You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
desmo_2

Darned premium ship sales!

Help me pick...  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Decision made! De Grasse AND D'Aosta! Thanks!

• Atago - 9,095 doubloons, but I already have ARP Takao...basically the same without the XP bonus?
    • Molotov - 3,185 doubloons. Interesting. I do have Aurora, Varyag, Murmansk, Kutuzov and Kronshtadt. Russian cruisers kinda covered.
    • Z-39 - 4,130 doubloons. I have T-61 and I love it! Enough to justify another premium DD one tier higher?
    • De Grasse - 3,850 doubloons. I have Jean Bart, but no other French premiums...
    • Duca D'Aosta - 3,290 doubloons. I know she isn't great, but Giulio Cesare is my only other Italian premium.
    • Abruzzi - 6,020 doubloons. Another 'meh' Italian cruiser.
    • Gascogne - 10,540. Nope, don't have enough. I have already chapped the wife with a few Xmas crates and a year of premium. I could sneak a gift card purchase and transfer it! :-D

23 comments in this topic

[O_O]
Members
6,213 posts
14,351 battles

I hate these threads.

"Help me decide!"

Decide your darned self!  How am I supposed to know what you want?!?

But...but...I CAN'T DECIDE!  :fish_nerv:

Bear with me, and if you have the patience, help me out.  I bought Kidd, already.  A good T8 DD with a heal and AA is too interesting to pass on.

I have 9,335 doubloons left.  My choices are above.

*EDIT - You guys really helped my decision making...much thanks!  De Grasse and D'Aosta, FTW!

Edited by desmo_2
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,331 posts
17,513 battles

De Grasse is a decent all-round CL. Fun to drive. Good ship. Out of the ones you've listed and with your reasons for and against, that would have my vote. And I'm saying this as a great fan of Atago, but since you already have ARP Takao you're just missing out on camouflage and credit earning bonuses.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,756 posts
22,123 battles

Des, of all the ships on your list, the Atago is great. The extra stealth is nice, just a wonderful ship. The DeGrasse is pretty dang good as well.. Molotov is tuff, she gets punished easily and is really frail, can hit hard, but the skill level is pretty high. The Italian cruisers are kind of fun, I enjoy them but I only play co-op.
I vote for Atago hands down favorite. 

I don't care much for DDs or BBs so making no comment on those.

Edited by Taylor3006

[INTEL]
Members
12,316 posts
34,156 battles

De Grasse you can play in Operations. Ditto for Molotov. But De Grasse is really good. Probably best in that list, then Atago. 

• Cool 2

[KAPPA]
Members
2,797 posts
7,555 battles

Not great?! Duca Daosta and Abruzzi are both lovely ships. Just... skill point intensive. They need at least concealment and last stand, but they beg for IFHE and better turret rotation as well. If you've ever been a fan of Omaha and wanted a tankier, faster Omaha, look no further, for the Ducas are just speedy belly dancers as much as they can wiggle about.

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Members
2,011 posts
7,232 battles

I voted Z-39.  She is a blast to play.  Also since you have 9300 to spend, think about getting the Duca d'Aosta or Molotov too.

[O_O]
Members
6,213 posts
14,351 battles
6 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Not great?! Duca Daosta and Abruzzi are both lovely ships.

I said that based on the feedback I have gotten from others...pretty consistently.

Now, I did play Duca D'Aosta both times I was on the Corgi Captain fleet, and I did quite enjoy her.  She may be a bit challenging, but I'm okay with that.

Members
770 posts
5,218 battles
3 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

I voted Z-39.  She is a blast to play.  Also since you have 9300 to spend, think about getting the Duca d'Aosta or Molotov too.

Tier for tier, Z-39 is a straight up major downgrade over the T-61. I have both. The Z-39 is one of my rare premium ship purchase regrets. 

Duca is underrated. Same with Molotov. The Molotov has laser beams for guns. 

[KWF]
Members
4,013 posts
6,147 battles

If you are in the market for a reliable mid tier CL, De Grasse is excellent. Her shell arcs are the perfect medium ground of offering comfortable long range gunnery and ability to use cover.

If you want something more as a credit earner, Atago is the way. I got mine a few days ago, absolutely satisfied by her performance. However, since you have a Kutuzov I think you are covered on that front.

In general, keep in mind the campaign as well. The more diverse lineup of ships you get, the easier it will be to do the 4 million task in 6 nations without much pain.

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Members
2,011 posts
7,232 battles
4 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

Tier for tier, Z-39 is a straight up major downgrade over the T-61. I have both. The Z-39 is one of my rare premium ship purchase regrets. 

Duca is underrated. Same with Molotov. The Molotov has laser beams for guns. 

I get the T-61 vs. Z-39.  I have both and also prefer the T-61.  Z-39 is still pretty darned fun to drive.

Duca is pretty strong IMO.  Not a lot of downside to her.

Molotov has Dimitri Donskoi guns and can wallop the heck out of most cruisers and dds that she has to fight.  Bit of a glass cannon though.

[O_O]
Members
6,213 posts
14,351 battles
10 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

If you want something more as a credit earner, Atago is the way. I got mine a few days ago, absolutely satisfied by her performance. However, since you have a Kutuzov I think you are covered on that front.

I have 62 premiums and just bought a year of premium time, so credit earning isn't as much of a concern.  At this point I am wanting to have all nations well represented, and/or interesting premiums that offer something different.

[SIM]
Members
4,661 posts
7,770 battles
31 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Not great?! Duca Daosta and Abruzzi are both lovely ships. Just... skill point intensive. They need at least concealment and last stand, but they beg for IFHE and better turret rotation as well. If you've ever been a fan of Omaha and wanted a tankier, faster Omaha, look no further, for the Ducas are just speedy belly dancers as much as they can wiggle about.

No, they aren’t “lovely ships.” They’re both sub-par CLs that require 150% effort to get 100% results. You can cut down a tree with a butter knife, that doesn’t mean that butter knives are good for cutting down trees. 

OP, since you have Takao, I’d suggest De Grasse. If you’re not interested in Operations, then I’d suggest Z-39.

• Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
4,013 posts
6,147 battles
2 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

I have 62 premiums and just bought a year of premium time, so credit earning isn't as much of a concern.  At this point I am wanting to have all nations well represented, and/or interesting premiums that offer something different.

Ah, I see. In that case De Grasse is again quite solid, but ultimately she has pretty standard gameplay compared to her peers.

In that case maybe Molotov with the 180s could offer something different, or even Aosta.

[-RNG-]
[-RNG-]
Members
325 posts
7,520 battles

The Abruzzi just works for me, I like it much better than than the D'Aosta and here's why.

1. Tier 7 MM seems to be in a pretty good spot right now (jinx).

2. The HEAL!!!11!!

3. A little better gun range than the D'Aosta and a little better stealth too. IFHE and Stealth Commander help.

4. If you like run and gun style, it plays similar to IJN Cruisers IMO, it's a fun ship, pretty quick and agile.

5. A lot of toys, 12km torps (sea mines - that surprise some), Hydro, Spotter plane, HEAL!!

Good luck.

-Dig

[KAPPA]
Members
2,797 posts
7,555 battles
1 minute ago, SkaerKrow said:

No, they aren’t “lovely ships.” They’re both sub-par CLs that require 150% effort to get 100% results. You can cut down a tree with a butter knife, that doesn’t mean that butter knives are good for cutting down trees. 

OP, since you have Takao, I’d suggest De Grasse. If you’re not interested in Operations, then I’d suggest Z-39.

Amount of effort required only detracts from a ship if one is too lazy to bother. If one is putting less effort into some ships, that is on them, but that doesn't change that they have agility and speed in spades, allowing one to dodge shells that would hit other ships, and doing things most other CLs simply can't do.

A ship that handles well, doesn't fight you for control of your guns in turns, has absurdly comfy torpedo arcs, has a great torpedo range and reload, doesn't force one to choose def AA over hydro, and is about as flexible as they come is, indeed, a lovely ship. Are there better performers? Perhaps, but premiums aren't meant to be strong, only different. And these ships are quite different, if you ask me, offering things you only usually see in a DD. Of course, a less skilled commander will cause the ships to be more difficult, but that's true with most ships. The Ducas are point hungry, but that doesn't make them worse than any other point hungry ship, as at least it's not as hungry as, say, Atlanta, which practically requires an 18 pointer custom built for her.

And, above that, it's the price that brings my recommendation. 3k doubloons for a fun ship is a pretty nice deal, especially when the only other ones of note on the list are Z-39 and Molly, the latter of which being about as punishing of a ship as I've played, fun or not.

[BNKR]
Members
1,574 posts
2,090 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

De Grasse is a decent all-round CL. Fun to drive. Good ship. Out of the ones you've listed and with your reasons for and against, that would have my vote. And I'm saying this as a great fan of Atago, but since you already have ARP Takao you're just missing out on camouflage and credit earning bonuses.

Agreed; I like De Grasse as well. She's fun and a good performer.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
Members
6,708 posts
12,763 battles

I'd choose.....

XP conversion which is currently at 35/doub RIGHT NOW.

That Free XP can be used in such wonderful ways...  like bypassing the normal 'A-Hulls' that go with grinding.

[O_O]
Members
6,213 posts
14,351 battles

Wow, this thread actually REALLY helped me.  Your comments were most beneficial (+1's to the ones that influenced me), and really helped me decide not only what ship, but what I wanted from it.

Although I have wanted Atago for a while, and she is highly recommended, having ARP Takao turned me away from her.

With your help, I decided what I really want is more nations, more lines.  With that, a ship I wasn't really considering all that strongly suddenly became the front runner.  So, my choice is:

De Grasse!

...and D'Aosta!

Two cruisers for nations I have only a single premium each for.

Thanks for all your help, gang!  This forum is a great resource!  :cap_like::Smile_honoring:

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,331 posts
17,513 battles
6 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

So, my choice is:

De Grasse!

Nice, nice, you'll not regret your choice.

7 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

...and D'Aosta!

Aaaand now you've ruined it.

Just kidding. D'aosta isn't that horrible. It just has an unfortunate combination of mediocre guns, weak AP and extremely soft hull / citadel. She can still do work, just requires more effort.

[O_O]
Members
6,213 posts
14,351 battles
19 minutes ago, Lert said:

Aaaand now you've ruined it.

Well, I'm sure the Italian line is coming at some point, and now I can start working up a cruiser captain.