You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Avrova1904

Your favourite destroyer line?

22 comments in this topic

Members
342 posts
6,004 battles

Hi,

Which is your favourite destroyer line and why? I am playing with japanese destroyers and starting with german line, probably not the best choices.

Members
939 posts
6,723 battles
27 minutes ago, Avrova1904 said:

Hi,

Which is your favourite destroyer line and why? I am playing with japanese destroyers and starting with german line, probably not the best choices.

The US is my favorite till now. 

I do likebthe Daring too... unfortunately MM always puts me the worst teams possible when I take the Daring out.

Also I like IJN gunboat line. Harugumo is awesome

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,759 posts
5,814 battles

My favourite DD line is the IJN original torpedo boat line. Because I'm like this racoon...

1b95by.jpg

Gunboating is nice too but there's no better maniacal feeling than playing an Asashio and watching a BB gradually getting closer and closer to your instant kill dev strike torp salvo.

Members
104 posts
11,064 battles

I’ve completed the IJN and US lines and I’m up to tier 8 on RN and PA.  Frankly, I love them all, but that’s why I’m a DD main. They can all give amazing performances, in different ways. Learning multiple lines has helped my overall DD play, as has playing BB and CL. For example, I use guns a lot more on IJN after having to wean myself off of torpedos on the lower tier US DD.  And when I play BB/CL I always think about what the DD ahead of me needs. 

With the gun buff to IJN, it remains my favorite line.  I enjoy being on the front, capping and spotting.  I enjoy the stealth game.  And, I enjoy unleashing a well timed torp spread for a dev strike.  

[WOLF2]
Members
563 posts
14,752 battles

I’m not a great DD player but I’ve run all lines to tier 10 except RN which is at t9 currently.  My favorites to play are German and RN.  I also love Gearing 16.5 torps with torp acceleration and the Grozovoi.  Again....I’m not that good in them,  but I have a lot of fun failing in them.  And sometimes I fool everyone and have a great game in them even though I suck.

[ICOP]
Members
1,042 posts
15,230 battles

I think IJN is a great place to start with DDs, myself. If you can understand the concealment game well, you will find DD play much more satisfying in any DD line, imo. For some it will come down to whether you like guns more than torps or vice versa. Myself, I really no longer have a favorite line, though I have played a lot more IJN than anything else. I now have favorite ships in each line, each of which I like for different reasons.

Respects,

Am

[PVE]
Members
9,992 posts
18,205 battles
1 hour ago, Avrova1904 said:

Hi,

I have reached T10 in all of them. Start to finish the US line is the best IMO. Most versatile top to bottom and just good overall JOAT's. They aren't always the best single DD at the tier but for the line I think they are best. Good torps, good guns, good concealment, etc...

• Cool 1

Members
3,936 posts
4,205 battles

Used to be the RU DD line because I liked the pure gunboat aspect of them, but now I like the US dds which can do everything with Pan-Asia coming in second. Since they kinda feel the same so far. They just can't torpedo fellow DDs. 

Edited by Yoshiblue

Members
310 posts
6,861 battles

My favorite destroyer line is Poland! Because there can be only ONE!:Smile_playing:

there-can-be-only-one.jpg

Members
1,258 posts
15,956 battles

I've had a lot of fun with the German DDs. They have a good mix of torps and guns. IJN and USN DDs are usable once you get used to their individual style differences. The only line I didn't like were the Russians...good guns but crap for torps.

Of course you probably shouldn't listen to advice from someone who doesn't really like DD play. I play them because to put together the best fleet possible an Admiral needs to know the capabilities of all the ships.

[CSALT]
Members
1,380 posts

I don't know that I have a favorite line, rather favorite ships across the lines.  In the IJN I enjoy the Fubuki amd Asashio.  The Leningrad is a hoot to scoot around in.  The Gallant is still a good ride even if the RN DD line has taken it's uniqueness.  The Terrible is so much out and out fun to play, like driving a Ferrari.  The Kidd can play havoc with a CV and thr heal really is handy.  I still have the Nicoholas in my port when I want to go visit the Tier 5 maps.  The German and PA linea feel like tricked out USN DDs to me.

[WORX]
Members
6,436 posts
16,189 battles

up-to tier 6  DDs all nations are fun (except the PA-DD line, DWT is the worst idea for the line).

From tier 7 and above the upper tier DD meta changes from offensive to more support role of Spotting/capping. Now you can be offensive role but its more of luck and positioning then anything else.

SINCE,  My play style is totally different from the tier 10 Meta, I really stay away from upper tier DD game play.

Tier 4-6 DD play, I like the Brits, IJN, and German DD lines. Very wonderful matches in those tiers. 

[FML]
Members
3,161 posts
13,501 battles
4 hours ago, Avrova1904 said:

Hi,

I have quite liked the USN DD line - no truly bad destroyers in that line, and all are general-purpose and fun ships to play. 

[ARMDG]
Members
967 posts
3,736 battles

I like the RN DDs the best because that's what I started with. I enjoy how they always have to be on the move because of their short smoke duration and their  "front line" gameplay.

Members
1,059 posts
6,033 battles

USN has no bad ships (as long as you have CE and aren't using the stock hull... the maneuverability is top notch, there are AA options, and fletcher+ torps sting.

RN is amazing. Lightning is super stealthy. Jutland has heal. Lots of 360 degree turning guns, plenty of torps, doesn't bleed speed on turns, and they turn so well you're surprised you don't torp yourself. 

I tried IJN but didn't like depending on torps... and their gunboats seem to maneuver poorly.

KM seems too reliant on its AP.

RU seems like trash until khab.

[ARMDG]
Members
967 posts
3,736 battles
1 hour ago, destawaits said:

I like the RN DDs the best because that's what I started with. I enjoy how they always have to be on the move because of their short smoke duration and their  "front line" gameplay.

Forgot to mention that they're able to achieve this through British maneuverability and defensive hydro.

[90TH]
Members
1,096 posts
9,811 battles

IJN, both lines, no contest.

Like Amracil pointed out, concealment mechanics are the heart of DD play, and the IJN torp boats are the purest embodiment of this. I recently had an Asashio game where I never fired a shot, yet I completely controlled our side of the map for our team with smoke, spotting, and “fleet-in-being” threats. Ok, I was near the bottom of the XP chart, but IMHO I was easily the most influential ship in the game. Gunboats are maybe better for BB and CA mains to transition to DD play, but the torp boats are where it’s at for me. But even if you want to take the gunboat route, Akizuki/Kitakaze/Harugumo are the superior options for their respective tiers.