You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
IOWADragon

Public Test CV play

64 comments in this topic

[FUSA]
Members
249 posts
8,441 battles

As is I personally think the new CVs are not ready for random, but close.

Screenshot (33).png

Screenshot (34).png

Screenshot (35).png

Screenshot (36).png

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
587 posts
1,640 battles

Can you please explain to me how to get in and test this?  I downloaded what I thought was the PTS from the WoWs website but it is running 0.7.12 (or so it says, I haven't actually entered the game to see after I saw the build number)

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,252 posts
9,723 battles
2 minutes ago, _HatTrick_ said:

Can you please explain to me how to get in and test this?  I downloaded what I thought was the PTS from the WoWs website but it is running 0.7.12 (or so it says, I haven't actually entered the game to see after I saw the build number)

Just ignore that it says 0.7.12 and click play, it should still be the current PTS

[-A-8-]
[-A-8-]
Members
181 posts
8,421 battles

I just wish I could play with actual people. Even with 600 players I'm still lucky if I get a human player on my team. Co-op is hard becuase the enemy team doesnt get a cv.

Edited by ZER01025

[RLGN]
Members
14,935 posts
26,442 battles
2 minutes ago, ZER01025 said:

I just wish I could play with actual people. Even with 600 players I'm still lucky if I get a human player on my team. Co-op is hard becuade the enemy team doesnt get a cv.

That should make it easy. Carrier fighter consumable in the TST made things hell.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,185 posts
14,754 battles
43 minutes ago, ThreeHeadedDragon said:

As is I personally think the new CVs are not ready for random, but close.

On the test servers they ran there was never enough people playing other ships so most of the teams were made up of bots. The PT has the same issue but with long waits and lots of queue dumps that create matches that don't really allow testing either. The only place that will have the needed number of players to actually test them is the live game. The good part about this is everyone from WG down to the most casual player in random will learn from this.

[-A-8-]
[-A-8-]
Members
181 posts
8,421 battles
9 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

That should make it easy. Carrier fighter consumable in the TST made things hell.

Guess I need to git gud. I do okay with rockets and bombs, I strughle to hit with torpedoes. The ship always seems to dodge them.

[RLGN]
Members
14,935 posts
26,442 battles
19 minutes ago, ZER01025 said:

Guess I need to git gud. I do okay with rockets and bombs, I strughle to hit with torpedoes. The ship always seems to dodge them.

Don’t worry, driving the planes is as bad as driving the subs; because the aim cone swings all over the place.

Why WG thought going to 100% manual attacks would be ‘easier’ escapes me.

Members
2,439 posts
14,392 battles
19 minutes ago, ZER01025 said:

Start your attack run a ways off...8km or so ..and then try not to make WASD adjustments if at all possible.   WASD makes the targeting widen, so you want to use the mouse to make subtle adjustments.

If you start your attack run further away, the target reticle will get more and more accurate, until at some point the torps fire basically straight.  After that, it is just a matter of getting down the lead, which take some getting used to for sure.

Rockets I haven't seen much use for.  Dive bombers seem to be the biggest bang for the buck, but torps out damage them if you can land them all of course.  

• Cool 1

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,298 posts
12,976 battles
23 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

Start your attack run a ways off...8km or so ..and then try not to make WASD adjustments if at all possible.   WASD makes the targeting widen, so you want to use the mouse to make subtle adjustments.

If you start your attack run further away, the target reticle will get more and more accurate, until at some point the torps fire basically straight.  After that, it is just a matter of getting down the lead, which take some getting used to for sure.

Rockets I haven't seen much use for.  Dive bombers seem to be the biggest bang for the buck, but torps out damage them if you can land them all of course.  

I've had a somewhat different experience.

Torpedo Bombers are my primary weapon for causing damage.

Rocket Planes, good for resetting caps, and harassing destroyers and cruisers, and scouting, don't expect damage from them.

Dive Bombers, usually not worth the effort to use them, useful for dropping the last 2 patrol fighters.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,185 posts
14,754 battles
1 minute ago, SgtBeltfed said:

I've had a somewhat different experience.

Torpedo Bombers are my primary weapon for causing damage.

Rocket Planes, good for resetting caps, and harassing destroyers and cruisers, and scouting, don't expect damage from them.

Dive Bombers, usually not worth the effort to use them, useful for dropping the last 2 patrol fighters.

I have had better luck with the DB's but will pull the TB's out if the full DB squadron isn't ready yet.

[CVA16]
Members
5,681 posts
17,521 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

The good part about this is everyone from WG down to the most casual player in random will learn from this.

The question being WHAT everyone is going to learn from this. Will it be learning like tuning a guitar or learning like touching a hot stove?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,185 posts
14,754 battles
1 minute ago, Sabot_100 said:

The question being WHAT everyone is going to learn from this. Will it be learning like tuning a guitar or learning like touching a hot stove?

Probably both but from being in the tests the system works but needs tweaking and balancing so hopefully WG will be tuning the guitar.

[SBS]
Members
6,106 posts
46 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Yeah the fighter consumable is weird.  I can't decide if I like it or hate it.  When I see the enemy planes coming towards my planes I want to go the other way to avoid the possible fighter drop.  The problem is I was going that way for a reason and now I have to go look for some other victim.  Or, I could keep going and we can both drop fighters on each other.  Its sort of like poking each other in the eye with sticks, nobody wins.

• Funny 2

[CVA16]
Members
5,681 posts
17,521 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

Probably both but from being in the tests the system works but needs tweaking and balancing so hopefully WG will be tuning the guitar.

One aspect that seem way undertested is how it is to play something besides a CV in the new environment. As mentioned, most went into the test to try CVs, not play against them. Bots don't care if they have a miserable game. Even if the CV is mostly unsuccessful in landing hits, if the target spends half the game dodging air attacks, in pure survival mode, doing little offensively, it is NOT going to be a fun time. I foresee this will be the US line split with radar ships and DDs. There will be CVs everywhere.

[-A-8-]
[-A-8-]
Members
181 posts
8,421 battles

Finally getting the hang of torpedoes. Rockets are great for finishing off nearly dead ships. I use the fighter consumable as an area denial weapon. I drop it over freindly ships trying to cap. In the last battle I had a cv try to cap so I just dropped my fighters between it and my cv on the edge of the cap.

Also in my last battle I felt like the cvs had AA builds becuase flying near them was pretty suicidal.

I did have another cv player tell me he had an issue with his planes flying in circles, usually when enemy AA attacked making it even more fustrating.

Edited by ZER01025

Members
2,439 posts
14,392 battles
14 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

One aspect that seem way undertested is how it is to play something besides a CV in the new environment. As mentioned, most went into the test to try CVs, not play against them. Bots don't care if they have a miserable game. Even if the CV is mostly unsuccessful in landing hits, if the target spends half the game dodging air attacks, in pure survival mode, doing little offensively, it is NOT going to be a fun time. I foresee this will be the US line split with radar ships and DDs. There will be CVs everywhere.

I played a Wooster (which I play on live), and the focus fire AA seems a little clunky.  The planes move so fast that it's best to just leave it at 100/100.  That said, the planes dont just vanish like they seem to do on live.  It takes a little but before planes start dying, but after an initial pause, AA boats seem to be able to hold their own.  Middle of the pack AA boats can at least make a dent.  Combined with the lesser alpha damage of CVs....I think it feels good.  People will focus on planes at first out of habit and fear of getting dev struck, but once that fades it will be comfortable.

What remains to be seen is, will CVs be able to adequately impact battles.  From what I have seen in testing, they are annoying but not deadly.  People are still getting used to the new aiming though so that will improve.

[RLGN]
Members
14,935 posts
26,442 battles
5 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

What remains to be seen is, will CVs be able to adequately impact battles.  From what I have seen in testing, they are annoying but not deadly.  People are still getting used to the new aiming though so that will improve.

Without being whatever form a unicum takes with the new system, then no?

What motivation is there to going to be to spend twenty minutes pecking at targets to no real effect?

God help the carriers if someone gets behind their fleet, because I doubt their ‘allies’ will; which means they will impact things even less, since they are either driving the CV the avoid long range fire or torps and doing nothing; or trying to attack whatever is shooting them to bits, and still effectively doing nothing to impact the battle.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,514 posts
2 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Without being whatever form a unicum takes with the new system, then no?

What motivation is there to going to be to spend twenty minutes pecking at targets to no real effect?

God help the carriers if someone gets behind their fleet, because I doubt their ‘allies’ will; which means they will impact things even less, since they are either driving the CV the avoid long range fire or torps and doing nothing; or trying to attack whatever is shooting them to bits, and still effectively doing nothing to impact the battle.

Well, I can say that after the rebork hits, I'll never lift a finger to help a green CV, because they can't do a thing to help me against enemy aircraft.

If you're in a CV after the patch hits, you're on your own. 

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 2
  • Meh 4

[WOLFG]
Members
30,734 posts
9,354 battles
2 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Why WG thought going to 100% manual attacks would be ‘easier’ escapes me.

My take on that isn't that they thought it needed to be "easier", just that not having to worry about several other squadrons while you're setting up a manual attack would help narrow the skill gap. (which it does)

[RLGN]
Members
14,935 posts
26,442 battles
3 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

My take on that isn't that they thought it needed to be "easier", just that not having to worry about several other squadrons while you're setting up a manual attack would help narrow the skill gap. (which it does)

My take on that though is if someone was bad at the (to me,) easier to use current manual drop system, (which at least had a form of aim asist,) they're not going to be any better at using a system that's 100% manual.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[WOLFG]
Members
30,734 posts
9,354 battles
41 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Well, I can say that after the rebork hits, I'll never lift a finger to help a green CV, because they can't do a thing to help me against enemy aircraft.

You do that. I'll continue to help them when feasible, because I play to win, and letting the enemy have a big chunk of points when I can stop it, seems to be counter-productive.

Plus, maybe that CV can't do anything to help me against enemy planes, (other than drop fighters near me of course) he can sure help me kill enemy ships.

But yeah, you do you, and take your ball and bat and go home.

• Cool 4

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,514 posts
5 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

You do that. I'll continue to help them when feasible, because I play to win, and letting the enemy have a big chunk of points when I can stop it, seems to be counter-productive.

Plus, maybe that CV can't do anything to help me against enemy planes, (other than drop fighters near me of course) he can sure help me kill enemy ships.

But yeah, you do you, and take your ball and bat and go home.

Why should I help jerk just to get a win in a video game?

And yeah, if you play a carrier without the ability to counter the enemy carrier's aircraft, you're a jerk. 

• Cool 1
  • Meh 4

[RLGN]
Members
14,935 posts
26,442 battles
7 hours ago, Skpstr said:

You have got to be kidding. The new carriers struggle to even HIT ships, never mind doing any meaningful damage or actually sinking them.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 1