You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Shadowfigment

2019, The Year of the Console?

19 comments in this topic

[5IN]
[5IN]
Members
26 posts
11,307 battles

There is currently A LOT of discussion about the CV rework. Having read the CV Rework F.A.Q. and noticing the changes to base detection stats for hydroacoustic search and radar, it would seem that the business side of Wargaming.net is doubling down on its efforts to make its upcoming console release of this game a success.

The CV rework, to me, makes sense if you are trying to create a system that is optimized first for a controller. The current real-time strategy (RTS) version is optimized for PC play only. Wargaming is a business first. Optimizing its system for maximum benefit will allow them to reach a new group of players and potentially make money with them.

What do you all think?

• Cool 3

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles
11 minutes ago, Shadowfigment said:

There is currently A LOT of discussion about the CV rework. Having read the CV Rework F.A.Q. and noticing the changes to base detection stats for hydroacoustic search and radar, it would seem that the business side of Wargaming.net is doubling down on its efforts to make its upcoming console release of this game a success.

The CV rework, to me, makes sense if you are trying to create a system that is optimized first for a controller. The current real-time strategy (RTS) version is optimized for PC play only. Wargaming is a business first. Optimizing its system for maximum benefit will allow them to reach a new group of players and potentially make money with them.

What do you all think?

The more players the better!  Thumbs up.

Members
909 posts
6,198 battles

If RTS system was working fine with no problems then you would probably be right however that hasn’t ever really been the case so no I don’t think the rework is only being done the sake of the consoles. 

• Meh 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,144 posts
14,735 battles
33 minutes ago, Forgottensoldier117 said:

If RTS system was working fine with no problems then you would probably be right however that hasn’t ever really been the case so no I don’t think the rework is only being done the sake of the consoles. 

This, the console work is by a completely different team so any resemblance to what people think console CV's are going to be is accidental.

• Cool 3

[5IN]
[5IN]
Members
26 posts
11,307 battles

BrushWolf it is possible to borrow code from the PC version for use in the console to decrease development time. Different teams do not necessarily mean different coding.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,442 posts
2 hours ago, Shadowfigment said:

What do you all think?

Dead on.

The console version always was and always will be the reason behind the rework, and the concentration on the rework always was and always will be why no effort was made to fix the existing system over the last year and change, while gimmick after gimmick was crammed in to drive sales (see, every goofy thing on a premium carrier).  They sold those premium carriers KNOWING that the rework was coming, and now have no intention of giving cash refunds despite that. 

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,144 posts
14,735 battles
22 minutes ago, FrodoFraggin said:

Can someone explain why consoles are incapable of playing RTS games?

They are not incapable but controllers are ill equipped to handle the vast amount of different key presses that RTS requires. We use six keys just for ship movement, then depending on the ship add in three or more number keys, shift keys, control, alt, etc.

Members
178 posts
3,560 battles

I know its not popular opinion  to give new cv patch a chance but the idea of carrier play was one of those things i considered but the whole rts aspect looked a complete pita. Now ill likely give one a try. 

This day and age with the internet and social media, people like to cry and riot until they usually get their way. That wont change, but ill keep playing , i highly doubt it will be " literally unplayable " and balances will appear if needed. People dont like change, thats understood - but maybe give it a go first, then form opinions of your own and not repeat those of twitch/youtube superstar basement dwellers  

There are more important things in life, cv rework is not the apocalypse 

Edited by Schnauzahpowahz
  • Cool 1

[KIA-A]
Beta Testers
3,410 posts
5,761 battles
7 hours ago, Shadowfigment said:

The CV rework, to me, makes sense if you are trying to create a system that is optimized first for a controller.

no...its 2 different teams first off, then think about this. would you risk your highly successful game going to trash in hopes you can help a different dev team make a different one? why would anyone risk that?

[SANK]
Members
315 posts
7,196 battles
17 minutes ago, Hanger_18 said:

no...its 2 different teams first off, then think about this. would you risk your highly successful game going to trash in hopes you can help a different dev team make a different one? why would anyone risk that?

The XBox console runs on a version of Windows 10, so I am sure that more than a few things will be portable to at least that console.

Yes, they will have different teams for the two versions, but it makes no sense to not use proven code to make a port quicker and easier. It is all a numbers game, and if you can save money by not having to have your coders.

PS4 runs on a version of FreeBSD. and Macs run on a flavor of BSD, not sure how close the two systems are as I am not a Linux user/dev, but I am betting porting code into that might work as well.

If you can reduce the dev/testing cycle by making as much of the versions of the game the same as possible, then that translates into budget savings. Yes it is all about the money, but in many different ways.

[KIA-A]
Beta Testers
3,410 posts
5,761 battles
1 minute ago, Billy2Hawks said:

The XBox console runs on a version of Windows 10, so I am sure that more than a few things will be portable to at least that console.

Yes, they will have different teams for the two versions, but it makes no sense to not use proven code to make a port quicker and easier. It is all a numbers game, and if you can save money by not having to have your coders.

PS4 runs on a version of FreeBSD. and Macs run on a flavor of BSD, not sure how close the two systems are as I am not a Linux user/dev, but I am betting porting code into that might work as well.

If you can reduce the dev/testing cycle by making as much of the versions of the game the same as possible, then that translates into budget savings. Yes it is all about the money, but in many different ways.

linux and mac are exclusive to each other....for that matter the users probably are as well. Linux is open source meanwhile apple is well apple.

a version of windows does not mean the same stuff is present. theres a bunch of linux distributions, but that doesnt mean they will all work with different things. theres different distributions for a reason.

this is like saying WOT works with the console team....they dont. 

[SANK]
Members
315 posts
7,196 battles
2 minutes ago, Hanger_18 said:

linux and mac are exclusive to each other....for that matter the users probably are as well. Linux is open source meanwhile apple is well apple.

a version of windows does not mean the same stuff is present. theres a bunch of linux distributions, but that doesnt mean they will all work with different things. theres different distributions for a reason.

this is like saying WOT works with the console team....they dont. 

I am not going to get into an argument with you, because you seem hellbent on the idea that there is no way that WG is going to start from the ground up instead of using the code base they have. That would be completely irresponsible both financially and in man hours. That is like saying the WOT team would not pass on any pertinent information to making the game work and that is silly.

If someone has a problem with the console, are you saying that they might not contact the PC team to see how they might have dealt with the same problem instead of floundering around for days/weeks/months. It is just silly to think that teams would not share knowledge bases or experience. Just imagine how much money that saves, and saving money equals making money.

The beauty of consoles for developers is that they each run the same hardware, so when you program for say the XBox, you know each and every XBox has the same hardware. So if you have a problem on one, the same fix should work on them all.

As for Win 10, Microsoft has worked really hard at maintaining the same functionality across all devices it is deployed against. They just need to make sure they work with the hardware.

As I had stated in my post. Mac runs on a flavor of BSD and will run linux command lines. I don't know much about Linux, so I can't comment on the feasibility of porting from the BSD base to a FreeBSD base.

Like I said before, I am not going to go into a deep argument here, but it is just plain silly to think WG would waste money by not using what they have and not to try to make the game as homogeneous as possible across similar platforms. This makes plain sense both financially and time investment.

[IRNBN]
Members
3,691 posts
10,738 battles
5 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Console is not going to have CV's to start with at least.

So does that mean we get fresh wood shavings in our Habitrails?

Test Pig.jpg

Members
598 posts
362 battles
18 hours ago, Shadowfigment said:

BrushWolf it is possible to borrow code from the PC version for use in the console to decrease development time. Different teams do not necessarily mean different coding.

WOTC for years could not add anything until it was done on PC first, so I imagine it will be the same with legends.