You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Rabin69

Des Moines/Salem Auto Loaders...

16 comments in this topic

[SHAFT]
Members
700 posts
14,928 battles

Not sure if anyone ever shared this before, but came across this video last night while just browsing You Tube.

Actually amazed that they could actually fire a round every six seconds in reality and could be used as anti-air. 

Well, just thought I share for those other history ship nerds out there, a bit long but enjoy folks.

• Cool 9

[BEARS]
Beta Testers
237 posts
7,260 battles

Excellent video explaining the intricacies of the gun turrets.   thank you very much.

• Cool 1

[BUN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,534 posts
4,294 battles

having seen those guns up close on Salem, they are a marvel of engineering. Its why the Des Moines class was the apex predator of heavy cruisers. 
They could spit out a broadside weight of 30,150 lbs/minute compared to an Iowa's 48,600 lbs/minute (both counted up using Navweaps and both ship's heaviest AP shells.)
Not too far off and adjusting fire on the fly is pretty easy when you have that volume of fire. 

• Cool 2

[RLGN]
Members
12,037 posts
21,571 battles

Been to see the Salem in Quincy, MA, and one of the docents was the one who first showed me the part about the 8" autoloaders.

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Members
700 posts
14,928 battles
6 minutes ago, Sledgehammer427 said:

having seen those guns up close on Salem, they are a marvel of engineering. Its why the Des Moines class was the apex predator of heavy cruisers. 
They could spit out a broadside weight of 30,150 lbs/minute compared to an Iowa's 48,600 lbs/minute (both counted up using Navweaps and both ship's heaviest AP shells.)
Not too far off and adjusting fire on the fly is pretty easy when you have that volume of fire. 

Cool, must have been quite the experience.

Anyone else notice that they indicated that the turrets had radar when laying out the assignments?

Last question, would they have dedicated crew members to clear the spent powder casings from the deck or would they just roll off into the ocean?

I wouldn't want to be anywhere close to the outside of those guns when they started humming.

[BUN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,534 posts
4,294 battles
16 minutes ago, Rabin69 said:

Last question, would they have dedicated crew members to clear the spent powder casings from the deck or would they just roll off into the ocean?

I wouldn't want to be anywhere close to the outside of those guns when they started humming.

I recall reading in The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors that Damage Control parties, if there was nothing to fix, would roam the deck and kick spent casings off the sides of destroyers until something broke that needed fixing. On Salem the 3" AA guns had special chutes and scuppers in the gun tubs that would essentially toss any spent shell off the side automatically (because having a bunch of 3" shells rolling around in the bottom of your tub would play absolute hell with your ammo carriers, whose job it is to walk around the mount and feed shells to the loader on the mount itself. EDIT:After a couple minutes of continuous firing without any way to clear spent brass you get a trip/fall hazard that OSHA would have a field day over) 
On the 8"ers the ejector under the gun has a basket hanging below it that would catch the shells. The mounting points are still on Salem and the baskets are visible on the DM in-game. Otherwise if the basket was not present the ejector has a pretty good kick to it and as long as the guns aren't trained over the bow, the ejector would clear the casing pretty much all the way to the stanchions.   

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
10,014 posts

Having served in the artillery, I can really appreciate the technology. I can see why it's not implemented for field artillery though -- too much weight for a self-propelled or towed field artillery piece.

• Cool 1

[XBRTC]
Members
2,995 posts
9,698 battles
2 hours ago, Rabin69 said:

Anyone else notice that they indicated that the turrets had radar when laying out the assignments?

Those are used to measure the velocity of outgoing rounds. Last round's velocity is used to adjust the trajectory of the next round.  Same thing is used today.

2 hours ago, Sledgehammer427 said:

On the 8"ers the ejector under the gun has a basket hanging below it that would catch the shells. The mounting points are still on Salem and the baskets are visible on the DM in-game. Otherwise if the basket was not present the ejector has a pretty good kick to it and as long as the guns aren't trained over the bow, the ejector would clear the casing pretty much all the way to the stanchions.   

The shell casings aren't reloaded, so there's really no reason to keep the shells onboard. The reason that they were caught in the basket was to protect the deck. When shell casings get spit out forward, they tend to land with a nice sharp cutting edge facing down, and they chew up the deck. Today, it's no big deal: repairing nonskid just gives bosun's mates something to do. Back then, with teak decks? That's a bit more of a problem.

2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Having served in the artillery, I can really appreciate the technology. I can see why it's not implemented for field artillery though -- too much weight for a self-propelled or towed field artillery piece.

PzH-2000 would like to talk to you about that.

• Cool 1

[LWA]
Members
793 posts
11,971 battles
6 hours ago, Rabin69 said:

Not sure if anyone ever shared this before, but came across this video last night while just browsing You Tube.

Actually amazed that they could actually fire a round every six seconds in reality and could be used as anti-air. 

Well, just thought I share for those other history ship nerds out there, a bit long but enjoy folks.

Here is another use for those guns......

DM W33 atomic projectile.jpg

• Cool 1

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
1,146 posts
4,464 battles
24 minutes ago, db4100 said:

Here is another use for those guns......

DM W33 atomic projectile.jpg

Wargaming please implement this... Will give up radar for it...

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Members
700 posts
14,928 battles

Would love for an Admin to sticky this thread for a week PLEASE. Its such an interesting insight into the tech that was available at/during WW2.

Sometimes I feel that the current Gen feels they are the innovators but imho the true drivers of what we call modern tech were born between 1895 and 1965.

So much of what we take for granted were created by the gen that lived through the great wars. Man, honestly I think I was born two generations too late, take me back to when their were Giants walking amongst us.

Not a US/Canadian/British citizen, but I am always grateful to those who served and died defending us in WW2. I enjoy my life because of those Great Souls who gave the Ultimate Sacrifice so that we can all enjoy freedom.

• Cool 1

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,117 posts
10,577 battles
8 hours ago, Rabin69 said:

It would be nice if you shared this with @Pigeon_of_War in prospect of Des Moines and Salem's main batteries being upgraded to duel purpose.

[S0L0]
Members
1,445 posts
7,009 battles
7 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

The Swedes managed to put a 6" version on tracks...

Matt

Edited by mobryan

[PSP]
Members
10,014 posts
8 minutes ago, mobryan said:

The Swedes managed to put a 6" version on tracks...

Matt

Under ideal road conditions those things are probably pretty amazing. However, I've helped to dig out enough stuck guns to know that conditions are not always ideal and the more weight a gun has the more it's going to get stuck. That thing weighed 52 metric tons, twice what our artillery weighed.