You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Destroyer_KuroshioKai

T9 DDs Ranked/Arms Race Commentaries

15 comments in this topic

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,459 posts
13,599 battles

In this thread I will post videos explaining my opinion of the T9 DDs.  I'll say it right now, all of them are strong enough to be viable in what I believe the meta will be.  I'm not thrilled about arms race as the mode if it plays like I last saw it.  I have large concerns about DDs being pressured to secure bonuses for the team while the team risks next to nothing if save a star exists.  I believe the mode puts too much pressure on the DD for what I expect will be worth little in XP rewards.  I hope I'm wrong. 

Most of the initial fighting I expect will be done over the bonus points.  Fast ships like Tashkent, might be able to zerg rush them quick enough to steal them, but I expect that to be very risky.  On the opposite spectrum is Yugumo that will zone enemy DDs out of the caps if she has enough support covering her. 

Is a bonus worth losing your ship over?  No.  Doing so places the battle out of your hands.  A single bonus isnt worth your team being down a ship either.  I expect many DDs wont heed that advice.  Some bonuses are worth more than others especially in certain circumstances.  Say you have a lot of your HP and your team is low HP.  It is worth sticking your neck out for a repair bonus that lets your team recover HP slowly over time.  At this time I dont know if the mode will have the same bonuses as the mode had when they tested on the live server. 

Hopefully we will learn more about the ranked version of arms race soon.

To kick off the ship commentaries I'll start with the one being most discussed.  Black.

Z-46, the wild card choice

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai

[SQUAD]
Members
9,172 posts
11,680 battles

Personally, I'm running Black, and I agree with your worries about the mode, as well. When one considers how Ranked play has gone in the past, I feel your concerns are well founded.

[A-D-F]
[A-D-F]
Members
2,309 posts

I am morbidy curious to see what sort of havoc the Jean Bart might create with the ROF buff stacked with MBRB.

[SYN]
Members
3,734 posts
23,565 battles

I didn't play Arms Race much, but with the reduced concealment possible it might be fun to try Yugumo with F3's & TA.

4x4 81 Knot torps could troll the caps pretty well

• Cool 1

[CVLUL]
3,459 posts
13,599 battles

Chung Mu the CA and BB assassin.  Obviously people will compare her to Black, and think Black is better.  She has a very unique play style since she lacks smoke.  She is going to be an excellent middle man arranging the deaths of DDs by the bushel with her radar and good concealment.  A Chung Mu paired up with a smoke DD, especially Kitakaze is extremely punishing.  Where as Black punishes DDs heavily and can struggle against large ships, CA and BBs should fear this ship and DDs need to be mindful of its radar. 

In this video you can see several uses of radar to ambush enemy DDs, and my mere presence forces enemies to flee.

[CVLUL]
3,459 posts
13,599 battles

The Daka Machine.  Kitkat is going to be a serious contender.  She is going to play very different than the DDs posted to date.  She is best played as a support role DD rather than a cap contester.  She is OP in the regard she has massive MB firepower in a ship that is not nearly as clunky as Harugumo or Akizuki are at their tiers, and only .1km more visible than a Fletcher/Chung Mu.  Her purpose is to punish all things, but shes best at ripping apart spotted DDs so fast her DDs dont take nearly as much damage in return.

Expect these DDs to set up adjacent to caps ready to shoot behind cover that enemy DDs might use to try to cap from.  Played as an ambush predator shes quite strong.  She is vulnerable to radar detection and torp spam.  Plan accordingly if you face one.

[CVLUL]
3,459 posts
13,599 battles

This one is slightly NSFW, my apologies.  My usual ranked team mates found me in a random battle.  I go on a little bit of a rant as people lose their ships pointlessly and we lose the game.  The good news?

Jutland has the potential to save you tons of stars.  She can cap, punish DDs, burn and AP BBs and CAs nearly as well as Kitakaze.  This things almost has it all, except she's slower than my old [edited]rolling out of bed in the morning.  That too however can be a strength as it limits your ability to outrun your support, meaning when you show up you have plenty of boys with guns ready to join in the party too.

[CVLUL]
3,459 posts
13,599 battles

Heres my Fletcher and Tashkent commentaries.  Both times I'm trying to carry heavy teams, and it really shows off the damage dealing capability of these ships.

[CVLUL]
3,459 posts
13,599 battles

Yugumo is going to be one of the better DDs for players that understand the natural ebb and flow of DD warfare.  Sure you might face DDs with radar and hydro, but over time you can still zone these guys out with smart patient play.

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,319 posts
13,270 battles

Tier 9 in general is the sweet spot for DDs. Most lines have their best DDs at T9.

But arms race is not general. It's a childish botenight mode. Even more RNG dependent because the power up locations and types. The timed final cap is also like a 1000 point final shot that can completely undo the effort taken the whole match.

I look forward to heavy doses of salt.

[CVLUL]
3,459 posts
13,599 battles
10 hours ago, chewonit said:

Tier 9 in general is the sweet spot for DDs. Most lines have their best DDs at T9.

But arms race is not general. It's a childish botenight mode. Even more RNG dependent because the power up locations and types. The timed final cap is also like a 1000 point final shot that can completely undo the effort taken the whole match.

I look forward to heavy doses of salt.

I agree on both counts.

I am not happy about Arms Race at all.  It throws way too much unpredictability into the mix.  For example a Kitakaze with concealment bonuses can out spot a Yugumo.  He can get them easier based on better RNG spawn location.  How is that balanced or fair?  Maybe they changed some stuff from the last time I played Arms Race, I hope so.

Not a fan of the final cap either, its like you play most of the game to improve your ship, only at the end do you play for real.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,319 posts
13,270 battles
10 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

I agree on both counts.

I am not happy about Arms Race at all.  It throws way too much unpredictability into the mix.  For example a Kitakaze with concealment bonuses can out spot a Yugumo.  He can get them easier based on better RNG spawn location.  How is that balanced or fair?  Maybe they changed some stuff from the last time I played Arms Race, I hope so.

Not a fan of the final cap either, its like you play most of the game to improve your ship, only at the end do you play for real.

The randomness of concealment boost almost mandates bringing a hydro or radar ship to the match. They are the only sure way to counter the unpredictability of the concealments. You have to be able to counter spot the opponents when they out spot you.

Bring Z-46 or Chung Mu. Once you are spotted, hit hydro or radar to counter spot. Otherwise, you are helpless against RNG.

It will be a radar shitshow from top to bottom.

[CVLUL]
3,459 posts
13,599 battles
1 hour ago, chewonit said:

The randomness of concealment boost almost mandates bringing a hydro or radar ship to the match. They are the only sure way to counter the unpredictability of the concealments. You have to be able to counter spot the opponents when they out spot you.

Bring Z-46 or Chung Mu. Once you are spotted, hit hydro or radar to counter spot. Otherwise, you are helpless against RNG.

It will be a radar shitshow from top to bottom.

Spoiling my final notes lol.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,319 posts
13,270 battles
56 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Spoiling my final notes lol.

Sorry. :)

[TOG]
Members
4,213 posts
25,120 battles

I've played arms race in PTS and it's a case of He Who Dares Wins. High Risk High Reward. DD's I've found to be the ones who can reap the benefits of the bennies most of the time.