Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
beetlebug515

I can't be the only one...

27 comments in this topic

[FSA]
Members
5 posts
2,646 battles

After spending a day with North Carolina, I have to say that for me it is 100% unadulterated hot garbage. The guns are terrible. I have better accuracy with Bismarck. I keep seeing rave reviews about how good the ship is, but when the shells are that slow its impossible to hit anything. A Baltimore parked in front of me at 9km broadside, shelles in front of and behind and zero hits. Almost every shot is like this. And if you do get a hit it's almost always at the stern of the ship because there isnt enough room on the screen for all of the lead you need to take!! So what's the answer? Play closer? The armor and secondaries suck. So that's out. Spam HE? I've seen NC players do that before and now it makes sense. Myself, i refuse to sit in the back of the map. Sell the ship and stop with US ships altogether? Most likely. I really do think that people only like North Carolina so much because it's faster than Colorado. It's got good AA, good concealment, rudder shift is still slow, speed is still low, turret traverse is still slow. Same caliber guns as Colorado with worse accuracy. I'll most likely be selling it soon. All I hear from people is "dont show broadside". Never "you cant do any damage because by the time the shells get there your enemy has turned and went home, ate dinner, and came back". Sorry to rant, but this ship sucks. Hopefully there are another round of bluffs for USN BB's that fix the shell velocity.

• Funny 3
  • Bad 3

[-GS-]
Beta Testers
2,295 posts
19,878 battles
59 minutes ago, beetlebug515 said:

After spending a day with North Carolina, I have to say that for me it is 100% unadulterated hot garbage. The guns are terrible. I have better accuracy with Bismarck. I keep seeing rave reviews about how good the ship is, but when the shells are that slow its impossible to hit anything. A Baltimore parked in front of me at 9km broadside, shelles in front of and behind and zero hits. Almost every shot is like this. And if you do get a hit it's almost always at the stern of the ship because there isnt enough room on the screen for all of the lead you need to take!! So what's the answer? Play closer? The armor and secondaries suck. So that's out. Spam HE? I've seen NC players do that before and now it makes sense. Myself, i refuse to sit in the back of the map. Sell the ship and stop with US ships altogether? Most likely. I really do think that people only like North Carolina so much because it's faster than Colorado. It's got good AA, good concealment, rudder shift is still slow, speed is still low, turret traverse is still slow. Same caliber guns as Colorado with worse accuracy. I'll most likely be selling it soon. All I hear from people is "dont show broadside". Never "you cant do any damage because by the time the shells get there your enemy has turned and went home, ate dinner, and came back". Sorry to rant, but this ship sucks. Hopefully there are another round of bluffs for USN BB's that fix the shell velocity.

You joking ,  Right   ? ? ? ? ?

[PLPT]
Members
826 posts
7,950 battles

I don’t like it at all, either, even though I’m fine with other slow-velocity US shells like the cruiser line.  Lots of people do say it takes a long time to get used to NC, and by that time, you’ve ground the Iowa...

[O_O]
Members
4,854 posts
10,662 battles

It isn't the ship.

North Carolina is considered by many to be the first good battleship in the US line.  I disagree, because I think New Mexico has that distinction.

Anyway, you must be doing something wrong.  North Carolina's accuracy isn't bad.  I still have her; I think I'll go play a game and see if I can figure out what you are on about.  Be back in a few...

[HELLS]
Members
1,867 posts
18,158 battles
2 minutes ago, n00bot said:

I don’t like it at all, either, even though I’m fine with other slow-velocity US shells like the cruiser line.  Lots of people do say it takes a long time to get used to NC, and by that time, you’ve ground the Iowa...

Exactly. And once I got Alabama, North Carolina got sold out. Now I also have Massachussetts so that is more than enough at T8. I lke Iowa despite sucking in her so I kept her anyway. New Mexico is a keeper for me as well. Colorado is long gone! West Virginia in her current version is a non-starter for me as I would much prefer the 1944 reconstructed version.

[FSA]
Members
5 posts
2,646 battles

I've got Massachusetts and I've always liked that ship. Yes, the guns are inaccurate. Wildly inaccurate. But the secondaries make up for it. They give you something to do when your close. Most of the time it just freaks people out and they run. NC doesn't have that.

[HINON]
Members
10,130 posts

If this is only your first day with her, you likely dont have enough of a feel for the slow velocity shells. Now even though they move slow, once you get used to them they punish other ships. This is due to the slower shells having more of a plunging arc limiting over pens at medium range and leading to easier citadels. Also this reduces her vertical dispersion allowing for great accuracy coupled with the 2.0 sigma. Her shells also retain a great deal of penetration at range due to the shell mass.

Edited by RipNuN2

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,413 posts
15,881 battles

As a Cruiser Main, North Carolina is a more dangerous threat to me because she doesn't need to be in secondaries range to do her best.  With 2.0 Sigma she is a much more consistent BB than many others this tier and so a much more serious threat.

Massachusetts?  Bismarck?  Tirpitz?  They're easy.  Just stay above 11km and you avoid their secondaries.  Above 14km then they really start struggling because of their sh*tty gun accuracy.  Not against North Carolina.

I can Kite and Burn the ever-living-sh*t out of a Secondaries BB with my Cruiser.  But a BB that is consistent at range is dangerous.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[WOLFB]
Members
2,097 posts
9,537 battles

I stopped reading after Bismarck more accurate.

NC was the first US BB I felt I needed to pay attention to her. NM and Colorado weren't that impressive. While NC shells are slow, they are really accurate and deal massive damage. Against high tier, you can use that accuracy and range to support the fleet, against low tier, you just melt cruiser and BB. 

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
560 posts
12,232 battles
10 hours ago, beetlebug515 said:

I've got Massachusetts and I've always liked that ship. Yes, the guns are inaccurate. Wildly inaccurate. But the secondaries make up for it. They give you something to do when your close. Most of the time it just freaks people out and they run. NC doesn't have that.

245600754_Masssecondariesnerfed.thumb.PNG.649c536bf1a7f1616f22ef7fe1125c67.PNG

I used to love the ship, now not so sure at all. I think they've made the rumored secondary change that was supposed to occur soon.   I've grown truly disenchanted with the way WG is proceeding, and don't play nearly as much as I used to because of it, (so odds are I missed this change).   For example, last year spent $ 400 on Santa Crates...this year not a dime.  But I digress.

I just played this game with a 19 pt. Admiral Halsey Captain, full secondary build.  Here are my stats, above, for one match this morning in coop.   226 secondary hits, for a total of 594 damage.   Note that I am running IFHE and manual secondaries. which hit at 61%.

Going to play a couple more games with the Mass, but honestly if they nerfed a Premium ship like this, who's a two trick pony with secondaries and heals...then trust is gone. 

Edited by nagasakee

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
560 posts
12,232 battles

And so here is the very next match (yes I am sucking today...) where my secondaries did almost as much damage as primaries.  No flag changes, no captain changes, still the same crappy player.   Is this merely RNG Jesus biting me, or something else?

game2.PNG

Edited by nagasakee

[MOH]
Members
441 posts
1,721 battles
15 minutes ago, nagasakee said:

245600754_Masssecondariesnerfed.thumb.PNG.649c536bf1a7f1616f22ef7fe1125c67.PNG

I used to love the ship, now not so sure at all. I think they've made the rumored secondary change that was supposed to occur soon.   I've grown truly disenchanted with the way WG is proceeding, and don't play nearly as much as I used to because of it, (so odds are I missed this change).   For example, last year spent $ 400 on Santa Crates...this year not a dime.  But I digress.

I just played this game with a 19 pt. Admiral Halsey Captain, full secondary build.  Here are my stats, above, for one match this morning in coop.   226 secondary hits, for a total of 594 damage.   Note that I am running IFHE and manual secondaries. which hit at 61%.

Going to play a couple more games with the Mass, but honestly if they nerfed a Premium ship like this, who's a two trick pony with secondaries and heals...then trust is gone. 

Were you point blank to your target?

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
560 posts
12,232 battles

Not really, though part of the time vs the NC was doing the circle dance.

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
560 posts
12,232 battles

so I was wrong again, and my apologies to WG for suspecting a nerf.  In EVERY other game I played today the secondaries were just fine.  Clearly the issue was my tactics, gameplay, or lack of strong coffee.  Anyway sorry, I was  wrong.   again.  still.

Members
3,997 posts
6,718 battles

I am doing far better in the Mass B, with a 12 pt captain,  than any other US BB bar none.  Now - I have low amount of games in the Mass B compared to the other ships but my avg damage is nearly double the NC and about 2/3ds better than the Missouri.  Iowa and Colorado are both oupaced by nearly double in the Mass B as well.   It is the first US BB I feel comfortable with when playing.

[FSA]
Members
5 posts
2,646 battles

I'm in the same boat, pun unintended. The odd thing is that Mass has the same shell speed as NC, but I consistently do more damage with Mass. The arcs on the North Carolina are unbearable to me, and I play Wooster. 

[ALL41]
Members
150 posts
5,033 battles

I love  a secondary build, because I use my bb's to brawl (co-op player here.)     As such, being all the US ships use the same 5" secondary guns, I wish those guns on NC and Alabama would throw farther.    I have no issues with the MB accuracy of the NC.     

I absolutely love playing the Mass and Montana, with their long-range and quick-firing 2nd guns.  

Edited by ThumperD702

[TOY]
Members
65 posts
3,326 battles

back when the ranked was t8 i was playing in my NC . i ran her between two ships to save a team mate and got 75 secondary hits in 45 seconds , now im lucky they dident blast me out of the water. but my point is ..if you know what angle the NC secondarys have..and you know there range they will blister the enemy . and her main guns are utterly lethal 

Members
186 posts
8,299 battles
18 hours ago, kasag said:

back when the ranked was t8 i was playing in my NC . i ran her between two ships to save a team mate and got 75 secondary hits in 45 seconds , now im lucky they dident blast me out of the water. but my point is ..if you know what angle the NC secondarys have..and you know there range they will blister the enemy . and her main guns are utterly lethal 

Eh, I find against DDs the secondaries are severely hampered on account of the miserably slow 6 second reload. Not to mention the pitiful base fire chance for USN 5"/38 Mk12s makes them fairly ineffective against BBs. I'm with you 100% on the main guns, however. North Carolina can really hold her own against all but the most heavily armored foes. 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this