You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

52 comments in this topic

[_-_]
Members
3,146 posts
8,242 battles

I highly recommend everyone go at least check out PT 8.0 this weekend, especially all the ones who've been predicting, guessing, assuming, prognosticating, and fantasizing about the CV Rework. Youtube replays and streams are nice, but you need to actually see it to make an informed assessment.

I was wrong about some of my assumptions, spot-on with others. There is much to see.

It's hard to have an informed discussion without, you know, information.

• Cool 10
  • Meh 2

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
13,613 posts
5 minutes ago, So_lt_Goes said:

I highly recommend everyone go at least check out PT 8.0 this weekend, especially all the ones who've been predicting, guessing, assuming, prognosticating, and fantasizing about the CV Rework. Youtube replays and streams are nice, but you need to actually see it to make an informed assessment.

I was wrong about some of my assumptions, spot-on with others. There is much to see.

Oh, I plan on it.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,630 posts
14,367 battles
7 minutes ago, So_lt_Goes said:

But, but ... so many want to base it on conjecture! :Smile_unsure:  Seriously, though ... it's definitely worth checking out.  +1 for the PSA.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[WOLF7]
Members
12,492 posts

90% of the player base has no interest in carriers, and WG has already made their decision....so why would anyone waste their time playing PT?

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 9

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
13,613 posts
1 minute ago, awiggin said:

90% of the player base has no interest in carriers, and WG has already made their decision....so why would anyone waste their time playing PT?

I have my reasons. 

If nothing else, so I can get the survey and tell them off for making a mess of BFT and AFT.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,359 posts
10,912 battles

i dont have to play the PT to know how this rework is going to end up, a blind man could see that this rework will eventually fail once the usual "MM flood" of people trying out the newest thing dies down, because people either get bored of the repetitive gameplay, or just realize how crap it is, WG decided not to listen to feedback in the Beta testing, so now they have to learn their lesson the hard way if this rework fails, theyve made their bed, now they have to lay in it

Edited by tcbaker777
  • Cool 5
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 4

[_-_]
Members
3,146 posts
8,242 battles
6 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Oh, I don't know, maybe new AA mechanics?

Or be able to comment without talking out of one's aft?

• Cool 2
  • Funny 6

[USCC2]
Members
5,786 posts
15 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Guess I'm in the 10% then; I've never played carriers and wasn't going to start whilst it was under review, but I fully intend to give them a go.

I just hope the impact of the new play style isn't one that leaves a crater the size that killed the dinosaurs! :Smile_hiding:

[SALVO]
Members
24,197 posts
24,546 battles

Honestly, I never play the test server, for a couple of reasons.

1. I am NOT downloading a full second instance of the game client. 

2. Playing on the PTS takes away from playing on my normal account and working the various missions.  So, not gonna happen.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 1

[WOLF7]
Members
12,492 posts
18 minutes ago, So_lt_Goes said:

Oh, I don't know, maybe new AA mechanics?

Or be able to comment without talking out of one's aft?

I've been watching WG fall on their butt for years. People already know that WG will push this thru, regardless of how bad an idea it is. 

It only took them three years to admit that CV's are broken, you prepared to go another three before they realize this wasn't a good idea? 

Edited by awiggin
  • Cool 2
  • Meh 5

[ARGSY]
Members
18,134 posts
12,575 battles
13 minutes ago, So_lt_Goes said:

I was wrong about some of my assumptions, spot-on with others.

Would you care to enlarge on this? 

I went and looked, and burned through the first half of last night's gameplay time giving it a go. For myself, I found the rocket and bomb attacks extremely frustrating to make, and that will need a lot of practice when this thing goes live. None of the YT vids I watched made it clear just how tricky the timing is to ensure you can put your ordnance in the right place.

Part of the problem may have been my mouse; I was possibly not clicking for the drop with enough authority, which meant that I was constantly overshooting bomb drops, and it will probably require replacing. (I also have problems with the hold-down-the-button-and-hose-shells method of firing with the Atlanta, which is the other thing that makes me think it's a mouse issue.) I probably also need to take a CV into the training room against some stationary bots or moving-not-shooting ones and get properly acclimatised to the dropping mechanics before I try it under fire again.

It is not point-click-kill; there is a very definite learning curve here, but it's not the sort of thing which is going to drive me mad with frustration. Current carrier players who try this out are going to realise for the first time that their manual drops really were semi-automatic. I can fully understand why WG made the decision to eliminate manual carrier control; you're going to be really busy here.

I am experiencing a certain hilarious frustration that the rework is coming in just when I was becoming comfortable with the RTS style, a definite indication that I should be careful what I wish for. Against that, I'm not sure how well my comfort with a 1:1:1 Bogue would translate into comfort with a multi-air-group Japanese carrier at high tier. I have tried it on the PTS, and that would require a whole different level of "git gud".

One thing this has firmed me on for sure; the torpedo drops were much easier than the bomb and rocket attacks, and that will mean getting up to Tier 6 before the rework drops.  There's currently a 25K XP mission in the Prinz Eitel Friedrich campaign; doing that should help, and I enjoy the Bogue enough in co-op that it won't be a misery. Yes, Randoms are easier and I might even give that a go, but my first CV experience in Randoms was not pleasant and I can probably progress almost as quickly in co-op now that I have Warships premium time.

I found it interesting that in the PTS, the carrier line diverges from the destroyers rather than the battleships as it currently does. If this continues into the live client, IJN fans who are new to the game will be spending a LOT of time in the Isokaze.

I will NOT be ditching my carriers. For me, this looks worth trying out.

• Cool 3

[YORHA]
Members
4,795 posts
9,423 battles
28 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Maybe because 90% of the player base might find they now enjoy the least popular platform in the game now that they are no longer an ADD twitch fest?

Edited by JCC45
  • Cool 1
  • Meh 3

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,455 posts
11,240 battles

Can't wait to get my money back for the Saipan.  

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
13,613 posts
12 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

Maybe because 90% of the player base might find they now enjoy the least popular platform in the game now that they are no longer an ADD twitch fest?

ADD twitch fest?

Have you ever actually played more than a half dozen battles in the current interface? 

At least when I was playing it back before the USN CV nerf, it was the least stressful, least twitchy, least gonzo aspect of WOWS.

• Cool 2

[SEOP]
Members
1,555 posts
8,233 battles
54 minutes ago, So_lt_Goes said:

HERESY!

[WOLF7]
Members
5,120 posts
1 hour ago, So_lt_Goes said:

Definitely on my weekend list.  I played one game last night, and realized I'll need some good uninterrupted learning time to get the timing and the geometry on the bomb drops, and also how far I have to pull away to get a good re-attack with rockets, or with bombs, which will be different things as well.  

By the way, anyone notice that you are given half a billion credits?  I wondered why that was...till I looked in the Arsenal on PTS...

The more people who play in the next ~3.5 weeks, the more things they'll already have started adjusting for the live release.

Members
2,628 posts
4,235 battles

AA needs a bit of help.  They at least changed long and mid range AA to deal constant damage to a single plane but flak bursts seem to be thinner and deal less damage now.  Tier 4 I get,  T4 carriers are struggling to do much of anything without torpedo bombers,  but at 6 and up you'll start to feel it.  I understand they don't want any one ship to always be able to prevent drops without help from DFAA but I think they need to balance it so that AA heavy ships who properly focus AA should be able to only allow you to get off one full drop before finishing off your planes.  Course then you get into AA stacking and...listen this is going to be really difficult to balance.

Oh RNG,  how I hate you.  Watching shells straddle a ship is already frustrating enough,  its even more so to watch all three of your bombs land on entirely different sides of a ship.  

Basic rockets are kinda meh.  Tiny Tims are pretty good though,  the improved penetration and damage has more then made up for the loss in numbers so far.  USN getting the dive bomber circular drop pattern of the Zeppelin is nice. Double torpedo planes are nice but probably need to be introduced at T8.

IJN torpedo planes high speed torpedos are nice and hit hard.  Their AP bombers need some help though.  Their rockets are nothing really noteworthy.  

For the love of god,  give us the option to turn off auto-damage control.  Auto-fighters are...a thing but I don't always want to repair one fire.  Maybe consider changing the AI of the fighters to stick near to the CV,  I've seen two CV's lure out my fighters with one squadron so the other could strike me without interference. 

T6 and up is fun,  but T4 is a bit of an exercise in frustration right now.

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,732 posts
12,273 battles
19 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I went and looked, and burned through the first half of last night's gameplay time giving it a go. For myself, I found the rocket and bomb attacks extremely frustrating to make, and that will need a lot of practice when this thing goes live. None of the YT vids I watched made it clear just how tricky the timing is to ensure you can put your ordnance in the right place.

Part of the problem may have been my mouse; I was possibly not clicking for the drop with enough authority, which meant that I was constantly overshooting bomb drops, and it will probably require replacing. (I also have problems with the hold-down-the-button-and-hose-shells method of firing with the Atlanta, which is the other thing that makes me think it's a mouse issue.) I probably also need to take a CV into the training room against some stationary bots or moving-not-shooting ones and get properly acclimatised to the dropping mechanics before I try it under fire again.

It is not point-click-kill; there is a very definite learning curve here, but it's not the sort of thing which is going to drive me mad with frustration. Current carrier players who try this out are going to realise for the first time that their manual drops really were semi-automatic. I can fully understand why WG made the decision to eliminate manual carrier control; you're going to be really busy here.

I am experiencing a certain hilarious frustration that the rework is coming in just when I was becoming comfortable with the RTS style, a definite indication that I should be careful what I wish for. Against that, I'm not sure how well my comfort with a 1:1:1 Bogue would translate into comfort with a multi-air-group Japanese carrier at high tier. I have tried it on the PTS, and that would require a whole different level of "git gud".

One thing this has firmed me on for sure; the torpedo drops were much easier than the bomb and rocket attacks, and that will mean getting up to Tier 6 before the rework drops.  There's currently a 25K XP mission in the Prinz Eitel Friedrich campaign; doing that should help, and I enjoy the Bogue enough in co-op that it won't be a misery. Yes, Randoms are easier and I might even give that a go, but my first CV experience in Randoms was not pleasant and I can probably progress almost as quickly in co-op now that I have Warships premium time.

I found it interesting that in the PTS, the carrier line diverges from the destroyers rather than the battleships as it currently does. If this continues into the live client, IJN fans who are new to the game will be spending a LOT of time in the Isokaze.

I will NOT be ditching my carriers. For me, this looks worth trying out.

You don't see much on bombs because after you get to aiming them properly, it's still up to RNG if your going to get a hit (bombs landing outside the reticle, and the target being smaller than the reticle), and then even more RNG if that hit is effective (that perfect drop, no way they can miss, one bomb hits, other flies somewhere else, and that one hit, is an overpen or a bounce). The timing issues with bombs doesn't help, makes them even harder to aim than they should be, given that RNGusus is you bombardier.

Rockets actually aren't that bad, the timing is smoother,  outside the Lexington so far, it's reasonable to get hits, just the hits don't do much. Lexington for some reason has a huge dispersion circle with the 5" rockets, and the rockets seem to land in a clump somewhere the target isn't in that circle.

[NATO]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts
6,663 battles

As much as Ive been hating on the new version, I would be negligent if I didnt at least ATTEMPT to dl the test client and give it a try from both CV perspective and from an AA spec cruiser and US partially AA spec'd BB. Ive always set my US BB's to have some increased AA ability, more for close range torp bombers that long range AA.

Hopefully it wont take 24hrs to dl lol

[_-_]
Members
3,146 posts
8,242 battles
21 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

One thing this has firmed me on for sure; the torpedo drops were much easier than the bomb and rocket attacks, and that will mean getting up to Tier 6 before the rework drops.

Disclaimer: This is based on Round One, 2 more rounds to go, with various tweaks no doubt.

For CV play: after playing the CV mission in the US line and trying out the IJN as well, I was wrong about the controls being childishly easy. They are very wobbly with horrid over-steer, even using a joystick with A-D sensitivity reduced.

I too found torp drops to be easy-peasy. Non-AA blessed BB's are in for a world of hurt, I was right about that.

For Non-CV: I did the Non-CV Mission too. Destroyers have little to fear; business as usual. Except for the USN AA monsters, BB are hosed unless they group up for mutual support. Even then, the torp drops are so fast and close that BB are going to eat torps all day long. Cruisers, especially USN and Russian, seem to rule the roost. In fully AA-spec Helena and Des Moines, planes aren't even a nuisance. Didn't even bother with side reinforcement or evasive action...just hit Def AA and rack up he plane kills.

General Gameplay: Granted this is PT not live, but from what I've seen DD's will be CV-hunting like fiends, cruisers will just ignore the planes and go do the usual cruiser stuff, and of course the BB will just kind of try to keep up with the game flow while complaining 24/7 (justifiably) about the CV torp mechanics.

Like I said, this is just one four-eyed potato's first impression. I encourage folks to experience it themselves, all the better prepared for when it goes live. :cap_book:

• Cool 2

[_-_]
Members
3,146 posts
8,242 battles
22 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

By the way, anyone notice that you are given half a billion credits?  I wondered why that was...till I looked in the Arsenal on PTS..

Yeah, it's weird how you have to go buy your T10's instead of just having them in port.

[187]
Members
1,626 posts
10,788 battles
1 hour ago, FlakKnight said:

I'm bringing my pitchfork in anticipation.

I'm sorry I was out of upvotes...this is funny!

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
531 posts
3,592 battles
3 minutes ago, So_lt_Goes said:

Yeah, it's weird how you have to go buy your T10's instead of just having them in port.

I assume that's because you can automate three transactions for dubs/creds/fxp a lot easier than 8600 transactions for every ship and module for each player.

Members
2,628 posts
4,235 battles
18 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

You don't see much on bombs because after you get to aiming them properly, it's still up to RNG if your going to get a hit (bombs landing outside the reticle, and the target being smaller than the reticle), and then even more RNG if that hit is effective (that perfect drop, no way they can miss, one bomb hits, other flies somewhere else, and that one hit, is an overpen or a bounce). The timing issues with bombs doesn't help, makes them even harder to aim than they should be, given that RNGusus is you bombardier.

Rockets actually aren't that bad, the timing is smoother,  outside the Lexington so far, it's reasonable to get hits, just the hits don't do much. Lexington for some reason has a huge dispersion circle with the 5" rockets, and the rockets seem to land in a clump somewhere the target isn't in that circle.

Try the Tiny Tims on the Lex.  Better penetration,  better damage,  better fire chance,  better accuracy,  but you only get two per plane.  Its been a good trade off for me so far.