You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Raigoth

British DD's

13 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
718 posts

Anyone have a link to a good synopsis of this ship line? I watched Notser's but thats it and never really got an idea as to how this ship line works. I havent really played them much myself, but id like to have an idea of what to expect in the later tiers.

[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Beta Testers
2,504 posts
6,178 battles

From personal experience.

Acasta / Icarus - Meh

•  Decent guns and okay torps, nothing incredible. Usual mid-tier meh DDs. They're reasonably stealthy and the single launch torpedoes can make for some nice dev strikes on the generally less experienced players around these tiers.

Jervis / Lightning - Great

• Great. Both of these are VERY good ships, with Lightning being one of if not the new best balanced DD for cap contesting, torpedoes, and guns. It's a truly amazing ship. Lightning is a definite keeper.

Jutland / Daring - Good & Great, with skills

• Good, but they are what you make them. They have very low caliber guns which means you must take IFHE to do any sort of damage. The AP is good and has nice pen angles, but the second a DD or anything goes nose in - you simply won't get pens. IFHE is mandatory meaning you need a 14 point captain before they're really anything special. Guns and torpedoes are nice, overall they're pretty good knife fighters / gun ships. The torpedoes are pretty good, but the range is a bit of a hold back, using it often puts you in the danger zone of radar spam at high tier. Jutland isn't horrible, but practically speaking it's a down tiered and nerfed Daring.

Highlights:

Lightning and Daring are both fantastic. Daring requires a high point captain with IFHE to be able to reach full potential. Lightning with a 10 pointer is an incredibly competitive DD for its tier, and my personal favorite at 8 right now.

Jervis is pretty good, but IMO the Pan Asian GM is a bit better with the gun angles, AA, and deep water torpedoes. That said the single launcher and normal torpedoes makes Jervis very good at hitting DDs in smokes, and she gets a 3km/3km hydro too. Jutland isn't bad, but it feels like a nerfed Daring at 9. 

Everything else is kinda meh.

• Cool 1

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,732 battles

Run around shooting people with HE.

When they notice and return fire, smoke up (kite if on cooldown). Bait people into rushing you so your short range torps can be useful.

Blaze away in smoke, and pop hydro to scramble if someone torps you. Rinse and repeat as you move into caps and take them.

This has been my experience essentially up to Lightning.

Beta Testers
531 posts
3,617 battles

Lightning is the top of the 'original' line.  Jutland and Daring are discount Harugamos.

Edited by FlakKnight

Beta Testers
718 posts

So pretty much get to the lightning and you are done? I get the feeling that the last two ships arent great.

[4HIM]
Members
3,238 posts
13,866 battles

Still trying to grind my way past the Icarus.  It is kind of 'meh'.  I like the Gallant much better at that tier.  Wish the Icarus got the torp reload buff they gave to Cossack.  I really dislike torp reloads that make you reach for your day planner to see when they're going to be available.  

The lower tiers are pretty bland.  I did notice there is a great lack of info on the Wakeful.  Not even any info (last I looked) on the Wiki for it.  But I think the torps on the Wakeful have marshmallows for warheads.  Landed all the torps on a 3/4 health Itchyzucchini and still didn't sink it.  Just trying to unlock Acasta so I have the line from start to T6.  But unlocking Acasta isn't a high priority.  

[ARGSY]
Members
21,648 posts
15,689 battles
7 minutes ago, Raigoth said:

So pretty much get to the lightning and you are done? I get the feeling that the last two ships arent great.

I have played the Daring in co-op on the PTS and I think she's amazing, but that's a very limited frame of experience and not something on which to base a grind. Service costs in the PTS are irrelevant because you start with half a billion credits, but spamming any Tier 10 tech tree ship in co-op is going to be an expensive proposition, especially since I'm not paying doubloons/cash to put heavy economic flags on for every battle just to break even. Even in Randoms I'm shaky with Neptune at Tier 9; running Daring is going to be scary.

OP, the tech tree ships' lack of speed boost and multiple short-duration smokes makes for an interesting play-style, but the T2 ship handles like a rally car and can torp from stealth. They all do to some extent - they had British cruiser drag and acceleration parameters baked in in their final test phase - but it's more marked the lower you go.

They need a totally different play style from any other destroyer. They are true hybrids up to T8, at which point the focus shifts to guns. Their primary purpose IMO is to hold on to gains others have already made. From T6 they get a short range but very long duration hydro, which helps them not to be surprised by torps in smoke.

I have heard that Jutland is difficult after an excellent Lightning and this is why some people might choose to top out at T8, especially since service costs start to skyrocket at that point.

[YETI]
Members
129 posts
8,552 battles
17 hours ago, Fast_Battleship_Iowa said:

From personal experience.

Acasta / Icarus - Meh

•  Decent guns and okay torps, nothing incredible. Usual mid-tier meh DDs. They're reasonably stealthy and the single launch torpedoes can make for some nice dev strikes on the generally less experienced players around these tiers.

Jervis / Lightning - Great

• Great. Both of these are VERY good ships, with Lightning being one of if not the new best balanced DD for cap contesting, torpedoes, and guns. It's a truly amazing ship. Lightning is a definite keeper.

Jutland / Daring - Good & Great, with skills

• Good, but they are what you make them. They have very low caliber guns which means you must take IFHE to do any sort of damage. The AP is good and has nice pen angles, but the second a DD or anything goes nose in - you simply won't get pens. IFHE is mandatory meaning you need a 14 point captain before they're really anything special. Guns and torpedoes are nice, overall they're pretty good knife fighters / gun ships. The torpedoes are pretty good, but the range is a bit of a hold back, using it often puts you in the danger zone of radar spam at high tier. Jutland isn't horrible, but practically speaking it's a down tiered and nerfed Daring.

Highlights:

Lightning and Daring are both fantastic. Daring requires a high point captain with IFHE to be able to reach full potential. Lightning with a 10 pointer is an incredibly competitive DD for its tier, and my personal favorite at 8 right now.

Jervis is pretty good, but IMO the Pan Asian GM is a bit better with the gun angles, AA, and deep water torpedoes. That said the single launcher and normal torpedoes makes Jervis very good at hitting DDs in smokes, and she gets a 3km/3km hydro too. Jutland isn't bad, but it feels like a nerfed Daring at 9. 

Everything else is kinda meh.

How do you think the Jutland will be in rank play?   

[NSEW]
Members
2,108 posts
11,335 battles
1 hour ago, Raigoth said:

So far I've played both the Lightening, and the Jutland. No quite unlocked Daring yet. Although, the service costs are starting to be noticeable. 

As others may have pointed out. Lightening is a GREAT destroyer. Her guns have a faster velocity than Jutland/Daring. Which is noticeable too. I should rebuy her, only had to sell her due to credits being low.

[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Beta Testers
2,504 posts
6,178 battles
11 hours ago, temp1ar said:

How do you think the Jutland will be in rank play?   

Pretty good, but it's going against very heavy hitters like Kitakaze, Fletcher, and the Pan-Asian DD at IX (forgot its name). Fletcher is a better all-rounder, Kitakaze has better guns, and Pan-Asian has better torpedoes for dealing with larger ships.

She's not awful, but she's kind of an "all around" type DD that doesn't excel at anything, and I'd say that for that role the Fletcher is better overall. If you want to specialize in guns go Kitakaze, if you want to specialize in torpedoes with a side of good guns go the Pan-Asian.

Edited by Fast_Battleship_Iowa

[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Beta Testers
2,504 posts
6,178 battles
12 hours ago, Raigoth said:

Lightning and Daring are both good for their tiers IMO. Both are worth grinding to.

Daring requires a bit more captain points to be effective (at least 14 with CE + IFHE), meaning her build options are a bit more limited - and you need a higher level captain. Lightning is more flexible with build options.