You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Mongo_Monkey

Is OWSF still a thing?

12 comments in this topic

[BUNNY]
Members
104 posts

I thought it was long gone.  Never seen anyone do it before.  Just had a match when a guy in an Akatsuki was doing it continually, not just the occasional volley you get sometimes.  So is it still a thing and you just don't see it much?

[WOLF7]
Members
12,289 posts
6 minutes ago, Professor_Jumbo said:

I thought it was long gone.  Never seen anyone do it before.  Just had a match when a guy in an Akatsuki was doing it continually, not just the occasional volley you get sometimes.  So is it still a thing and you just don't see it much?

Post a replay, it's just barely possible, but requires perfect range control....

[HINON]
Supertester
22,115 posts
15,964 battles

When a player fires their main guns, their detection blooms to their gun's max range. OWSF is only a thing in specific cases, where a ship 'kites' an enemy ship and fires at their extreme range, so the salvo lands when a pursuing ship has driven into range.

Do you have a replay of the event?

• Cool 1

[BUNNY]
Members
104 posts

Here's the replay it was not the kiting situation.  Starts at 14:15 and goes on for about a minute.  I initially thought it was a more than a minute, but whatever.  Pretty sure it's Twincat in the Akatsuki.

20181228_194208_PFSB506-Dunkerque-1940_42_Neighbors.wowsreplay

Edited by Professor_Jumbo

[90TH]
Members
1,096 posts
9,811 battles

If you push in, they can fire while you’re outside their range and you sail into it.

Edited by n00bot

[BUNNY]
Members
104 posts
2 minutes ago, n00bot said:

If you push in, they can fire while you’re outside their range and you sail into it.

I was running, he was chasing me.

[WOLF5]
Members
2,911 posts
3,215 battles

Watched the replay. That wasn't the Akatsuki, that was the Massachusetts's secondaries. They're pretty scary, and he must have had the captain with the colored tracers. The Akat was last spotted way to the north, no way it was him. The Mass was the one lighting you up pretty obviously. 

Also, thought the replay was bugging out at first, but you were just AFK or stuck loading the first minute and a half of the match..

Edited by AJTP89

[WOLF2]
Members
246 posts
6,341 battles
40 minutes ago, Professor_Jumbo said:

Hey, just letting you know...no open water stealth firing happening here. It's the Massachusetts' secondaries hitting you.

The Akatsuki reappears at around 12:15 of your replay in a different direction than where the shells originate, and the Halsey red tracers match the main shell red tracers coming from the Massachusetts. 

[WOLF3]
Members
22,426 posts
20,527 battles
32 minutes ago, Professor_Jumbo said:

Here's the replay it was not the kiting situation.  Starts at 14:15 and goes on for about a minute.  I initially thought it was a more than a minute, but whatever.  Pretty sure it's Twincat in the Akatsuki.

20181228_194208_PFSB506-Dunkerque-1940_42_Neighbors.wowsreplay

Brother, you were not being Stealth Fired at all.  That's a Massachusetts rocking you at 9km.

qQ1Ck7h.jpg

The only one attacking you was Massachusetts.  The red tracers from her Secondaries are coming from Mass.

Nx38jKS.jpg

KL9ebj8.jpg

That whole segment, no additional gunfire was coming at you, only Massachusetts.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLF5]
Members
2,911 posts
3,215 battles
1 minute ago, Yoshiblue said:

If you fire behind smoke (not in it) and remain undetected, does that count as OWSF? 

No, because that's not open water, there's smoke between you and the target.

[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,029 posts
17,165 battles
1 hour ago, Professor_Jumbo said:

This morning I was able to OWSF in my sims.

Ships closing in and 4 salvos in the air before I got into detection range.

Key is ships closing, floaty shells and to stop firing when they get into gun bloom range. 

Being able to continuously OWSF is almost impossible.