Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Reymu

Keep Minotaur?

7 comments in this topic

[NG-NL]
Members
6,002 posts
9,654 battles

It plays so much like Atlanta, which isn't really my cup of tea. Let me explain:

1) The need to position well and have escape routes is more challenging since rely on smoke for invisifire, so can be less mobile at a bad time. Last match I didn't have spotting DD on nearby flank and a repub was able to sneak up on me (hydro was on CD since doing anti-DD w/ my team's DDs) while I was in smoke.

2) Campfest meta. Said before, and the floaty MB is poorly suited to agile targets beyond 10km, and most targets beyond 12km. Few players charge in nowadays

3) Radar's presence makes good positions difficult

4) Limited CVs to ward off

5) Looked at my stats, seems there may be room for improvement. Neptune I've got reasonable avg. exp and damage given this cruiser line's designed for close-quarters disruption, but Minotaur could use some work.

However, I'm more at home w/ Hindy and Zao and even Moskva because campfest is something they can handle better. Minotaur relies on punishing others' mistakes and her stealth, and those don't always get much action when long-range campfest. Wondering if should just drop down to a lower-tier ship (as I did when tried Haku a few times and got tired of facing competent CV captains and AA builds all the time) like Edinburgh or Fiji.

[HINON]
Supertester
22,153 posts
16,021 battles

My counter question is: what would you win / benefit by selling her?

• Do you really need the slot?
  • The credits?
  • The captain?

If your answer to all of those is 'eh, not really', then why sell her?

• Cool 1

[-SF-]
Members
317 posts
4,406 battles

The Minotaur is personally one of my favourite ships. Equipped with a 19 point captain with radar and stealth built, she's an effective DD hunter but takes some time to get used to, with over 700k xp sitting on her I've played it alot. You do have to use cover alot and rely heavily on repairs but once you're used to the ship, she can do alot of damage. 

I'll also add that I absolutely hate the Atlanta, I don't own it but played it a few times during the Turkey event, couldn't do anything with it. 

Edited by Ashy_GB

[SYN]
Members
8,133 posts
12,777 battles

Try her with radar perhaps?

I have about 350 games in Minotaur, and for the last 50 or so I've been running radar instead of the smoke screen. Smoke is increasingly devalued - people are better shooting into it, radar profusion is absurd (this year releasing 3 high-tier premium radar cruisers...), torpedoes will sweep the smoke. It's not tremendously unusual to get 5+ radar per side these days.

Radar allows you to not camp, influence the game early and hard by sinking red DD, exploit your excellent maneuverability - ships with no speed loss in turns spending all day stationary in camp is 'wasteful' in my opinion, and it's quite a lot of fun when it works. If you want to camp, you can still use islands, just like Worcester has to.

Although small, the proposed CE change will hurt Minotaur a bit, increasing her stealth from 8.9 to 9.1km and chopping down her stealth-radar window, but I think she'll be ok. I also think that her non-existence in CB may trigger a look at her there - after all, WG buffed Moskva when she became a CB no-pick...

[RLGN]
Members
12,054 posts
21,616 battles

So many Minotaur battles...

...that level of dedication for ships I can’t stand (RN cruisers,) escapes me...

Moskva not picked for CB? What a lame excuse for a buff.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[NG-NL]
Members
6,002 posts
9,654 battles
1 hour ago, mofton said:

Try her with radar perhaps?

I have about 350 games in Minotaur, and for the last 50 or so I've been running radar instead of the smoke screen. Smoke is increasingly devalued - people are better shooting into it, radar profusion is absurd (this year releasing 3 high-tier premium radar cruisers...), torpedoes will sweep the smoke. It's not tremendously unusual to get 5+ radar per side these days.

Radar allows you to not camp, influence the game early and hard by sinking red DD, exploit your excellent maneuverability - ships with no speed loss in turns spending all day stationary in camp is 'wasteful' in my opinion, and it's quite a lot of fun when it works. If you want to camp, you can still use islands, just like Worcester has to.

Although small, the proposed CE change will hurt Minotaur a bit, increasing her stealth from 8.9 to 9.1km and chopping down her stealth-radar window, but I think she'll be ok. I also think that her non-existence in CB may trigger a look at her there - after all, WG buffed Moskva when she became a CB no-pick...

I did that a couple times, it's actually fun to light the DD that thinks he can permaspot me or just smoke up, but it got annoying to find my survival depends on having cover, as well as not getting much damage as players rarely ever push at these tiers.

Maybe I'm too used to racking high damage in my high-tier BBs and CRs.

2 hours ago, Lert said:

My counter question is: what would you win / benefit by selling her?

• Do you really need the slot?
  • The credits?
  • The captain?

If your answer to all of those is 'eh, not really', then why sell her?

I have 33 vacant slots. Credits might be nice, since going to do a lot of rebuys of T5-9 ships for snowflake event, but sitting on 30m creds, so gonna rely on more on MO for credits.

18-point captain.

Members
1,691 posts
8,497 battles

i just got mine and am running a radar load out. While I'd say I'm more at home on other cruisers she is pretty damn effective against DDs and that is a good thing to be in this game. Also I'm with Lert. If you have it, why sell it?

Sign in to follow this