You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Avrova1904

How to launch torpedoes effectively?

24 comments in this topic

Members
342 posts
6,004 battles

I'm playing japanese destroyers but sometimes I am unsuccessful using torpedoes. I played the game Silent Hunter 3 before and in that game you have time to think and make predictions. In this game everything is fast and sometimes I find difficult to hit targets. Is there any guide or tutorial to learn how to use torpedoes?

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,735 posts
12,265 battles

Well, sometimes you need to lead your spread even further ahead than the cone says simply to the fact that the target is maneuvering. If you can anticipate where you think they will stop turning that can help immensely.

[_SMS_]
Members
936 posts
4,341 battles

I'm not trying to insult you or be a smartass but are you hitting x and locking on the proper target so you get the recommended aim indicator? 

If you do that then next step would be to analyze the ship and aim indicator.  If a ship is going into or out of a turn that line is useless as to the actual lead you should use.  Hold fire a few seconds until you can get a feel for the targets movements and probable course taking into account other ships, torps, islands, etc...get as close as your nerves, radar, stealth rating will allow and say a prayer to RNGesus and let her rip.

If you do all this you're still probably going to land less than 10% of your torps.  I think the average for the NA server is 5%. 

Stay alive.  Keep firing them as often as you can. Get as close as you can without being suicidal. Delay your 2nd/3rd salvos a bit so they might repair after the first hits and you get great flood damage on the following sets.

• Cool 2

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,724 posts
12,924 battles

People will complain and yell at you, but don’t be afraid to use wide spreads if things are chaotic and people are maneuvering. Especially if there are multiple potential ships your torps might hit. 

1 hit is better than 0 hits. 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
563 posts
10,581 battles
5 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

People will complain and yell at you, but don’t be afraid to use wide spreads if things are chaotic and people are maneuvering. Especially if there are multiple potential ships your torps might hit. 

1 hit is better than 0 hits. 

Your team members may disagree here.

[GRETA]
[GRETA]
Members
596 posts
18,358 battles
33 minutes ago, Avrova1904 said:

I'm playing japanese destroyers but sometimes I am unsuccessful using torpedoes. I played the game Silent Hunter 3 before and in that game you have time to think and make predictions. In this game everything is fast and sometimes I find difficult to hit targets. Is there any guide or tutorial to learn how to use torpedoes?

It's not only your fault, really. IJN torps have the highest detection range of any nation. Launching them like any old torps will give you poor results as people are quite adept at torp evasion. The trick is to be smart about target selection and predicting their course. Alway remember that before you are absolutely sure that your torps will hit, avoid being seen. If you are, people will know what direction your torps will strike and be able to make evasive maneuvers.

See a BB alone and distracted by your squishy cruisers? Throw torps at his broadside. See corridor where ships will push through? Drop your fishes into it. Have multiple launchers ready? Put some torps in front and behind the target. BB charging at you head-on? Use 1 launcher, force him to turn, then strike him with the 2nd set at close range.

Also, mid to high tier IJN torp boats will have access to powerful 127mm HE shells that rival some light cruiser shells. Don't be afraid to shoot at other DDs or set fires on larger ships after they take a torp or two.

• Cool 2

[DANKY]
Members
734 posts
2,066 battles

Send a replay to @Lord_Zath or @Destroyer_KuroshioKai .  They both specialize in replay analysis, and DKK specializes in, as you can guess, destroyers. His commentary on my Khaba play was really helpful. Just make sure to let them know up front if you don’t want the commentary public. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,724 posts
12,924 battles
16 minutes ago, evanr1940 said:

Your team members may disagree here.

It annoys me to no end how some people will not launch on a low chance shot, only to spend 3 minutes getting to a better spot where they would have been reloaded by then anyway. :fish_palm:

They're torpedoes. You don’t get paid for bringing them back. 

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,341 posts
9,659 battles
3 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

It annoys me to no end how some people will not launch on a low chance shot

People that launch low chance shots and then are on reload when an ideal case presents itself are no less annoying tbh.

• Cool 1

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
1,042 posts
18,589 battles

Just checked my own torpedo hit stats to find that I land torpedoes 8.52% of the time across all tiers in DDs. From what I understand, that isn't too bad. While I can't claim to be an outstanding DD captain, I am a DD main with over 5000 games playing DDs. My recommendations:

- Be patient. While it rarely pays to hold on to torpedoes unnecessarily, sometimes taking the extra few seconds before launch to analyze the situation can pay dividends. Maybe that BB isn't pushing alone and the hydro-cruiser with him will show up a second or two later. Sometimes waiting to see if the target is really committed to something can help you to land torpedoes or avoid throwing them away for nothing.

- Make good use of your detection range. Be constantly aware of your distance from the target as well as your distance to where a target might be hiding. Radar and Hydro will light you up through islands, so be sure you have your Detection Range from Sea, Detection Range from Air and Last Known Position (of enemy ships) active on your mini-map.

- Trust your intuition. (This will improve with time and more experience.) Feeling like the red team might be re-positioning ahead of a flank push by your team? Go ahead and throw those torpedoes into the gap they would have to cross. Feeling like that DD your CV spotted might go ahead and run around the corner of that island? Go ahead and throw some torpedoes to where you think he might be heading.

- I try to avoid using wide-spread, personally. Though I know some will see it differently.

- I try to avoid putting all my torpedoes on one heading unless I am very sure they will strike the target. It is far better to land one torpedo by dropping both (or all three) racks at slightly different angles than to miss with all your torpedoes because the target slowed or turned slightly.

- Be willing to fire one torpedo (if RN) or one rack at a time, allowing for the possibility of a hit, a flood, and a repair. Any follow up hits that flood will do massive flooding damage.

- Try to position in order to be able to use smoke and HE shells to get a target burning if you land one, he floods, and he repairs.

- Don't sit broadside in smoke. When I see smoke I throw torpedoes into it in almost every case. Lots of experienced DD captains will do likewise in the hope that a less experienced captain is sitting in that smoke feeling invulnerable. I know this is not a "how to land more torpedoes" suggestion. But it will keep a DD player alive longer, which can lead to that DD player contributing more toward a win for the team. It's something I feel I would be remiss not to mention.

Just a few thoughts. Some may work for you. Some may not.

Respects,

Am

Edited by Amracil
  • Cool 2

[WOLF3]
Members
28,262 posts
24,670 battles

Surface launched torpedoes are also by nature very low Hit % weapons in this game.  Some games you are getting a crazy amount of hits.  Some games you land only 1 torpedo and are desperate doing other things to get XPs, Ribbons, etc.

Let me use one of the leaders of Fletcher in NA server as an example.  Fletcher is considered one of the best torpedo destroyers in the game.  She is so good in this capacity that some consider Gearing a sidegrade or even a downgrade.  The player I'm using for this example has 299 PVP matches with her and has a 75.92% WR.  There's lots of other good Fletcher players in this screen alone.

izuJDha.jpg

So.  We have a Unicum Fletcher player, how high is his Torp Hit %?

ei2l4wu.png

7.36% for a Unicum Fletcher player.

It's not surprising to have low hit % with torps, especially with more and more games.  Some even in a Battleship are difficult targets because their movement is erratic.  They don't sail straight for long and their speed alters.  This gets worse the further out you launch.  But if you get too close, you may get spotted / radar'd.

Here's one thing I found, if it helps at all.  When ships are there trading shots, maneuvering, your chances to hit them are pretty low.  They're doing circles, turns, angling, altering speed to make themselves harder to hit from gunfire.  They also know that DDs are in between those Cruisers and Battleships trading shots with each other.  It's hard to nail people doing this.

However, a stalking DD catching guys trying to sail full speed, simple movement from one part of the map to the other, that's where they sail "Straight and Dumb."  There's a need to go somewhere fast, so zig-zagging and altering speed slows them down.  Other than a short ranged island ambush, that is the best time to stalk and nail people with torpedoes.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,947 posts
26,466 battles
45 minutes ago, Eugenie_101 said:

Send a replay to @Lord_Zath or @Destroyer_KuroshioKai .  They both specialize in replay analysis, and DKK specializes in, as you can guess, destroyers. His commentary on my Khaba play was really helpful. Just make sure to let them know up front if you don’t want the commentary public. 

Keep meaning to do this; then forget to move the replay to another folder before the stupid 30 count limit deletes it... 😑

[BLHK]
Members
558 posts
1 hour ago, Avrova1904 said:

Dont go all in on your launch. If you can stage your torpedo slavos. Fire one bracket, give a little jink to show you fired. Enemy reacts and shifts to a new bearing..........fire remaining torps and enjoy the accolades of your team mates.

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,460 posts
13,610 battles
2 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Keep meaning to do this; then forget to move the replay to another folder before the stupid 30 count limit deletes it... 😑

There is a quick file edit you can make to set that number to whatever you want. Let me get in front of my pc and I’ll link the thread.

Here:

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/176581-replay-files-gone-30-replay-limit-in-folder-solved/?do=findComment&comment=4152116

Also I am more than willing to help you out, just send them to me.

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai

[-K-]
SuperTest Coordinator, WoWS Community Contributors
5,969 posts
22,141 battles
7 hours ago, Eugenie_101 said:

o/

[SHAFT]
Members
815 posts
18,047 battles
9 hours ago, T_O_dubl_D said:

I'm not trying to insult you or be a smartass but are you hitting x and locking on the proper target so you get the recommended aim indicator? 

If you do that then next step would be to analyze the ship and aim indicator.  If a ship is going into or out of a turn that line is useless as to the actual lead you should use.  Hold fire a few seconds until you can get a feel for the targets movements and probable course taking into account other ships, torps, islands, etc...get as close as your nerves, radar, stealth rating will allow and say a prayer to RNGesus and let her rip.

If you do all this you're still probably going to land less than 10% of your torps.  I think the average for the NA server is 5%. 

Stay alive.  Keep firing them as often as you can. Get as close as you can without being suicidal. Delay your 2nd/3rd salvos a bit so they might repair after the first hits and you get great flood damage on the following sets.

That's the best summary I have ever read about using torps. Nice write up.

The only thing I can add, especially with IJN dds is to practise the art of the fake. Lock on, see where the indicator is, hit x to unlock, wait a couple of seconds and hit x to lock on again. Some folks have priority target equipped and will know when you are switching between guns and torps. Mix it up and keep them guessing especially as you play higher tiers.

As you get more experienced you will yourself relying less on the indicator and adjusting your launches to be either just before or behind as you get better at reading the WASD hacks sequence.

And yup, Lord Zath is your friend, link him up, he'll help.

Last word, IJN torps are feast and famine, accept that and you will have a less stressful time grinding out the line. It gets significantly harder to land more than one torp per launch as you go higher up the tiers.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts

Remember that you don't necessarily have to hit anything with your torpedoes in order to contribute to the team.  One DD can deny the enemy a cap or other strategic section of the map by sending the occasional wide spread of torps. BBs, especially, are wary of entering an area in which they know there is a DD.

In order to hit consistently you need to be close. Of course, this has the downside of the possibility that you will be radared and eliminated. When closing in, always try to plan an escape route. Also, try to learn how players react to torpedoes. Most will turn into them. Therefore, send a spread along the white line and then another to the side of it in anticipation of the turn.  Many times, what I will do is send a narrow and a wide spread along the same course. As HazardDrake said, one hit is better than none.

Finally, don't totally discount the torpedo run. I took out a full-health Minotaur today by rushing it after I was radared..  

[WORX]
Members
11,457 posts
19,196 battles

With a %15 torp hit ratio. I can only recommend the following.

• Train your self on the FUBUKI, ISOKAZI, or V-170
  • Never leave port with anything below 10pts cpt on these ships. 
  • Never waste your torps on a ship that is sailing away from you
  • Learn how to only use what you need to sink ships, (that means you dont stick 3 salvos on a BB that only needs one).
  • Use your concealment and smoke wisely
  • In the tiers these ships operation, the first fleet o lose their Cruisers and DDs first will eventually lose their BBs to torps.
  • Map awareness
  • Only torp Cruisers, when they're in constructive situations. Open water, hits are only done because they're not aware of your presence in the first place.

I think I covered the basics... Aiming wise hat is hard to explain and I rather you learn from the hard knocks of experience and trail and error.

GL/HF

Edited by Navalpride33

[LSNB]
Members
1,626 posts
4,780 battles
8 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Never knew that. I have a personal folder next to the replays folder that I like to put good replays in.

Edited by destawaits

[KRAK]
Members
3,718 posts
21,738 battles
10 hours ago, Avrova1904 said:

Use the fastest speed torps you can and get as close as possible.

[BSL]
Members
1,231 posts
21,333 battles

Always shoot the second batch behind the first (not in line with the first).  Knee jerk reaction is always to turn in to torps, so that behind shot may get them.

[WOLF3]
Members
28,262 posts
24,670 battles
3 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Remember that you don't necessarily have to hit anything with your torpedoes in order to contribute to the team.  One DD can deny the enemy a cap or other strategic section of the map by sending the occasional wide spread of torps. BBs, especially, are wary of entering an area in which they know there is a DD.

You want to stop a push dead in its tracks?  Have a DD drop some torps and remind the bast*rds that someone is there.  They either stop or slow down considerably, buying your team time.  In high tier this is terrifying because of the sheer torpedo power there.  Fletcher & Gearing torps.  Shima 15 torpedo waves.  Some fast reloading torps like on Z52.  Then there's the DWTs such as from Asashio, Chung Mu, Yueyang.  Not to mention BBs in Tier IX-X lose the agility they had in Tier VIII and below.

Even an enemy DD that could avoid those torpedoes may hesitate to push on if his Cruiser / Battleship support behind him are scattering or reluctant to go on.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway