You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

Who's the idiot???

26 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
5,153 posts
13,741 battles

A DD with two cruisers in his line of fire launches his torpedoes at a BB. I have torpedoes since I'm on my Hipper. The Cleveland, who is closes to the BB is too close for me to launch. It is a tight battle which we have a slim lead. I have to turn into the Cleveland to miss the DD's torpedoes. I don't know if I turned the Cleveland hard enough to push his bow around or if he turned at the same time but we avoid the torpedoes by a hair. In fact I don't know how they missed it was so close. Had the other cruiser & I not dodged the "friendly" torpedoes this DD would have sunk 2 teammates. The enemy BB most likely would have survived a single torpedo hit. The gap  we created was wide enough for the full salvo to get through and sink the BB so all's well or so I think. Then the DD driver starts calling us idiots because we were in his way. To top it off the Cleveland & I are trading paint so I have to turn broadside towards a enemy DD in smoke because the Cleveland is up against the sinking BB. Of course the enemy DD takes advantage of this an launches his torpedoes. I'm low on HP and know I will be sunk with a single hit so I take as many torpedoes as I can to make sure the Cleveland is safe. The DD driver calls me an idiot again. The BB was a Tirpitz, its torpedoes were reloading. The Cleveland was peppering him with HE. The DD had time to stop & reverse for a clean shot that would not have cause a collision between 2 team mates. 

The DD driver started a chain of events that ended damaging a friendly and placing another in a very bad position. The odds were greatly in favor of the enemy BB being sunk. This is not the 1st time nor will it be the last a "great in his mind only" player is not team oriented.

• Cool 7
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles

Be nice to see an actual replay.

When nothing is shown supporting whatever claim is being made, people tend to say whatever they want.  Especially when torpedoes and friendlies are involved.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,265 posts
21,684 battles

I have a freind who thinks a teammate should be able to dodge friendly torpedoes if they are 8 km away. 

I just cannot reason with him...

I can't count how many friendly torps have hit me because I didn't dodge them...

I rarely look behind me for torpedoes. 

• Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
5,153 posts
13,741 battles
38 minutes ago, Hanger_18 said:

replay or no comment

No one is twisting your arm for a comment. You can reject or accept on face value, that is your choice.

2 minutes ago, Kuckoo said:

Be nice to see an actual replay.

When nothing is shown supporting whatever claim is being made, people tend to say whatever they want.  Especially when torpedoes and friendlies are involved.

I purposely left off the reply because the topic would be judging the incident not addressing the topic "did your play cause a team member damage?"

• Meh 1

[TDRB]
Members
5,153 posts
13,741 battles
7 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

I have a freind who thinks a teammate should be able to dodge friendly torpedoes if they are 8 km away. 

I can't count how many friendly torps have hit me because I didn't dodge them...

I've been guilty of friendly fire. I've been the victim of friendly fire. Some, like your friend, refuse to accept they are hurting the team with friendly fire. The torpedo warning is screaming the whole match about torpedoes that are in the next county doesn't help either.

Beta Testers
572 posts
11,443 battles

I've quit dodging `friendly` torps.  Too often they are launched beyond the range that they'll hit the enemy.  So if the launcher keeps getting penalized, eventually they will (or should) receive. bans.  I notice that this behavior infests the higher tiers, I don't see it as often at the low tiers.

I have yet to have to implement the technique I use in WoT, where if a blue player does anything suspicious, I delete them.  Had a blue platoon approaching my TD in a bush.  I didn't wait, I turned and fired on them.

• Meh 5

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles
24 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Mindless torping  by players on your own team seems to be getting more frequent IMO. 

• Cool 1

[KIA-A]
Beta Testers
3,410 posts
5,761 battles
7 hours ago, kgh52 said:

No one is twisting your arm for a comment. You can reject or accept on face value, that is your choice.

im not going to just hear your side.... just let me see it and ill tell you.

• Meh 1

[CLARE]
Members
572 posts
8 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

With friends like that, who needs enemies.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,809 posts
1,478 battles

Happen to me tonight one DD launch his torps miss the CA and then torp me. You do not launch torps when your ally is on the other side !!!! :fish_viking:

[DPG]
Members
2,030 posts
10,730 battles

At this point I don't even bother dodging friendly torps.  I will make zero attempt to avoid them.  Take the pink good person and I hope you learn a lesson.

• Cool 2

Members
1,150 posts
9,100 battles
10 hours ago, NK_33 said:

Too often they are launched beyond the range that they'll hit the enemy

tell that to my shima's 20 km torps! :cap_book:

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[IRNBN]
Members
3,695 posts
10,741 battles
5 hours ago, Amenhir said:

At this point I don't even bother dodging friendly torps.  I will make zero attempt to avoid them.  Take the pink good person and I hope you learn a lesson.

This ^.

I play a lot on the EU server, and wild spam-torping is much more common than on NA. EU players also don't seem to be as sensitive to TK damage received or pinkness, which compounds the problem.

[TMS]
Members
3,607 posts
34,798 battles

While the DDs have to think about you you should also think about them.

Its very frustrating having to watch your teammate die because he was blocking you from torpedoing which could of killed the red ship and kept you alive because there was no way you were going to win the fight and stay alive with your firepower and HP alone.

Instead they will have to just sit back and wait for you to die first then make there torp run.

Sometimes blocking the DD from torpedoing means that you die and the DD.

Sometimes blocking the DD from torpedoing means that just the DD dies because they are not shooting you only the DD and you cant kill the thing that is shooting the DD fast enough but the DDs torps could of.

I tend to just let ship die instead of taking the risk to save them because to often they will charge  forwards at the last moment or turn which makes no difference to there chances of changing the outcome that they are going to die but makes all the difference of the chance of hitting friendly torps.

Edited by Final8ty

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles
8 hours ago, Amenhir said:

Yeah, i've done this too. I won't intentionally turn into the torps, but if they are coming where i am, i wont dodge either. 

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles
29 minutes ago, Final8ty said:

While the DDs have to think about you you should also think about them.

Its very frustrating having to watch your teammate die because he was blocking you from torpedoing which could of killed the red ship and kept you alive because there was no way you were going to win the fight and stay alive with your firepower and HP alone.

Sometimes they dont have a choice, if the enemy is rushing your position, try to turn away and turn might be even worse, its better to just stay there hidden or bown on and try to kill the enemy ship asap. 

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
2,444 posts

I don't dodge friendly torpedoes since only the first hit causes damage.  The rest turn the DD pink.

I've played enough with selfish DDs to not avoid any actions they take and maneuver to keep them from being between me and my target.

Thankfully I only have one or two selfish DD captains that I actively have to worry about being utter jerks.  They are marked with a little yellow arrow next to their names when they appear in a match with me.

[RMRGD]
Members
455 posts
23,025 battles
18 hours ago, kgh52 said:

A DD with two cruisers in his line of fire launches his torpedoes at a BB. I have torpedoes since I'm on my Hipper. The Cleveland, who is closes to the BB is too close for me to launch. It is a tight battle which we have a slim lead. I have to turn into the Cleveland to miss the DD's torpedoes. I don't know if I turned the Cleveland hard enough to push his bow around or if he turned at the same time but we avoid the torpedoes by a hair. In fact I don't know how they missed it was so close. Had the other cruiser & I not dodged the "friendly" torpedoes this DD would have sunk 2 teammates. The enemy BB most likely would have survived a single torpedo hit. The gap  we created was wide enough for the full salvo to get through and sink the BB so all's well or so I think. Then the DD driver starts calling us idiots because we were in his way. To top it off the Cleveland & I are trading paint so I have to turn broadside towards a enemy DD in smoke because the Cleveland is up against the sinking BB. Of course the enemy DD takes advantage of this an launches his torpedoes. I'm low on HP and know I will be sunk with a single hit so I take as many torpedoes as I can to make sure the Cleveland is safe. The DD driver calls me an idiot again. The BB was a Tirpitz, its torpedoes were reloading. The Cleveland was peppering him with HE. The DD had time to stop & reverse for a clean shot that would not have cause a collision between 2 team mates. 

The DD driver started a chain of events that ended damaging a friendly and placing another in a very bad position. The odds were greatly in favor of the enemy BB being sunk. This is not the 1st time nor will it be the last a "great in his mind only" player is not team oriented.

Most long time players share a universal rule about torpedoes.  You the DD (or any ship that fires them) are responsible for them 100% and it is ALWAYS your fault if it does friendly fire.   The only exception is if in some chat the person acknowledges the fact you are firing near him and still hits the torps because they are dumb.     If you FIRE them first then do team chat.. you are still at fault.    you never fire torps into friendly targets if there is a risk that you can hit someone.   Super simple rule.. 

[187]
Members
1,633 posts
12,457 battles

There is an unspoken hierarchy and or etique that goes Battleships, then Cruiser then DD. With the last sometimes being the most important at times yet, it is the most agile ship in the game. A good DD driver should always yield the right of way to larger less maneuverable ships...this is common sense...but you can't teach common sense. More severe punishment could help curb this, not sure if pink is the answer, usually hitting a person where it hurts like taking away earned bonuses perhaps or an actual time limit on returning to regular play may help a person think more the next time they feel like acting wreckless....all that said SHITE HAPPENS ...friendly fire is nothing too get excited about really and scraping paint is a fine art.

I tell my clan mates to think of me as their personal meat shield if needed when I'm in a BB. 

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
1,712 posts
4,169 battles
On 12/30/2018 at 10:42 AM, deresistance said:

Most long time players share a universal rule about torpedoes.  You the DD (or any ship that fires them) are responsible for them 100% and it is ALWAYS your fault if it does friendly fire.   The only exception is if in some chat the person acknowledges the fact you are firing near him and still hits the torps because they are dumb.     If you FIRE them first then do team chat.. you are still at fault.    you never fire torps into friendly targets if there is a risk that you can hit someone.   Super simple rule.. 

You'll always be at fault even if you say something in chat.  Only if you get acknowledgement does some of the blame transfer if a friendly is hit.

[VOP]
Members
556 posts
9,947 battles

I would have eaten his torps, let the flooding (if any) kill him off to eliminate him from doing it to you both again...he would be gone and you both would have been better off for it.

I have learned to not let anyone's torps put you into a position where you cannot maneuver. Besides he should not be at the back of the pack launching into you. He should have been up front doing that. :Smile_honoring:

When I do make an ooopsy, I do at least apologize to the person. Yet this one berated you...what a winner. :Smile_facepalm:

[H_]
Members
749 posts
12,111 battles
21 minutes ago, Gasboy said:
On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:42 AM, deresistance said:

You'll always be at fault even if you say something in chat.  Only if you get acknowledgement does some of the blame transfer if a friendly is hit.

I've always tried to adhere to the universal rule.. Stuff does happen and other ships sometimes do well lets say "unexpected" things.. I have even done unexpected things and run into others torps but I take that blame as I did something goofy.  Notifying in chat is all to the better but some folks don't look at chat or are to focused to read it.. hence the you are 100% responsible for your torps.

Long range torps are even worse, and the age old adage "be sure of the target and what's beyond it"  should play prominently in your thinking.  Of course you can't always predict what some BB or CA is going to do 15k away and of course if there is any doubt don't fire.  

Getting blocked from shooting happens and if it does well just don't shoot, you are more maneuverable so work the angle and then fire.  Although shooting DWT's under your DD buddy can be really fun! 

To me it's no different then firing main guns at a target that's closely engaged, So based on the original post I'd say the DD player was in the wrong! and honestly that behavior seems to be happening more and more..

Edited by S16_Hunter