Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BoJohno

Some perspective

7 comments in this topic

[WOLFD]
Members
421 posts
3,711 battles

So based on my personal experience, there is a rather significant learning curve when progressing from "new player learning the ropes in co-op" to "maybe not so new looking to make the leap in random". So from what I see, co-op encourages poor playing habits, and once players make the transition to random where the competition (and expectations) are that much higher the flaws in game play style become glaringly obvious. 

I still play co-op, and since I've foolishly decided to grind pretty much everything at once I'm still frequently in the lower tiers. Other than often getting torpedoed by friendlies (which is really irritating until I remind myself which tier I'm playing) I've noticed a few things which I think contribute to folks being totally unprepared for PvP.

Lower tier DD play in co-op tends to have folks rush in to the middle of a massive crew of enemy ships and fling torpedoes everywhere (including at allies, but ok....) And they're rewarded for it. My very first ships were DD's. I went screaming into the enemy randomly dropping smoke for no purpose whatsoever......and regularly scored 4 or 5 kills. So firmly convinced in my own awesomeness I jumped into Random and lasted about as long as a fart in a tornado. And I repeated it, with the same results. There was nothing in my previous play experience to teach me the right way to play DD's. So I jumped back to co-op to try cruisers or battleships. Cruisers were effective, but constantly lagged behind DD's regarding exp because they couldn't get to the fight as fast and the DD's smoked everything with torps. BB's......dear god. At lower tiers they are so slow I was looking for the hotkey to rig oars and sails. Reload time is abysmal and the dispersion is so bad you're lucky to hit the ocean. So....play a type that may make it to the fight to witness the end, or play a DD and yolo your way to the top of the chart. I recently took a broadside of torps from a friendly in a tier 3 match.......at under 2 kms. I asked the guy behind me who blatantly  torped me what he was thinking. His response was "I figured maybe one would get by you to the red guy". So I patiently explained that nuking a teamamate right in front of you is not cool. His response......"who cares". No repercussions for poor play in co-op.  

So either you enter PvP with a horribly suicidal DD strategy, or you have no idea how to play any other ship type because you're used to the easy xp with dd co-op. And the random community is unforgiving. I don't have any idea how to remedy these issues. Maybe the more experienced players have some ideas. Not all new players come to these forums, or looks stuff up on youtube. And even when they do (I've done both) watching someone else play, or getting advice from others doesn't always translate to the map when the shells start flying.

I think there's a huge empty space in the player skill level between experienced and noobs that isn't being filled because for many people co-op is not particularly exciting but trying to make the transition to random is rough to say the least. So they quit.

In any event, that was a really long winded explanation on a situation that isn't really a secret and I don't have any idea on how to remedy. 

[OO7]
Members
602 posts
7,504 battles

Yes, the learning curve is high and the game does a very poor job of getting new player ready for it.  I bet the churn rate of players by tenure would show a significant amount of them drop out once they hit mid tier random battles.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,601 posts

The problem is simple...The majority of players that are attracted to this game are not gamers, they are more than likely older, and less likely to get over involved in a game.

WG has failed to adjust to this reality, and has spent three years trying to make a player base that is engaged. As if they can make us old stubborn farts do anything we don't want to...:Smile_trollface:

Edited by awiggin
  • Cool 2

[RAGE]
Members
1,950 posts
8,202 battles

To not have a tutorial on aiming is inexcusable. It's not initially intuitive that shell travel time is related to the reticule tickmarks. And they include the standard crosshair, which varies with zoom, making it even less intuitive.  

• Cool 1

[WOLFD]
Members
421 posts
3,711 battles
4 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

To not have a tutorial on aiming is inexcusable. It's not initially intuitive that shell travel time is related to the reticule tickmarks. And they include the standard crosshair, which varies with zoom, making it even less intuitive.  

That's just one of many issues that make the game unappealing for newcomers. Or to quote awiggin "old stubborn farts" like myself. I bitched in these forums enough to even irritate myself. I rage quit, and come back. I SAY I'm going to rage quit, and I don't. Because I like the game. And hate it at the same time. I don't know if it's the snowflake crap but I just tried a T2..........TIER 2 random and there were premiums flying everywhere . Clubbing at it's finest. There really is no place for anyone to improve in this game anymore.

Members
2,352 posts
32,363 battles
36 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

Yes when I started it was the standard crosshair.  Didn't even know about the dynamic until 1000's of games in. What a waste of time and effort using the static.  At least for me it was.

[FML]
Members
4,091 posts
15,976 battles
42 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

100% Agreed - this is the key thing.  

And that not all shells travel at the same speed - so that players know that it is not always the same, and they have to make adjustments for range and shell type and gun type.  

Sign in to follow this