Voice

2SDKXKG.jpg

Last year we championed Alabama and Enterprise as community-lead projects.  Haida has more in common with the latter -- having been requested repeatedly by (Canadian) members of the community over and over and over again until Reddit was damn well sick of hearing about it.  These projects are of particular importance to me and I think they always deserve recognition as the success stories they are.  Another ship, HMS Exeter, is showing up in 2019 at the request of the community, so it shows that Wargaming is paying attention to the ships we want.  We can only hope that West Virginia 1944 is being hastened through the development process given all of the hubbub made about her after WV41's announcement.

I could go on at length about Haida's development cycle, but I'll spare you that for this article.  I was heavily invested and involved in her testing, providing volumes of feedback (and many an angry rant besides).  She's definitely my darling of 2018 and no look back at this year would be complete without her mention.

LertGoose.png
Yeah, you finally got her. Congratulations. And she's actually a good bote, too! Nice one, WG. Thanks. Now can we get some Dutch ships up in here?

g7Al2LD.png

Best Premium of 2018

Angry-Musashi3-1024x576.jpgiINRbaa.png

Refrigerator-3.png
People said Musashi would be completely useless. Superfluous. Meaningless. Not worth it. And she turned out to be an absolute unit, a sledgehammer without equal. Nothing else at tier IX can match Musashi in sheer, raw power. Everything about her sucks - except her hit point pool, and those unholy, massively powerful guns. Do you need 460mm at tier 9 to brutalize everything? No, but it's a lot of fun. Well, fun is relative. I can see people decrying her lack of speed. Or agility. Or AA. Or stealth. And they have a good point.

But, for me, when I want some uncomplicated, sledgehammer-swinging, brute force, ludicrous ultra-violence; Musashi. There is no substitute. I like her even more than Yamato, and I couldn't explain why. Maybe it's because I'm beating up on smaller botes. Maybe it's because as a tier 9 there's less pressure to carry than as a tier 10. But, I don't mind that she makes less credits than Missouri - she stil make a buttload. I don't mind that she's not as accurate as Yamato, she still puts warheads through foreheads.

Just - look over there please, carrier driver. No, over there. On the other side of the map. Thank you.

I wanna give top prize to Miss Moo-Moo too, but I gotta give premium of the year to Massachusetts.  She ticks all of the right boxes, being (almost) everything I could want in a premium.  She offers fun and unique game play.  She's strong and competitive without being overpowered.  The only fly in the ointment is that she's not the best commander trainer, but so long as you ditch manual-secondaries, you could stick a soft-AA build captain on her and do alright.

What's most surprising is that she comes from such humble origins.  Massachusetts was supposed to be a near Alabama-clone with slightly different AA and a touch more agility than Alabama.  This was back when Alabama was going to be a reward-ship only for Supertesters.  Of course, then Alabama-gate happened and she had to be overhauled.  I have to say that Wargaming knocked it out of the park with this one, giving us a fun and rewarding ship that well deserved her "Black" clone.  She is, in my mind, the safest acquisition anyone could make out of all of the ships released in 2018.

Refrigerator-3.pngYeah I can find myself in your choice of Massachusetts, but I'm going to stick with Musashi.

Concludy-Bits

Refrigerator-3.png
Although in my intro I said that this year was not as good for premium ships as 2016 was, it was arguably the year in which WG listened. With the promise of WV44 in the future, the introduction of Haida and the announcement of both HMS Exeter and a pan-european umbrella nationality, I am hesitantly optimistic for the future. Let's see if WG can maintain this upwards trend.

I share Lert's cautious optimism for the upcoming year with a big ol' butt attached:  It's all going to depend on how well the aircraft carrier rework goes through.  2019 already has some interesting premiums lined up, including some very big names attached (Alaska, I am looking at you).  I hope everything runs smooth -- mostly because when things don't it makes more work for me.  Which reminds me, I'm still playing catch-up on 2018 premiums so I should probably shut down this article and get back to work on those wee tier 3s that snuck through the net.

So, dear readers, Lert and I want to know:  What were your most memorable premiums of 2018?  Which were the best?  Which were the worst?

Thank you all for reading and we'll see you in 2019!  Happy New Year from Lert and myself!

patreon_shipcomrade.png

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Cool 45
  • Boring 4

[LSNB]
Members
1,623 posts
4,775 battles

Yep, totally remember Mass came out. She is the American Bismarck, people said.

Every Massachusetts driver I have met so far has been competent save for one clueless player, who I blapped for 3 cits and a dev strike from across the map.

Edited by destawaits

[PSV]
Members
332 posts
8,999 battles

My best purchase of the year is Assashio. Exactly as a troll boat.

• Cool 1

Members
941 posts
4,088 battles

I actually hated the Massachusetts. I found the ship was too-overly specialized for close-quarters combat, and unlike some ships like the Tirpitz or Bismarck, it lacks the former's torpedoes and latter's hydroacoustics. Tier 8 MM has never been very favorable recently, and at those higher tiers, in a close range brawl, neither an improved repair party nor survival skills will save you from concentrated fire from higher tier ships. Whenever you get the opportunity to brawl, like when the MM is fine or the enemies are not as plentiful, I guess it works and it's decently fun, but overall I really didn't like it since I didn't find myself in enough situations where it would've been good. I would've preferred the Alabama.

Then again, premium ships are supposed to be unique, so as a premium ship I guess it's not bad.

Members
2,304 posts
10,989 battles
13 minutes ago, Junostorm said:

Interesting, not complete sold on Musashi being good.

Compare Sushi to Yamato: Sushi sucks.

Compare Sushi to Izumo: Sushi is literally the most overpowered premium ever released.

Edited by Gavroche_
Spelling
  • Cool 3
  • Funny 1

Members
2,646 posts
4,285 battles

Massachusetts was the first premium battleship I ever bought and the first premium I bought without hesitation.  Probably my favorite battleship in game currently.  USN 406's with usable flamethrowers?  I mean 127's?  With increased accuracy?  Uh,  heck yes. Gimme all dat.

I do think the Musashi is more powerful but...the Mass is just more fun to me.

[SVF]
Members
1,774 posts
2,335 battles
26 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

With the promise of WV44 in the future,

I'm not actually hopeful anymore about WV44 @Lert , more skeptical now than anything else. Firstly, given that WG has probably long since planned out this upcoming year in terms of premium ships to release, we're not likely to see her (if they even follow through, which is not guaranteed) before 2020 or even 2021.  Second, one of the things that would have made her stand out/been a selling point (depending on her eventual tiering anyway) would've been as a USN BB that has actually strong long range AA before T8; this has imo been weakened or even made moot with the major defanging of AA as a mechanic post 0.8.0.

TO be a bit more constructive though, it was nice to see yours and LWM's choices and reasonings.

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles
38 minutes ago, Junostorm said:

Interesting, not complete sold on Musashi being good.

A big part of it is most T9s are mediocre at best. Musashi is solid in and of herself but she also forces a T9 onto the other team. That is a huge advantage. If all you are looking for is big guns then the Yamato is objectively the better ship, however as far as winning goes she offers a lot by screwing with MMing.

• Cool 1

[IJAG]
Members
201 posts
15,711 battles

As a Massachusetts resident and after visiting her at Battleship Cove multiple times, I love battleship Massachusetts. I play with her more than the other premium ships because she's just so fun to play.

Edited by USAPatriotGamer
  • Cool 3

[SYN]
Members
3,725 posts
23,482 battles

My best picks:

Solo play - Asashio In the right hands

Clan Battles - Stalingrad (why not pick a 2nd  BB for your team)

Members
178 posts
3,560 battles

Nice write up guys. About the only one i can attest to is Haida, which i love to pieces and i normally very much dislike DDs. Its you lot that help open, or stay my wallet as comm contributers. You provide a service, thanks 

[FML]
Members
4,078 posts
15,845 battles

I dont regret my purchase of Massachusettes B for 30 per cent off a couple of months ago, it has been fun. 

I am still looking forward to grabbing the Haida and T-61 from the tech tree if/when they eventually come out - mildly miffed I cant get them on sale currently given I've already waited 6 months for them. 

But on that note, LWM/@Lert what are your thoughts about the T-61 and its long development cycle?

[MLPVA]
Members
351 posts
4,013 battles

Honestly, the premium I was most excited about was the Prinz Eitel Friedrich. I bought her the day she was released, and haven't been disappointed. Yes, WeeGee went at her hard with the nerf bat during her development, but I've enjoyed every battle in her so far.

Edited by DarfTarts421
  • Cool 1

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,277 posts
10,382 battles
6 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

But on that note, LWM/@Lert what are your thoughts about the T-61 and its long development cycle?

Her development cycle wasn't long -- all things told, her actual testing cycle was reasonable.  She was ready to go for this time last year -- I actually had a review ready to be published the week of Christmas 2017 but Wargaming pushed back her release date and kept her under a partial NDA preventing me from publishing.  The ship remained unchanged but waiting in the wings.  The glut of ships released in short order last year around Christmas time had kinda saturated things.  The continued hurried release schedule through the first part of 2018 also meant there was no room for her.  So she kept on getting pushed back again and again.  If you look back to the monthly sales announcements, you'll see T-61 show up there a couple of times only to be cancelled time and again.

I suppose it's a comfortable place for Wargaming to be in -- to have too many ships ready at one time. 

• Cool 1

[RBMK]
Members
251 posts
19,728 battles

I love the Mass, but for a different reason.

Everything about it screams exp piñata for HE spammers, as much as the 32mm covered Jean Bart and Bourgogne.

It is a secondary focused Battleship, as to no one's surprise the captains lack CE/FP/BoS, making it a free farm for new HE spammer DDs like Harugumo and Daring.

And to make things even more favorable, the Mass also gets a faster reload heal, allowing more damage to be farmed for free off of the ship, especially by T10 ships.

This ship was literally made as a punching bag for unicums to farm off of. :cap_haloween:

The Kronshtadt is a personal favorite of mine, it and Stalingrad had their tiers switched. I believe that Kronshtadt had the potential to be the T10 more than Stalingrad as it is pretty much a Stalingrad without its weaknesses

Kronshtadt is so much more fun to play simply because it have the concealment to ambush ships and isn't helpless against any ship that knows how to angle. It is just so much more versatile and actually scales with its captain rather than the lack of skill of the enemies.

Either way, great post and analysis as always, keep up the good work. :cap_horn:

Edited by DoIphin_Princess
  • Boring 2

[INTEL]
Members
1,778 posts
15,774 battles

Musashi is my pick for best premium of 2018. Sure it's not Yamato accurate but thats kinda the point. Being accurate requires the shooter have good aim and guess right if the target is even slightly maneuvering. Musashi's comparative inaccuracy is sometimes her best feature. I cant count the number of times I've made a poor shot only to have a stray shell nail a fat Cit.  "It's only a Musushi" said nobody ever. The Capt in the sights doesn't care that its Musashi or Yamato, all they know is those are 460mm x 9 of possible instant deletion.

Members
1,104 posts
12,061 battles

Believe it or not I had not made any purchases of premiums this year.  I mean I did buy Charleston through the shop, but I thought it was a short-time-only deal (I don't even like the color).  No this year was my very first year of buying premium time (360 days worth) and it feel all "graduated" like.  Since 2015, I've been playing Free-to-Play (10k games worth) through and through because from the little premium time that was "gifted" to me early on, everything felt to quickly earned.  Not only that I was proud that I could practice and practice longer on the boats, every boat, so I can become the player I am today.  But WG decided to create separate premium accounts for the community and match w/e premium time each individual had.  I just couldn't pass up the opportunity and went all in with a year's worth of Premium Time.  

As for potential premiums, while Kronstadt and Musashi were temping, I think the premiums I wanted (and shortly will) purchase this next year will be Le Terrible and Roma.  These two ships caught my eye in that they're "far out" of conventional wisdom.  53 knots is something else to behold, I just wish the HE alpha strike was stronger because 139mm is not a very common gun in DDs here, so that could have been another plus point for purchase.  The Roma was not just for the camo (There's nothing like it) but it's armor scheme, particularly the belt.  It's just so damn strong and unique for a T8 BB, to even knock off Yamato shell, I feel like I must have it, if not for that reason alone (sure wonky guns but I'm know what I'm doing).  Salem was going to be my goal for this year, but I stopped shortly after when Wargaming quietly decided they weren't going to sell her 2015 Halloween camo.  That was a heartbreaker, because really, she's just a Des Moines.  I will never forget about Essex as well, I would like her 2015 Halloween camo as well, along with her pancake planes.

Speaking of French things, I'm surprised you didn't mention Le Terrible or Gascoigne being an issue for premiums.  One just plopped up in the shop without any warning or notification to the Community Contributors, the other sparked discussion about a Graf Spee at T8 but in Battleship form.

Lastly I'm kicking myself for not buying the Caesar Salad.  Now I know what your thinking, "Oh you just want to seal club in the thing, you seal clubber!  Bad Airglide2!"  No, no, no, I wanted this ship for it's "size".  This thing is reeeeally small for a battleship.  It's quite eye catching for me.  I do hope WG introduces something of this size as a BB in the future or smaller cruisers but in high tiers (you get my point).

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to you both, April and Lert.  Keep up the good, hard work in perusing the truth about these new premiums to come.  I hope you never feel that nobody isn't watching you or ignoring your feedback to the community.  To you Lert, I say I hope WG has you on speed dial for any Dutch related ship questions and that the Dutch Navy should be a separate nation on the tech tree (Not Pan-European).  I may not be Dutch, nor know anyone Dutch, but I was very encouraged after learning about this woman, Queen Wilhelmina, and how she contributed to her people throughout the war.  Yes there's way more to WW2 than just "her", but the Netherlands still had more Cruisers made than any other nation outside the ones we have in game (and Italy).

Edited by Airglide2
  • Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
691 posts
26,074 battles

My biggest surprise premium for 2018 is the Asashio. I got the Blasashio in a Black Friday crate. I have only 29 games in her so far but my win rate is much better than I expected. I don't know why, maybe the DWT make me more cautious knowing I can't use torps to hit DDs in smoke or dissuade cruisers from charging me. Whatever it is, something about the Asashio just agrees with me. And so far I've gotten more guns kills than torp kills so I can't be spending all my time at the map edge trying to snipe BBs. :Smile_Default: