You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
RagingxMarmoset

Did anyone have a good experience with USS Seattle?

28 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
Members
1,649 posts
2,806 battles

I'm about 60,000xp from unlocking her and I'd like to hear from some folks who maybe had a decent time with the grind. I've read the horror stories, but I'm hoping it's not all bad. Please tell me it's not all bad.

[INTEL]
Members
3,301 posts
17,971 battles
7 minutes ago, hawaii92 said:

My good experience with the Seattle was selling it and buying the Wooster.

Yep.  Got about half way through the grind and FXP the rest.

[NG-NL]
Members
6,259 posts
10,088 battles

It's a T9 CL, so it's not very forgiving. You have to position well and use a lot of island cover, supporting your team's DDs and hoping the BBs move in to tank. In the open Seattle will take AP damage from even heavy cruisers easily. MB rotates slow enough that it can be annoying and the shell flight time can make you throw your keyboard.

That said, Seattle is very dangerous:

1) Similar improved AP auto-bounce as Buffalo. The shell arcs mean the plunging fire works as close as 10km away. Done it a few times, even BBs can be melted under that AP rain. Her RoF is perfect for this.

2) Very thin citadel armor means BBs are hard-pressed to cit you reliably even through front. I've had this frustration a lot in my BBs.

3) High shell arcs, with practice, can be used to light CR/BB sterns

4) At close ranges, her AP and RoF make her a serious threat to any cruiser caught broadside. DDs are surprisingly vulnerable to this as well. There's a reason I do not approach a Seattle in my DDs unless have no choice.

5) For some reason her MB is very hard to incapacitate

In short, she's just very specialized, but shines in that small area.

Members
806 posts
7,027 battles

Nope, the Seattle was an unpleasant grind. I performed better in the Cleveland. Being forced to show full broadside to use all your guns is one of my biggest pet peeves for ships in this game. This is exacerbated by the Seattle's fast rate of fire. 

Members
6,754 posts
21,151 battles
29 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

I'm about 60,000xp from unlocking her and I'd like to hear from some folks who maybe had a decent time with the grind. I've read the horror stories, but I'm hoping it's not all bad. Please tell me it's not all bad.

like any ship, you have to play to its strengths. It is a great ship. you must have at least a 14 pt captain for IFHE. the thing that makes the Seattle less desirable is the steroid induced Woohtscancer above it and fan fav Cleveland below it. If this ship was in another tree peeps would like it....I think.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts

The Seattle is OK. It has lots of guns and they are relatively rapid firing. It's "squishy" but all the CLs are. The Worcester is squishy too -- I seem to get deleted by the first ship that fires on me if I let anything even get the chance. You can't tank damage like you could in the old tier VI Cleveland. However, I spend an inordinate amount of time recently trying to kill a Seattle with a Des Moines as he was wiggling all over the place. He did a whale of a lot of damage to me before I finally got him sunk. Make sure you have IFHE and hide behind islands.

[-SF-]
Members
317 posts
5,075 battles

I enjoyed the Seattle a hell of alot more than the Cleveland, though all I've really read were bad things about the ship. Set the bar low for me so I was pleasantly surprised. 

Members
563 posts
16,124 battles

Seattle was one that I hated most of my time playing, but had a lot of good games in it.  58% win rate when I sold it.  I didn’t do the island parking thing in it much, I found it more effective to kite with.   It can put a good deal of hurt on enemies in a short time.  I think I didn’t like it because it IS quite squishy and can get deleted very easily.  It’s worth the downsides though because that bright, shiny War-Chester waits at the end of the grind.  It’s a little nerve wracking in its own right but is a far better ship overall.

[-BUI-]
Members
2,388 posts
6,384 battles
51 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

I dunno why anyone would play nearly any of the Tier 9's, the 10 variants are almost always vastly superior and they play in the same matches (and the matches you see 66% of the time in T8)

Tier 9 is for spending FXP to get to Tier 10 and little else.

If WG would listen to my suggestion (ha, fat chance) and make T10 its own thing by itself, then Tier 9 would become a very fun tier to play, but as it stands, there is literally zero reason to play any of them (there might be 1-2 that are worth using, that I am not aware off, but i doubt it).

Members
2,352 posts
32,363 battles

When I play her it seems she should do very well.  Fast reload, low profil in the water, etc.  But I just couldn't make her work. 

I have real problems with the Cleveland too.  But the Wooster!  That ship I do comparatively well in, and really enjoy.  For some reason I play her better than the Des Moines, which I never even came close to mastering and will not play except for snowflakey stuff.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,752 posts
15,286 battles

FXP-ing Seattle for about 170k was the best FXP I've ever spent in the game.

• Cool 1

Members
107 posts
23,906 battles

Hi!

I didnt have the credits for both seattle and wooster.  So I earned some fxp and just skipped the seattle and unlocked the wooster with the free xp.   And bought the worcester.  My impression of seattle is just an upgraded cleveland.

Members
178 posts
3,560 battles

My first TT t8 was cleve, seattle seems so depressing but the closest to advancing t9. I even have the cleve art deco monstrosity camo yet i dont want to leave. 

So seattle is like a t9 New Orleans ?

Members
2,304 posts
10,989 battles

Once I was detonated at the start by a single Iowa salvo so I didn’t have to suffer through playing a game with her.

Most fun match I ever had in that ship.