Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Avrova1904

Shiratsuyu - Smoke or more torpedoes?

9 comments in this topic

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,257 posts
5,135 battles

Oh! For the halcyon days of having both! WG really took the fun out of Shira with the Nerf! If your good at run n gun take torps if not go std DD and use the smoke.

[INTEL]
Members
6,895 posts
27,673 battles

I always run it without smoke and make it a point to announce early in the battle so allies don't expect smoke

Good ship.

[HEROS]
Members
1,499 posts
12,750 battles

I gotta agree with these guys.  Your guns traverse slow slow slow, and won't keep up with the ship in a a hard turn so torps are your main weapon.

Don't discount the guns,  get good with them.  They hit HARD, and their HE and AP may be the hardest hitting DD guns in the tier..  Had a cleve (tier8) come around an island on my yesterday with torp tubes dry, and reload on cool down.. at least the guns were pointed in the right direction.. and I loaded AP.  3-5 salvo's later the cleave was sunk and I was at 1/3 my full HP..  The Cleve took 18 to 24 shell hits from me of which 13 were cit hits...(kinda hard to miss the citadel, he was that close, and I got closer..managed to get under his guns.)  He was unhappy to say the least.   Don't discount your guns ever.  IJN 127's are deadly accurate once you get used to the gun arcs and the lead you have to punch in.

But yes TRB for the win,and if you have the coal accrued I recommend getting the engine boost extender upgrade for slot 2  being able to stay under boost 50% longer can give you a a lot more options (be sure to run the premium consumable)

Your not going to avoid radar ships for ever but try to keep your self in the outer 10%of their radar range, that way you can just drive away with minimal damage..and unless they have one hella advantage they will not pursue!  Use all the range of your torps..never waste em on a ship driving away at more then 7 Km, they'll out run them before they ever see them.  But you can fire them merrily away at targets up to 13k out if they're heading your way.  Patience.. try to never fire more then one torpedo rack per target.  If yer rack misses odds are really good that the other 3 (with booster) will miss too.   A well handled IJN DD with TRB, no-smoke and watching distances carefully can imitate an entire division of "normal" DD's, clear a cap, turn a flank and generally cause no end of mischief for the other team.

And a last piece of advice.. IJN, TBD DD's are hunter killers.. not scouts, not cappers.. they can do that and do that very very well, but your primary job is killing ships.

Some BB wants you to scout..tell 'em to get their fat BB [edited]up with all their armor, and their self heal and scout them selves.   You do your job and know what this is. and to hell with what the selfish nit wits who have no bloody clue how to really drive a nosmoke DD.   

Good Luck, Good Hunting!

TL_Warlord_Roff

P.S.  RPF commander skill essential as a Hunter Killer, more so even then concealment.  get the 4 point RPF skill and no one will ever ever EVER be able to sneak up you unless someone closer all ready has your attention.

Edited by TL_Warlord_Roff

[CVA16]
Members
2,802 posts
10,545 battles
On 12/28/2018 at 11:53 AM, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

RPF commander skill essential as a Hunter Killer, more so even then concealment.

I agree RPF is a good skill but no way it outranks Concealment for most (all?) IJN DDs.

[HEROS]
Members
1,499 posts
12,750 battles

My experiences differ, but at this point I have hundred of hours of play in IJN DD's.. My stats would be better but I'm a tad... over "aggressive".

Once you get into higher tier play and where your dealing with airpower and radar and long range hydro, seeing opposing ships is critical...  Seeing opposing RADAR carriers is essential  (Usually cruisers).. you need to know where they are so you know to get em to burn their radar while your in a position to mitigate it's effect on you.  Most radar cruiser can get into radar range without being spotted and that can be very very VERY bad news for a DD with it's pointed in the wrong direction.   Radar cruisers more then any other reason is why I've dispensed with using a concealment module on my higher tier DD's and running Target acquisition module in its stead which one allows me to see them at their adjusted surface detection range (what ever it is) +20% of that range.  Concealment expert on the commander is sufficient when run with a TAM and RPF covers nicely for the lack of extra concealment though learning to correctly understand what RPF is telling you is a matter of experience, map knowledge, and listening to your gut.

I run all my TRB equipped IJN DD identically..  They all run  with a engine boost extender module (boost stays up 50% longer.. very handy and hey you can pick one up for a , 17,000 coal out of the arsenal, less with cupons.  They all run the longest range torpedo's they have availible.

Its both a generalized yet very specialized setup.  I could go full concealment but that limit what I can do.  Remember out there in game you cannot depend on your team mates to do the right thing, much less the smart thing.  Using a build that depend on team mates doing their job right is just asking and begging to get sunk.  I've been told it's a very "selfish" build I run..Maybe it would be if I let ship do the driving, but I don't.

I tend  to put myself squarely in harms way.  And as I said earlier I AM aggressive.  Get into position to carry the fight to the other team early, no matter what your driving.  Shoot often, shoot fast, shoot accurately and don't stop shooting.  I kill cruiser with guns on IJN DD's.  did you know that IJN 127 loaded with AP will beat the snot out of any cruiser in the game at under 5 Km?  Aim for the engine room, they won't last long.

To be good in IJN DD's there days means you can no longer be a one trick pony.  Specializing on defense leaves you weak on the offense or weak in sensors  or both and neither you nor your team can afford it.  Even shimmy drivers have had to go learn to use their guns!

and do note that a well handled IJN DD is a terror, perhapes still more so then any other DD type.  In my torpedo boats I have driven half or more of an enemy team away from where the wanted to go just by keeping the torps flowing.  Often times with out support at all be cause the cruisers and BB's all decided it was better to go hide behind a rock and not get shot at instead of taking the fight to the enemy.  As a DD driver be prepared to deal with your team leaving you high and dry so be flexible both in your ship set up and your thinking..  Someone on your team has to actually THINK.  You will find that you often will be stuck with the job.  It's not fair, but it is that way it is.

Edited by TL_Warlord_Roff

Members
137 posts

This must be the worst 'gun' boat in the entire game. Lets compare the Shira with its counter on T7 the Akatsuki. You could use the wows fitting tool (https://wowsft.com/) which I have done and compare them with the  same build/commander skills 

1) Artillery.  Aka has better turret traverse of about 2 seconds or more depending on skills.  It looses on range though as Shira's range is 11 km and Akas is 9.4. However in a DD that is not going to make much difference.

2) HE spam. Even though Shira is the 'gunboat' the per salvo damage and DPM is higher on the Akastuki. And not by a little bit. About 95,000 DPM on Shira and 115,000 DPM on Aka -ouch that is gonna hurt1

3) AP - same story. Higher by a serious margin on Akastuki. This is of course very logical captiain - the Akastuki has 6 guns and the 'gunboat' Shira only has 5 guns. Really? Yes really!

4) Torpedoes. They both have the exact same type of fish with same speed, detectability, damage etc. Only Akastuki has 9 torps in 3 launchers and Shira 6 torps in 2 launchers. Akatsuki also reloads them 50% faster!!!  Thus Shira looses out again; which was to be expected as she is not a torpedo boat.

5) AA which is quite important now. Virtually none existing on Shira and rather good on Akastuki - you will actually shoot down aircraft.  Shira has no far range AA - none!. Aka has with a 93 % hit probability and 2,170 dps (again Shira 0!! zero!!!)

6) Hull. Akatsuki has 300 more hitpoints!?  Why that is ? Who knows.. but Aka is just stronger and will last longer than the gunboat.

7) Mobility. Akastuki wins again: speed 38 knots and Shira a miserable 34

8) Concealment. Finally we got something in which Shira is better. It has a 600 meter better concealment. And that is the only thing in which she shines. At least if you are no uptiered because then most other DDs will have a better concealment. 

So you take your Shira out for a spin and Artillery, HE, AP, Torpedoes, AA, Hull strength and mobility are all far worse then her T7 counter part. The only going for you is... 600 meters better concealment (provide you are not in a T8 or T9 game).  All in all pretty amazing that she is being advertised as a gunboat whereas the Akastuki (the torpedo boat line) is a far, far better gunboat than she is.

Of course all this did not matter when she  was originally released and could equip both smoke and torpedo reload booster. That made her a real animal - but now she is a sad, defunct creature...best left at port. Well you only get her to get to the next one, which,  just makes it all worth while. 

Sign in to follow this