You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
S7CentNickel

Kidd.-worth it?

26 comments in this topic

Members
1,697 posts
8,726 battles

Kidd is quite meta friendly but she isn't for everyone. Her speed and heal are a good counter for radar. Her crazy AA is very effective against CVs, the other major counter to the DD class. Her specialty is hunting and killing other DDs, again a pretty On-Meta skill. Her role is to give her team vision control, both by scouting and eliminating the other scouts. Some players will not be able to get over her lacking torp armament however. However there are far more ships effective against BBs and cruisers than their are against DDs and aircraft carriers.

[SEOP]
Members
1,559 posts
9,428 battles

I think its a really good boat.  guns + a heal plopped onto -- as I recall -- a Fletcher hull.  keep in mind its only got one rake of torps.  So if stealth torp'ing DD's is your thing, Kidd might not be your thing (heh -- too many things).  Whether the pixels are worth the real cash -- that's up to your wallet.    I bought one when it first came out.  Told the real kids (no the kidds) they werent getting new shoes this year cause I needed a new DD.

[WOLF9]
Members
388 posts
8 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

I think its a really good boat.  guns + a heal plopped onto -- as I recall -- a Fletcher hull.  keep in mind its only got one rake of torps.  So if stealth torp'ing DD's is your thing, Kidd might not be your thing (heh -- too many things).  Whether the pixels are worth the real cash -- that's up to your wallet.    I bought one when it first came out.  Told the real kids (no the kidds) they werent getting new shoes this year cause I needed a new DD.

Been sitting on my steam gold for a while & thought this might be what I’ve been waiting to get. 

[KWF]
Members
4,882 posts
6,587 battles

Keep in mind that she struggles to do damage and that the spotting you will inevitably have to do won't reward much. Still, if you want to piss off your fellow DDs  by not dying and any CV unlucky enough to happen upon you she comes highly recommended.

As a bonus she has dope alternate camouflage scheme:

shot-18_08.02_01_56.57-0555.thumb.jpg.61f47e445ceedabddf453a83e63c3ef1.jpg

Edited by warheart1992

Members
6,729 posts
21,129 battles
1 minute ago, warheart1992 said:

Keep in mind that she struggles to do damage and that the spotting you will inevitably have to do won't reward much. Still, if you want to piss off your fellow DDs  by not dying and any CV unlucky enough to happen upon you she comes highly recommended.

interesting mentioning CV's... while I don't know how the new CV deal will go... Imagine how strong this ship will be with the influx of new CV players

[SEOP]
Members
1,559 posts
9,428 battles
Just now, warheart1992 said:

pretty much this.  Its a red DD hunter.   So yeah -- dmg isnt usually huge.  But you can trade punches in gunfights with the knowledge that the bad guy typically can't recoup whatever hurt you put on him.  If you do it well you can keep yourself in matches.  Mid and late match you can start grabbing or recapping bases.  

[WOLF3]
Members
28,114 posts
24,463 battles

I have Kidd but don't play it as much, simply because I don't do DDs as much as I used to.

That said, I like seeing Kidds on my team.  They have Fletcher concealment and the Repair Party gives them a lot of staying power.  Every little hit you do on a DD, that damage is lasting.  A simple, single Overpen may not seem much at that instant, but those little bits of damage accrue and as time and damage goes on, what a DD can aggressively do becomes more risky the less HP they get.  Kidd, as with all other DDs with Repair Party access, can get back some much needed HP for the late game.  It also helps Kidd, especially with SE trait, have a lot of HP for a DD.  You check a lot on Tier VIII Destroyer reviews, Kidd is the Gold Standard for Tier VIII Destroyer HP.  That Repair Party makes that advantage even bigger.

Where Kidd shines is late game.  When the other DDs are dead or have taken a lot of damage that they can't repair away, that's when Kidd cleans house.

I love seeing a properly played Kidd on my team.

[KWF]
Members
4,882 posts
6,587 battles
3 minutes ago, Abides said:

interesting mentioning CV's... while I don't know how the new CV deal will go... Imagine how strong this ship will be with the influx of new CV players

With minimal effort you can put a serious dent in most CVs. Versus tier VII-VIII she can be really disgusting and can still make any Tier IX-X attacks costly. 

Will definitely take her out more once the patch hits.

Members
6,729 posts
21,129 battles
5 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

With minimal effort you can put a serious dent in most CVs. Versus tier VII-VIII she can be really disgusting and can still make any Tier IX-X attacks costly. 

Will definitely take her out more once the patch hits.

lols, I want to kick myself in the chode...its such a good dd. Why I don't play her is stupid.

[RMRGD]
Members
455 posts
22,847 battles
44 minutes ago, S7CentNickel said:

Is the Kidd worth it in today’s.meta?Especially since it’s on sale. 

With CV rework hopefully she keeps her strong AA.    But she my favorite DD overall even above the Black.   I love Kidd.   If you can shoot USN DDs well then I would say pick up the kidd.   She is all about gunning down DDs and setting fires on BBs.

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,059 posts
6,012 battles

I asked the same question, she's worth it for what was mentioned above. She's a solid gun boat with good torps to use as a back up. 

[SBS]
Members
6,101 posts

Keep in mind you need a high skill point captain and fully spec into AA if you want to be an air threat.  A lower skill point captain or only a partial AA build isn't really going to work all that well.  You'll pretty much need a dedicated captain.  Also, we don't know how the rework will impact AA when it goes live.  The way the AA captain skills and modules have been changed it doesn't seem to favor DDs.  I think the Kidd might end up with less effective AA in the rework.  

[SIM]
Members
5,362 posts
8,824 battles

She doesn’t have a ton of hitting power, but she’s tough as old boots. I don’t like her, because I prefer torp botes and nautical murder, but she’s a good ship and somewhat unique for her healing potion.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,721 posts
12,900 battles

Solo? No it is not worth it.

Properly Divisioned? It can be hilarious fun.

It's ability to do damage is severely limited by it's 5"/38 main armament and single rack of torpedoes with a long reload and no reload booster.

It's hilarious to hear people go on about the AA, but all it really amounts to is that it makes the baseball bat you get beaten with slightly smaller. Though it does evaporate spotter planes.

The only thing it has going for it is the heal, but you have to still be alive to use all the charges. Overextend the slightest bit and you might as well not have it.

It can do 3 things: Spot, lay smoke, and not die.

[BTLST]
Members
30 posts
1,447 battles

The Kidd is my favorite DD in the game.  I recently was playing a match where is was unspotted near a BB pushing a cap. The opposing CV sent their strike aircraft to attack said BB and they flew right over my DFAA which chewed right through the strike and made the surviving aircraft’s drops erratic. Over chat cane both my BB and the red CV going holy sh*t was that DFAA?  Good times 

[-F-]
Privateers, Supertester
333 posts
9,461 battles

Do you like destroyers?

Are you currently grinding the US destroyers?

Do you have the US cruisers?

do you like getting hit hard and reprinting your ship?

if you said yes to any/all of these, then Kidd is for you!

im a US battleship but picked up kidd with dubs after starting to grind the us destroyer line, literally a fletcher with a heal, able to beat on t6s but with only 1 torpedo tube, still get to shoot down more planes though and the torps hit hard. I like the Kidd and it has helped with retraining my captain for the line

Members
1,445 posts
7,009 battles

I'm thinking about picking her up too, especially since I have a homeless Ovechkin with the enhanced SE skill...

Matt