Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CTMAADawson

DM Donskoi/T9-T10 tips

8 comments in this topic

[AK]
Members
296 posts
7,806 battles

So I recently bought my first T9 cruiser, the DM Donskoi. It's probably cuz I'm so inexperienced right now but I'm getting murdered every match. If I'm not THE first to die, I'm usually 2nd or 3rd in line. Somehow it seems I always get flanked or I get spotted while turning and get deleted by citadel hits. My w/l rate is 2-8. I'd rather not be an anchor to my team's success. Any advice on how to survive and thrive in T9-10 matches? Or is it all just painful practice?

[RED]
Members
249 posts
11,515 battles

Stay at range ( I got the range extender upgrade) and burn BBs with HE, IFHE works well early on in the match. Kite away when engaged and use AP on broadside CA/ CLs support DDs in caps at Max range with radar. I drive mine similar to an Henri.

i think it’s more of the same as the preceding ships.

Edited by custer_14

[DANKY]
Members
728 posts
2,066 battles

Just remember that everyone who can see you will make you priority target #1 if there’s no DDs in sight. Your AP can wreck cruisers, your HE hits a sweet spot between ROF, DPM, fire % and penetration that drives BBs nuts, your torps are a legitimate threat to everyone and your radar can reach halfway across the map. Spend the first third of the game trying to contribute without showing vulnerable bits to half the enemy team. By the 5-8 minute mark you’ll know where to position yourself so you can safely make the reds’ lives miserable. 

Edited by Eugenie_101

[CSALT]
Members
1,380 posts

Definitely not a brawling cruiser, at least not in the first 10 minutes.  Patience and diligence are key with this ship.  Hang around the BBs for the start of the battle and push when they push without gettint in front of them.  Focus on cruisers and chasing DDs later in the battle.

[-D-S-]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,084 posts
8,011 battles

Some *really* liked this ship, I didn't.

Donskoi is your typical long-range HE spammer that has the gun power to blow out other cruiser citadels at a decent range when needed.  Due to her outrageous turning circle and typical squishy cruiser broadside (nothing like turtleback or spaced to help) you only want to charge in when chasing DDs with your Radar but you must make sure you don't get beat up by any of his friend(s) on that flank.  Typically I just didn't push unless I knew I could get into  a 1 vs 1 or it was late game.

I hated the ship.  Free exp'ed after the first third of the grind, which is funny because I ended up not really playing my Moskva much anyways.  (And probably need to now that I have improved as a player greatly from a bit over a year ago meh)

[NDA]
Supertester
5,296 posts
16,120 battles

The Donkey is probably my favorite T9 cruiser. But instead of writing a long piece on how I play Donskoi watch this video. 

This is still the most damage I've done with a Cruiser. 

Members
552 posts

As others have mentioned, you hang out at range and try not to be the focal point of the red BBs. Your job is to set fire to BBs and cruisers, and, while you have radar, you aren't really a DD hunter because your concealment is relatively high for a cruiser. This is the Russian tech tree play style in a nutshell: annoy at a distance and set fire to things. 

Members
2,302 posts
10,644 battles

You can’t expect to do well on this ship stock. The long rudder shift + low hp pool + terrible range + terrible damage make her a terrible ship.

Focus on getting the B Hull first, then go improves range. It’ll make you much more durable.

Also, get IFHE (if you don’t mind respeccing the captain once you get Moskva). Donskoi’s 7” aren’t enough to contest 32mm armor without IFHE. IFHE will greatly improve damage output.

Apart from that, try to stay at range in the beginning?

I still don’t think it’s any problem with you though, I ended up likin my Donskoi, but I remember she was a real pickle of a ship stock.

Sign in to follow this