Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Waxing_Gibbous

The Fletcher...

15 comments in this topic

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,108 posts
4,889 battles
6 minutes ago, Abides said:

Is it the closest thing we have to perfection in this game?

BCNBwbG.png

That sounds about right. I thought the Gearing was a total downgrade compared to the crazy I was able to pull off in the Fletcher.

[WOLF1]
Members
4,738 posts
2,228 battles
1 minute ago, Yoshiblue said:

Fletcher is pretty amazing, yeah.  

It was pretty good in real life, too.  

[RKLES]
Members
10,752 posts
12,377 battles
26 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

That sounds about right. I thought the Gearing was a total downgrade compared to the crazy I was able to pull off in the Fletcher.

As somebody who has had great success with stealth torping and then using guns as secondary means of attack in DDs, the Gearing works well for that. But for guns as the primary means of attack you could certainly have a good point there.

[WOLF3]
Members
22,444 posts
20,530 battles

Gearing's okay, she has a lot of gunpower in better angles / profiles.  Bow on, she presents a tremendous amount of gunpower that other DDs need to show sides to equal or surpass.  She has her normal torps and the option to use Fletcher's.  The thing I hate with Gearing is how sluggish she is in maneuvering and how large she is.  She's BIG.  She's easy to hit, and I say that mostly from someone that does more Cruisers and Battleships than Destroyers.

IMO, Fletcher strikes a very good balance of traits hard to capture in DDs.

Stealthy.

Fast & Maneuverable.

Good Torpedoes.

Useful Smoke.

Capable guns that are fast to respond to a drastically changing situation.

Room for expansion into AA capacity (we'll see how that holds up with the CV Rework, won't we?).

Not a gargantuan DD like "Rising out of the water" Gearing and Grozovoi.

The only thing she doesn't do well is gunboat at range.  Anything else, torp boating, scouting / probing the caps, etc, she's great in.

She's so good that some people consider Gearing a sidegrade.  Some even a downgrade.

1 hour ago, mavfin87 said:

It was pretty good in real life, too.  

We built a shipload of them too! :Smile_trollface:  175 of these bad boys.  These weren't knock off, low cost, low performance, easy to build DDEs.  These were capable Fleet Destroyers.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLF1]
Members
4,738 posts
2,228 battles
4 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

We built a shipload of them too! :Smile_trollface:

She was built as a response or answer to the IJN 2000-ton Kageros and the rebuilt Fubukis and pretty much turned out to be damned useful ships.

Gearing's 3 twins, iirc, was built to add more AA capacity and more capacity for smaller AA.  Basically, the war had changed for the US Navy by then.

[SCTFB]
Beta Testers
4,108 posts
17,819 battles

I am going to go out on a limb and say it was the best DD class of WW2 

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
1,149 posts
4,464 battles

Well if they ever give the Gearing it's proper hull model and a mobility buff it should have... Then people will forgot about ole Fletchy...

[O7]
Beta Testers
1,575 posts
9,542 battles

The Fletcher was my first true joy in the game. 

Members
2,844 posts
6,422 battles

Did well in Fletcher, doing better in Chung Mu. Stealth torps for everyone but DDs. Radar and guns for them. Working for the Black. Radar and smoke? Oh my!

Have the Kidd, but with one torp launcher, I can’t make it work, not with the heavy radar nonsense going on Now. 

Edited by Thornir

[PSP]
Members
10,014 posts

Unlike many tier IXs, the Fletcher handles tier X matches with ease. However, I still prefer the Gearing. Primarily this is because the Gearing is tanker and can torp with impunity while staying well clear of radar.  With the legendary upgrade the Gearing is also more stealthy. The Gearing has one more gun, with four mounted up front, versus the Fletcher's two front mounts, though the Fletcher may be able to kite a bit better with its three rear mounts. About the only thing that the Fletcher surpasses the Gearing at is nimbleness and a slightly (5 second) shorter torpedo reload (if both are using the Fletcher's torpedoes). That's not saying that the Fletcher is bad, and it may also be more configurable than the Gearing. I play both and am about equally as bad with both. :Smile_veryhappy:

Members
2,475 posts
86 battles

Its quintuple torpedo launchers reload too fast when compared to other quintuple launchers. Heck it even reloads faster than some quadruple launchers.

Sign in to follow this