You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CaptainTeddybear

Free XP Problem

17 comments in this topic

Members
3,725 posts

There are less and less things available for Free XP but at the same time there is massive Free XP inflation. The special flags have increased the rate of Free XP generation exponentially, with nothing to spend it on players are going to be XP'ing all the way up lines they have no idea how to play.

The special flags need to be toned down and there should be an exchange rate of Free XP for Coal and Steel.

• Funny 2
  • Meh 1

[MUDDX]
[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
21,869 battles

I see nothing wrong with earning massive amounts of Free XP using the bonus signals to get it. I had so much a few months ago that I was able to get all the US CAs tiers 6 to 10 and now the bonus signals are helping to get ships to knock snowflakes off for coal.  There is no problem with players getting higher tier ships and not knowing how to use them unless of course one just must see it that way! I for one have no problem with the easy targets they present!

Members
772 posts
5,282 battles
23 minutes ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

There are less and less things available for Free XP but at the same time there is massive Free XP inflation. The special flags have increased the rate of Free XP generation exponentially, with nothing to spend it on players are going to be XP'ing all the way up lines they have no idea how to play.

The special flags need to be toned down and there should be an exchange rate of Free XP for Coal and Steel.

I don't see this as an issue and I think it's intentional. WG understands the "gotta have it now" mentality and catering to that keeps people interested in the game. I can understand the issue with newer players, but I already have 3 T10 BB's. Why should I be forced to grind the Conqueror, Yamato, or the new Russian BB line when it arrives. I know high tier BB play pretty well by now and this free xp economy lets me just get to the only ship I am really interested in, which is the tier 10.   

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,557 posts
33,709 battles

Fre XP is indeed easier to get. Still has uses for upgrading ships and captains when needed. I see no issues.

Would I like more ships with FXP? Sure, who wouldn't.

[KWF]
Members
4,044 posts
6,192 battles

My only real issue with the Free XP inflation is that it also affects doubloons. You have to convert more real life money to get the newer ships if you aren't just grinding the Free XP.

• Cool 1

Members
707 posts
4,742 battles

I'd be a fan of allowing the exchange of Free XP for Coal. At least open up the doors to a few more ships, I've been saving my Free XP in the hopes that they'll release a new tier 7 boat and I'm almost in tier 9 territory now...

[PTRGT]
Members
386 posts
41,874 battles

Free XP was originally so you could use it to quickly upgrade your ships. Imagine taking your new T8 BB into into 1st game  without having the upgraded hull and get sucked into a T10 game...  Only later did wargaming start letting you purchase ship for it.

One buddy of mine Free XP's most of the British DD line to get the T10 ship for the Steel snowflake

Members
3,725 posts

I would MUCH rather people exchange Free XP to buy Coal or Steel than use it to instantly jump from Bogue to Midway.

I used all my Free XP at Thanksgiving for Kronstahdt (which I was never that interested in) and I'll have at least 600k Free XP at the end of today.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,851 posts
11,298 battles

It's less inflation and do to the numbers usually handed out, more like short term stimulus packages - that are horded ill the next ship is out because theres no set schedule or the like where we know say, every 6 months a new one will show up, give or take. Also -

1. Free XP ships (they need some more low tiers)
  2. Captain training
  3. Ship research - skip or finish some of the more painful grinds
  4. module research - get a ship to fighting level faster

Part of why I'm against Alaska having a tier 10 price tag - we use this for other stuff because it takes time to farm 750k XP even when you can get 15-20k but only for 5 matches if you do well, under the right conditions. Part of why I missed Mo as well as them lying it'd stay on sale permanently, in which I missed it also due to Free XP I used on those other 3 things. This so called "inflation" is a non-issue, and if Wargaming says otherwise, it's a cover for "we want more from XP conversions" cause lord knows I have millions of XP to convert - but never had the money before and even if I had it now I've cut them off. 

[WOLF1]
Members
2,863 posts

i always find it funny that players have to "learn" along the way to play t10? why, the biggest hurdle of learning is at t1, when player first have to learn about everything, t10? just like t4 or t7, not so much

Edited by Happy668

[TOG]
Members
4,083 posts
22,381 battles
4 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

i always find it funny that players have to "learn" along the way to play t10? why, the biggest hurdle of learning is at t1, when player first have to learn about everything, t10? just like t4 or t7, not so much, yes even start by playing t10 is not that much different than start by playing t1

Only that you die faster if you did something you wouldn't do if you knew better. You can get away with exposing your broadside at T1-T3 due to the low ROF and terrible dispersion . You start dying when you do that at T4. You go from full HP to zero in a blink of an eye in at T10. You have to learn the capabilities and weakness of the ship you're playing AND  the capabilities and weakness of the ships you're likely to encounter. Then you have to learn the maps. So T10 is much more challenging then T1. You keep losing if you don't keep learning.

[ARGSY]
Members
18,327 posts
12,750 battles
2 hours ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

The total value of all free XP premium ships so far offered in the game is three million six hundred and twenty five thousand. This includes Missouri if you were around at the right time to get it, and Alaska when it is finally released.

After that, there are ship modules (B hulls, torpedo/gun fire-control and engine upgrades, etc.) and skipping entire ships if you so feel the urge. That comes to somewhere between 700K and a million for every T10 ship you jump to from Tier 1 (less if there's a line split somewhere that absorbs some of the costs). And after that, if you still feel like you have too much, you can put it into creating 19 point captains in various builds.

I also note that in one breath you are railing against people who FXP their way up to tiers they're not ready to play in (which is a fair criticism) and in the very next sentence you are advocating being able to buy steel with FXP and thereby acquire Tier 9 and 10 premiums. Contradictory much?

[WOLF7]
Members
12,516 posts
3 hours ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

You do realize most players don't spend the kind of time you do in this game...right?:Smile_amazed:

For them, every boost counts.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
13,880 posts

First, never mistake what's going on in a video game for an economy of any sort.  Especially here, where there's not even a pseudo-market, and WG gets to set all the numbers, both how much "Free" XP can be generated, and how much it costs to buy things with it.   There's no such thing as inflation here, there's nothing to drive up costs or drive down "value", it's all entirely controlled from one place. 

Second, I might have considered buying Alaska at 750000.  At 1000000, there's no way I'm touching it - and I have almost 1200000 "Free" XP saved up. 

Third, "Free" XP is a bit of a misnomer when they're charging real money to convert it off of "elite" XP on ships.

[A-I-M]
Members
2,702 posts
12,387 battles
1 hour ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

I don't see this as an issue and I think it's intentional. WG understands the "gotta have it now" mentality and catering to that keeps people interested in the game. I can understand the issue with newer players, but I already have 3 T10 BB's. Why should I be forced to grind the Conqueror, Yamato, or the new Russian BB line when it arrives. I know high tier BB play pretty well by now and this free xp economy lets me just get to the only ship I am really interested in, which is the tier 10.   

You, General, and KilljoyCutter, are one of a very few that “gets it.”

WG heard the hue and cry for additional Free XP earning and saw the avenue to create the “problem” and bide theit time to offer their “solution”.

Their answer to the masses was to monetize the sale of Free XP-generating flags and camos, both directly and in event boxes/crates/containers.

Of course, this put more XP in the accounts of player, enough so that players could get all of thr Free XP ships they wanted, and still bank enough to lay out for the Alaska. 

So, players sit on their FreeXP, keeping it fro the “next big thing”, which takes forever to come, and WG expresses “concern” at the amount of Free XP in players’ accounts, and makes the “necessary” increase in the Free XP cost of upcoming releases. 

And the player base, having some familiarity with inflation, swallows the premise.

The likening of it to an inflationary cycle breaks down upon the realization that the WoWs economy has little in common with a real economy. In a real economy, money is in constant ciculation between buyer and sellers, producers and consumers. When circumstances increae the amount of money in circulation, buyers  try to buy more with that money, and sellers try to (or must) sell their goods for more money. And this cycling of money through various hands various times, exerts the upward price pressure that we know as inflation.

The key thing to understand is, compared the above, the “WoWs economy” is not an economy at all. It is a two-party business relationship - customer and business. Yes, thousands of customers, but there is no circulation of money and goods between them that would define an “economy”. 

What has happened, is that WG heard customers express a desire to generate Free XP faster, the create a way to monetize that (make the customer pay for it), and now they’re moving to get back the revune they used to get on the Free XP conversion transactions. 

But it’s not inflation...its simply WG deciding to monetize the generation of Free XP, then making the unilateral decision to get back what they gave up in Free XP conversion...and keep in place what they've done on the generation end.

Members
3,725 posts
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The total value of all free XP premium ships so far offered in the game is three million six hundred and twenty five thousand. This includes Missouri if you were around at the right time to get it, and Alaska when it is finally released.

After that, there are ship modules (B hulls, torpedo/gun fire-control and engine upgrades, etc.) and skipping entire ships if you so feel the urge. That comes to somewhere between 700K and a million for every T10 ship you jump to from Tier 1 (less if there's a line split somewhere that absorbs some of the costs). And after that, if you still feel like you have too much, you can put it into creating 19 point captains in various builds.

I also note that in one breath you are railing against people who FXP their way up to tiers they're not ready to play in (which is a fair criticism) and in the very next sentence you are advocating being able to buy steel with FXP and thereby acquire Tier 9 and 10 premiums. Contradictory much?

I have the Missouri and Nelson. I also bought Kronstadht although it wasn't something I was that interested in. I have the Yamato with the legendary upgrade so no need to get a Musashi.

That leaves?     Nothing.

Alaska will be out in the future but I am less interested in that than I was in the Kronstadht.

I would gladly buy flags since WG has greatly reduced the drop of combat flags compared to economic flags, as well as the addition of coal and Free XP to the drops which also takes away from combat flags.