Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Legio_X_

Why do players in German BB's try to snipe from range?

39 comments in this topic

Members
2,258 posts
4,965 battles

I'm talking about these players in T8+ BB's. They know better. They know the dispersion sucks at range and they need to get in close. So why do I see Bismark players trying to snipe at 20+km range? IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.  

• Cool 1

[MUDDX]
[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
21,869 battles

for the same reason any other BB players do! To annoy their fellow team mates ie this post! But most of all! Because They Can!

[CSM]
[CSM]
Members
490 posts
5,156 battles
3 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

I'm talking about these players in T8+ BB's. They know better. They know the dispersion sucks at range and they need to get in close. So why do I see Bismark players trying to snipe at 20+km range? IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.  

Well nine times out of ten you have been uptiered and are facing T10 cruisers and BB's.

Getting any closer than 20 km will get you melted down into slag in about a minute or two.

So it's snipe and pray or serve the purpose  that WGing is expecting of you and pad the stats of the T10's.

Not that I'm bitter or anything:cap_cool:

• Cool 9
  • Meh 3

[TOG]
Members
4,083 posts
22,381 battles

Maybe they forgot they have secondaries? And rolling the RNG dice to see if they have a tight grouping? it does happen.

Members
509 posts
9,024 battles

Why do most DDs (looking at Japanese DDs) don't want to contest caps?

Why do players go from one flank all the way to another flank?

Many such questions can never be answered. Just take it in your stride and try to carry as much as possible. Else good luck in the next match :)

[BNKR]
Members
1,577 posts
2,106 battles

I feel like the opposite is more often true. They have too much faith in their armor and secondaries and go barreling into caps, only to get spit roasted by the two destroyers they never had a chance against. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,536 posts
10 battles
24 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

I will fire at those ranges as I am closing the distance. If you have a ship that is going in a straight line you can hit them at max range and do decent damage. 

Members
357 posts
11 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

Any battleship that gets within 12km of the hostiles WILL become the target of every other ship in range. To the point where no amount of angled armor (thank you zero-skill HE), turtle back scheme, cool down management, and TDS will keep you alive long enough to get within range of your secondary armament. A situation not helped when the 11 other players on your "team" decide that you're the perfect sacrificial lamb to keep the other guys busy while they take ineffective pot shots from their maximum range before running back to cower behind their island of choice. Oh and lets not forget that if you do push you will A) get zero support which results in dying and B) be ridiculed for dying "like a noob" because the idiots yelling at you refuse to stop mating with islands long enough to capitalize on any push made.

Hence why German battleships - or any ship in this game - hides in the back at tier 8+. Its the only way you stay alive long enough to not put up with the [edited] that the players here throw out.

If you want it to stop then shut your hole and get side by side with the battle wagons that do push up. Otherwise we'll keep in the back hoping for lucky hits and refusing to be your meatshields.

• Cool 7

[SFBG]
Members
1,664 posts
9,417 battles
6 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

I feel like the opposite is more often true. They have too much faith in their armor and secondaries and go barreling into caps, only to get spit roasted by the two destroyers they never had a chance against. 

^^^This.   They act like they are immune to damage.

Personally, when playing T7 and up German BBs, I usually, try to land hits as soon as targets come in to range, with the intention of always closing the gap.

If I get some random damage, it's a bonus.   That said, it's always at stock range. I always use Secondary or Survival builds on KMS BBs.

[CSM]
[CSM]
Members
490 posts
5,156 battles
3 minutes ago, DemonicTreerat said:

If you want it to stop then shut your hole and get side by side with the battle wagons that do push up. Otherwise we'll keep in the back hoping for lucky hits and refusing to be your meatshields.

I second this motion, :cap_like:.

Lead the way I'll follow in my Bismarck!

Members
1,536 posts
10 battles
1 minute ago, DemonicTreerat said:

Any battleship that gets within 12km of the hostiles WILL become the target of every other ship in range. To the point where no amount of angled armor (thank you zero-skill HE), turtle back scheme, cool down management, and TDS will keep you alive long enough to get within range of your secondary armament. A situation not helped when the 11 other players on your "team" decide that you're the perfect sacrificial lamb to keep the other guys busy while they take ineffective pot shots from their maximum range before running back to cower behind their island of choice. Oh and lets not forget that if you do push you will A) get zero support which results in dying and B) be ridiculed for dying "like a noob" because the idiots yelling at you refuse to stop mating with islands long enough to capitalize on any push made.

Hence why German battleships - or any ship in this game - hides in the back at tier 8+. Its the only way you stay alive long enough to not put up with the [edited] that the players here throw out.

I have the PERFECT example for this. Last night I am in my Massachusetts and I always support my cruisers and DD's when pushing a cap point. We had TWO friendly DD's, did they help spot? Did they contest the two enemy DD's? NO all they did was sit in their smoke and farm damage off battleships. They left me high and dry and let the two enemy DD's have their way with torpedo attacks when simply spotting them would have let me deal with them with manual secondaries. So I died because I tried to support two idiots who cost us the game. 

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,405 posts
10,769 battles
28 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

12 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Because there's a fine line between the two and if you don't get it right you get roasted by quotes like  #1 or  #2 . Its not as easy as it sounds especially being bounced from tier 7 to tier 10 totally different play styles .

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles
2 minutes ago, OtterWolf said:

^^^This.   They act like they are immune to damage.

Personally, when playing T7 and up German BBs, I usually, try to land hits as soon as targets come in to range, with the intention of always closing the gap.

If I get some random damage, it's a bonus.   That said, it's always at stock range. I always use Secondary or Survival builds on KMS BBs.

I try to close the gap in Scharnhorst because her strength is brawling.  She has very good BB armor but only 11 inch guns BUT in close in a brawl with a red BB she has great secondaries and TORPS.  Close in she is deadly and if I have good health left I can generally kill most BBs in a brawl if there are no other reds shooting at me.  I got secondaries set up with 7K range. Issue is she is now so often low tier in fights with tier 8-9 BBs. Used to be she was high tier much more often.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
28 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

Maybe because they don't know any better.  Not every player visits the forums or knows the strengths and weaknesses of every nation, line, and ship.  Also, some BB players get even more cautious than usual when they're bottom tier.

4 minutes ago, UssIowaSailor said:

I will fire at those ranges as I am closing the distance. If you have a ship that is going in a straight line you can hit them at max range and do decent damage. 

If you're truly trying to close the range, it's not always the best idea to open up at long range, even if you have a nice shot.  Sometimes, it's better to stay dark and close to a nice moderate range, at least if it's safe to do so, rather than opening up at long range and giving away your location.  Of course, it's a situational decision.

21 minutes ago, sansfaille said:

1. Why do most DDs (looking at Japanese DDs) don't want to contest caps?

2. Why do players go from one flank all the way to another flank?

Many such questions can never be answered. Just take it in your stride and try to carry as much as possible. Else good luck in the next match :)

1. I don't trust torpedoes as a close range, anti-DD weapon.  And I don't think that IJN torp boat DD guns are worth spit in a brawl.  Oh, they can be nice if you want to engage enemy DDs at longer ranges where USN DD guns will be floaty and inaccurate while IJN torp boat DD guns will hit like a truck.  But at short ranges, IJN torp boat DD guns will suffer from their longer reloads, and get out DPM'd.

Also, if you're in a DD with terribly slow turning turrets, short range brawls are a very thing.  DDs with slow turning turrets are much better off in long range gun duels.

And Russian DDs with terrible concealments have no business charging into caps.  If you have a Khab with a 9.7 km concealment, you'll get outspotted by some CLs!!!  Sure, you can get the concealment on a Khab lower, but at a terrible cost that most Khab players are loathe to pay.  No, the Khab is much better off, ignoring concealment since its strength is in long range gunboating, which makes it a terrible capper.  Now, OTOH, if WG would just greatly reduce these RU DDs concealments to much more reasonable and playable (as cappers) levels, you might see a lot more Russian gunboats being willing to get into caps.  But as long as they can be out spotted by a country mile or 2, it's really nuts for them to charge into caps, unless they really have the odds stacked in their favor.

2. Tell me about it.  This drives me nuts!  What a total waste of time to sail across your spawn like that!!!  

[B_Y_F]
Members
502 posts
11,960 battles

German BB is mean to lead the charge and fight close to the enemy....But, after ten times my team abandon you as a bait for their retreat. I learn to stay alive first and fight later.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,405 posts
10,769 battles
3 minutes ago, Crucis said:

If you're truly trying to close the range, it's not always the best idea to open up at long range, even if you have a nice shot.  Sometimes, it's better to stay dark and close to a nice moderate range, at least if it's safe to do so, rather than opening up at long range and giving away your location.  Of course, it's a situational decision.

This I love and I will work on ^ I do give away my position to early a lot for a long range shot .

3 minutes ago, sapient007 said:

German BB is mean to lead the charge and fight close to the enemy....But, after ten times my team abandon you as a bait for their retreat. I learn to stay alive first and fight later.

^ This is also very smart .

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
Just now, clammboy said:

This I love and I will work on ^ I do give away my position to early a lot for a long range shot .

Sometimes, you can get off an early long range volley unspotted.  It's something to look for.

Members
1,135 posts
7,142 battles

RNG is RNG, I've deleted an Iowa with Tirpitz from 20km before - 7 cits - lol

So long as they're shooting you have nothing to complain about. I'd rather a teammate who keeps firing at any range than a teammate who's obsessed with rushing in to "brawl" only to get focused down instantly. To me at least, more shells in the air = more probable hits = more damage. Just keep shooting.

Edited by reaper_swpz

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
13,879 posts
10 minutes ago, sapient007 said:

Yeap. 

Sorry, but some players need to realize that no one else has the "job" of sinking to keep your ship afloat or serve as bait or whatever.  

If you want other players to risk their ships, then get in there and risk your ships with them.

• Cool 1

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,405 posts
10,769 battles
4 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Sometimes, you can get off an early long range volley unspotted.  It's something to look for.

I think your right but in a Bismarck while closing range with those guns its not worth taking the long shot and giving away your position . I'm going to wait till I get a little closer from now on I'm going to work on that . I tend to die from being to aggressive . I hate sitting in the back I get bored quick my problem is a lack of patience .

[DDM_]
Members
1,553 posts
5,583 battles

People complain about BB's not pushing when what they're really upset about is that the BB isn't out front getting shot at and spotting in order to allow them (in a cruiser) to park behind an island and farm HE damage on the targets the BB is getting shot by, or if in a DD, to sit just outside the CAP and spam skill walls towards the targets the BB is getting shot by. 

Should the day ever come when cruisers and DD's actually screen and support their BB's then maybe the BB's will push more. 

Beta Testers
898 posts
14,840 battles

Because of HE cancer.

Never ever before was HE that popular.

You have HE specialized dd HE specialized BB.  German BBs was designed as brawlers problem is if you go close 14 reds over HE you.

[DANKY]
Members
734 posts
2,066 battles

Two things I hate to see:

• One German BB rushing into certain death, such as a choke point guarded by a larger # of enemies with vision control and good cover.  Yes, the Holy Word Of God says that German BBs should get close, but it also says that suicide is a sin. 
  • German BBs chiling at the B line when the team's DDs and CLs are well forward and competing for the center.

What do I take home from this?  Positioning is situational and every ship 'belongs' somewhere different, depending on the scenario.  I'd just repeat what a unicum named Kenny Rogers once said:

"You've got to know when to hold your position
Know when to charge 'em
Know when to back away
And know when to run"

Edited by Eugenie_101
  • Cool 1

[ALL41]
Members
510 posts
12,680 battles
19 minutes ago, R_Razor said:

People complain about BB's not pushing when what they're really upset about is that the BB isn't out front getting shot at and spotting in order to allow them (in a cruiser) to park behind an island and farm HE damage on the targets the BB is getting shot by, or if in a DD, to sit just outside the CAP and spam skill walls towards the targets the BB is getting shot by. 

Should the day ever come when cruisers and DD's actually screen and support their BB's then maybe the BB's will push more. 

That's one of my main gripes (mostly bb player, co-op).    I'll watch T10 cruisers hiding way in the back, refusing to come at all close, and take some of the attention/damage.    After I've gone into brawl with my T8 bb, and survived it with maybe 1/3-1/2 my health left, I'll see those T10 cruisers are still hiding 12~15km in the back with 100% of their HP left.    

Sign in to follow this