You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

Best Coal Ship?

20 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
4,080 posts
12,919 battles

OK, I finally have enough coal (with coupon) to get any of the coal ships in Arsenal. Now a quandary as to which one. I put this in the BB forum as two of the top choices are BBs.

The BBs are both T9 and would leave me a little left over where I might get something else or start saving for the next ship.

T9 ships are generally not optimum as they most often face T10s, so why not bring a T10? But, it looks like there will be  T9 competitive battles so...

I only have Alsace and Saint Louis at T9.

Musashi is pretty good but it looks like CVs might be making a comeback, at least temporarily and the AA sucks.

Jean Bart is OK also. Might be harder to make work. I never got my Alsace to perform up to expectations (but I never had it in its glory days)

Salem is T10 and generally thought as inferior to the DM. It loses out on one of the prime reason to take the DM...good radar. Not sure it would be a good choice for Clan. Still on the Baltimore so a long way from a owning functional DM.

I only have Republique and Henry at T10. 

I suppose I could wait to see what WG puts up to replace the Musashi, but inflation will likely mean they will cost more.

Nowhere near having enough steel for anything meaningful. Finally have enough FXP for the Missouri saved, but that is no longer available.

[DRACS]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
737 posts
15,745 battles

I would say Salem, the radar is lower range but it has a great heal.

with free xp, you could get the Alaska which should be out fairly soon.

[RED]
Members
249 posts
11,528 battles

For the low price I got a mushy, not going to see prices like that again. Also now I have a prem Yammy I don’t need to go through Izumo.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
12,293 posts
17,826 battles
1 hour ago, Sabot_100 said:

I finally have enough coal (with coupon) to get any of the coal ships in Arsenal. Now a quandary as to which one.

Charleston … you won't be disappointed, and you won't be broke.

• Funny 1

[UN1]
Members
719 posts
2,705 battles

I wanted the Jean Bart, but I purchased the Musashi knowing it is going to disappear.  I can buy the Jean Bart later.  Not disappointed, either.  I'm not normally a sniper player, but the Musashi breaks bones.  It's a ferocious ship, and very enjoyable.

Edited by Ranari

[PQUOD]
Members
3,089 posts
11,741 battles
2 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

OK, I finally have enough coal (with coupon) to get any of the coal ships in Arsenal. Now a quandary as to which one. I put this in the BB forum as two of the top choices are BBs.

The BBs are both T9 and would leave me a little left over where I might get something else or start saving for the next ship.

T9 ships are generally not optimum as they most often face T10s, so why not bring a T10? But, it looks like there will be  T9 competitive battles so...

I only have Alsace and Saint Louis at T9.

Musashi is pretty good but it looks like CVs might be making a comeback, at least temporarily and the AA sucks.

Jean Bart is OK also. Might be harder to make work. I never got my Alsace to perform up to expectations (but I never had it in its glory days)

Salem is T10 and generally thought as inferior to the DM. It loses out on one of the prime reason to take the DM...good radar. Not sure it would be a good choice for Clan. Still on the Baltimore so a long way from a owning functional DM.

I only have Republique and Henry at T10. 

I suppose I could wait to see what WG puts up to replace the Musashi, but inflation will likely mean they will cost more.

Nowhere near having enough steel for anything meaningful. Finally have enough FXP for the Missouri saved, but that is no longer available.

The Musashi is OP crushing T10 Yamato firepower at T9. There will probably be enough AA spec CA/CL and BB's to keep things balanced in upcoming ranked.

Salem is hindered by less radar time than the DM but has zombie healing powers.

[CVA16]
Members
4,080 posts
12,919 battles
10 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Salem is hindered by less radar time than the DM but has zombie healing powers.

So Salem is a much more selfish ship. With radar that is both shorter range AND duration (less time to actually kill anything spotted) it will not be as much of a team player.

[PQUOD]
Members
3,089 posts
11,741 battles
2 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

So Salem is a much more selfish ship. With radar that is both shorter range AND duration (less time to actually kill anything spotted) it will not be as much of a team player.

Depends on who is driving it. The ship is inanimate. 

[WULUF]
Members
1,006 posts

JEAN BART..... its the ship I use almost all the time.

Look, most ships have 2.... or 4.... or 6 guns facing forward.... very few have 8!!!!

(that is not counting the rear guns, you want to always face the enemy right)

8 guns firing forward, this ship is fantastic.

You will not regret buying this....

unless you want the Salem.

Edited by kiwi1960

[CVA16]
Members
4,080 posts
12,919 battles
57 minutes ago, kiwi1960 said:

unless you want the Salem.

I want to want the Salem. It is a T10 after all.  Since it might therefore be a clan battle ship, I would rather it not be inferior to the DMs it would be facing. DMs are fairly common there and that is mostly due to their radar and the contribution they can make to team play (making life miserable for the opposing DDs). If Salem was truly a DM clone, I probably would get it over the Musashi. Musashi also has the caveat that it is also available for FXP. Salem isn't. Jean Bart is also interesting as I do have some French captains to plug into it. I have always had trouble with dispersion/RNG with the French 13-15" guns so that worries me.

[WULUF]
Members
1,006 posts
15 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

I want to want the Salem. It is a T10 after all.  Since it might therefore be a clan battle ship, I would rather it not be inferior to the DMs it would be facing. DMs are fairly common there and that is mostly due to their radar and the contribution they can make to team play (making life miserable for the opposing DDs). If Salem was truly a DM clone, I probably would get it over the Musashi. Musashi also has the caveat that it is also available for FXP. Salem isn't. Jean Bart is also interesting as I do have some French captains to plug into it. I have always had trouble with dispersion/RNG with the French 13-15" guns so that worries me.

Don't worry, its really not that bad, although, its not bad, most shots will be hits. I'm lousy when it comes to aiming, the JB does most of the work for me it seems...

Clan battles are one thing, but you have to "live" in the WoWs world when there are no clan battles. That is why I love ANY ship that rocks. I love my Cleveland, Jean Bart....  Hell, even the T3 St louis as she really is a brawler. There are other good ships for every day use.

I have the T9 Seattle and she is good, but I want the Salem for the 5 second reload... AND she is T10 of course and I can buy it with coal. (I'll have it very VERY soon!)

Then I'll be looking at the coal ships Campbeltown (T3) The Charleston (T3) and the October Revolution (t5) .... why? why not! They are all part of navel history.
(secretly though, The "Revolution" is just because she is so bad, I NEED to have her in my fleet!)

And... trying hard to figure out what T9 or T10 ship to buy seeing as I nearly have enough XP for it.

BTW, in your top post, you said the Saint louis was a T10 .... its a T3, you're meaning the T7 New Orleans????? 

Edited by kiwi1960

[WOLF6]
Members
830 posts
7,817 battles
1 hour ago, Sabot_100 said:

JB is a lot of fun , fairly accurate and it has killer AA but with the Musashi leaving soon you may regret not getting it when you had the chance . You have time to get JB or salem later , I used FXP to get the Musashi and coal to get the JB , I'm happy with both but Musashi can put the hurt on anything in the game , it's a sledgehammer .

[WOLF3]
Members
22,463 posts
20,530 battles

With the CV Rework right now, the way CVs dance around a Des Moines as if nothing is going on, the sh*tty AA on Musashi may not mean anything after all.

[STORM]
Alpha Tester
1,124 posts
4,068 battles

Jean Bart has great shell travel times and ballistics. What she lacks in penetration she makes up for in shot grouping. Without citadels you can easily knock 10-20k salvos off enemy bb's. and with the reload booster you can knock them a second and possibly third time. Her low health is more then made up for by her bow tanking game. Without a yamato or musashi to dislodge you, you can easily go shot for shot with any other bb and come out ontop. If they bow tank you can hurl 2 more HE shells per salvo with a faster base reload and especially with reload booster. If they try to broadside to bring all 12 barrels to bear then you can easily knock them into next week with your volleys into their sides.  You haven't lived until you've knocked a Kurfurst half his health in a single one of his reloads. 

Kurfurst might have more guns and bigger barrels but if he can't dig through your bow armor then it is a very moot point. Your turret faces aren't half bad secondary shields either (not half good either, just not terrible). 

You may be vulnerable to fire but with the layout of the ship if you are bow tanking it is rare to get more then one fire laid on you at a time if you are receiving gunnery from the front. 

Jean Bart looks much worse on paper then she is. She doesn't play like a BB because there is no reason for her to expose broadside. She alternates between sprinting into a good defensive position and then sitting there shredding everyone who comes by.

Her shells fly VERY far, seriously its a 24.5 Km range base, that's bonkers and it allows her to bully her T9 rivals when they retreat by punching them beyond their effective range. That range is without a doubt intended to make her competitive against T10. Take it with a grain of salt though because a middling dispersion means only 8 chances to hit at that range and the odds are not in your favor. 

Avoid the Yamato siblings though. They will out bow tank you at short range, out snipe you at long, and are too durable in the mid. Their ability to not care about your bow armor is devastating. Otherwise just about all the tier X's are game, not easy game for sure, but you can last much better against the tier X's then just about any other tier 9 bb, including musashi (in my opinion). 

[CAST]
Members
4,772 posts
3,337 battles

It's my understanding that Salem does NOT have premium ship earning potential and is in fact the exact same as the Des Moines with the premium camo. So don't pick up that ship with the idea of using it as a credit earning as it'll suck in that role. Personally, I already have Des Moines and Salem doesn't seem worth it on top of it.

Same goes for me and Musashi. Musashi is an amazing ship, but I already have a Yamato and I don't really feel the need to get another Yamato, especially given I already have a ton of credit earning premium ships. So for now, if I want the Yamato experience, I'll just play Yamato.

Jean seems more interesting to me as she's fairly unique in playstyle.

So if the choice is between Musashi and Jean Bart ... well the choice is between amazing guns and armor, but no AA and very sluggish turrets, OR a much more fragile ship with weaker guns, but god tier AA, great rate of fire, and quite agile by Tier 9 BB standards.

Members
2,077 posts
11,061 battles

Hey

I have and am enjoying the Salem very much and use it regularly in clan battles ( I also have Musashi and like it quite a lot but the AA sucks and with the CV rework?, and I have the Flint too which is quite fun in its own way and I play it quite a bit).  Jean Bart will be the next ship I get with coal, don't have enough steal for the Stalingrad (did recently  get a double cit. on one with my GK in a clan battle this week, always nice, they are tough).  

Pete

[A-I-M]
Members
2,226 posts
11,364 battles
On 12/30/2018 at 2:55 AM, Sabot_100 said:

Musashi also has the caveat that it is also available for FXP. Salem isn't.

And in less than a week, it won’t  be available for Free XP. Nor will it be available by any other means, for that matter.

[CVA16]
Members
4,080 posts
12,919 battles
9 hours ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

And in less than a week, it won’t  be available for Free XP. Nor will it be available by any other means, for that matter.

I did end up with both. Musashi's value may take a hit if CVs become common after the rework. Salem started out a cursed ship for me. Always on the losing team. I may not be the best cruiser player but I'm better than 12% (at one time, climbed a bit out of the hole since but very depressing).