Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Oka_Ruto

Ship Suggestion- HMS Campania

4 comments in this topic

Members
9 posts
666 battles

HMS Campania was built in 1893 as an ocean liner for Cunard Line. She was converted into one of the world's first aircraft carriers during WWI. She was equipped with four float planes.

I think she would have some real in game potential as a tier 3 premium British CV.  I think her very limited air group could balance nicely with the weak AA of the beginning tiers. She would be something like Mikasa as a tier 2 BB. Mostly just there for fun and could offer some very interesting mechanics.

IMG_1051.JPG

Members
4,546 posts

Interesting, but I can see some long waiting times, as it might not be balanced if one team has it and the other doesn't.  Especially considering it would be the only T3 carrier.

Members
3,679 posts
8,111 battles

the problem is, the ship isn't a real fully functional carrier in the traditional sense. Judging from the picture, the ship doesn't seem to be capable of recovering aircraft on its own. The ship should be experimental in nature rather than being a ship of military usage.

Members
9 posts
666 battles
8 hours ago, The_first_harbinger said:

the problem is, the ship isn't a real fully functional carrier in the traditional sense. Judging from the picture, the ship doesn't seem to be capable of recovering aircraft on its own. The ship should be experimental in nature rather than being a ship of military usage.

All of this is true to some degree. The ship did actually sail with the British fleet, however she was more used to Scout with her planes and I'm not sure if they ever entered combat directly. From what I've seen the planes were at least theoretically capable of dropping bombs. She would recover the aircraft by hoisting them back aboard once the landed next to the ship in the water (floatplanes). Due two the longer relaunching time for the aircraft and the air group's limited nature, I was hoping it would be more balanced for lower tiers. It was suggested the ship have two squadrons of two dive bombers perhaps? 

Hopefully the limits imposed wouldn't lead to horrible wait times.

Sign in to follow this