You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SJ_Sailer

Is Atlanta worth $41 in 2019

68 comments in this topic

[MHG]
[MHG]
Members
883 posts
3,850 battles

I have only two premium ships I got discounted for $15 and $25 a Leningrad and Sims.  I am a DD's main and these did not see like a big expenditure and I do not buy premium time or anything so I can help support WOWS from time to time.  I also spend some time in cruisers, specifically the Fiji and working Dallas up to Helena.

$41 is more that I really plan to spend for anything in WOWS but with CV rework, would you say it is worth the price?  It has unlimited DFAA and Radar in T7 but I hear it is pretty delicate with no heal like Fiji has and shell arcs are terrible.

Love to hear thoughts.  Use a free Fiji or drop $41 for Atlanta?  Which do you have more success in and which do you suspect to have more success in the future?

[PTRGT]
Members
384 posts
41,494 battles

No,  but to me no ship is work the regular price. I got mine when it was on sail for $32 and its still my favorite Light Cruiser to play

• Cool 2

[SQUAD]
Members
2,119 posts
12,160 battles

Atlanta is a monster with a thin skin.. go watch Jingles' Atlanta video. The AA and the guns are some of the best in terms of raw firepower/DPM.... but it is very muchjlike driving a DD... don;t get spotted and don't get hit... if yo enjoy DD play but wish you had more guns and crappy torpedoes... well. :)

• Cool 2

[A-D-F]
Members
2,009 posts
7,210 battles

The price won't be changing any time soon but the AA will be changing with 0.8.0.  I would wait for feedback from Youtubers on the ramifications of the carrier rework for AA-centric cruisers like the Atlanta.

• Cool 1

[MHG]
[MHG]
Members
883 posts
3,850 battles
7 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

The price won't be changing any time soon but the AA will be changing with 0.8.0.  I would wait for feedback from Youtubers on the ramifications of the carrier rework for AA-centric cruisers like the Atlanta.

Think they will change or eliminate DFAA?

[KWF]
Members
3,992 posts
6,111 battles
9 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

DFAA will exist, however it was stated in the recent video that the following 1-2 updates will be pretty imbalanced due to the CV rework. So one of the main points of Atlanta could become moot, for a while at least.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 1

[SQUAD]
Members
2,119 posts
12,160 battles
30 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

I have only two premium ships I got discounted for $15 and $25 a Leningrad and Sims.  I am a DD's main and these did not see like a big expenditure and I do not buy premium time or anything so I can help support WOWS from time to time.  I also spend some time in cruisers, specifically the Fiji and working Dallas up to Helena.

$41 is more that I really plan to spend for anything in WOWS but with CV rework, would you say it is worth the price?  It has unlimited DFAA and Radar in T7 but I hear it is pretty delicate with no heal like Fiji has and shell arcs are terrible.

Love to hear thoughts.  Use a free Fiji or drop $41 for Atlanta?  Which do you have more success in and which do you suspect to have more success in the future?

• Cool 1

[_SMS_]
Members
936 posts
4,245 battles

Nope.  Before the fire nerf it was AMAZING - probably overpowered.  Now it's just another USN light cruiser.  She is still fun to drive every now and then and still capable of good games with the right circumstances but overall I would not recommend and I would not buy her again if I had the chance

• Cool 1

[GLF]
Members
928 posts
15,044 battles

Atl went on deep discount last year on or just after new years.  It was like $27.  Hold out a bit and see if it goes cheaper. 

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
18,100 posts
12,562 battles

It depends on whether you're buying her as an AA cruiser or for her surface gunfire potential. I tend to emphasize gunfire against other ships, with the AA a bonus when CV's come calling for me or whatever I'm close to. 

The surface gunfire potential isn't going to change very much, but if you want her specifically for the AA then in your position I'd hold onto my money, wait a couple of patches and see how things are going.

• Cool 1

[CSM]
[CSM]
Members
490 posts
5,113 battles

The only good Atlanta, is a dead Atlanta!:cap_viking:

Get it if you want to be the most hated ship on the map.

[AK]
Members
298 posts
9,557 battles

Its good for spotting and killing DDs in contested caps. Also for burning down cruisers and BBs. But the armor is paper so you'll get deleted just like a destroyer would. Also, the gun range is bad. Most other cruisers will be able to slap you around from outside your 11k range. The boat works best if you have a teammate that can draw fire so you can support them by melting the enemy ship.

Edited by CTMAADawson
  • Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Members
2,009 posts
7,210 battles

If you are a dd main then you need to be looking at the T-61 not the Atlanta.

Do yourself a favor and check out the youtube reviews AND LittleWhiteMouse's review of the T-61.

[SBS]
Members
5,194 posts
2,421 battles

The Atlanta is my most played ship.  I don't have any AA spec on her and she is still a blast to play.  It is a hard ship to play well because it has short range guns and terrible armor.  Making things worse, the entire enemy team will be gunning for you.  That said, if you can figure out how to make it work I don't think there is a ship that is more fun. 

As someone said the ship went on sale several times this past year with a deep discount.  I don't know if that will happen again any time soon.  Personally, I'd hold off and wait to see how the new meta pans out and see if a discount comes alone - and if the Atlanta becomes the AA ship, then I wouldn't expect a sale in the near future.  Its sort of funny, WG was almost giving these ships away and now they could be highly desirable.

Not bad advice to consider the T-61 because it will be more of a sure thing, where the Atlanta is hit or miss for most people.  If you have specific questions on the Atlanta, how to play, set it up, captain skills and so on, we are here to help.

• Cool 1

[MHG]
[MHG]
Members
883 posts
3,850 battles
11 minutes ago, T_O_dubl_D said:

Nope.  Before the fire nerf it was AMAZING - probably overpowered.  Now it's just another USN light cruiser.  She is still fun to drive every now and then and still capable of good games with the right circumstances but overall I would not recommend and I would not buy her again if I had the chance

If you had to choose to take Atlanta or Fiji out today in a Random game, which would you choose?

[WOLF5]
Members
3,528 posts
3,798 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It depends on whether you're buying her as an AA cruiser or for her surface gunfire potential. I tend to emphasize gunfire against other ships, with the AA a bonus when CV's come calling for me or whatever I'm close to. 

The surface gunfire potential isn't going to change very much, but if you want her specifically for the AA then in your position I'd hold onto my money, wait a couple of patches and see how things are going.

This. The reason to play the ATL is the guns. They're hilarious. The AA is great, but more of a bonus. The unlimited DF is a gimmick, I have never run out of standard DF on any other ship. The radar is not unlimited.

If you want a good solid ship, the ATL is not for you. It's very fragile and the shell arcs are terrible. But if you want a ship for fun, then there is no better choice. That DPM is hilarious, and the games where you do well more than make up for the bad games. Is it a good ship, maybe. Is it a fun ship, absolutely. Depends on what you want. Personally I don't regret buying mine.

BTW, you have a treat coming up in Helena. That firepower is awesome, and it's just tanky enough to not explode if a BB looks at you. It's my favorite ship in game both for effectiveness and fun factor.

• Cool 1

[MHG]
[MHG]
Members
883 posts
3,850 battles
12 minutes ago, DarkStormy said:

The only good Atlanta, is a dead Atlanta!:cap_viking:

Get it if you want to be the most hated ship on the map.

Used to it, I play DD's and they are the constantly focus fired.

[ARGSY]
Members
18,100 posts
12,562 battles
1 minute ago, AJTP89 said:

But if you want a ship for fun, then there is no better choice.

It is also a wonderful choice for mission tasks that require you to mine fires, main-battery hits and spotting ribbons (because it lights up hidden ships with radar). Mine has been of inestimable use to me in this regard. Take it into co-op, park near the entrance to the centre channel in Two Brothers and get ready to light the bots up (in more ways than one) when they come through.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,815 posts
11,212 battles
16 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

DFAA stays the same, however, part of her nightmarish ability is how powerful her long range AA is, as well as the range of it, when you start adding things like manual AA, and while I can't recall if that's staying, she's losing around 2.5 km from her AA range (as are all ships whose long range AA maxes out around 7.5 km) because they are getting rid of the range upgrades and just stacking up damage. That said, rework AA is as screwed up, if not more so, than live AA. It's even less consistent on either nuking planes or letting them through. That and post rework, there's liable to be few, if any, CV's within a month. The gameplay gets boring too fast - a common complaint they refuse to acknowledge, even some of the most hardcore rework supporters, that don't want CV's to just die, have said it's an issue. So, you might as well not even consider her AA abilities and instead her anti-ship abilities.

Atlanta is thin skinned - a DD with a citadel. However, as she is reliant on both IFHE and CE - this makes her excellent as both a DD and CL trainer, less so a CA and BB trainer. Her reload and  and sheer number of main battery guns are an absolute terror. Some CA and BB can shrug it off to an extent, but her arcs allow use of islands as you literally burn them down. Some CL's can be punched through by 127 mm rounds, and of course, even easier to pen with IFHE, and trust me, machine gunning an IJN cruisers citadel with the AP can be fun. Her main target and really role - is that of a DD hunter. If I recall correctly (wiki lacks the info, can't jump on at the moment) she has both Radar AND Hydro to hunt them. You do not want to be a DD in guns range and LoS of this or Flint - It will ruin your day with 14 guns firing 12 RPM. And because she uses 127 mm guns - she can benefit from AFT and BFT. Which, given she has insane traverse rates, can free up the points for the 3rd 4 point skill if you really want that extra range out to around 12 km. 

[WOLF5]
Members
3,528 posts
3,798 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It is also a wonderful choice for mission tasks that require you to mine fires, main-battery hits and spotting ribbons (because it lights up hidden ships with radar). Mine has been of inestimable use to me in this regard. Take it into co-op, park near the entrance to the centre channel in Two Brothers and get ready to light the bots up (in more ways than one) when they come through.

Oh definitely, a few hundred main battery hits is not remarkable, as well as the resulting fires. And I don't play Coop that much, but it is a monster against the bots.

[GLF]
Members
928 posts
15,044 battles
9 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

I'm a dd main, and i feel like the ATL is just a big DD anyway :) 

• Cool 1

[MHG]
[MHG]
Members
883 posts
3,850 battles
17 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

Do yourself a favor and check out the youtube reviews AND LittleWhiteMouse's review of the T-61.

You read my mind, I was considering the T-61 or Z-39 also.  Have almost enough coal for a German 10pt commander and I have no no German ships.  You take T-61 over Z-39?