You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

To spend steel, or not to spend steel?

32 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
18,199 posts
12,673 battles

Here is the dilemma. I have a little over 175,000 coal and a coupon, and about 1300 steel. Salem is almost within my grasp. (Yes, I have considered Jean Bart. No, she doesn't fit my requirements right now the way Salem does.)

There is a part of me that wants to part with 500 steel in order to be sure I have her while the upgrade modules are dirt cheap and fit them all at once. I'm not exactly rolling in credits right now.

Is it worth it, or should I just let it go, keep the steel, and accumulate the modules one by one as I find the silver for them? It's going to be quite a while until I feel ready to take her out in Clan battles or anything else serious, and with premium time on board I can probably derp around in co-op getting used to her while she's still ill-equipped.

[SIM]
Members
4,665 posts
7,770 battles

Steel is sacrosanct, coal less so, credits least of all. Personally I’d rather grind out credits for modules in my other premiums than spend Steel towards them.

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,613 posts
9,807 battles

Salem can't do much that the Des Memes can do better. Then again I am not really a fan of the Memes/Salem's play style, I much prefer more mobile cruisers such as Zao, Hindi, or HIV. For me the Salem only gets me another super container when WG hands them for each T10 you own and not much else.

[WOLFC]
Members
203 posts
8,642 battles

If it were me I would spend the steel. I only have about 2,000 steel and don't see myself getting any big amounts of it anytime soon. With my work I can never find the time for clan battles, and I have never ranked out. So this is about the only steel I can get.  Maybe get some more if WG puts out another event like the snowflake. I am not going to fork out $60 for a campaign to get more. So in my case no need for 2,000 steel to sit in my account for years, will spend it if I am close to getting a ship I want, like your situation. More power to the guys who can get those steel ships. I hope they have fun with them.

Edited by JBR40

[PVE]
Members
4,992 posts
22,432 battles
11 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Here is the dilemma. I have a little over 175,000 coal and a coupon, and about 1300 steel. Salem is almost within my grasp. (Yes, I have considered Jean Bart. No, she doesn't fit my requirements right now the way Salem does.)

There is a part of me that wants to part with 500 steel in order to be sure I have her while the upgrade modules are dirt cheap and fit them all at once. I'm not exactly rolling in credits right now.

Is it worth it, or should I just let it go, keep the steel, and accumulate the modules one by one as I find the silver for them? It's going to be quite a while until I feel ready to take her out in Clan battles or anything else serious, and with premium time on board I can probably derp around in co-op getting used to her while she's still ill-equipped.

W/the +200% 1st win bonuses going on this week (& the premium time) you should be able to grind out some creds pretty quickly over the next few days (more XP/battle = more creds)...more so in random than co-op though.

Although w/only 1300 steel it's a long grind to getting any of the ships that steel can buy so you only need to decide if you will be able to use the steel in any meaningful way towards an actual steel ship in the future (there was a disclaimer that steel giveaways were not gonna be frequent & the snowflake type events are gonna be a rare thing) or if it's best for you to not have an unusable resource just sitting around gathering dust while it can be converted for something usable now.

It does sound like you intend to join CBs at some time though so you will have steel to add to the 1300 in the future so if that is your intention I would lean towards saving the steel so you have less you need to grind later...but then again that is only a consideration if there is actually any of the steel ships that you are interested in more than the Salem.

Salem does have major cred printing potential w/the built in 50% post battle on top of the 50% post battle of the camo...bring T10 service costs from 180k down to 45k...not counting signals.

[A_51]
Members
961 posts

Just on general principle, I would never trade a rare resource for a less rare resource.  Credits, in particular, are the easiest to come by.  I would sell a tech tree ship I don't like or play often before I would trade steel for credits.

[PVE]
Members
19,835 posts
11,995 battles
55 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

52 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

Steel is sacrosanct, coal less so, credits least of all. Personally I’d rather grind out credits for modules in my other premiums than spend Steel towards them.

This^^

Keep the steel. You can get the modules over time, but getting steel is hard.

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,631 battles

Don't spend the steel. I'm eking my way along towards Flint (my personal goal), but the Salem isn't disappearing anytime soon. There are plenty of ways to get coal, like the snowflakes (if you have any left) or the containers.

Members
2,302 posts
10,644 battles

I’m going to take a contrary view from most people here: Spend the steel.

1.5k steel isn’t very much. Unless you’re about to get a seriously large amount from this holiday season or this season of clan battles, it’s realistically going to take you 6+ months to get enough to afford even the cheapest steel ship.

You might not still be playing the game then. Why trade something tangible you could buy now for something that might not even matter in the future? You’d have an additional six months of playtime on the Salem if you spent the steel now. 

Also, the Salem in my experience is not a bad ship. She’s very similar to a Des Moines which is 100% a very solid ship.

Members
1,536 posts
10 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

175,000 coal and 1300 steel......SLACKER.............................hehehehehehehe

Question, will the steel rust if we keep it in port for extended periods of time? Salt Water and steel do not agree and I don't have a bunch of boatswains mates available to bust all that rust.

[ARGSY]
Members
18,199 posts
12,673 battles
30 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

It does sound like you intend to join CBs at some time though

I have fought a few with rented ships. Thus far the experience has not been a good one, mostly due to inexperience with the CB meta and unfamiliarity with the ships in question. Being able to bring my own ship would at least change the second half of that equation.

1 minute ago, pewpewpew42 said:

the Salem isn't disappearing anytime soon.

The issue is getting hold of her while the module outfitting cost is cheap, but the unified voice of the respondents is clear.

36 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

the built in 50% post battle on top of the 50% post battle of the camo...bring T10 service costs from 180k down to 45k...not counting signals.

It's not so much the credits coming IN but the relative lack of credits flowing OUT on a per-battle basis that interests me. As many nations found out IRL, there's no point paying for the best ship you can buy if ongoing service costs keep it rotting in dock.

2 minutes ago, Gavroche_ said:

You’d have an additional six months of playtime on the Salem if you spent the steel now. 

I don't think it's going to take me more than a week or two to find another 5000 coal, and then I'm up to 180,000 and the voucher takes care of the rest. 

[A-I-M]
Members
2,685 posts
12,339 battles
57 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I don't think it's going to take me more than a week or two to find another 5000 coal, and then I'm up to 180,000 and the voucher takes care of the rest. 

I think that’s best. If you get a couple double drops of coal in the daily containers, and knock out the daily missions, you’ll be all coaled up in three days. Four, tops, with no double drops.

I dont know when the upgrade discounts expire, but I did outfit a T10 this week, and I figured the discounts saved me a little over 3,000,000 in credit costs. 

As has been stated, the low operating cost of the Salem can have you clearing that credit hurdle if waiting to buy stretches you past the sale.

Lift the couch cushions and look for any lost change (sift around for any snowflake ships you can still capitalize on).

Buy any T5 you can now (at 50%off) for snowflake purposes, then sell it after the discount runs out (at 50% of full price). It will take some credits away in the short term, but if it gets you across the line in coal, you can then get some of the upgrade slots filled before the discount expires.

And dont forget - if you hang on to your steel, the Salem puts you in immediate position to have 1500 steel.

Edited by MannyD_of_The_Sea

Members
660 posts
26,708 battles

Just Buy whatever you want. You may be dead tomorrow, Hell you may be dead later today. 

The Point is enjoying every moment while your here. Spend it! Spend it all! 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[A_51]
Members
961 posts
8 minutes ago, Filthy_Pelican said:

Just Buy whatever you want. You may be dead tomorrow, Hell you may be dead later today. 

The Point is enjoying every moment while your here. Spend it! Spend it all! 

This message has been brought to by the developers, employees and their families at Wargaming.  Happy Holidays!

• Funny 1

Members
480 posts
12,244 battles

You can buy the modules while they are cheap and put them in later when you have the coal to buy Salem without using steel

[A-I-M]
Members
2,685 posts
12,339 battles
2 minutes ago, Visidious said:

You can buy the modules while they are cheap and put them in later when you have the coal to buy Salem without using steel

Ummmmm, no.

You buy them by clickining on the open slot in the ship in which you install them. 

You might be able to buy them in a compatible ship and demount them.

At a 25-doubloon cost per upgrade demount, I’d rather eat the credits.

Members
480 posts
12,244 battles
8 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Ummmmm, no.

You buy them by clickining on the open slot in the ship in which you install them. 

Oh yea, I was thinking about this being free as it was possible to put them in rental ships from clan wars and they go into your inventory when the ship loaner period ends.

My bad 

[PVE]
Members
19,835 posts
11,995 battles
12 minutes ago, Visidious said:

4 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Ummmmm, no.

Yeah, you have to buy them for a ship you have and the credits is not worth the doubloons IMO. But, if you have not bought the upgrades for the clan rental ships, then buy them now as when the clan rental ships are removed on Jan 2nd, you get the upgrades demounted for free.

[A_51]
Members
961 posts
18 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Yeah, you have to buy them for a ship you have and the credits is not worth the doubloons IMO. But, if you have not bought the upgrades for the clan rental ships, then buy them now as when the clan rental ships are removed on Jan 2nd, you get the upgrades demounted for free.

Now that is clever.  Never would have crossed my mind.

[PVE]
Members
19,835 posts
11,995 battles
9 minutes ago, Seaneroo said:

Now that is clever.  Never would have crossed my mind.

Saves you a lot.

Slot 1 is normally 125,000 and now is 50,000

Slot 2 is normally 250,000 and now is 100,000

Slot 3 is normally 500,000 and now is 200,000

Slot 4 is normally 1,000,000 and now is 400,000

Slot 5 is normally 2,000,000 and now is 800,000

Slot 6 is normally 3,000,000 and now is 1,200,000

So with 3 Clan rental ships, you can save almost 12.4M credits right now on purchasing upgrades.

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
18,621 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I once saw you post steel for coal and that was horrifying enough - but steel to save CREDITS …

The Horror … the Horror

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
18,621 battles
1 hour ago, Kizarvexis said:

Actually this is an automatic thing you should do when there's a sale … equip every ship including rentals 

Also you can stockpile the more valuable ones if you're willing to remove them for doubloons before you put on final options

Note: if you have an upgrade in inventory already, you won't get discount since it comes out of inventory first

Edited by Commander_367