You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
WXDuncan

Which ship to pick?

16 comments in this topic

[EGIRL]
Members
18 posts
2,750 battles

So  just thought I would throw this tread out and see what people say. First off I have enough steel now to get Flint or Black but also have enough steel to combine with coal to get Musashi. Also if I chose to get Flint or Black would have enough coal to get Aigle with one of them. But I was looking at the Directives for the next two stages and I could get another 1000 steal. And more coal by that time. So should I do that and go for the Jean Bart or Salem? Or should I go with one of the above options? Thanks for your help.

Edited by WXDuncan

[BSL]
Members
1,007 posts
17,144 battles
13 minutes ago, richie_macrophage said:

A lot of people say go for Musashi since it's going away next update.

This

Give yourself more time...

• Cool 1

[LANCE]
Members
503 posts
4,511 battles

Musashi is going away soon and earns pretty good credits ... not quite Missouri levels though. It gives a great feeling though when you 2x citadel a Missouri for 46k though!!

A few guys I div with say the Salem isn’t worth it as it’s a gimped DM. I don’t have it so can’t pass judgement.

I’d go for which ever you can use as a Capt trainer/pseudo premium.

Good luck with whichever you choose mate!

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
7,881 posts
13,391 battles
1 hour ago, WXDuncan said:

So  just thought I would throw this tread out and see what people say. First off I have enough steel now to get Flint or Black but also have enough steel to combine with coal to get Musashi. Also if I chose to get Flint or Black would have enough coal to get Aigle with one of them. But I was looking at the Directives for the next two stages and I could get another 1000 steal. And more coal by that time. So should I do that and go for the Jean Bart or Salem? Or should I go with one of the above options? Thanks for your help.

First off, would discourage you from wasting steel on coal boats.

Flint is a worse Atlanta

Musashi is a worse Yammy that gets to crapon t7s

Aigle is just kinda crapall around

Salem is a worse Des Moines.

Black is a beast, if you like high tier DDs then this one is for you. Fletcher with radar.

You should just read the reviews (littlewhitemouse has reviews on all of them) and decide for yourself.

• Cool 1

[P-V-E]
Members
1,346 posts

Salem is good if you play a lot of co-op, due to its very cheap service cost, its hard not to make some money, and it comes with a permanent camo to make it even cheaper and saves 5000 gold vs the DM

Musashi is also a good earner in co-op, and while not quite Missouri levels it is more consistent due to its reliable damage.

if you play a lot of operations at tier VII like Ultimate Frontier, Operation Narai and Operation Hermes, then Flint is good for that too.

Black, I don't have.

Edited by b101uk
  • Cool 1

[EGIRL]
Members
18 posts
2,750 battles

Think I'm going to lean towards the Black since I have the Missouri already. And just save my coal like a few suggested. One thing I would like to know I'm working near 750,000 free exp by the end of 2 weeks or so. Was wondering should I bite on the Musashi with all that free exp or save? Reason I ask is I thought someone said Alaska would be for free exp don't know how much. 

Edited by WXDuncan

[P-V-E]
Members
1,346 posts
1 minute ago, WXDuncan said:

ask is I thought someone said Alaska would be for free exp don't know how much. 

Alaska will be 1,000,000 free XP last they said on the dev blog, it may be possible that may change down but probably not.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,102 posts
12,032 battles
2 minutes ago, WXDuncan said:

... I thought someone said Alaska would be for free exp don't know how much. 

Alaska price is set for 1 million FXP from what I've read on the forums.  It's also been nerfed for fire burn time, from 45 to 60 secs.

I'd suggest you find LWM's review if you haven't read it yet (surely she's made one by now).

• Cool 1

[DAS]
Members
80 posts
12,542 battles
9 minutes ago, DocWalker said:

Alaska price is set for 1 million FXP from what I've read on the forums.  It's also been nerfed for fire burn time, from 45 to 60 secs.

I'd suggest you find LWM's review if you haven't read it yet (surely she's made one by now).

I believe it was nerfed from 30 to 45 seconds.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,102 posts
12,032 battles
1 minute ago, Gardie said:

You could well be correct ... I was relaying what I remember reading in another post, and it's by no means confirmed.  Thanks for pointing it out.

• Cool 1

[DAS]
Members
80 posts
12,542 battles
6 minutes ago, DocWalker said:

You could well be correct ... I was relaying what I remember reading in another post, and it's by no means confirmed.  Thanks for pointing it out.

:cap_like:

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,102 posts
12,032 battles
6 hours ago, Gardie said:

Finally got a chance to look at the Developer's Blog ... and it says 60 secs.  Seems crazy long doesn't it ... change is stated as preliminary.

Saw that Notser has a video out on the potential change:

Spoiler

Screenshot_1.png

[ARGSY]
Members
15,130 posts
9,874 battles
9 hours ago, WXDuncan said:

If you have enough steel for a steel ship, for the love of God get a steel ship; don't blow it on a coal ship.

7 hours ago, WXDuncan said:

Think I'm going to lean towards the Black since I have the Missouri already. And just save my coal like a few suggested. One thing I would like to know I'm working near 750,000 free exp by the end of 2 weeks or so. Was wondering should I bite on the Musashi with all that free exp or save? Reason I ask is I thought someone said Alaska would be for free exp don't know how much. 

And especially don't blow it on a coal ship when you have the option to get her for free XP. There are two days left of a 35:1 conversion sale if you want to pay the money and are worried you won't grind it all out in time.

I have both Musashi and Salem. Both are affordable in co-op, the Salem possibly even more so because her inbuilt service cost is already cheap on top of a great camo, and that means you shouldn't pay horrendous silver penalties on a blowout loss in PvP. If we ever get another Ranked Tier VIII/X season like before, Salem would be a good choice for Tier X ranked because she won't munch through your credits in service costs the way the Des Moines would and doesn't need econ flags for a Ranked season to be affordable. Same goes for clan battles.

With the next season of Ranked already announced as being Tier IX, here's something which might support your inclination toward the Black. I don't have her so I can't speak for her, but here it is for what it's worth:

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,562 posts
23,545 battles
8 hours ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

First off, would discourage you from wasting steel on coal boats.

Flint is a worse Atlanta

Musashi is a worse Yammy that gets to crapon t7s

Aigle is just kinda crapall around

Salem is a worse Des Moines.

Black is a beast, if you like high tier DDs then this one is for you. Fletcher with radar.

You should just read the reviews (littlewhitemouse has reviews on all of them) and decide for yourself.

Flint is a different kind of the Atlanta: to play her for full strenght you need a team. The moment no one spots, your smoke is useless. Same like the Kutuzov.And then you are just an Atlanta that draws fire. 

Musashi is good as long as there are no CV. She isn't really bad , she is just a downtiered T10. Still highest damage and WR for all T9 BB. 

Salem is, again, a different version of the techtree ship. Less radar, DD kind repairs and RN superheal. She has extrem low maintance costs. May interesting if you have no USN CA trainer because of the XP earning. Not so much if you have the DM with the free camo from the USN event. Also: the DM has legendary modul by now that makes her very different to play.

Black isn't just a Fletcher with radar. You exschange it for slow, but hard hitting torpedos. Slow like, really slow, slower as the infamous Sims sea mines. You can get alot out of this ship if you can play the Fletcher. While some say the 20/24 seconds radar is trash and the German Z-52 hydro will own the Black, the truth is: the extra radar comes handy for contesting caps with some other ships close by. You can chase a DD out of his cover and after 20 sec a cruiser can take over. And the Z-52 will also own you in a Fletcher, that's like comparing apples with strawberries. 

While I recommend LWM reviews, they are not up to date.

[QQ7]
Members
1,051 posts
4,641 battles
8 hours ago, Gardie said:

It was nerfed to 60 seconds from 45.  It had the same base time as Stalingrad before the nerf.