You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

Now I remember why I sold my Nurnberg

25 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
3,336 posts
10,264 battles

Back when I first reach T6 I got a Nurnberg because my son did good with his. As soon as I earn the credits & XP I sold it for the Yorck. My son uses his Nurnberg in ops only.

One stage of the Mighty Prinz Campaign is sinking 5 ships in random or ranked battles. This stage has proven to be very frustrating, only 2 ships sunk after many matches. I do better with my DD's. It seems I have a big giant target on my ship with "Here I am shoot me 1st" lights flashing.  I know part of the problem is I play mostly coops & ops, which are much different than randoms but I'm doing much better on all my other ships in random battles.

I'm not sure what are the better tactics for this ship.  It doesn't play like any other cruiser I have. Any suggestions would be helpful.

[PLPT]
Members
214 posts
9,961 battles

That ship is one of everyone's favorite exp pinatas. It is easy to citadel, very easy, so it attracts a lot of unwanted attention. Stay at near max range, and do what you can, especially early on, and especially if you are bottom tier. You never want to be the only target for the enemy to shoot at, so don't travel alone, or be out front.

Pretend you are a nervous squirrel...with anxiety...and hypochondria. 

Edited by Zairinzan
  • Funny 3

[TDRB]
Members
3,336 posts
10,264 battles
3 minutes ago, Zairinzan said:

That ship is one of everyone's favorite exp pinatas. It is easy to citadel, very easy, so it attracts a lot of unwanted attention. Stay at near max range, and do what you can, especially early on, and especially if you are bottom tier. You never want to be the only target for the enemy to shoot at, so don't travel alone, or be out front.

Pretend you are a nervous squirrel...with anxiety...and hypochondria. 

Thanks, I'll give it a try. One thing for sure, I can't do much worse.

[PLPT]
Members
214 posts
9,961 battles

Wouldn't hurt to watch this either, it's an older video, so some things will have changed, but the basics will still apply. Good luck <o

Edited by Zairinzan

[WOLF2]
Members
334 posts
6,381 battles
12 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

Thanks, I'll give it a try. One thing for sure, I can't do much worse.

I was having the same problem and then I acted like the squirrel and got two 100k games with 2 and 3 kills in it. Hang back and burn ships at max range at the start, only close with destroyers and CVS at the end, stay far away from bbs at all times and actively maneuver

[RLGN]
Members
12,054 posts
21,616 battles
37 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

I'm not sure what are the better tactics for this ship.  It doesn't play like any other cruiser I have. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Nurnburg is like Konigsburg, Myogi, Makarov, and Roon, perfectly set up to run away, I mean kite.

Love the whole lot of them.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 1

[WULUF]
Members
1,006 posts

I totally love the Konigsburg, its not that much different from the Nurnberg.

It was an average ship... till I got IFHE for her... now she really rocks...

The entire German cruiser line is mostly good.

• Cool 1

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
284 posts
10,692 battles

Two options, kite and burn. or ambush and torp for those 5 kills. I get bored fast, I dont like the ship, so just ambushed and got the 5 kills in 4 battles... 3 of which we lost, but mission accomplished.

[WOLF3]
Members
22,454 posts
20,530 battles

Kiting is what she's best at.  K-/N-Berg are the same way.  Even Roon in Tier IX is the same way.

Don't fight where you're alone and easy to pick out as a juicy target.  Fight as long a range as you can because the Tier VII-VIII BBs in her tier bracket get increasingly dangerous in their accuracy and power at range.  You need to be far to make it harder for them to hit.  Even then, not all those BB players are idiots and some of those dudes do know how to aim and those are the ones that will jack you over hard.  Hell, even other Cruisers, CAs in particular, will smash your Citadel.  In Tier VI, Pensacola, Aoba will crush your armor.  Let's not even get into what Tier VII-VIII Cruisers can do to you given the chance.

Also recognize that this CL is ***super squishy***.  You better recognize an opportune time to do a turn safely, because if you're doing a turn and someone is eyeing you, rest assured, he's got a salvo waiting for you as you're fully committed to the turn.

If there's islands, torpedo ambushes are feasible but there is a real chance you get instantly deleted by a BB as soon as you emerge.  You better be smart and quick about this.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[GWG]
Members
6,505 posts

I ground half way to the Yourck just getting those 5 kills.

Torpedo range is 6KM...   Never had a chance to fire them.

[TDRB]
Members
3,336 posts
10,264 battles

Thanks for all the help. I survived longer, did more damage, received a couple of battle achievements and sunk several ships. Also thanks to my teammates, they were great too.

• Cool 2

[BNKR]
Members
539 posts
3,426 battles

Good to hear you're doing better in it.

She's great a kiting away and burning everything to the ground. As you know, just don't get shot. :Smile_teethhappy:

I averaged more than 50k damage a game in mine. No idea how. :Smile_amazed:

[BNKR]
Members
2,060 posts
1,649 battles

Haven't got the Nurnberg, currently halfway through the Konigsberg.  K-berg is one of my favorite ships to play, though.  Not sure why, but she just seems to click with me.

[CMFRT]
Members
10,451 posts

I love both 'bergs.

And when it's one of those tier V+ missions that needs citadels, they're my go-to ships to grind cits -- flat-firing fast-firing guns with working AP. 

[PVE]
Members
721 posts
7,346 battles
28 minutes ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

Haven't got the Nurnberg, currently halfway through the Konigsberg.  K-berg is one of my favorite ships to play, though.  Not sure why, but she just seems to click with me.

If you haven't played her in coop I'd recommend taking her there a few times too. One of my favorites, especially when lots of Omaha's around to citadel.

[CLARE]
Members
561 posts
56 minutes ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

It's the guns.  Accurate and 6s reload, just can not beat the combo.

Members
76 posts
4,172 battles

I got through the Nurnberg by using it exclusively at the recent rank battle. It did very well and I love the ship. Somehow I did best in cruisers which are squishy and need kiting. The old Pensacola and the Nurnberg. The trick is to keep track of all bbs and battle cruiser who can delete you; either use some cover or on the other side of their turret. Remember to stay out of detection range all the time, not necessary at max distance, so you can disengage at will. Pick your fight.  And remember you have a very fast reload so it's your job to kill dds at the start.

[RLGN]
Members
12,054 posts
21,616 battles
18 minutes ago, liangshepherd said:

Pick your fight.  And remember you have a very fast reload so it's your job to kill dds at the start.

If cover is good I’ll often try to push up close to make it easier to hammer destroyers in support of my own, and that can put me in a good position to run from bigger things, or possibly to shoot AP into broadsides.

[WOLFX]
Members
241 posts
11,058 battles
17 hours ago, Zairinzan said:

That ship is one of everyone's favorite exp pinatas. It is easy to citadel, very easy, so it attracts a lot of unwanted attention. S

???

I admit I've only got 9 battles in mine, but the Nürnberg feels quite tanky to me. Then again, most of my cruiser experience is in the USA CL line, so I may have a low bar for what feels tanky.

Members
552 posts

I had long since sold mine and moved on to the Hindenburg, but always remember the "exploding Nurenberg" jokes made by Jingles and other contributors. Playing it again after getting a free one via the campaign was interesting, mostly because I am somewhat less awful now than when I started out. 

Members
432 posts
8,242 battles

I ranked out in Nurnberg on both my accounts. Like most cruisers, it's a strong ship if played right and a death trap if just flung out into the midst.

Use islands to get in close and to shield you from those pesky BBs. When the time is right, use the superior hydro and RoF to get those pesky DDs in their smoke and detect the incoming walls of skill. When all else fails, use the superior RoF to shoot over mountains and burn all things. Don't forget to punish the occasional unlucky broadside cruiser with your AP. When all else fails, kite until you can't

[JHF]
Members
370 posts
6,061 battles

It's those 360 degree turrets combined with the sonar that makes the bergs feel good when rushing DD's.... but you have to dodge incoming AP fire and choose your open water shots, very carefully (really need to master the art of going undetected while paying close attention to BB's gun directions and fire cooldowns). A BB AP volley can waste you regardless of the angle, as well as AP from heavy Cruisers. 

(and umm Dodging AP closer than 10km, is usually not gonna happen.)