Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Rotten_Fish

Santa's 20X Mega Gift Boxes ($75 worth)

24 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

69
[GOSF]
Members
263 posts
3,609 battles

    I've been a paying member of the WoWS community for 3 years, and have always recognized the need for contributions, from those who are able to do so.  I opted to make mine in the form of a purchase of a 20X Santa Mega Gift Box, and basically received 220 New Year's Streamer camos (11 of the 20 boxes), some coal, 5 spring sky camos, 2,000 doubloons, and a few minor items that I don't recall.  The big prize was a Tier VI T-61 destroyer, and while I very much appreciated the ship, I really felt that WG could have done a little better than 220 units of the same camo.   When I approached WG about it, they predictably told me that everyone was subjected to the same conditions.  I am posting my experience is an effort to inform potential buyers of these "Gift Boxes", as to what they might receive.  I include WG's response to my initial lament, and request to have the items re-evaluated, and my rebuttal to their points.  YMMV, as other players will attest.

>>  

Hello,,
Thanks for contacting Wargaming Support.

I am really sorry that you haven't received the content you wished, but please take into consideration that you were aware what can you receive from every single box upon purchasing and opening. 

All the rewards are distributed randomly. These random chances are the same for every player. 

Unfortunately, we are not able to exchange the in-game goods.

I deeply apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your understanding on the matter.

<<

My response:

>>

Dear Alexandr,
 
    I would like to thank you very much for your prompt and thoughtful answer to my note.  After careful consideration of your answer, and further rumination on its content, I have come to realize that you are correct.  If one is truly honest in their considerations, they should find it absurd to participate in a stated random event, and expect a specific, favorable outcome. 
 
   However, if, once again, one is truly honest in their considerations, given the plethora of unique, and diverse items in WoWS' catalogue of potential offerings, the balance of probability does not, in any way, favor the ridiculously disproportionate number of appearances of the New Year's streamer camo, in the gift drawings, that I experienced - unless such a condition was intentional, in which case, the description of a "random" item drawing in "Santa's Mega Gift Box" promotion, is HIGHLY inaccurate.
 
   I understand that WG would decline any request for restitution, or re-evaluation of the gift boxes, as to accept such a request would be to invite chaos amongst the ranks of players who did not receive their idea of a "fair" drawing, and who demanded another roll of the dice, in an effort to obtain more desirable items.  However, please understand that, while I respect your explanation that all players are subject to the same conditions, I hope you respect my decision to be far more hesitant to part with my earnings, in future WG promotions.
 
    I also think it important that the WoWS community be as informed as possible, with respect to the potential outcomes of their investments in your game, and in that spirit, I will publish details of my issue (truthfully - there is no need for embellishment) on the fora, for readers' consideration.
 
   Again, Aleksandr, thank you for your time!

 

Caveat Emptor.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Rotten_Fish
font color
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
144
[SAVAG]
Members
637 posts

RNGesus!!!!! You win some, you lose some.  there are plenty of stories out there of people getting five ships in their haul . Or even the occasional rare ship in a free gift  box from WG.

Those who purchase boxes either get a great haul or nothing but consumables in return . Didnt  want to say it but better luck next time. .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
169
[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
1 hour ago, Rotten_Fish said:

    I've been a paying member of the WoWS community for 3 years, and have always recognized the need for contributions, from those who are able to do so.  I opted to make mine in the form of a purchase of a 20X Santa Mega Gift Box, and basically received 220 New Year's Streamer camos (11 of the 20 boxes), some coal, 5 spring sky camos, 2,000 doubloons, and a few minor items that I don't recall.  The big prize was a Tier VI T-61 destroyer, and while I very much appreciated the ship, I really felt that WG could have done a little better than 220 units of the same camo.  

 

Really not sure what you are complaining about. Doubloons, ship and Streamer camo comes to a retail value of $92.00

Roughly speaking, and not including coal; you received 15% more product than you paid for. Potentially more given all the discounted doubloon stuff going on at the moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,678
[YORHA]
Members
4,465 posts
8,502 battles
contributionnoun [ C or U ] 
UK  /ˌkɒn.trɪˈbjuː.ʃən/ US  /ˌkɑːn.trɪˈbjuː.ʃən/
 
something that you contribute or do to help produce or achieve something together with other people, or to help make something successful:

 

 

 

I am confused about OP's complaint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
327
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,147 posts
6,651 battles

I'm not quite sure what it is that you received that makes you think that you didn't get what you paid for.  Now that being said, there's probably a more fundamental question about how much WG should be encouraging people to gamble at something like 20:1 odds as a means of funding their business.

As somebody who usually buys Santa crates each year, the only way that buying them actually makes any sense is if you look at it as one of the few ways to get a chance to get a few of the rarer premium ships.  And even then it only makes any sense because it's nearly impossible to get these ships any other way.  There are far better ways to spend your money on this game.

Treat it like buying a lotto ticket and be happy that you got more than a piece of paper.  Any expectations beyond that aren't reasonable, but don't expect WG to suddenly change their business model unless some external force imposes it it upon them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,178
[SYN]
Members
3,612 posts
19,503 battles

OP gambling is not for you. 

If you want a guarantee, buy exactly what you want next time around. You will pay more of course but that's the rub.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,264
[O_O]
Members
5,702 posts
13,082 battles

You bought crates that contained game content and offered a chance at a premium ship.  You got one premium ship (and a darned good one, I might add).

But, you are upset you didn't get MORE premium ships?

You offered your tip to your fellow players.  Now I'll offer mine to you...DO NOT buy Santa crates with the sole intent of gaining premium ships.  You will likely be disappointed.  However, the Santa crates DO contain darned good camo, among other things.  That camo, when stacked with the right flags, can assist you in earning massive Free XP, which is very valuable.  Using the New Year Streamer camo, stacked with the 360 days premium time I bought for 1/2 off, and flags, I was able to haul in over 50,000 in Free XP in about 6 games today.  I could have done better, but lost a few games along the way.

You got a good deal, just not the good deal on premium ships you were hoping for.

Edited by desmo_2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
491
[BS]
Members
1,848 posts
9,426 battles

His rolls mirrored mine and others, there is no way those crates randomly pick camo's constantly. False advertising. Why don't they just raise the crate price and give truly random odds? I got FOUR MONAGHANS. I went into this having every single premium on the list. Tons of people get Monaghans and Krispy Cretin. They're obviously choosing ships that gives a smaller doubloon kickback.

 

 

Ej

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
327
Members
804 posts
4,544 battles
4 hours ago, Versili said:

RNGesus!!!!! You win some, you lose some.  there are plenty of stories out there of people getting five ships in their haul . Or even the occasional rare ship in a free gift  box from WG.

Those who purchase boxes either get a great haul or nothing but consumables in return . Didnt  want to say it but better luck next time. .

 

More like "Some win, most lose".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
69
[GOSF]
Members
263 posts
3,609 battles
20 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

You bought crates that contained game content and offered a chance at a premium ship.  You got one premium ship (and a darned good one, I might add).

But, you are upset you didn't get MORE premium ships?

You offered your tip to your fellow players.  Now I'll offer mine to you...DO NOT buy Santa crates with the sole intent of gaining premium ships.  You will likely be disappointed.  However, the Santa crates DO contain darned good camo, among other things.  That camo, when stacked with the right flags, can assist you in earning massive Free XP, which is very valuable.  Using the New Year Streamer camo, stacked with the 360 days premium time I bought for 1/2 off, and flags, I was able to haul in over 50,000 in Free XP in about 6 games today.  I could have done better, but lost a few games along the way. 

You got a good deal, just not the good deal on premium ships you were hoping for. 

Thank you all for your replies, but other than desmo, I suspect that my statement was misunderstood by many.  I will try to condense my otherwise verbose post, as much as possible.

1) I never complained about not receiving any particular ship

2) I never complained about not receiving ships, period

3) I was expressly grateful for the destroyer that I did receive

4) My only specific complaint was the following:

>>  I really felt that WG could have done a little better than 220 units of the same camo. <<

  I regret that I didn't keep a copy of my original note to WG, as I specifically told them that my lament was *NOT* about the receipt, or lack thereof, of any premium, or tech tree ships.  Considering 113 possible camos, and 25 different signals, receiving 11 New Year's Camos out of 20 drawings, entails a possibility of roughly one in 1017 (that's one in a hundred quadrillion, for the less mathematically inclined among us).  I did not include consumables in the calculation, as the number would have been even more absurd.  With all due respect, that hardly sounds random - in fact, it sounds more than a little rigged.

   BTW, Desmo, do you own one of the Ducati Desmo models?  I ask because about 10 years ago, I designed a 975 cubic-inch (16.25 litre), true boxer (not just a 180-degree V-design), 16-cylinder engine, with a hydraulically controlled, desmodromic valvetrain.  Given the right choices of materials at critical points in the engine, we were able to attain just over 4k hp (4,028 hp, to be precise), at 14,650 rpm.  We got a max BMEP of 216, and Eof .35 - mostly thanks to the fact that the valvetrain was under meticulous control at all times.  That experience made me a huge fan of desmo valvetrains.   Another miracle of that engine was how we dealt with the daunting task of clearing out the 6 MEGAwatts of waste heat that was being produced at full throttle...….

 

Peace.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
69
[GOSF]
Members
263 posts
3,609 battles
1 minute ago, HyenaHiena said:

Lootbox. Now buy more.

LOVE THAT AVATAR!!!!!

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,694 posts
1,251 battles

I’m just glad they also give coal for the arsenal, got me the  Musashi so worth it. Also gotten a number of Tier 8/7 ships that would have cost me more if I purchase it  separately. I actually gotten all 4 Italian ships. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,264
[O_O]
Members
5,702 posts
13,082 battles
2 hours ago, Rotten_Fish said:

BTW, Desmo, do you own one of the Ducati Desmo models?

Oh, yeah, I'm a Ducati fanboy.

I have owned a '99 900SS, '03 999 (my avatar pic...killed that one at the track, my aching heart!), and currently own a '11 Multistrada.

I still lust for a 916/996 and a carbureted 9000SS.  And I will always miss my 999 with Termignoni exhaust and open clutch cover...such a mechanical symphony!  Alas, I had a front brake failure in turn 7 at Hallett Motorsports Park in Oklahoma.  I ran off track and had to ditch, rolled the bike several times and totaled her.  I came out without a bruise. 

Edited by desmo_2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20
[WOLF7]
Members
53 posts
1,618 battles

Friday night I bought my last hurrah of 2 sets of 20 bigs (Did not have 13 of the regularly available ships and only three of the rares) :

 

7000 Dubs

20K Free XP

Haida

Missouri

Duca Acosta

Abruzi

One of my cats was sitting on the keyboard while I opened these. She will be on that keyboard come next Santa box/bag season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,111
[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,799 posts
13,839 battles
3 hours ago, Rotten_Fish said:

LOVE THAT AVATAR!!!!!

thank u x'D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
268
[WOLFD]
Members
365 posts
2,815 battles

I never buy crates. Like ever. But the OP got me curious so I sprung for a 5 pack

T-61

6000 Dubs

30 flags

No complaints.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
282
[ALL41]
Members
479 posts
10,273 battles

I've bought a few sets of gifts (all three sizes) in the last couple of weeks, and the 20xMega Santa Gifts I bought today was a great haul.     In those 20, it tried to give me:  

1x Monaghan dd, 2x T-61 dd, and 2x Kii bb (I have all three of those already.)    I also got the 2000 doubloons safe x5, and 12,500 coal x1.   Three of the gifts were New Year Streamer camo (so 60 total.)    The other gifts were special flags.

So, my take out of this set was ~55,000 doubloons added to my account, five 10-pt captains in my reserve, some camo, and some great specialty signals.    Overall, I've been extremely satisfied with the cost/value of the gifts and I have no complaints for WG.     Obviously by the OP's experience, it doesn't always work out so well to the player's satisfaction.     

Happy New Year all!     :cap_horn:

Edited by ThumperD702

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
69
[GOSF]
Members
263 posts
3,609 battles
20 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

Oh, yeah, I'm a Ducati fanboy.

I have owned a '99 900SS, '03 999 (my avatar pic...killed that one at the track, my aching heart!), and currently own a '11 Multistrada.

I still lust for a 916/996 and a carbureted 9000SS.  And I will always miss my 999 with Termignoni exhaust and open clutch cover...such a mechanical symphony!  Alas, I had a front brake failure in turn 7 at Hallett Motorsports Park in Oklahoma.  I ran off track and had to ditch, rolled the bike several times and totaled her.  I came out without a bruise. 

That's what I'm talking about!  I have always had a special place in my heart for mechanical art, and Ducati's desmodromic bikes were included.  Given south Florida's drivers, and the fact that I lost two friends to them, I hung up my helmet long ago.  My last bike was a Seka 650 turbo - ancient history, as you probably know.

However, little did I know that I was destined to pick that helmet up again, as I am fortunate enough to own a C6 Z06, into which we shoehorned a 427 ZL-1 big block, in place of the LS7 small block (which I kept, in case of unlikely resale).  The car is a total widowmaker, going low 9s at just shy of 160 mph, ON MOTOR, no juice!  Obviously, that's with drag radials, and the benefit of south Florida's sea level air pressure.  The big block and roll cage added a little weight, but, better for traction.....

I wish you luck in acquiring your 16....forget another premium ship!   Oops, a little too OT at this point....

Peace, and stay safe!

IMG_0080.JPG

Edited by Rotten_Fish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
69
[GOSF]
Members
263 posts
3,609 battles
17 hours ago, ThumperD702 said:

I've bought a few sets of gifts (all three sizes) in the last couple of weeks, and the 20xMega Santa Gifts I bought today was a great haul.     In those 20, it tried to give me:  

1x Monaghan dd, 2x T-61 dd, and 2x Kii bb (I have all three of those already.)    I also got the 2000 doubloons safe x5, and 12,500 coal x1.   Three of the gifts were New Year Streamer camo (so 60 total.)    The other gifts were special flags.

So, my take out of this set was ~55,000 doubloons added to my account, five 10-pt captains in my reserve, some camo, and some great specialty signals.    Overall, I've been extremely satisfied with the cost/value of the gifts and I have no complaints for WG.     Obviously by the OP's experience, it doesn't always work out so well to the player's satisfaction.     

Happy New Year all!     :cap_horn:

Congratulations!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
69
[GOSF]
Members
263 posts
3,609 battles
20 hours ago, alex08060 said:

I’m just glad they also give coal for the arsenal, got me the  Musashi so worth it. Also gotten a number of Tier 8/7 ships that would have cost me more if I purchase it  separately. I actually gotten all 4 Italian ships. 

Can't go wrong with that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
263
[SRPH]
Members
1,012 posts
2,800 battles

I've never won a ship in any of the super contianers, free or purchased Black Friday crates, or free or purchased Santa crates, so even though you seem to have limited luck, it's better than mine!  I honestly don't value the camos or flags that much either, because results in battle determine their actual value and I mostly play Co-op, so they have even less value there.  At least the crates they sell over on Tanks have more value, either gold, premium time, special crew, premium tanks (much higher chance than a ship), and custom skins (only 4 of these and no dups) as well as completing festive levels for more special crew and other bonuses...they were totally worth it, and they cost less too!  Wish Warships would at least lower the cost on their crates...even the estimated dollar values that LWM worked out have very minimal return on your investment unless you score a ship, and assuming coal, flags and camos are worth it to you...some people already have so much it's a drop in the bucket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
69
[GOSF]
Members
263 posts
3,609 battles
5 minutes ago, Bonfor said:

I've never won a ship in any of the super contianers, free or purchased Black Friday crates, or free or purchased Santa crates, so even though you seem to have limited luck, it's better than mine!  I honestly don't value the camos or flags that much either, because results in battle determine their actual value and I mostly play Co-op, so they have even less value there.  At least the crates they sell over on Tanks have more value, either gold, premium time, special crew, premium tanks (much higher chance than a ship), and custom skins (only 4 of these and no dups) as well as completing festive levels for more special crew and other bonuses...they were totally worth it, and they cost less too!  Wish Warships would at least lower the cost on their crates...even the estimated dollar values that LWM worked out have very minimal return on your investment unless you score a ship, and assuming coal, flags and camos are worth it to you...some people already have so much it's a drop in the bucket.

Egg-zactly, thank you!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×