You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Grinding my second 19 pointer; input desired.

26 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
18,141 posts
12,619 battles

I am about to start this grind in earnest with ~700K ECXP up my sleeve, and I have a choice of:

Jack Dunkirk - currently 460K ECXP away from the goal, assigned to Monarch, could be rotated through Nelson and Warspite, and at great cost in efficiency through Cossack, Gallant and Campbeltown.

The goal here would be to alternate Jack with my 19 pointer through the British premiums, knowing I should always have at least one of both the captains and the ships to go with, and eventually it can all go to Jack.

I also have an anonymous US cruiser captain, closer to 600K away, so a longer grind, but offers other choices of ships. Assigned to New Orleans. Could be rotated to Indianapolis without issues, and at some cost in efficiency through Texas, Atlanta, Sims and Monaghan. In addition, I will soon have Salem.

What would you do? Go for the one that's closest? Or pick the second 19 pointer from a different nation to give me a broader range of ships to do the grind in? My current 19 pointer is reasonably well balanced across all my British premiums and his home ship (Edinburgh), but giving the other candidate a different range of ships to play through might make the grind more bearable if I'm not just playing UK ships all the time.

[CUTER]
Members
832 posts
25,050 battles

How many games do you intend to play in each of those ships?

Which line of ships do you like more?

My gut says go with the closer one and any more elite commander xp earned along the way past the 19 point base can just be reinvested into the next line and group of ships.  

I strongly recommend playing a singled captain for each ship type within a class.  In other words, your British should have three captains being groomed, one for DDs one for CLs and one for BBs.  It May take a bit to grind them all out, but will make it less costly when bouncing them around.

• Cool 1

[BSL]
Members
1,130 posts
19,618 battles
4 minutes ago, Kongo_Pride said:

I strongly recommend playing a singled captain for each ship type within a class.  In other words, your British should have three captains being groomed, one for DDs one for CLs and one for BBs.  It May take a bit to grind them all out, but will make it less costly when bouncing them around.

I concur

[ICBM]
Members
676 posts
7,937 battles

Choose the captain you will play most. For example, my first 19 pointer was on my Khab, which I play ALL the time. This is good because its fun for me and because I rack up tons and tons and tons of elite commander XP. Additionally, when you do get your next 19 pointer, you might consider putting some bonus camo on your chosen favorite ship becuase it really makes a big difference in getting elite xp. 

Good luck.

[ARGSY]
Members
18,141 posts
12,619 battles
6 minutes ago, Kongo_Pride said:

It's a bit different for the British than the other nations, because their tech tree cruiser captains do not require and cannot use HE-related skills, and there is a good crossover of skills between all the lines - Priority Target, Superintendent and Concealment Expert are good for all (smoke on DD, smoke and heal on CL, heal on BB), while Last Stand is a must for destroyers and can be helpful on the cruisers (I used to get my rudder and engines blown out a lot in CL's).

In the long term, however, it's good advice.

3 minutes ago, mrieder79 said:

Choose the captain you will play most.

LOL. I play a variety of ships across multiple nations these days, which is more fun for me as regards gameplay and it means I have a broader range of ships with which to attempt tasks. 

Given that one of my other goals this year is to finish at least two of the permanent campaigns, it should probably be the captain of one of my Tier 8 tech tree ships.

Members
768 posts
5,214 battles

Am I the only one who finds it puzzling that the OP has all of ONE 19 pt captain after that many battles?  Heck.. I have 1432 randoms + 253 coops and I have

Montana - Hockey Jersey Ovechkin: 19 Points

Mass - Random Captain: 19 points

Republique - JJ Honore: 18 points with 150k left

Kron - Dasha: 18 points with 100k left (Off topic but she can speak Russian to me ANY TIME) 

Musashi - Yamamoto: 18 points with 100k left

Within the next 2 weeks, all 5 will be at 19 points. 

• Boring 1

[BLHK]
Members
558 posts
34 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

Am I the only one who finds it puzzling that the OP has all of ONE 19 pt captain after that many battles?  Heck.. I have 1432 randoms + 253 coops and I have

Not really OP said they like to play a variety of nations. I was the same. It was about 3000 battles before I got my first 19 pointer, for the same reason. I was grinding US German and French cruiser lines all at the same time. Yes not very clever, but I just had fun doing it that way

[ARGSY]
Members
18,141 posts
12,619 battles
47 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

Am I the only one who finds it puzzling that the OP has all of ONE 19 pt captain after that many battles?

I don't play this game to grind to T10 or accumulate captains for their own sake; I play it to have fun, which means a lot of co-op and often multiple different lines played in one night. The love gets spread around a lot.

Up until now I haven't been running regular premium time, but I chose the time to buy a year of that very well. 65% XP bonus instead of 50%? Gimme.

I do not, however, buy flags and I do not as a rule spam containers. So that constrains how much flag-heavy grinding I can do. Getting my first 19 pointer earlier this year and then grinding the FXP for Musashi during Twilight Battles cost me most of the flags that I had, but between those two things it was worth it. I'm hoping we get a rerun of Space Battles or something like it around April so I can go nuts with a whole heap of borrowed 19 pointers again, which gets back to the point made here:

3 minutes ago, BearlyHereBear said:

You'll accumulate EliteXP as you get more 19 ptrs more quickly.  Then you can diversify for HE vs AP RN CAs etc...

The trick, I am sure, is to get at least the second. Then you should always have one in your port if the first one is sunk & waiting to come back. And as for RN CA's, Exeter is probably going to be one of those things I will buy in a heartbeat.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[WOLF2]
Members
1,589 posts
10,169 battles

It took me probably 4k games to get my first 19 point skipper, obtained last November.     I too play across every nation and class (although I do neglect my DD play).   So, instead of 19 pt skippers, I had a bunch in the 12 - 15 point range.

My approach was to use a snowball approach.    Take the EXP and throw it into the skipper that was closest to 19.   Get him to 19 and then throw the EXP into the next closest one.    My first three were a US skipper and two UK skippers.   I then started looking at building up the different nation skippers.    Focus all the EXP into my IJN skipper, then my German Skipper, and then my French skipper.      

I grew that first 19 pointer into my 11th by the one-year mark of getting my first.

Now, I'm tailoring the selections, by class.    Regardless of approach, they'll build up fast.

Good luck!

[PHASE]
Members
6,256 posts
19,790 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I am about to start this grind in earnest with ~700K ECXP up my sleeve, and I have a choice of:

Jack Dunkirk - currently 460K ECXP away from the goal, assigned to Monarch, could be rotated through Nelson and Warspite, and at great cost in efficiency through Cossack, Gallant and Campbeltown.

The goal here would be to alternate Jack with my 19 pointer through the British premiums, knowing I should always have at least one of both the captains and the ships to go with, and eventually it can all go to Jack.

I also have an anonymous US cruiser captain, closer to 600K away, so a longer grind, but offers other choices of ships. Assigned to New Orleans. Could be rotated to Indianapolis without issues, and at some cost in efficiency through Texas, Atlanta, Sims and Monaghan. In addition, I will soon have Salem.

What would you do? Go for the one that's closest? Or pick the second 19 pointer from a different nation to give me a broader range of ships to do the grind in? My current 19 pointer is reasonably well balanced across all my British premiums and his home ship (Edinburgh), but giving the other candidate a different range of ships to play through might make the grind more bearable if I'm not just playing UK ships all the time.

whatever option gives you access to more ships to play, especially on weeks or weekends with 200% win bonuses. My Zao captain can play both Atago's, all the myoko clones and so on. that becomes 5 ships or more to grind elite xp.

[WOLF9]
Members
4,310 posts

yeah, that^.

I would go for the US captain.  Mainly because I made the mistake of having all my 19 pointers on one nation- thus limiting the number of premiums I could use them on, and the number of games I play one.  I have a USN BB and a CA captains, which is less than ideal when playing my numerous DD and CL premiums...  (Boise works just fine w/o IFHE, but Atlanta really suffers in the DPM department without it...)

The US line has a lot of premiums, and most are at least decent to play.  There are only a few which really NEED specific skilled captains- like Atlanta.   I also say this because your NOLA captain will work perfectly on Indy and Salem.   The current snowflake event has increased my EXP total by leaps and bounds- just because I have so many, lol.

I got my first by rotating him through his normal ship (Colorado), then each of my BB premiums for 3 or 4 games each day.   It took some doing, but it got done!

[P-V-E]
Members
1,448 posts

if you have special and economic flags and some good ship camo's

rotate the US commander through Sims and Monaghan and the 19pt UK commander through Cossack and Gallant in operation Dynamo, using the in-game operations chat room to division up with others wanting to play operation dynamo (being that its not operation of the week)

once the US commander is done using the combination of the XP he earn and the EXP the 19pt UK commander did, then switch out the 19pt UK commander for Jack Dunkirk, while leveraging the EXP the new US 19pt one is earning to bring Jack Dunkirk up to 19pts (alternatively just pay the 75k silver each game so you can just keep taking Sims into operation dynamo rather than waiting 30mins to take Sims again, with special and economic flags you will do the 600k in no time to get him to 19pts, then from there he is getting EXP you can use on Jack Dunkirk).

also your currant UK 19pt commander being in Edinburgh, is eligible for the cherry blossom operation, which is another operation that is popular in the in-game operations chat room,

that is the quickest and easiest PvE route.

[ARGSY]
Members
18,141 posts
12,619 battles
7 minutes ago, b101uk said:

if you have special and economic flags and some good ship camo's

This is my problem at the moment. I have quite a few of the camos but not many of the flags, so I can't do the mega-stacking of every possible Captain XP flag and have the huge games right now. I will settle for putting the relevant captains into high rotation.

[VW]
Members
3,893 posts
18,764 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I would emphasize topping up the special captains first and since you already have a 19pt brit capt i would go for topping up yamamoto and putting him in Musashi as well as your highest tier ijn bb. In any event the goal is to have 19 pt captains on whichever nation you have the most premium ships so you can rotate the first win bonus. Personally i find bb captains to earn the most xp since they are also used in ranked, but a cruiser captain can do well too.

Members
821 posts
6,988 battles

Ideally one per class per nation as others have said.  BUT, start by making one per nation so you can rotate your first 19-pointer through all that nation’s premiums every day.  Having two 19-point UK captains doesn’t get you any more “first win” bonuses than one.  But, if you get the American up to 19 points you essentially double the first win bonuses you can use to accumulate your 3rd 19-points.

I understand the desire to have the ideal captain for each ship but that’s the long game. The short game sees that a 19-point Monarch captain will do just fine in a Cossack if you have skills that make the captain a generalist.  My first 19-pointer was in my Fiji and he’s fine in the Nelson, Duke of York, Campbeltown, Warspite, and Cossack (note: all of these ships were free).  From there I got my Charles Martel captain to 19 using my Fiji captain, the Aigle, and DeGrasse- mostly in weekly Ops.  Then, on to my Minsk captain using the first 2 and the Okhotnik and Molotov.

Every time you go after a new nation you essentially unlock all of its premium ships to use.  THEN specialize.

[ARGSY]
Members
18,141 posts
12,619 battles
3 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

since you already have a 19pt brit capt i would go for topping up yamamoto and putting him in Musashi as well as your highest tier ijn bb.

I don't have Yamamoto yet; I'm working on him, though. But if I did, he would be the highest priority since he's already 15 points out of the box and could be finished quickly. As for my highest-tier tech-tree IJN BB, that is currently the Kawachi. I think I'll get up to at least the Kongo or Fuso before plopping him in a tech tree ship.

I don't even want to think about how long it's going to take to get Halsey. I calculated that if you tried to do the Halsey campaign using only the XP tasks, you would easily have a 19 pointer before you had your 15 point Halsey. In reality even the most mind-numbingly focused player doing it in co-op is going to take the cash tasks as well, but there you go.

13 minutes ago, galspanic said:

Having two 19-point UK captains doesn’t get you any more “first win” bonuses than one.  But, if you get the American up to 19 points you essentially double the first win bonuses you can use to accumulate your 3rd 19-points.

This is so very true, and it justifies the suspicion that I've always had in the back of my mind, that 19 pointers should be created in order of the nations in which you have the most premium ships (at reasonably high tiers). I just need to convince myself it's worth the extra hundred thousand or so captain XP I need to grind. :Smile_teethhappy:  

Members
821 posts
6,988 battles
8 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

This is so very true, and it justifies the suspicion that I've always had in the back of my mind, that 19 pointers should be created in order of the nations in which you have the most premium ships (at reasonably high tiers). I just need to convince myself it's worth the extra hundred thousand or so captain XP I need to grind. :Smile_teethhappy:  

Obviously I would agree.  But I think it's also worth noting that there were a couple unsaid things in there.  First, my main goal is to  never play half trained <10 point captains - or have to pay for them with cash or Free EXP.  Second, I play every nation except Pan-SA and Poland, and I play a lot of different ships so overly specializing isn't going to do me much good.  

My highest tier IJN BB in  the tech tree is the one before the carriers.  I use my 15-point Yugumo captain in the Yugumo, Tachibana, Tachibana Lima, Izuchi, Asashio-B, and Musashi.  Is that ideal?  No.  Every ship, however, seems to like Priority Targeting, Expert Marksman, Superintendent, and Concealment Expert.  At the very worst my Yugumo has 15/15 points assigned for good stuff and my Musashi has 12/15... which is fine.  I'm sure the last 4 points will go towards torpedo stuff but there's no real need for that yet.

[VW]
Members
3,893 posts
18,764 battles
45 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I don't have Yamamoto yet; I'm working on him, though. But if I did, he would be the highest priority since he's already 15 points out of the box and could be finished quickly. As for my highest-tier tech-tree IJN BB, that is currently the Kawachi. I think I'll get up to at least the Kongo or Fuso before plopping him in a tech tree ship.

I don't even want to think about how long it's going to take to get Halsey. I calculated that if you tried to do the Halsey campaign using only the XP tasks, you would easily have a 19 pointer before you had your 15 point Halsey. In reality even the most mind-numbingly focused player doing it in co-op is going to take the cash tasks as well, but there you go.

on the contrary, use the captain you wish to max in each successive ship especially in the low tier ships since retraining is so fast and the need for a 19pt commander at tier 3 is negligible. this way you maximize his point gain.

the key to finishing any campaign efficiently is to select the earn credits mission and repeat it until you have all the stars. then pick the next easiest mission (usually spotting or x00 main battery hits etc) and repeat this one as you play. these missions earn themselves merely by regular play. once youve earned haley or whichever commander then go back and select the more painful campaigns if you really want the rewards.

[ARGSY]
Members
18,141 posts
12,619 battles
41 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

on the contrary, use the captain you wish to max in each successive ship especially in the low tier ships since retraining is so fast and the need for a 19pt commander at tier 3 is negligible. this way you maximize his point gain.

I'm not sure we're on the same wavelength here. What I'm talking about is ensuring that any tech-tree battleship I put Yamamoto in is high-enough tier to be eligible for daily missions, etc., which right now means at least T5.  I don't mind taking a 'scratch' zero-point captain through the Kawachi and Myogi grinds, as they are relatively short and I may even free-XP them once I've had some time in each ship and feel that I've experienced them for long enough.

I'm not sure I ever intend to go all the way up to T10 in IJN tech tree BB's, or even T8, so putting him on Kongo or Fuso as his "home" and then putting him in Musashi or Ishizuchi whenever I take them out seems to make most sense to me right now. 

45 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

the key to finishing any campaign efficiently is to select the earn credits mission and repeat it until you have all the stars. then pick the next easiest mission (usually spotting or x00 main battery hits etc) and repeat this one as you play. these missions earn themselves merely by regular play. once youve earned haley or whichever commander then go back and select the more painful campaigns if you really want the rewards.

That's what I'm doing for Yamamoto, and it's why my progress through that has been so fast. I was originally doing the damage tasks in Honourable Service, but it seemed every time I wanted a Japanese ship to do damage on, there either wouldn't be one in the battle or it would be way over the other side of the map. That got old awfully fast, so I started selecting other things and that made progress quicker. It does not seem as difficult to ensure that there is a US ship for me to fire on in every match, though no doubt as soon as I have that one selected, they will also become scarce. The matchmaker seems to know! :Smile_teethhappy:

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
13,627 posts

I still don't have any 19-pt captains.

Tend to play the dailies across a lot of ships instead of grind a handful, so I have a lot of 12 to 15, and a few 16 or 17 point, captains.

[WOLF9]
Members
4,310 posts
8 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I'm currently working on the last step of the Halsey mission- just doing the credits and captain XP missions over and over.    It DOES take forever, but all it requires is to play a tier 8 9 or 10 ship.   And since I'm currently grinding Alsace and Roon; plus the legendary missions for DM and Monty...

Halsey will come in handy- I have only 1 decent captain to spare for the CL line, and it's in Helena.  Where it's gonna stay, lol.   It'll be shared between Helena, Boise, and Atlanta.   Cleveland has an 11 pointer...   Too many freaking keepers in the US lines!   The DD line is even more screwed up- I took my "good" captain off Benson, because I got tired of wasting my time trying to play a high tier DD in Co-op- and put it on my Des Moines.   Thus Farragut's 12 pointer is my best US DD captain, lol.  (at least I have my beloved Sims to cycle him through for extra first win bonus's.   Monacle and Kidd, too if I'm feeling masochistic.)

BB's and CA's are well covered   NC has a 19 pointer to use in all my premium BB's- save Black Mass, which has it's own secondary spec captain.  DM's captain  goes in Indy, Salem, and soon Wichita, whenever that comes out.   There's also an 18 pointer in Buffalo, a 16 in Monty, a 15 in Balti, and NOLA, and a 14 in Colorado.    Nooo, I don't like USN Ca's... Whatever gave you that impression??

Totally off subject:  When playing NOLA for the snowflake mission, I was reminded of how much I like it at tier 7.   I'll take that trade: radar for better MM- any day, and twice on Sundays!   I ended up smashing a Torpitz with a 13k AP salvo (one of many ouchies I planted on him that game), when he had the audacity to try and torp charge me.   Even better- I dodged his torps!   

They don't have torps, and they have the irritating habit of attracting Citadels like nobody;s business, but those 8" guns are things to be feared- they'll hurt anything!    (whenever I need a quick pick me up, I like to play Des Moines- and see how many bot cruisers I can kick in the nuts for multiple citadel salvos, lol.)

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,601 posts
4,602 battles
12 hours ago, BearlyHereBear said:

Do the line you play the most.

And do it in the ship you play the most.

One of my teammates last night was hauling in 70K and 90K CXP by burning his special camos and Draconic signals.  It wouldn't take long.  I'm a little more than 150K from my second and could buy him now with what I have saved.  But I'm so conservative ("How conservative are you?") that I'll likely keep all my camo and points.